It's about showing up.

Iron Angels was a blast

The Norcal High School Racers hit the course with abandone on Sunday. It is a curiously fast course with bottlenecks and hazards and made for some pretty interesting racing. The developing El Cerrito Club held its own with 6 top 10 finishes and a handfull more in the top 15. As 21 of our 26 racers are Frosh/Soph we are very happy with our performance as we challenge the other deeper clubs.

Fred the Trog stopped by to say hello and we got a chance to talk about his efforts to support some riders in Mexico and we hope to be able to support his work in January. I even got a glimpse of the rare spotted and herbacious Wherewolf but was unable to get closer than about 200 yards. It is really great to travel around our great state and meet people who support us.

We have gone from 10 racers last year to as many as 26 this year. The Club has moved to the next level this season with the inclusion all the new blood. Parents have stepped forward to made our race presence so much more enjoyable. They put out quite a spread of fresh food; bagels, fruits, cookies, chili, sliced veggies and dip, salsa, chips and quacamole, coffee and juices and such. They have also come forward to take on many of my tasks which include Treasurer, Fundraising, Race Site Prep, Transportation, and, most importantly, coffee. I noticed that other clubs are starting to follow suit. Our Coaching Staff has also expenaded to include 7 adults who contribute at various times in our week and on Race Day. And somehow, everyone is still having fun.

We will be at Boggs for the championships and hope that our MTBR friends will stop by to say hello. The support we have recieved from this forum was key to integrating our new members early this season. Our ability to put kids on bikes we created with your help and get so many new kids rolling gave us credibility with our new parents. We would be quite a different Club without your contributions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 04-24-2006 at 12:07 PM.

Ride what you want!!
    Good to hear.

I thought about driving up there but I figured at $3 a gallon I'd stay close to home and ride.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr dismember

Nice race but...

Nice race but the lighting was terrible. Overcast and quite dark. I had to shoot at ISO 800 and sometimes even 1600. So I'm not too thrilled with my photos. Also, since they eliminated the jump there was not too much exciting to photograph. I did get a few falls on the muddy approach to the wooden bridge. Perhaps I'll find a few worth posting later.

It's about showing up.

You are starting to sound like a real photographer.

And you are you own worst critic. I no longer have the presence of mind to shoot during races. I'm just too busy and take snaps. I'd sure be pleased to see anything you have of our kids. I'll send you one of our Club t-shirts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes that race was quite from. I'm from Novato High and I think our tent was cet up next to Cerrito's. Unfortunately I lost a pedal at the beginning of the second lap. I managed to finish that lap, but was bumbed i had to settle with a DNF . However I was still having fun helping and cheering on all the other riders. Due to my dismal performances at the races, I think I might bring out and race the bullit for the state championships. Should be interesting.

It's about showing up.

You guys are shaping up nicely.

I remember when you first got your Black and yellow jerseys and it is clear you are making a serious effort and have some fine results. Your race is one of many you will have. All anyone expects is that you make your best effort to prepare yourself and race your best.
    Racing requires the accumulation of many skills, one of which is dealing with what racing throws at you. Another is allowing yourself the time to build your experience.
    I'd like to ask you to rethink racing the Bullit. In a young club every effort needs to be the best you have for each race. This builds integrity and solidfies the group. Everyone sees that you are serious about what you do and that you are invested in the Jersey. It's not like this is do or die but, none the less, showing that you care helps everyone through the tough times.
    One of your boys had a nasty crash at the start and was unable to continue. He took it hard; it meant something to him. Tossing yourself out there in the Championships on the Bullit for the heck of it cheapens something meaningful to at least one club member I can think of. Get your regular rig clean, lubed, and tuned. Take care of your legs. Eat and rest well this week and get ready to race at Boggs. Ride very lightly no later than Friday and rest Saturday.
    See you at the races.

The top image is of your club from last Sunday. The bottom is from our club in it's second year. It takes time. Hang on. Be there.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 04-24-2006 at 11:22 PM.

ol'guy who says hi &waves

1. The "rare spotted herbacious Wherewolf" in repose
    Last edited by fred-da-trog; 04-25-2006 at 04:15 AM.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

It's about showing up.

I believe, and correct me if I am wrong,

that this is the Red Billed spotted and Herbacious Wherewolf. That is quite a sighting. Hopefull the next time you see him he will be wearing an El Cerrito Racing t-shirt.

mtbr dismember

Fred-da-trog photos

Fred-da-trog finished third in Beginner I believe.

On the trail

At the finish

I believe she finished about 10th in Beginner

mtbr dismember

Don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    that this is the Red Billed spotted and Herbacious Wherewolf. That is quite a sighting. Hopefull the next time you see him he will be wearing an El Cerrito Racing t-shirt.
    I don't get this one

It's about showing up.

If you send me photos of my El Cerrito kids

I will send you a club t-shirt pictured on the stud in the image provided.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf

I believe she finished about 10th in Beginner

She finished 2nd in "Beginner Juniors" She's nine years old and I believe it was her first race. Awesome.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

MTBr ReMember

We are looking forward to...

...hosting the championship race at Boggs.
    I know at least one MTBr member will be there to cheer you on!
    See you Sunday,
    Tim