Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

I know the chances are slim, but I may as well carry one...

Bite/Venom Kit.

Wifebot has been buggin' me to get one, and with my tiny REI dividend, I may just go and pick one up this weekend.

I see rattlers on almost every ride - at least 3 out of 5 rides. They run rampant in STCP somedays - noticeable if you ride there as much as I do. I always watch where I step when I put my foot down. I've realized that the speed we go on a MTB will dash right by snakes - they just don't have that reaction time. But it's when you pause, stop or rest when you can get it.

I've also learned that busy trail days can make them angry. My wife had a scary run-in with a rattler, and I realized that traffic may agitate them and are ready after the 3rd or 4th trail user is passing if the conga line is tight.

The one time I had one strike was when I didn't see it until last second and started to skid towards it. I think I looked like Large Marge from Pee Wee's Big Adventure when that happened.

Name:  200807_Large-Marge.jpg
Views: 6672
Size:  11.0 KB

This poor man carried one in his kit and never read the instructions - BUT! It saved his life, so the doctor says.

It can't hurt to throw one in the bag, right? It may not be me, but a child or weekend warrior who may need the help, too. I see A LOT of cluelessness on the trails on the weekend. I know with all that extra weight, though, my Strava times will suffer.

I remember I told some lady she shouldn't let her child play in the dry brush because of rattlesnakes. She laughed at me. Oh well.

Hunter saves own life after rattlesnake bit him

Air Pirate
    I saw that article as well, on Yahoo. I have also seen around 4 snakes in the Folsom Lake area within the last two weeks, plus I spoke to a Sac Sheriff deputy (on "Homeland Security" patrol at that lake) who advised they have been hearing of rattlesnake encounters where the snake is striking without rattling. I know rattlesnakes dont always rattle before striking, but he said it was being reported with more frequency than years before.

I have room in my CamelBak for something like this, might be a good idea. I already checked REI and it is supposed to be stocked at my local stores in Folsom and Roseville.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

OTB Pro

RE: I know the chances are slim, but I may as well carry one...

Most people seem to believe that the kits dont work as good as they say and could possibly even make matters worse. Best thing to do is put a band about two inches above bite tight but still where you can slip a finger in and get to hospital ASAP is what I've been told. If it gives you peace of mind though then they arent very pricey anyways.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Very few people die from a snake bite in the U.S. From the Mayo Clinic:

If a snake bites you

Remain calm.
    Immobilize the bitten arm or leg, and stay as quiet as possible to keep the poison from spreading through your body.
    Remove jewelry before you start to swell.
    Position yourself, if possible, so that the bite is at or below the level of your heart.
    Cleanse the wound, but don't flush it with water, and cover it with a clean, dry dressing.
    Apply a splint to reduce movement of the affected area, but keep it loose enough so as not to restrict blood flow.
    Don't use a tourniquet or apply ice.
    Don't cut the wound or attempt to remove the venom.
    Don't drink caffeine or alcohol.
    Don't try to capture the snake, but try to remember its color and shape so you can describe it, which will help in your treatment.

Call 911 or seek immediate medical attention, especially if the area changes color, begins to swell or is painful.

And from Medicinenet.com:

If someone is bitten by a poisonous snake, the bitten area should be immobilized and the victim transported to a hospital as quickly as possible. The bitten area should be washed with soap and water. A wide constriction bandage (tourniquet) may be applied two to four inches upstream of the bitten area (if on an extremity) so long as the pressure is not too tight (one or two fingers should be able to slide under the band). Overly tight tourniquets should never be used as these can block arterial blood flow to the affected area and worsen tissue damage.

Incising (cutting) and suctioning the bite area has not been shown to be beneficial, but a venom extractor (found in commercial snake bite kits) may be helpful if it is applied to the area within five minutes of the bite and left in place for 30 minutes. A 2004 study of mock venom extraction using a suction device, however, questioned the validity of venom extractors and suggested that their use is unlikely to be effective.

Ice or cooling packs should never be applied to the area as these may result in greater harm, and incisions of the bitten area are also potentially harmful and have no benefit.

I worry way more about ill-tempered banana slugs...
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    What scares me equally is the six figure cost for treating venomous snake bites...
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

swag ho Administrator
    Don't carry all that schit. Just carry a lighter. It takes care of all issues.

fc
    IPA will save America

Dropshot Champ!
    I imagine Dion seeing a rattler on the trail and either wheeling over it or doing some 4ft flatlandskillz bunnyhop.

then 180-ing around and nose wheeling over it.

or something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Don't carry all that schit. Just carry a lighter. It takes care of all issues.

fc
    After watching dozens of 80's alien movies, I've realized that - no matter how far technology has come into the future - flame throwers are the best remedy. This would def throw off my Strava times.

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I imagine Dion seeing a rattler on the trail and either wheeling over it or doing some 4ft flatlandskillz bunnyhop.

then 180-ing around and nose wheeling over it.

or something.
    Nollie hop to bar spin. Then 180 with a fist pump to declare victory over snake-jerk.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Same approach i took regarding carrying bear spray on the commute. snakes are more afraid of you then you are of them. Remember to shuffle your feet if in doubt

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Hmm, I guess that's another reason to not ride alone. I think I would have a hell of a time trying to load up my bike while keeping one limb immobilized. Nevermind the driving to the hospital part.

