mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I need help getting a bike under $600 and I weigh 280ibs, hopeing to get black friday

I live in San Francisco.

I have $600 bucks and I weigh close to 300 pounds! I need help! Does anyone know what to get and how to get it on Black Friday?

(thanks so much in advance!)

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    What type of riding do you want to do? Dirt, street, long distance, recreational, a lot of hills? Also your heigth will determine your frame size. If you're just looking to get started and ride around town (Easier said than done, I live in the city too) then I say just look on craigs list and get an older steel frame hard tail - you'd get a decent starter for a lot less than 600. Good luck!

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    Quote Originally Posted by amonster View Post
    I live in San Francisco.

I have $600 bucks and I weigh close to 300 pounds! I need help! Does anyone know what to get and how to get it on Black Friday?

(thanks so much in advance!)
    Going used is the only way for me to get the best bang for my buck...plus you aren't restricted to Black Friday.

Here are some that you may want to check out.
    Not knowing how tall you are I assume that by your weight you'd be in the large to x-large frame size but I threw in some mediums that looked good.

Specialized FSR M4 S-Works - Pinkbike

2010 Specialized Rockhopper - Pinkbike

Giant VT full suspension mtb

2011 Specialized Rockhopper

Santa Cruz Bullit

06' Gary Fisher Cake 3 Large Full Suspension

Specialized Rockhopper size 21

2007 giant trance

2012 Specialized Rockhopper 29er 15"-21"
    Master of the unintentional track stand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RDI View Post
    What type of riding do you want to do? Dirt, street, long distance, recreational, a lot of hills? Also your heigth will determine your frame size. If you're just looking to get started and ride around town (Easier said than done, I live in the city too) then I say just look on craigs list and get an older steel frame hard tail - you'd get a decent starter for a lot less than 600. Good luck!
    I was advised by somebody really nice at a bike shop in the area that I should get a mountain bike and just put town tires on it so I can bike in town, then I can also bike on trails.
    Last edited by amonster; 11-19-2012 at 08:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tsimbu View Post
    Going used is the only way for me to get the best bang for my buck...plus you aren't restricted to Black Friday.

Here are some that you may want to check out.
    Not knowing how tall you are I assume that by your weight you'd be in the large to x-large frame size but I threw in some mediums that looked good.

This is very nice of you. Do you also know of new bikes that are under $600? Have any brands that maybe I can google for black friday?
    Last edited by amonster; 11-19-2012 at 08:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I really liked the Gary Fisher bikes I had before I got my Santa Cruz. The Wahoo retails at just over $600, so you might be able to get it on sale in your price range.

Wahoo - Gary Fisher collection - Trek Bicycle

Or check out this Trek:
    3700 Disc - Trek Bicycle

Giant is good too:
    Revel 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

In truth, most name-brand (Giant, Trek, Specialized...) bikes in that price range are going to be good, solid choices.

Your best bet would be to go to a shop where the people are helpful and find a bike in your price range there. It sounds like you may have already found a helpful shop. There may be another shop with slightly cheaper prices, but service is pretty critical when you are first getting started.
    Last edited by icantdrive65; 11-19-2012 at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post
    I really liked the Gary Fisher bikes I had before I got my Santa Cruz. The Wahoo retails at just over $600, so you might be able to get it on sale in your price range.

In truth, most name-brand (Giant, Trek, Specialized...) bikes in that price range are going to be good, solid choices.

Your best bet would be to go to a shop where the people are helpful and find a bike in your price range there. It sounds like you may have already found a helpful shop. There may be another shop with slightly cheaper prices, but service is pretty critical when you are first getting started.
    Ok, thank you very much. The person I talked to at the bike shop is the guy that told me about these forums. He advised me to post on the Clydesdales/Tall Riders forum but I haven't recieved an answer in hours there lol :/ . I guess I was supposed to look for a Tall Rider bycicle. Do you know of any Tall Riders being sold by Trek maybe?

Also thank you very much for answerong to this thread.

Recreational Terrorist
    I can understand wanting new, its intimidating buying used if you are new to bikes. You might want to check out performance bikes for a cheap new bike. They carry decent entry level bikes at good prices plus they have big sales all the time. If any bike shop is having a black Friday sale it would be performance.

Here is a $400 new mountain bike: GT Avalanche 4.0 Mountain Bike -- U.S. Exclusive - Sport Mountain Bikes

If your total budget is $600 you might want to get a bike in the $450 to 500 range since you are going to have to buy a helmet, pump, basic tools, and lights.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTreeHugger View Post
    I can understand wanting new, its intimidating buying used if you are new to bikes. You might want to check out performance bikes for a cheap new bike. They carry decent entry level bikes at good prices plus they have big sales all the time. If any bike shop is having a black Friday sale it would be performance.

