PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

I need some Flume trail advice for moderate skilled ride party.

Going up Saturday and meeting friends who are super fit, but just so-so with technical riding.
    We are going to shuttle up to the Meadows and traverse TRT towards Marlette Lake. This stretch is about as technical as they can deal with(I'm guessing) and still have an enjoyable day.

I planned on riding the switchbacks to the intersection at Sunflower Hill, dropping to the lake, and riding Flume to Tunnel Creek back to the cars/shuttle pick up.

Sound good?

How ugly is the climb up to Snow Valley Peak? Does it add a good amount of worthwhile Flume Trail?

Lastly, is the crowd on TRT/Flume going to be so big as to make it un-fun?

I considered the loop on HITG, but it's just too advanced for them.
    Also considered out/back on Emigrant Trail, but might save that for sunday and tired legs. I think it might be a little dull for them.

mtbr dismember

Really ugly

Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemech1 View Post
    How ugly is the climb up to Snow Valley Peak?
    Really ugly since it is off limits to bikes.
    Try Mt. Rose, Redhouse, new Sunflower Hill singletrack, down the switchbacks off Marlette Lake overlook and then down The Flume to Spooner. Emigrant Trail is pretty tame.

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

Very Interesting!

How is the climb up Red House Flume?

Backtrack northward on TRT, cut across little yellow trail to Flume and take Flume southward to Spooner lake.
    Do I have it correct?

TRT back track (northward) will be a moderately steep drop?
    Flume Trail (southward) wil be a very gradual gain in elevation until the drop to Spooner?

This would require parking at Spooner and shuttling up to Mt. Rose, and the park/parking fees too?

Thanks mucho for this btw,
    G.

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

More questions:

Is the new singletrack off upper Sunflower Hill easy to find?

Is Flume Trail on a weekend, going against the usual flow of traffic, going to suck?
    Kinda suck,
    or REALLY suck?

mtbr member
    Ya Emigrant Trail is tame but fun for a fast super flowy ride, nothing technical at all.

mtbr dismember

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemech1 View Post
    Is the new singletrack off upper Sunflower Hill easy to find?
    Is Flume Trail on a weekend, going against the usual flow of traffic, going to suck?
    Kinda suck, or REALLY suck?
    Yes and probably yes. But you are doing The Flume purely for the scenery. So you'll stop for photos anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

I recommend your original plan for first timers

I think the best first time ride (for scenery) is to take the TRT all the way through to Hobart road. That would include a side trip off the high point to do Christopher's Loop. (Better view and above flume). They will likely need to push some on the uphill portion of the second TRT leg but still worth it.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Be aware there is a race on the Flume trail this weekend. See renowheelmen.com