Inspector Gadget

Humboldt-Eureka riding

I'm coming to the in-laws in Arcata tomorrow and want to ride while I'm up there. I was going to check out Community Park, but my MIL is telling me it's over ran with drug lords who will shoot me upon sight.

Having troubles searching on here, Strava shows stuff... but I'm clueless on what to check out. I'm willing to drive about an hour from Arcata to ride... what should I check out? Anyone interested in letting me tag along? Tomorrow afternoon may be possible if I can get up north early enough, otherwise I'm wanting to ride on Friday during the day.

Thanks for any help!

Uncle
    Drug lords in Community Park? Geez, I hope that's not accurate. Certainly plenty of growers up there, but in the park? I'm skeptical. Get on the horn and call some of the local shops to find out what's good in their 'hood.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    There are no drug lords in the Community Forest. I don't know what an MIL is but that's laughable. The Community Forest is less than epic but I would think anyone could have fun there.

Inspector Gadget
    MIL=Mother in law. I take you don't have one? Anyhow she can definitely over exaggerate things. She was saying there has been farms found in there?
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The community forest is not overrun with druglords or people with guns. More often than not its horses and joggers.

There is some fun new single track and enough elevation to get a decent workout. For more riding options, I would check out Revolution Bicycles in Arcata. Super helpful staff and very knowledgeable of the area.

mtbr member
    community forest has some epic hidden stuff and some great jumps, slides, berms... all of it. 'course, i haven't ridden there in 15 years, but it used to literally be my backyard. if it was that good back then, it's better now. it's too close to hsu to have gun-toting growers in there. don't sweat it. have fun!

Inspector Gadget
    Yeah I rode with no problems... MIL was certain I was going to die when I let her know where I was going. I did two laps in there and hit every trail I could find. I did stumble upon a freeride area closer to the college but it was way too slimy to even think of doing any of it. Gonna go ride somewhere else today... While the women shop.

mtbr member
    Just sent you a PM, check your box.

Looks nice out there today... really wish I didn't have to stay off the bike for another 4 weeks!

Enjoy your vacation!

mtbr member
    I actually found a stash of TB syringes, foil, bottle caps... off the Diamond Rd trailhead some weeks ago.
    SCARY!!!

I wonder what the MIL would think if she heard about the people who NIGHTRIDE in the park!

The only thing that ever attacked me in the Community Forest was a branch, maybe a root or two... took me DOWN TO THE GROUND!!!
    Watch out for those trees... they're some bad apples I tell ya! lol

Inspector Gadget
    Thanks for the PM I was on my way when I got it. Went to humboldt redwoods state park and did the look prairie/peavine ridge/thorton loop. That climb was torture but the straight 5mi of DH single track at the end was awesome and made it worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Thanks for the PM I was on my way when I got it. Went to humboldt redwoods state park and did the look prairie/peavine ridge/thorton loop. That climb was torture but the straight 5mi of DH single track at the end was awesome and made it worth it.
    Just PM'd you again then came here.. lol

I may be riding some of the trail you rode today, depending on how I feel.
    Long as I take it slow and easy, it might be worth it.
    Glad you enjoyed the ride... that area can actually be a nice place to ride in the winter.
    That and across the road... Grasshopper Peak.

Perhaps we'll catch a trail together next time you're up?