Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

If I can clean China Camp, What's my next place to ride?

I know China camp is the "easiest" of all the Bay Area single tracks. It is pretty fun though and I can do it with out stopping all in a little over an hour.

What is the next Single track out there that I can try and concur? I'd like to hit up a part of Skeggs. Honestly I'm way to intimidated and don't know a damn thing about the place though. Demo (corral) looks like fun also, but again...pretty intimidated. It's just I don't how steep any parts are, etc. I can climb a little, but am no means a Mission Peaker.

: Yes, I'm new to this chit or I wouldn't be asking. Help a brother out.

Dropshot Champ!
    natural next step would be tamarancho. Some cool little sections to challenge you and the switchbacks are fun. Plus, its closer than the others!

mtbr member
    I'll look it up. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Camp Tamarancho looks like fun.

Camp Tamarancho - Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    +1 tamarancho

Lusus Naturae
    Annadel. We're there Sunday.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by S/X Runner View Post
    I know China camp is the "easiest" of all the Bay Area single tracks. It is pretty fun though and I can do it with out stopping all in a little over an hour.

What is the next Single track out there that I can try and concur? I'd like to hit up a part of Skeggs. Honestly I'm way to intimidated and don't know a damn thing about the place though. Demo (corral) looks like fun also, but again...pretty intimidated. It's just I don't how steep any parts are, etc. I can climb a little, but am no means a Mission Peaker.

You might be missing out on some of china camp. Every time we ride it, we end up around 16 miles with some good climbing and a couple nice technical areas with a bunch of loose baby heads and nice ruts

Uncle
    +1 to what NoBalance said: Annadel. It's a bit of a haul to get there, but there's a lot of great trail there -- rougher and steeper than CC in most places, but not as ledgy as some of Tamarancho. If you hit up Tamarancho, I recommend doing so with a guide. And of course, buy your pass online or at Sunshine Bikes before riding.

Another spot to consider isn't really any more technical than CC, but is way bigger, and the sandy terrain provides a different type of challenge / lesson. That spot would be what some call Planet Ord. Lots of single track hidden out in Ford Ord. Again, see if you can find someone to follow around out there.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Wēk Ss
    Ride where ever you want. I used to think like you, and said I had to build up in "levels". Well, screw that, just ride it. Who cares if you have to stop or redo a section or walk a part. Life is too short to make riding a job. The first time through any new trail is the hardest. Ride it again, toss in variety from different parks or trails, and just go.

Go hit Skegg's, go hit Demo, go hit Wilder Ranch, go hit Fort Ord, go hit Annadel, go hit Tamarancho, go hit Bogg's, go hit Waterdog, and go hit CC again. Ride with friends to get intro to parks, it makes it way more fun.

Don't stress out, don't worry about cleaning a park before moving on, just ride!

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Clear China Camp?

I am impressed if you are single speeding. Try that. I have been riding China Camp 20 years, and if I put most of it together it takes 3 hours. You can find more to ride there. I agree with other posters about other rides. My favorite is always a new area that someone can show me-single track!

ballbuster

Work on....

... cleaning the climb from #8 to #2. It's a tough steep climb, but totally do-able.

*edit*

Wait... looks like you haven't made the summit yet. Clean that from both sides.

aka baycat
    Have someone show you around China Camp, there are better trails and tighter singletrack elsewhere.

Tamarancho and Annadel are great on the ss. Skeggs is good given the right route, but there are walls to climb

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Some really good options and areas.

I'll hook up with someone to show me around CC a bit more.

I'll have to find #8 and #2 climbs. Is 8 or 2 directly next to the camp grounds (by the big parking lot)?
    If so I had to hike the entire way one day. I couldn't do it. It eventually meet up with "down hill single track" part of CC.

mtbr member
    BTW, I'm not on a SS.

ballbuster

well....

Thanks guys. Some really good options and areas.

I'll hook up with someone to show me around CC a bit more.

I'll have to find #8 and #2 climbs. Is 8 or 2 directly next to the camp grounds (by the big parking lot)?
    If so I had to hike the entire way one day. I couldn't do it. It eventually meet up with "down hill single track" part of CC.
    Looking closer at the map, I'm not sure #2 and #8 are where I'm thinking. You know where you roll down that chute and end up where that 48kV Powerline tower is... at the steep fireroad intersection? It looks like you made it there, and turned left to shoot down the steep short fireroad and picked up the singletrack again. Instead of going down there, turn right and go up the steep fireroad and climb all the way up to the paved ridge road.