Here is a $400 new mountain bike: GT Avalanche 4.0 Mountain Bike -- U.S. Exclusive - Sport Mountain Bikes

If your total budget is $600 you might want to get a bike in the $450 to 500 range since you are going to have to buy a helmet, pump, basic tools, and lights.

Good luck!
    I just did some research. Not sure if that can hold my weight (280ibs) on a trail. I watched a youtube video of it.

I really appreciate that recommendation though, maybe you have others that might be a little more expensive on sale? I can always purchase the accessories next month.

I really appreciate you posting this. Thank you.

By purchance do you know of one on sale around the $550 - $600 sale price?

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Have you tried bikes direct? 29ers might be better for your size but they are more expensive. New is usually not the best way to go while on a lower budget. But that's not my decision to make.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29PRO
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Front Suspension Gravity BaseCamp 3.0
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2010 Motobecane Fantom Trail
    The first two are 700, everything under that is usually garbage, especially considering your weight. The last is a 2010 model, so hurry.
    BEWARE: LBSs can pick out BD/internet/dept store bikes really easily and some may give you attitude if you walk in and say you found a better deal elsewhere.
    Also try airborne: their guardian is a good deal
    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    check out performance bike in sf on black friday. I can tell you there will be some great bikes at great prices. Look for a hardtail 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    Have you tried bikes direct? 29ers might be better for your size but they are more expensive. New is usually not the best way to go while on a lower budget. But that's not my decision to make.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29PRO
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Front Suspension Gravity BaseCamp 3.0
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2010 Motobecane Fantom Trail
    The first two are 700, everything under that is usually garbage, especially considering your weight. The last is a 2010 model, so hurry.
    BEWARE: LBSs can pick out BD/internet/dept store bikes really easily and some may give you attitude if you walk in and say you found a better deal elsewhere.
    Also try airborne: their guardian is a good deal
    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian

Those are all nice bikes. Do they all come assembled?

edit: nvm 90% assembled.

Hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving this holiday season and thank you a lot for helping me out! Hopefully those bikes won't be sold out by tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I suggest 26 inch wheeledmtb As they are stiffer than 29er wheels.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    By "assembled", I hope you don't mean "unpack then ride", because that would be unrealistic to say the least.

That's what my bike looked like after I pulled it out of the box by the Top tube, nothing else. (Oh yeah, I removed some packaging.)
    I had to straighten the third chainring and disc brake rotors, adjust the brakes calipers and derailleurs, put the seatpost on, dial in the seat angle, align the stem with the steerer/fork and put the handle bars on. Some claim that their bikes came in horrible condition. My box was practically intact. You may wish to change cable routing as I did.

EDIT: All the bikes in your price range will some with "flexy" forks in that the stanchions or "uppers" will move around in the legs or the "lowers". This is a problem for me and my VERY low end fork and I'm around 130. You are 280, so you will need more than a low end Dart or XC28 fork to support you. The number in the XC's refer to the stanchions' diameters, which is key to the stiffness of the fork. A 32mm stachioned fork like the XC32 with support you better, but it won't be as good as, say, a sektor or reba. You may wish to immediately take off and sell your stock fork as new and upgrade to a used (or on sale) sektor/reba.
    Last edited by sauprankul; 11-20-2012 at 06:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This is awesome. I really hope the bikes are still available come tomorrow. I've got to wire money to the bank account.

I really appreciate your help here. Seems you gave some really honest straightforward better than good advise. Thank you.

Ride Responsibly
    No idea on "Black Friday" but check this out.
    costco 29er.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright View Post
    No idea on "Black Friday" but check this out.
    costco 29er.
    Please, no. As a new rider, he needs the support of a bike shop. A Costco bike may not even be safe to ride. It needs to be checked by someone who definitely knows bikes before it gets ridden.

What we really need is a member on here who lives in SF to help amonster out. Maybe even go to the bike shop with him. At least show his some trails in the area.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    a monster, are you a TOTAL newbie? Have you never ridden a two wheeler off of pavement before? Do you REALLY need your LBS every step of the way? Are you mechanically inclined at all? Do you have good Google skills?

That will help if you answer honestly.

ballbuster

I dunno...

Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    a monster, are you a TOTAL newbie? Have you never ridden a two wheeler off of pavement before? Do you REALLY need your LBS every step of the way? Are you mechanically inclined at all? Do you have good Google skills?

That will help if you answer honestly.
    To be blunt, the OP sounds fairly N003. Nothing wrong with that. He came here for advice, and we're happy to give him some.

But, there is a lot to know about bikes if you want to do it right. Hence, I think getting a good local bike shop (LBS, as we say a lot around here) involved.

You don't have to spend top coin to get something of decent quality. $600 is a decent budget for a good but low to medium rent bike. For city bike use, any name brand hardtail will do just fine. The lower rent stuff (but not too low) might just be a better choice for durability as well, considering when you go up in price, you generally are paying for less weight.