I hear you on watching where you put your foot down. When I ride in AZ and have to come to a sudden stop I usually end up falling for a second while I quickly glance over to make sure I can put my foot down if it's on the edge of the trail.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Tell em Large Marge sent ya.

mtbr member
    Snake bite tutorial

Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

mtbr member
    I agree with everything I've regarding not using kits, no tourniquets, and keeping heart rate low.

What I've always wondered is what's best for getting help. If a snake bike occurs some distance from trail head or car, it best to sit tight and call for help or should you ride out? Seems the riding out option is the fastest way to get medical assistance, but it will also bring elevate heart rate potentially moving venom through the bloodstream faster. I suppose all situations are different (alone, with riders, distance from trail head, air lift options, etc)

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I don't know about you guys, but just getting my heart rate/blood pressure taken raises my heart rate, so I know if a snake just bit me it's gonna go through the roof anyway. On a relatively flat trail, I doubt it's going to go up too much more if I walk my bike out.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Puro Vida!

So I was thinking about this the other day-my heart rate is high all the time from riding! I was like great-how the hell would I calm it!?
    Also right on with the riding alone. I managed to land chest first on the end of my handlebars last week on a stupid slip up Stiles-it Hurt! Still does-but my thoughts were now what-luckily I was ok after a few minutes and kept riding. Made me think though what if it was worse? When I first fell, my first thoughts were get up before someone sees you fell! But it hurt so bad a second voice in my head told the first voice F you-this hurts! Then I finally got up and looked around-no one!
    I was glad at first, but then thought that would have sucked if I needed help. Made me wish the Sunday Dirt Masses were once again. Then as I continued riding is when I thought about the snake and how I would be screwed if I got bit-first I'm so slow climbing it could chew on me it would have so much time-and second my heart rate is pumping so high I'd have poison up to my heart in no time. At least at STP-I don't think most of those people walking are gonna be much help.
    And last-if you do get bit or get in a crash and have flesh wounds, cuts or even a broken leg-do what Chris Rock says his Dad would tell him to do-
    Pour sum Robitussin on it!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: I know the chances are slim, but I may as well carry one...

Venom kits are a good idea.

I have been thinking about getting a license for collecting venom lately.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Puro Vida!

Oh and the Mayo Clinic says do not wash out with water-The second one says to wash with water and soap?
    I know recently Daniela Holmqvist was bitten by a female Black Widow and used a Golf Tee to pierce the skin and then squeezed until clear liquid came out. Of course doctors said was a big no no to do that and that it was probably a dry bite and she was ok in the first place. Screw that-they cut Hershel's leg off when he got bit in the prison and he lived'

Puro Vida!

Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Venom kits are a good idea.

I have been thinking about getting a license for collecting venom lately.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    There was a recent episode on Locked up Abroad where dude brought illegal reptiles on the plane in his luggage from outside the US. This is back in the day where it seems you could have packed just about anything and been ok to bring it home. His friend brought tarantulas and when the Customers Officer reached in the bag where they were-he got bit! Did they beat him behind closed doors? Did they fine him? Prison?? And the officer fainted when he saw the spiders come out of the bag and figured out that was what bit him-NOPE-they told him not to do it again and sent him on his way!
    So then the first guy after smuggling reptiles in for a while finally decides-hey why not a King Cobra-right?? So he goes and catches one and stuffs it in his check in. When they land-him and his girl who wasn't happy he did this-officers are waiting for him-BUSTED! Seems that airport security dogs found the cobra-they asked him if any more critters were in their luggage-of course there was, but he said no and try didn't find them. They let him go!!!! Holy Cxxp! You imagine if someone tried to bring a cobra in now a days???? Crazy-

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No need to even put a constricting band, per my training. Get thee to a hospital ASAP. Don't worry about elevating the heart rate much either. There is some benefit to the poison spreading a bit due to dilution. If the poison stays in one area it can kill the tissue around there. If the choice is between splinting and delaying or getting to an ER quicker, err on the side of getting there quicker.

Puro Vida!

Anyone remember that movie Shhhhhhhnh!?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Saw one in Folsom yesterday just before dusk. I rode past, didn't notice it, and it rattled and possibly struck at my friend. I've been thinking about one lately, and am contemplating riding alone. Also thinking about takinbg my weed wacker out there. It was on the edge of the trail near the high grass. Really bad spot (good if your hunting like he was) and if someone had been walking by the may have gotten bit. est. 4 foot w/ approx. 7 rattles. The older they get, the smarter they get, and less likely to rattle.

Type A
    The risk is too low to be concerned. I handle them at church all the time. Can I get an Amen...

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Snake bite tutorial

Lol, that's great! "I got bitta by a snake! I got bitta by a snake!"
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

PRETENDURO
    Good ol Large Marge:

Ive seen rattlesnakes on three occasions at STCP in about 126 rides there, but it seems as though Ive seen more on Woods Trail between Kennedy/Priest Rock and Hicks/Umunhum intersections.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    I want to know how the makers of this product know it works, obviously they could inject some sort of liquid but thats a bit different than venom when you heart is beating 200 bps.

Rumor is that snake venom has great medical benefits, sounds like a high paying gig.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast