More pie please

2018 Board elections for Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District

The window is open for candidate filing. You have until August 10, 2018. There is some paperwork and you need 50 signatures.

https://www.openspace.org/about-us/election-information

The scheme is that the people residing in Ward 1, vote in the Ward 1 election. Those in Ward 2, vote in the Ward 2 election. And so on... Here is a map of the Wards: https://www.openspace.org/sites/default/files/WardMapBasic_2014.pdf The election is November 6, 2018.

Here are the four seats up this round:

• Ward 1 (Cupertino, Los Gatos, Monte Sereno, Saratoga)
    Pete Siemens (Incumbent)

• Ward 2 (Cupertino, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Palo Alto, Stanford, Sunnyvale)
    Yoriko Kishimoto (Incumbent)

• Ward 5 (East Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Stanford)
    Nonette Hanko (Incumbent)

• Ward 6 (Atherton, La Honda, Loma Mar, Menlo Park, Pescadero, Portola Valley, Redwood City, San Gregorio, Woodside)
    Larry Hassett (Incumbent)

The county's current Roster of Candidates:

Santa Clara:

Important Deadline:2018 Board elections for Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District-santa-clara-00.jpg

San Mateo:

Important Deadline:2018 Board elections for Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District-san-mateo-00.jpg

Conspicuously absent is Ward 5 incumbent Nonette Hanko.

Of course we would like to mtbr member Mike Buncic (“diskus” ) to run and get elected.

This thread from 2014 has a lot of good information: 2014 Board elections for Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District- Mtbr.com

I plan to keep updating this thread, and if you've ever thought about it, run for office.

///Charlie
    Last edited by Skyline35; 08-23-2018 at 07:31 AM. Reason: To reinstate images.
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I looked into this, ultimately I did not have the time to dedicate, there's a lot of work to win these.

he who goes without food
    As of this moment no-one has indicated any intention that they will run from Ward 5, Palo Alto and Menlo Park. If no one does, some one will be appointed.

More pie please
    Update for August 8, 2018

Santa Clara:

Important Deadline:2018 Board elections for Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District-santa-clara-01.jpg

Both Ward 1 candidates are qualified and on the ballot.

San Mateo:

Important Deadline:2018 Board elections for Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District-san-mateo-01.jpg

Today a new candidate for Ward 6 popped up, Carter Jensen Warr. A web search says Mr. Warr is an architect in Portola Valley and a member of the Woodside Mounted Patrol. (Will have to confirm that, of course.)

Still no one seeking Ward 5. Two days left to apply...

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    What do we need to do to get someone to seek election for Ward 5? I can't run myself but I'm happy to provide support by collecting signatures, or really anything else. Seems like a can't-miss opportunity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Open MidPen Board Seat - Filing deadline Friday, August 10th.

As of this moment, no one has filed paperwork to run for the open directors seat of Ward 5 (Palo Alto, Menlo Park) of Mid Pen OSD. Nonette Hanko is the incumbent of over 40 years. If no one files, her replacement will be appointed. Election Information https://openspace.org/about-us/election-information

Filing deadline Friday, August 10th.

Sorry for late notice I've been traveling.

More pie please
    See 2018 Board elections for Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District- Mtbr.com

(I hate seeing a topic get splintered.)

Thank you for the thread merge and sticky!

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

Moderator Moderator
    Threads merged, and stuck.

mtbr member
    Somebody run for Ward 5!

More pie please

Regarding the Ward 5 deadline

Quote Originally Posted by Sean SVMTB View Post
    As of this moment, no one has filed paperwork to run for the open directors seat of Ward 5 (Palo Alto, Menlo Park) of Mid Pen OSD. Nonette Hanko is the incumbent of over 40 years. If no one files, her replacement will be appointed.

Filing deadline Friday, August 10th.
    Regarding the Ward 5 deadline...it appears that since Ms Hanko (incumbent) is not running, the filing deadline is Wednesday August 15th...

If nomination papers for an incumbent are not filed by August 10, 2018, the voters shall have until 5:00 p.m. on August 15, 2018, to nominate candidates other than the incumbent for such office.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

Formerly dvo
    Aren’t you a Palo Alto resident Charlie? Care to be a politician?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm the problem....

Paper or plastic?
    Isn't 5k a shallow alto resident?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    Aren’t you a Palo Alto resident Charlie? Care to be a politician?
    No, and NO !!!

No changes today to the candidate rosters.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Isn't 5k a shallow alto resident?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    I plead the fifth!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Note that the ward boundaries do not match the city or county boundaries.
    5th ward looks to include part (but not all) of Palo Alto and Menlo Park, all of E Palo Alto, and also bits of... maybe Los Altos Hills? And Los Altos? The map isn't very clear but is visible in the very top of the OP here. It goes all the way to Skyline Blvd, though of course much of that only has midpen reserves in it. Though a few people live in those!

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    Note that the ward boundaries do not match the city or county boundaries.
    5th ward looks to include part (but not all) of Palo Alto and Menlo Park, all of E Palo Alto, and also bits of... maybe Los Altos Hills? And Los Altos? The map isn't very clear but is visible in the very top of the OP here. It goes all the way to Skyline Blvd, though of course much of that only has midpen reserves in it. Though a few people live in those!
    I agree that Ward map needs more detail. Oddly, that part of Ward 5 which goes up to Skyline is actually Palo Alto. It was annexed—early 1960s I believe—because some residents up there wanted Palo Alto utilities.

The Ward 5 spot is no longer vacant; Karen Holman, Palo Alto city council member, has entered:

Important Deadline:2018 Board elections for Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District-santa-clara-2-.jpg

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

More pie please
    Appearing on the latest San Mateo roster for Ward 5 is another Palo Alto city council member, Gregory Scharff:

Important Deadline:2018 Board elections for Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District-san-mateo-02.jpg

Both Holman and Scharff have hit their city council term limits this year.