But yeah.... this isn't 'Super Mario Brothers' where you have to complete one level to go on to the next level. If you feel up for it, give Tamarancho a spin. Slightly more skill involved, but if you can make it around CC, you can probably make it around most of Tamarancho. If you have to walk a couple spots, no big.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 12-10-2011 at 03:50 PM.

mtbr member
    From one Clyde noob to another: [fist bump] Right on Sean!!! Set your own goals and be proud of every one you accomplish!
    "That's the smell of fitness."
    Foster Farms MTB Chickens

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I suggest exploring Rockville Hills Park. There are a number of trails of widely varying difficulty from buff singletrack to steep and chunky. You can spend all day there, and it's a perfect place to improve your technical riding if you interested in going that route. I started there on my old busted middle school rigid bike, and now ride it on my 6.5" chunder muncher and it still continues to challenge me. Endless lines.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Looking closer at the map, I'm not sure #2 and #8 are where I'm thinking. You know where you roll down that chute and end up where that 48kV Powerline tower is... at the steep fireroad intersection? It looks like you made it there, and turned left to shoot down the steep short fireroad and picked up the singletrack again. Instead of going down there, turn right and go up the steep fireroad and climb all the way up to the paved ridge road.

But yeah.... this isn't 'Super Mario Brothers' where you have to complete one level to go on to the next level. If you feel up for it, give Tamarancho a spin. Slightly more skill involved, but if you can make it around CC, you can probably make it around most of Tamarancho. If you have to walk a couple spots, no big.
    Yeah I looked at your map. I usually just go straight down from the power tower thing to hit the single track. I'll take a swift right next time and climb that section. I've seen a few people come down there (towards the power tower thing then hit the single track). I don't even live close to CC; I live in Fremont. LOL. It was just a place I heard was "beginner friendly".

Quote Originally Posted by BeeRoose View Post
    From one Clyde noob to another: [fist bump] Right on Sean!!! Set your own goals and be proud of every one you accomplish!
    Thanks bro. I am pretty proud of what I done so far, i guess. I feel I can/should do more. Last time I tried MP (Oholne side) I failed. I feel as if I should be able to do it with out to much trouble. I decided to try some road riding (on the MTB) last week because my tires are damn bald. I rode from Niles Canyon to the end of Palomares and back.

It was pretty fun. A few road bike guys flew by me like I was standing still. I was probably going 3 MPH and they were probably doing 8ish. I kinda laughed to myself thinking DAMN, you guys are haul'n some azz. It was the longest ride I have ever done road or dirt, so that felt good. I realized I need to get some better mtb cloths. I was pretty cold on the way down both times.

Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I suggest exploring Rockville Hills Park. There are a number of trails of widely varying difficulty from buff singletrack to steep and chunky. You can spend all day there, and it's a perfect place to improve your technical riding if you interested in going that route. I started there on my old busted middle school rigid bike, and now ride it on my 6.5" chunder muncher and it still continues to challenge me. Endless lines.
    I'll check this out also. Sounds like a place that will push the limits of my technical riding. Thanks bro.

I originally started riding a few months ago to lose weight (260lbs, now 253lbs.). Now that I ride, I drink MUCH more. lol! I'm not sure how that happened.

Wēk Ss
    I don't even live close to CC; I live in Fremont. LOL. It was just a place I heard was "beginner friendly".
    Hit Fremont Older in Cupertino. The climbs are a bit longer and more of them, with some hard ones in terms of grade. It's closer too.

I'm surprised you didn't go to Arastradero, being in Fremont. Arastradero is a fun little spot, especially on a SS. China Camp is a long way to drive for it. It's nice though, but gets busy on weekends.

NedwannaB
    You'll find out you get all sorts of variable comments about "beginner friendly" trails on here. And other topics aswell....

As far as CC, the loop you did would qualify terrain wise, the fitness effort is relative. If you do the upper extended loop to the Niki site (definitely suggest doing it for surrounding views), continue out and dropping down Bay View to that "power line thingy" below (would be a mix of added stamina with some sketchy parts thrown in) then continue on Shorline, it will make for a good route and extend ride time and challenge. They'll be a few rocky spots that may challenge you while climbing on the trail by the 3rd bridge that takes you up to BayHills Rd (turns partially paved service road that takes you up to the top. AKA "Heart Attack Hill") but mainly it's on the fire road descent that you mentioned seeing people come down. Don't under estimate the carnage that can occur if you get out of shape or can't control speed on these "fire road" sections. And I would not attempt going up that section by the powerline tower until you gather up some more fitness. It's can be a ba!! buster to your determination, but will boost your confidence when you are able to make it!

Other areas that may not be "single track heavy" but would be a great place to build up the cycling legs would be the Headlands. There's Coastal,Miwok and Diaz to link together. Would think you could hit that area pretty easy coming accross the B bridge.
    Last edited by JMac47; 12-11-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Hit Fremont Older in Cupertino. The climbs are a bit longer and more of them, with some hard ones in terms of grade. It's closer too.

I'm surprised you didn't go to Arastradero, being in Fremont. Arastradero is a fun little spot, especially on a SS. China Camp is a long way to drive for it. It's nice though, but gets busy on weekends.
    I just looked up Arastradero. That looks like a nice to place to try out. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Arastradero - Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    You'll find out you get all sorts of variable comments about "beginner friendly" trails on here. And other topics aswell....

As far as CC, the loop you did would qualifyterrain wise, the fitness effort is relative. If you do the upper extended loop to the Niki site (definitely suggest doing it for surrounding views), continue out and dropping down Bay View to that "power line thingy" below (would be a mix of added stamina with some sketchy parts thrown in). A few rocky sections on the switchback may challenge you on the climb up to BayHills Rd (turns partially paved service road that takes you up to the top) but mainly on the fire road descent that you mentioned seeing people come down. Don't under estimate the carnage that can occur if you get out of shape or can't control speed on these "fire road" sections. And I would not attempt going up that section by the powerline tower until you gather up some more fitness. It's can be a ba!! buster to your determination!

Other areas that may not be "single track heavy" but would be a great place to build up the cycling legs would be the Headlands. There's Coastal,Miwok and Diaz to link together. Would think you could hit that area pretty easy coming accross the B bridge.
    I'll try the ride to the Niki site.

It looks like I now have some other places to visit and try. Thanks again guys.

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post

As far as CC, the loop you did would qualify terrain wise, the fitness effort is relative. If you do the upper extended loop to the Niki site (definitely suggest doing it for surrounding views), continue out and dropping down Bay View to that "power line thingy" below (would be a mix of added stamina with some sketchy parts thrown in) then continue on Shorline, it will make for a good route and extend ride time and challenge. They'll be a few rocky spots that may challenge you while climbing on the trail by the 3rd bridge that takes you up to BayHills Rd (turns partially paved service road that takes you up to the top. AKA "Heart Attack Hill") but mainly it's on the fire road descent that you mentioned seeing people come down. Don't under estimate the carnage that can occur if you get out of shape or can't control speed on these "fire road" sections. And I would not attempt going up that section by the powerline tower until you gather up some more fitness. It's can be a ba!! buster to your determination, but will boost your confidence when you are able to make it!

Bay View Trail? Sure!!

Helicopter crew rescues injured 14-year-old Novato teen Saturday afternoon | PressDemocrat.com

NedwannaB
    Yeah that's right. Didnt want to mention specifics. My buddy was adult helping out riding with team.

And in case you missed my quote: "Don't under estimate the carnage that can occur if you get out of shape or can't control speed on these "fire road" sections". End Quote.
    Last edited by JMac47; 12-11-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    speaking of helicopter rescues: does anyone know what was going on around the base of Loma Alta on the Fairfax side. From the top of B17 extension I saw a heli with a basket and MCOSD trucks driving up and down the fireroad from across the valley.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post
    speaking of helicopter rescues: does anyone know what was going on around the base of Loma Alta on the Fairfax side. From the top of B17 extension I saw a heli with a basket and MCOSD trucks driving up and down the fireroad from across the valley.
    Yeah i was in the area too, and saw the helicopter and rescue vehicles over there.
    Finally found an article this morning.

"Two injured horseback riders rescued by Sonoma County sheriff's helicopter"

Two injured horseback riders rescued by Sonoma County sheriff's helicopter | PressDemocrat.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast