Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

How is Soquel Demo and surrounding areas after this rain?

If anyone gets out to Demo or Nisene today, would you let us know how the trails are after the rain from this past weekend?

I'm considering making a trip out there for some riding Tue-Thu, but want to make sure I wont be riding in a mud fest.

mtbr member
    We got a pretty good dowsing last night and I was told it was sloppy Saturday by various sources. Demo will unfortunately be pretty muddy and not ideal this week...I'd think about coming out another time but that's just me.
    I'm not sure how this works.

swag ho Administrator
    Tues-Thurs.... it will be legendary awesome. That half inch of rain just needs 24 hours of sun and wind and it will be dialed.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    It looks like there might be more rain on the way Wednesday and Thursday. I'm picking up my new (it's a 2010, but never ridden off road) 5 Spot at the Fed Ex store this afternoon...this is what's causing the rain. Sorry guys.
    I like to ride bikes.

ask
    user
    I'd stay far away from Demo for awhile. Total mud fest yesterday... to the point that I only rode Corral and then went back to the lot. Way too wet to ride. That place must have gotten a freak storm, as all the surrounding rain gauges said that little to no rain had fallen at that time.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Worse than it was after the enduro a year ago? I rode the day after that and it wasn't terrible, but definitely not ideal.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

ask
    user
    I was up there early Sunday... the trails were in good shape, but only because no one else had been up there since the rain. If it doesn't rain anymore and we get some wind / sun, I'd guess it will be ok near the end of the week / next weekend. But I'm not sure how much more rain it got last night or how much is coming later this week.

ask
    user
    PS - I blame Squashyo for this rain. He's recovering from a knee injury and must have placed some kind of voodoo rain/mud hex on SDF until he is back on 2 wheels.

mtbr member
    Muu-ahahahaha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Worse than it was after the enduro a year ago? I rode the day after that and it wasn't terrible, but definitely not ideal.
    That was probably the muddiest I've ever seen it. It had absolutely poured that whole week prior to the event if I remember correctly.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    I'd stay far away from Demo for awhile. Total mud fest yesterday... to the point that I only rode Corral and then went back to the lot. Way too wet to ride. That place must have gotten a freak storm, as all the surrounding rain gauges said that little to no rain had fallen at that time.
    Demo seemed to be really misty on Sat in places. That mist hit the trees, condenses, then drops like rain.

I rode the "double" on Sat, but it was wet and slippery. It was not muddy, but most everything was wet.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    I was up there early Sunday... the trails were in good shape, but only because no one else had been up there since the rain. If it doesn't rain anymore and we get some wind / sun, I'd guess it will be ok near the end of the week / next weekend. But I'm not sure how much more rain it got last night or how much is coming later this week.
    I rode Sawpit there last Thursday. I wouldn't call it muddy but wet and slick. I'm sure it could become muddy if enough people ride it.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Burrell Fire Station shows three-quarters of an inch for the last 24-hours. A tenth of an inch may be no big deal, but by any standard 3/4 of an inch -- that is a lot of rain! Too much for the trails to be good right away.

CNRFC - Hydrology - Observed Precipitation - Past 24 Hours - Santa Cruz

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Anybody try it today?

I'm giving a tour to a visiting New Jersey mtbr dude tomorrow afternoon, but I'd rather go someplace else if it's not in good shape (besides, my bike's too pretty to get dirty).
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Anybody try it today?

I'm giving a tour to a visiting New Jersey mtbr dude tomorrow afternoon, but I'd rather go someplace else if it's not in good shape (besides, my bike's too pretty to get dirty).
    Take him up Dogmeat instead. Then you'll have one less friend to worry about.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ That's not a bad idea!

It would free up a lot of time from these guided tours--and it would give me one more/last chance at the Beast. I'd offer you another chiclet, but evidently I have to spread somebody first (?). Lucky for me, I don't rattle...

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to squashyo again."
    Last edited by dirtvert; 04-02-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

swag ho Administrator
    You'll be fine, specially if you go in the afternoon. That would be at least 50 hours of dry weather since the Saturday night rains.

Just go on Ridge trail and if it's not ideal, then skip Braille since that drains the last. Saw Pit should be dialed!!!!!!!!! I was riding in Santa Cruz today and it was awesome except for the flattish parts.

Anybody try it today?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How is Soquel Demo and surrounding areas after this rain?-img_9045.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member

How is Soquel Demo and surrounding areas after this rain?

That's just mean... Already jealous since I was NOT riding in SC today, but then twisting the knife with the pic tease...

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Thanks, Francis.

But if we can't ride Braille, I'm not going to tell him that it exists. If he asks about the signs, I'll just tell him that it's a fireroad!
    Why?

swag ho Administrator
    Definitely go there today. It will be fine. You will have the finest conditions known to man. These other wankers are just jealous, specially squashyo.

Looks like rain is coming in Thursday afternoon so what you have today is brown pow window.

fc

Thanks, Francis.

But if we can't ride Braille, I'm not going to tell him that it exists. If he asks about the signs, I'll just tell him that it's a fireroad!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ride today! I went against everyones advice and rode there yesterday. I was practically alone. Trails were in great shape. Wet, but not sloppy. Should be perfect today. Braille was in better(dryer) shape than Sawpit, but everything is ridable.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Thanks, man! Nothing beats first-hand experience!
    Why?

mtbr member
    Fine, go. See if I care.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Don't be bitter...

You must be about ready for your Grand Comeback, yes? I'll foot sweep a trail section today in your honor.
    Why?

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I'm surprised how quickly it went from bad to good, but I guess when it's second hand info you never really know. I'm glad I didn't go on Monday though because I'm sure it was still pretty wet then.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast