Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Similarly, in Crested Butte, Colo., on the trail that goes northwest from town (it may be the Lower Upper Loop), there's a place where horses are directed to one side and hikers and cyclists to the other. The trail separation runs for quite a ways, maybe 0.1 miles.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto'n'PushBiker View Post
    I just saw this on Skyline trail in Castle Rock State park.
    Same sign in Arastradero - bypass of a steep paved section for bikes and horses - less steep singletrack around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    JDT memorial DH race while the berms are still there.

That is all.

middle ring single track

Do you like Pliny?

Which part is not standard? The signage or the fact that there's 2 trails depending on the users?

I just saw this on Skyline trail in Castle Rock State park. The left side for pedestrians is not passable to bikers and equestrians, because rocks protrude into the trail with a steep drop off on the downhill side.
    If so, I owe you one!

Maybe we should start a new Pliny contest; "Show Us Your Split Trail Signs In CA State Parks".

I'll pass this around, I don't think it'll change the minds of those in charge in the Monterey District; I've already been told that "Coe has its own set of standards" (or something to that effect).
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

middle ring single track

Doesn't count....

Quote Originally Posted by imtnbke View Post
    Similarly, in Crested Butte, Colo., on the trail that goes northwest from town (it may be the Lower Upper Loop), there's a place where horses are directed to one side and hikers and cyclists to the other. The trail separation runs for quite a ways, maybe 0.1 miles.
    Has to be in a California State Park; I can think of many parks in CA with split trails.

When I find the time I'll post the USFS Trails Handbook page dealing with the how/when/why's to building bifurcated (split) trails.

All good common-sense stuff....

The "Ichabod's Oak" bypass might have been OK had it been put in the paperwork at the outset of the project. Too late now apparently.
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member
    I would hope state parks would have some kind of amendment process for a PEF. I know Timber Harvest Plans and all kinds of other planning documents like this get amended all the time. Some times your original plan on paper doesn't pan out with the on the ground situation. Pretty lame for state parks to make you guys and gals spend lots of hard labor undoing the excellent fruits of your hard labor so a state park employee doesn't have to deal with some paperwork.

I think that will be the basis of my letter.

-Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    If so, I owe you one!

Maybe we should start a new Pliny contest; "Show Us Your Split Trail Signs In CA State Parks".

I'll pass this around, I don't think it'll change the minds of those in charge in the Monterey District; I've already been told that "Coe has its own set of standards" (or something to that effect).
    This picture is in fact on Skyline trail in Castle Rock State Park. I hiked it the other day and remembered that the split trail was one thing that was seen as questionable on JDT. So I took a picture of it.

Drew, if you can post your letter that would be good. Especially the part about asking to amending the PEF. I want to write a letter to - not sure when I get to it.
    Correct number of bikes: n+1 bikes
    Correct body weight: m-10 pounds

Is now still the time?
    That's awesome to see that split in Castle Rock SP (I wonder whether it was really necessary). The trail is supposed to officially open tomorrow I thought:

"Dear Donors

Due to impending rain this weekend and next week, their calling for possibly an inch of rain this weekend, we will post-pone the opening of Skyline Trail. The following week is looking drier at this point, so the opening date will be pushed back to Friday April 6th. Sorry for the inconvenience, but this are uncontrollable factors we work under when trying open up a trail during rainy months. If you could please pass on this information to your club members.

Thanks
    Chris Pereira"

ROMP and MBOSC donated funds to make that trail possible.

As for the JDT, we have to see how the Trails Supervisor will handle it. I'm quite sure I heard the prohibition of dual trail-ways in a lecture. In Coe there's an "accidental" double trail now on the Coit Spring Trail just east of the spring, where a certain "over-enthusiastic" volunteer made a bypass option of a technical rock outcrop. That was carved out of rock and can't be undone, and stands to this day, and is often used in the manner it was created for.
    SOrCerer

Is now still the time?
    Update on the bypass on the Skyline Trail:

Yesterday after work my wife and I went up there to hike and look at the new MUT version of the Skyline Trail and have a picnic-sunset dinner. We've been on this piece of trail many times in the past, long before there was a Bay Area Ridge Trail too. Some thoughts on the bypass there:

1. It's a long bypass, at least 1/4 mile.
    2. The mountain bikers are prohibited from the better piece of the trail obviously because of the rock formations encroaching on trail down there, making it narrower than the 4 ft wide DPR Class1 MUT standard.
    3. Ironic that the mountain bike club donations to the DPR were use to construct a large fence to prohibit bikes on a section of trail and enlarge/update an already fine trail.
    4. There's a few hundred yards of new trail construction overall, as far as I could tell, which includes some realignments and all new benching.
    5. There are new bridges and retaining walls throughout.
    6. A huge amount of timber in the trail corridor has been removed which is great, and some of the tan bark oak removed looks like it may have been sick with sudden oak death fungus.
    7. This was an expensive project and must have cost way much more than what ROMP and
    MBOSC donated. It will be interesting to see the budget.
    8. We didn't have time to walk the entire new trail yet.
    9. The closed sign at 1.2 miles was still there. We hiked a only a 10th of a mile past the sign on the new bench, and it intersected an old paved driveway which we took right (the Skylione Trail continued to the left), west, to a gate and out to a view point pull out on Skyline and picnicked there.
    10. It appears that the trail opening "ceremony" schedule for the 6th did not happen, and we are awaiting an update from Castlerock SP.

SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post

7. This was an expensive project and must have cost way much more than what ROMP and MBOSC donated. It will be interesting to see the budget.

Much more than what ROMP and MBOSC donated. There was a bunch of rockwork and those big rocks move very slowly. Most of the fill they used under the bench was rock crush that they made on site. That trail should hold up pretty well even with all the highway related drainage issues (be glad CALTRANS isn't working anywhere near Coe trails).

dp

Is now still the time?
    Concerning the Skyline Trail ,this came in this morning:

The sign was forgotten by mistake, I'm sending staff up this morning to pull the sign and cut out the down tree near Saratoga Gap.

Thanks

Chris

Concerning the JDT, I see there is a new sign at the top of the JDT:

SOrCerer

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    Concerning the JDT, I see there is a new sign at the top of the JDT:...
    I saw it too (as Charlie mentioned in another Coe thread). Here is a bigger version of the same view (click to read every word on the sign). Did you get a laugh out of it?
    Inch by inch, I will get there! (See my rides and stuff here.)

mtbr member
    Ha, is there a missing sign now at FE? I smell the work of Sally...
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    About the sign: Is the old or new JDT closed? I was hoping to get a ride in this week depending on how bad the rain is going to be. It's definitely closed Friday w/ the VoCal work right?

Is now still the time?
    Staff has not made any announcement. The trail is open during construction and safety is up to you.

Or is safety down on you?
    Last edited by Sorcerer; 04-30-2012 at 11:32 PM.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Moto'n'PushBiker; 04-09-2012 at 10:59 PM.

middle ring single track

Busy weekend at Coe...

About the sign: Is the old or new JDT closed? I was hoping to get a ride in this week depending on how bad the rain is going to be. It's definitely closed Friday w/ the VoCal work right?
    ...there's stuff going on all over the Park. Parking will be tight.

The JDT will have VOCal trail work activities Fri-Sat-Sun with Saturday being the busiest day. I don't think much is happening on the JDT Friday AM; you might be able to sneak a ride in then. There is an expectation that staff will be closing the trail those days but who knows?

Is now still the time?
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Looking for love amongst the Banana Slugs

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by Nine View Post
    If your point about future generations of people being able to see new trees is a concern
    here, I could stir the pot some more by suggesting a pig hunt to protect the new growth.
    Although some might even agree with that, this is yet another snide remark, so everyone
    please iron your chonies.
    The state already is doing pig hunts in the area as well as other research to determine the best way to deal with them as an invasive species. I'm not sure if they are doing them in Coe specifically but south towards Hollister for sure.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

Axe
    Custom User Title
    That looks like an expensive and permanent sign.

Sad. At least that are not claiming that we are running over snakes on a fireroad.

mtbr member
    Is the VoCal event still on for this weekend?

Is now still the time?
    Hi Michael,

Yes the event is on for this weekend. It's going to be nice.
    SOrCerer

middle ring single track

On-again; Off-again; On-again; Off-again...

Quote Originally Posted by M3ichael View Post
    Is the VoCal event still on for this weekend?
    ...ON AGAIN!

Yes Michael please come! (Bring as many other MORCANs as you can)

Soil conditions should be primo!

Free food!

Free beer!

Volunteers for Outdoor California

Photobucket
    Free ticks! (an honest-to-god un-staged photo from this AM) BTW; spelling should be "Donnelly"

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Props to you guys for your impressive efforts on this trail!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast