mtbr member

How often do you session?

One thing I love to do is session a trail feature. Doesn't have to be steep or gnar or anything special. I always try to fit in a small session on every ride. Manual to small jump, bunny hop jump, kick turn on embankment, or just making up goofy things like riding down a hill backwards, etc. No matter the trail, there is always a way to have a great time. I can spend hours sessioning a small root drop. How about you guys?
    Such a long long time to be gone
    and a short time to be there

mtbr member
    Never. When ever my friends want to session a section I am the camera man, or just use it as an opportunity to take a break.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    turfnsurf and I sessioned the rocky stuff on Toad's...usually I just keep blasting down the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Every ride, it has made me into so much more of a confident rider both on jumps and trail riding. When I blast through a section I don't ride it to my potential, its interesting to hit the same thing faster and faster until you are uncomfortable. Sometimes you can really surprise yourself.

PRETENDURO
    Strava kinda screwed it up for me. Not that Iím not in control of myself, but being able to PR segments somehow has become more satisfying for me over the past few years. I am thinking that I should put some platforms on my most capable bike and just go out there and have fun sessioning stuff, and in the process gaining more skill and experience. Oh and still drink beers afterward. 🍻
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sessioning is the best. Usually jumps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    that goddamn root at skegs took me a few

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This is an internal struggle for me, loose definition of struggle. Sessioning helps me "master" a feature but I enjoy ripping an entire trail. Another thing I think about is "could my session mess with someone else's flow" because let's face it, if you're into one, nothing better than cleaning all the jumps, drops on a gnarly trail.

mtbr member
    Depends on the trail. I have a short trail loop near me in Martinez that has some switch backs and littered with small drops and jumps. I don't really session one feature but I like to loop it a few times since it's so short so I can hit the little features.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Strava kinda screwed it up for me. Not that Iím not in control of myself, but being able to PR segments somehow has become more satisfying for me over the past few years. I am thinking that I should put some platforms on my most capable bike and just go out there and have fun sessioning stuff, and in the process gaining more skill and experience. Oh and still drink beers afterward. 🍻
    This exactly! I'm so addicted to seeing my improvement on Strava that it's always in my mind when I stop to retry a feature.

Also, does it count as "cleaning" a section if you stop to rest and gather strength first?

Formerly dvo
    Back in the "freeride" era that was all we did, session every good feature on the trail. The last 5-10 years things have been more about point to point rides and loops. It would be fun to mix that aspect back into my riding.

used to be RipRoar
    Definitely, especially when conditions are prime, you just have to hike back up or loop it again...

mtbr member
    Strava is a lot like parents who video their kids violin recital on an iPhone. They spend the entire performance staring at a tiny screen, making a video they will never watch again, while the moment passes them by. I wonder if Brandon had his Strava on?

Cheeseburgler
    Depends where I am riding. But i think some of the largest gains in skill i have made came when hanging out and sessioning lines over and over for a long time. Especially at some of the more DH/freeride oriented areas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Strava is a lot like parents who video their kids violin recital on an iPhone. They spend the entire performance staring at a tiny screen, making a video they will never watch again, while the moment passes them by. I wonder if Brandon had his Strava on?

Didn't you watch the video? He pulled up in his truck, did that in one continuous run, and then rode off into the sunset. Braaap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Didn't you watch the video? He pulled up in his truck, did that in one continuous run, and then rode off into the sunset. Braaap.
    That's why I think he definitely had his Strava on.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I session Midpen gravel
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Whenever I don't clear something. If I keep failing it's as good as intervals, but with frustration and danger added.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I love a good session.
    Like MTBRDan tho, I've been trying to just roll rather than give in to my Skateboarding fallback of hitting the same bit over and over.

This was my last session like a week-ish ago at Tamarancho.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    There's a short little trail (maybe 3 mins downhill) in town that I sometimes session during the week. It has a decent variety of features, and I've definitely seen improvement both in my times on it (yes, Strava) and just how I feel riding it.