Note the "EXTENDED" in the Ward 5 title above; this confirms the August 15th filing deadline.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

he who goes without food
    Well then if everyone on the list qualifies, that means three of four seats will be elected. That's the way it should always be.

Moderator Moderator
    Some info on the Ward 5 candidates.

https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/...space-district

More pie please

Council rivals go head-to-head for seat on Midpen open space board

https://padailypost.com/2018/10/10/c...n-space-board/

BY ALLISON LEVITSKY, Daily Post Staff Writer

October 10, 2018 8:24 pm

Palo Alto Councilman Greg Scharff is challenging his ideologically opposed colleague, Councilwoman Karen Holman, for a seat on the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District board — but says he didn’t know Holman was running until he pulled his nomination papers at the county Registrar of Voters’ office.

“I was a little, like, ‘Really?’’ Scharff told the Post, explaining that his decision to run “had nothing to do with Karen.”

“I had no idea that Karen was the anointed person,” Scharff said. “Then I found out that the entire board endorsed her before I even got to meet with them.”

Holman, on the other hand, had been thinking about running since April 16, 2016, when district founder Nonette Hanko, 86, pulled her aside at the grand opening of the Cooley Landing Educational Center in East Palo Alto.

Hanko, who has represented Ward 5 — Palo Alto, East Palo Alto, Stanford and Menlo Park — on the board since 1972, told Holman that she was planning to step down after 46 years and asked Holman to run for her seat.

Holman mulled it over for two years, then decided to go for it.

“I called her this spring and said, ‘I guess I owe you an answer,’” Holman said. “She was delighted at that.”

Holman, 69, said there would be “no replacing Nonette,” who spearheaded a two-county initiative to form the special district in 1970. She served six terms as president of the board and is widely credited with preserving the foothills around Palo Alto.

In April, Holman said she called the district clerk, said she’d be pulling papers to run and found out what the deadlines were to nominate herself. She also asked a couple of board members if they knew if anyone else would be running.

Scharff, 55, said his “first inkling” that Holman was running was on Aug. 10, when he visited the registrar’s office in San Jose to pull nomination papers.

Support from Midpen board

All seven current board members, as well as former Executive Director Steve Abbors, have endorsed Holman.

Scharff has been endorsed by Coastal Conservancy Executive Officer Sam Schuchat and all six of his fellow board members on the San Francisco Bay Restoration Authority board, which gives out money to restore the wetlands.

Both Holman and Scharff participated in a forum with the South Bay Labor Council on Wednesday but said they weren’t seeking union endorsements.

Holman said she’s the best candidate for the job because she has a long-standing interest in environmental conservation and co-chaired the district’s Visioning Citizens Advisory Committee that led to Measure AA, a $300 million bond measure approved by voters in June 2014.

Fire prevention

She co-authored a City Council memo in 2015 urging the addition of 7.7 acres to Foothills Park, lobbied for retaining an appropriate tree-trimming cycle in town and argued against the development of an anaerobic digester waste facility in the Baylands.

Holman said she has a good working relationship with several employees at the district. She said she wants to look more deeply at fire prevention and consider camera surveillance equipment that could identify fires, especially in sensitive and vulnerable areas.

She also said she wanted to bolster the district’s shuttle program and look at ways to collaborate with cities and other entities to bring groups of kids, veterans, seniors and homeless people to preserves.

Scharff has served on the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission for five years and chairs its five-member enforcement committee. He’s also the vice president of the executive board of the Association of Bay Area Governments.

Conservation, restoration experience

He said serving on the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space board would be a logical next step for him, given his years of experience in conservation, environmental restoration and climate protection.

Scharff also touted his finance background, including his service on the council Finance Committee and the financing authority of the Association of Bay Area Governments.

The Bay Conservation and Development Commission restores wetlands, manages the bay, protects it from pollution and interacts with regulatory agencies such as the Regional Water Quality Control Board and the state Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Scharff said he wanted to understand why the district’s parks have so few trash cans, benches and picnic tables.

Throughout her two terms on City Council, Holman has voted with the Residentialist faction, supporting slow growth. Scharff has been a more development-minded councilman throughout his two terms.

Both are stepping down from council this year because they’ve both served their maximum of two consecutive terms.

Edit to add that the next day the Palo Alto Post endorsed Karen Holman:
    https://padailypost.com/2018/10/11/e...n-space-board/
    Last edited by Skyline35; 39 Minutes Ago at 07:43 AM. Reason: Adding information
    Long live long rides

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by doctapow View Post
    It looks like 4 of the 7 director positions on MROSD are up for election this year.

Is there any information / opinions out there on where the candidates sit on mountain bike related issues?
    A recap of were we stand now...

• Ward 1 (Cupertino, Los Gatos, Monte Sereno, Saratoga)
    Pete Siemens (Incumbent) vs Mike Buncic. Clearly mountain bikers would want Mike.

• Ward 2 (Cupertino, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Palo Alto, Stanford, Sunnyvale)
    Yoriko Kishimoto (Incumbent). No opponent.

• Ward 5 (East Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Stanford)
    Nonette Hanko (Incumbent, not running). Karen Holman vs Greg Scharff. Two former Palo Alto City Council member; this is unknown.

• Ward 6 (Atherton, La Honda, Loma Mar, Menlo Park, Pescadero, Portola Valley, Redwood City, San Gregorio, Woodside)
    Larry Hassett (Incumbent). It appears that Carter Jensen Warr never qualified for the ballot so Hassett is unopposed.
    Long live long rides