Just make sure it actually fits you well. That is, cockpit size (saddle-to-bar) and saddle-to-pedal adjustments are made so the bike actually feels good for your personal dimensions, as well as frame geometry that works for you.

It's like buying shoes. Everybody has their idea of what a size 11 is, so it's best to try it out in person. Don't go by how many 'inches' a manufacturer says a frame is in size. That sizing system is pretty close to useless. Same with standover clearance. Small, medium, large are actually more useful.

$600 is a good budget to work with, but consider that you should have a helmet and gloves as a minimum for personal safety equipment. Glasses are a good idea too, to keep the bugs, dirt, tree branches and little rocks out of your eyes. An LED front and rear blinky light is a good idea as well if you're riding in the street, and they're pretty cheap.... so cars actually see you and you catch the driver's attention.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    To be blunt, the OP sounds fairly N003. Nothing wrong with that. He came here for advice, and we're happy to give him some.

But, there is a lot to know about bikes if you want to do it right. Hence, I think getting a good local bike shop (LBS, as we say a lot around here) involved.

You don't have to spend top coin to get something of decent quality. $600 is a decent budget for a good but low to medium rent bike. For city bike use, any name brand hardtail will do just fine. The lower rent stuff (but not too low) might just be a better choice for durability as well, considering when you go up in price, you generally are paying for less weight.

Just make sure it actually fits you well. That is, cockpit size (saddle-to-bar) and saddle-to-pedal adjustments are made so the bike actually feels good for your personal dimensions, as well as frame geometry that works for you.

It's like buying shoes. Everybody has their idea of what a size 11 is, so it's best to try it out in person. Don't go by how many 'inches' a manufacturer says a frame is in size. That sizing system is pretty close to useless. Same with standover clearance. Small, medium, large are actually more useful.

$600 is a good budget to work with, but consider that you should have a helmet and gloves as a minimum for personal safety equipment. Glasses are a good idea too, to keep the bugs, dirt, tree branches and little rocks out of your eyes. An LED front and rear blinky light is a good idea as well if you're riding in the street, and they're pretty cheap.... so cars actually see you and you catch the driver's attention.
    Fit is very important. My first bike was a size small. I still use it, but it's not ideal.

To OP:

Fit, then a bike sturdy enough to handle your weight (primarily frame). I'm not familiar with that level of clyde, but I would think you may need some wheels in the future, or some sort of maintenance program from where you buy the bike.

You might want to start with some fit calculators. I also think the first response is good, especially for city. I would forgo suspension and get an old steel rigid and ride it till the wheels fall off. I would think an old steel bike would be very sturdy. I'm not sure though, being just 2/3 your weight.

Also consider a growth path, is the bike just a temporary thing until you get a new one, if so how far out are we looking at? Or is this it? That's not likely in this sport, but what is your state of mind? If it's temporary, the cheaper the better and resist the temptation to upgrade parts if you're going to buy a new bike in a year or two.

Here's a starting point, it's not gospel. Use it for reference and test (or at least a good long ride through the parking lot) different bikes and a size up and a size down to get a feel.

Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

Ride Responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post
    Please, no. As a new rider, he needs the support of a bike shop. A Costco bike may not even be safe to ride. It needs to be checked by someone who definitely knows bikes before it gets ridden.

What we really need is a member on here who lives in SF to help amonster out. Maybe even go to the bike shop with him. At least show his some trails in the area.
    A good shop should help him out no matter where he buys his bike, this first purchase is just that, a first purchase. After riding a bit he can make more informed choices, just like we all did.
    Here are some quick goggle finds.

The best Black Friday bicycle deals

K2 Shadow Nine 29-inch Mountain Bike: $299
    Current price: $649.99
    It is rare to find a 29-inch mountain bike at such a low price, and likewise, reviews on this model are almost non-existent. While we do not believe K2 bicycles contain the same high quality the brand brings to its other industries, the Shadow Nine is priced so low here, it is hard to go wrong. The componentry and specifications are impressive for the price tag, but we cannot see this bike enduring long punishing rides. We believe this is a discontinued model from 2011. (Last year Sports Authority sold the same model on Black Friday for $350.)
    Our advice: Maybe. The Shadow Nine offers an affordable median between the low quality of big-box brands and expensive professional riding. It may be your best bet for basic trail riding under $300.

mtbr member
    This looks like a much better bike, while still fitting the < $600 criteria:

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29Trail

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Look out! The ubiquitous SR Suntour forks and Tektro Novela brakes are REALLY LOW END and the cheapness of those two are no more apparent than when a clyde is riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I notice that he's getting some good feedback in the Clydesdale forum now. The funny thing is that he is getting a lot of the same recommendations. I guess we all think alike.