mtbr member
    Feb 2005

jericho leadfoot gearing question

i have a jericho leadfoot, and i want to change the gearing. i'm currently running 34/17. i originally wanted 34/18, but when i bought the bike the shop told me that gearing wouldn't work due, i guess, to the range of the EBB. the shop also told me that the next easiest gearing i could run is 36/19, if my memory is correct. does anyone know what gearing is possible? i would ask the shop, but it doesn't exist anymore. thanks.

mtbr member

my leadfoot

I run 34/18 gearing on my leadfoot, no problems here... That's the reason for the ebb, to adjust chain tension...
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon
    i have a jericho leadfoot, and i want to change the gearing. i'm currently running 34/17. i originally wanted 34/18, but when i bought the bike the shop told me that gearing wouldn't work due, i guess, to the range of the EBB. the shop also told me that the next easiest gearing i could run is 36/19, if my memory is correct. does anyone know what gearing is possible? i would ask the shop, but it doesn't exist anymore. thanks.
    If you have an older Jericho Leadfoot, the EBB was manufactured a bit small and it did not have the full range of adjustability to accomodate all gear combination.

So if you have good tension with a 34/17, you couldn't run a 34/18 and tension the chain properly. You can run a 34/19 though. The solution to this is to get a BMX halflink chain which allows better chain length adjustment. Or change the front chainring.

The newer Jerichos didn't have this problem.

fc

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    thanks francois. i pretty sure mine's an older one, i bought it in the beginning of 2002. what you say matches what the shop said at the time.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    The solution to this is to get a BMX halflink chain which allows better chain length adjustment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    would a halflink allow me to run 34/18? thanks.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon
    would a halflink allow me to run 34/18? thanks.
    Yup. It looks something like this. You can take out one link at a time instead of two on a normal chain.
    http://www.treefortbikes.com/226_333...in-Silver.html

fc

Medium?
    Yup. It looks something like this. You can take out one link at a time instead of two on a normal chain.
    That's extra zooty, but for half that price you can get a normal bmx chain and one half link that will solve the problem just the same.

Medium?
    That's extra zooty, but for half that price you can get a normal bmx chain and one half link that will solve the problem just the same, and if you search around some you'll be able to find a 7/16" half-link to make a normal 8 speed chain work.