mtbr member
    Jun 2010

How to request to open a trail for bike use? (Hammond-Snyder loop Trail in Cupertino)

So I am looking for a trail that is within minutes of where I live so that I can do some quickie rides when time is tight. This Hammond-Snyder Loop Trai near Rancho San Antionio Open Space park is pretty close to where I live and it looks like an good trail. Today I went there and found out that it is not open to bikes but instead open for horse riders. WTF?

Is there any particular reason they close the trail for bikes but not horses? If anything, I think those equestrians cause more damages to the trail and poses higher risks to other hikers. Plus, they never pick up their horse poops.

Is there any place I can at least file a request and make a case? I really like the location.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    It's managed by midpen (openspace.org) and they will never ever open rancho san antonio to mountain bikers beyond the very lame dirt path. Probably don't blame them. There are way too many walkers and the like there. Emailing them is probably a waste of your time. Your best bet is to go to one of their board meetings with protest signs ala code pink. Or get stealth elected to their board with a platform of banning all bikers and protecting um...make up some insect that sounds exotic. If you look at past threads, you can see there is 1 maybe 2 board members who are receptive to the mountain bike community.

Openspace.org - About Us - Meet the Staff for info about their board meetings.

sftrydr
    Or join and/or $$ support ROMP + be involved in countering over 2 decades of this seemingly all too common crap.(excluding MB riders for supposed impact concerns and no others)
    romp.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I always find it ironic when a city gets an award for being bike friendly, but makes it impossible to ride your bike anywhere except in the street.

Sunnyvale's Bike Friendly Award.

Mountain View's Bike Friendly Award.

Cupertino's Award...

In the bay area, Mountain biking is clearly in the same league as Nuclear Power. NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard)... Sure you can ride your Mountain bike... just as long as it's not within 10miles of where I walk. So go back down to Coe...

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    To the OP: I feel your pain. It's really frustrating when we come out on the short end of the riding crop, as we usually do. But equestrians seem to be better at organizing--and at throwing money at the right people. The sad thing is that there are lots of examples around the state (even in Orange County) where equestrians and mountain bikers share the trails with very few problems.

However, thanks to this post I just joined ROMP! We won't go down without a fight (or at least some cross words exchanged over a beer).
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    The land managers in the OC are way more receptive to the mountain bike community, partly because they recognize that the people who actually show up to do trail work and help build trails are for the large part mountain bikers. They are also much better about letting technical sections and rock gardens stand. Yes, sometimes they shutdown illegally built trails but they also try to work with the mtb community instead of against them and do try to turn social trails into legal ones. The trail "mentally sensitive" in aliso woods comes to mind. I think partly also the MTB community down there is more vocal; IIRC they've managed to get toll roads rerouted or blocked.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ That's true about trail work paying dividends, but my point was that even with its higher population density, multi-user trails (including mtb) work in the OC. As for Aliso Woods, where Mentally Sensitive is, it's kind on anomaly, because it's a small park and the head ranger, Ed, is also a mountain biker, so he opens up trails in a way that wouldn't happen in most parks. But even he won't talk about legalizing Telonix!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 02-27-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The Hammond-Snyder Loop Trail isn't part of the main Rancho San Antonio area. It goes around the Gate of Heaven cemetery, the Cristo Rey neighborhood and a PGE sub-station. It's a lot less busy than Fremont Older (or the rest of RSA), and actually has much better sight lines than Fremont Older as well. It could easily accommodate the occasional bike rider, like you who wants to get some exercise close to home. You can ride up Mora trail just so often, right? I'd encourage you petition mid-pen to open Hammond-Snyder Loop trail officially to bikes. If you don't ask, it will never happen.

And while you're at it: ask if they could open Chamise Trail, Rhus Ridge Trail (wide open fire roads) and Black Mountain Trail to multi-use as well. Maybe even on weekdays only as an experiment.
    Last edited by JL de Jong; 03-01-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah, that Hammond-Snyder Loop trail is very under-use. Not many people use it. I don't see a problem with it opening to mountain bikers. Plus, it won't attract too much mountain bikers anyway 'cause it's really a lame trail. It will benefit surrounding residents to use it for weekday exercises for sure.

I will draft up a petition letter to contest it.

Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong View Post
    The Hammond-Snyder Loop Trail isn't part of the main Rancho San Antonio area. It goes around the Gate of Heaven graveyard, the Cristo Rey neighborhood and a PGE sub-station. It's a lot less busy than Fremont Older (or the rest of RSA), and actually has much better sight lines than Fremont Older as well. It could easily accommodate the occasional bike rider, like you who wants to get some exercise close to home. You can ride up Mora trail just so often, right? I'd encourage you petition mid-pen to open Hammond-Snyder Loop trail officially to bikes. If you don't ask, it will never happen.

And while you're at it: ask if they could open Chamise Trail, Rhus Ridge Trail (wide open fire roads) and Black Mountain Trail to multi-use as well. Maybe even on weekdays only as an experiment.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    It's managed by midpen (openspace.org)…
    While that is true, per this map: http://www.openspace.org/preserves/m...an_antonio.pdf

…Hammond-Snyder Loop Trail is in the Santa Clara County Park part of Rancho San Antonio so likely County Parks would be the agency to make the bike/no bike decision.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post

However, thanks to this post I just joined ROMP! We won't go down without a fight (or at least some cross words exchanged over a beer).
    dirtvert,

Thanks for your interest in local trail access issues, as well as for joining ROMP; your membership is much appreciated.

-D
    Last edited by Diesel~; 02-28-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Medium?
    Ride it. If you get caught, pay. Problem solved.

It's about showing up.
    Thank you for supporting ROMP.
    I don't rattle.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    My mistake Charlie, I wasn't aware that part of the park is county.