Thread: Ibis Migrations

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Ibis Migrations

Any first hand accounts from "ibisians" or anyone else that have attended previous Ibis migrations. How'd you like it? Any tips? Would you do it again? Next one is in Mendocino... i'm guessing great chance to mess around on a Ripmo.

mtbr member
    My friend's dad went last year. Any time he brings it up, he talks about it for a good 15 minutes, amazing trails, delicious food, good company. Sounds like a blast if you're into that kind of stuff, The entire itinerary is on the ibis website (i just read about the mendo trip in august). I think if you're going by yourself, it would be smart to pay the 150$ extra to rent a bike for the weekend so that you don't have to bring yours and then you can pick something out of the ibis lineup (like the ripmo) that you think you'll like.

mtbr member

I was at the Mendocino Migration

Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    Any first hand accounts from "ibisians" or anyone else that have attended previous Ibis migrations. How'd you like it? Any tips? Would you do it again? Next one is in Mendocino... i'm guessing great chance to mess around on a Ripmo.
    For me as one of the local bike guides helping out Scot last year, it was the most fun event I have ever attended. I have been to many bike festivals around the west and Scot's first attempt eclipsed them all. This year will most likely be on the next level. The locally catered food, and spirits were top shelf. The site: The Mendocino Woodlands State Park was designated in 1997 as a National Historic Landmark and was built as a Recreational Demonstration Area by the Civilian Conservation Corps circa 1937. Guests at the Migration will stay in old growth redwood 2-4 bed cabins which would make any adult feel like a kid again.

This is where it all began for Ibis in 1981. For Scot, it's his way to come back to his roots and ride. On top of that, you will experience some of the sweetest trail riding in all of northern California.

I believe, you'll remember this one for many years to come. Rides will range from beginner to hard ass all day fun treks. I will be doing moderate all day rides (up to 30 miles) guiding the group throughout the largest state forest in California. The redwoods will blow you away!

BTW: None of the guides were paid. Scot made a donation to our bike club -Mendocino Coast Cyclists. If you decide to come, join me for a ride...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Awesome! Thanks the info guys. This would be a great chance to demo, check out Mendo, as well as get myself to carve out some time to ride outside of my normal trails. Sounds like a hoot!

mtbr member

Pics of last year's ride

Awesome! Thanks the info guys. This would be a great chance to demo, check out Mendo, as well as get myself to carve out some time to ride outside of my normal trails. Sounds like a hoot!
    I have added a few pictures taken at last year's Ibis Migration in the Mendocino Woodlands. The weather was perfect too!

Ibis Migrations-3.jpg

Ibis Migrations-4.jpg

Ibis Migrations-kelly.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like a blast. Might need to consider the cost, since that could go into my next rig's budget.

mtbr member

A bike is for your health

Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like a blast. Might need to consider the cost, since that could go into my next rig's budget.
    A good bike is always a worthy purchase! It is for your long term health and well-being! That being said, life is too short to miss any opportunities that promote healthy living...
    Last edited by RooHarris; 07-04-2018 at 08:08 AM.

mtbr member
    We just put the finishing touches on Big Dipper yesterday. It is a fast, fun downhill to the Big River road. Although, it is not in the guidebook, it isn't too hard to find off of Steam Donkey. Go left at top instead of right to Big Tree. Go 3/4 of a mile to entrance where it can be found on the right. On the way back to the Woodlands, there is a swimming hole with 20 foot deep pool. Totally private for those looking to get out of the chamois.

mtbr member
    Currently, there a one in a million chance that the Mendocino Complex fire will spread to the coast. For those who are attending this year's Migration be prepared for perfect conditions and no Smoke!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Awesome I can't wait!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Unfortunately I'm not going to make it... to all that end of going, happy trails!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the trail updates Roo! I'll be up for a ride with a buddy this weekend and looking forward to getting out of the city. I assume Sweetpea is still closed for now since I would have seen it mentioned. Sounds like you lot have done a whole lot of work getting the trails polished up for next weekends big event. A grateful city-dweller salutes you all!

mtbr member

sweet pea

Quote Originally Posted by b0bg View Post
    Thanks for the trail updates Roo! I'll be up for a ride with a buddy this weekend and looking forward to getting out of the city. I assume Sweetpea is still closed for now since I would have seen it mentioned. Sounds like you lot have done a whole lot of work getting the trails polished up for next weekends big event. A grateful city-dweller salutes you all!
    Weekends can be good to try Sweet Pea even though it is still officially closed. There should be no log hauling activity on Rd 640 as well as Rd 408 and Rd 500 on Saturday or Sunday. If you do decide to ride it just be cautious at the bottom where it exits onto Rd 640. There maybe some timber felling further east, but no hauling on the weekend. If you hear activity on lower Rd 640 please turn around and head back up Sweet Pea.

The Caspar Classic race trail is totally buffed out for Sept 1st race with all the overgrowth cut way back. Riding down 3 Post (a climb in the race) is a hoot with the best sight lines in years. That trail is difficult to maintain as you will see with all the erosion ruts. No dirt work can be done as it's the wrong time of year to do it. Be cautious!

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Got home yesterday after three solid days of guiding for Scot Nicol and the Ibis Migration. Once again, Scot put on an amazing event. Absolutely fantastic folks in attendance. Mostly, middle aged "Kids" who wanted to play hard and ride their asses off. And, we DID! The Mendocino Coast Cyclists volunteered their services to guide about 100 good riders split into groups of 6 or so, mine were upwards to 10. There were even two level of skills camps with Brian Astell and Brain Lopes in attendance.

Our first day was a long all day ride with 28 miles and 4100+' of climbing. It was our mission to ride up and out of the Woodlands with our group of nine riders to where Scot began his quest w/Ibis in 1981 building custom Trials bikes out on Mitchell Creek road, just south of Fort Bragg CA. We called this ride the "Tour de Roots". Six hours later we rolled in and attacked the beers with gusto! A Beer Piranhas quaffing frenzy? Nick Taylor and Sasha lead another all day ride, beating us in by an hour and still managed to get in 5,800' of climbing in 26 miles! Some of the breweries represented were New Belgium, Seismic, Hen House to name a few. While Honey Stinger provided all the trail food anyone could eat. The Pinots (40 Buck Chuck) and Chards were perfect for all the catered gourmet dinners we enjoyed. Even a custom bar was hosted by Scot whipping up some amazing cocktails too.

Our second day was a little shorter at 26 miles and 3,000' of elevation gain. Then, repeated the IPA challenge afterwards! Getting up on Sunday morning (6:30AM) was a chore as I hadn't slept well (a nagging hip flexor impingement) in the beautiful 80 year old WPA cabins, but after two big cups of high test, I was rarin' to go (albeit, a little shaky by now). It was a solid 3 hour 1/2 day ride doing 13+ miles with a ton of climbing for 2,700'. Getting home afterwards and finding the hammock was a perfect way to end the weekend! The IPA never tasted better. Life is GOOD!

If you ever want to be wined, dined and happily rung out from tons of riding, the Ibis Migration events will not disappoint. Now, where is that cup of coffee?