fc
    head minion Administrator

How much has the fire/smoke affected your riding?

Be honest. Let's do a little therapy session here.

Where do you live and how bad has it been? What have you been doing instead?
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    This week, work and laziness have affected my riding much more than the smoke.

L1MEY
    It's been Unhealthy or Very Unhealthy for the past 3 weeks in Carson City and I've barely ridden at all. I have asthma and even exercising indoors makes me feel like crap (plus, I hate exercising indoors... I'm not a bloody hamster!) I feel bad whining about the smoke when some people have lost their homes, but I am so done with this . Last time the smoke was this bad I left the country for 3 weeks and all the fires were out when I got back... sadly I don't have that luxury right now.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    The smoke hasn't been that bad the past few weeks. Normal riding in the morning before my dinner shift.
    But this past week, the smoke has increased.
    Took a few days off riding that I normally wouldn't have.
    Actually got some of the house cleaned that I hadn't seen in months...

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I rode on Sunday when it was clear as a bell and I was surprised just how clear it was. I rode Wednesday when it was pretty smokey, but I didn't really think about it and didn't feel any ill affects. I rode again yesterday and noticed that it was significantly worse. When I got home I noticed ash on my garbage cans for the first time since last October. That's when I realized I really shouldn't have been riding. My throat was slightly sore all night. I'm still feeling it this morning and it sucks!
    "The man was born on third and thinks he hit a triple. But instead of running home, he ran to second base."

fc
    I know dozens who bailed on their Downieville XC race. What's the rider limit there? We can probably tell from the results how many no shows.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i got dressed and on on my bike yesterday. i took a look outside and packed it in.

i have very minor asthma...never one of those Hollywood clogged lung events, but i simply cough when it gets bad..at night. if i rode it would have gotten to me.

my backyard furniture is grey with ash.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I live in the Central Valley. The smoke is terrible. Haven't been on the bike at all. It's depressing.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Chuckha62, still reporting from Santa Rosa? I have been working in Walnut Creek, I cant see Mt Diablo 2-3 miles away most days, totally covered in smoke. It seems to clear up a bit by 10 or 11am. I have taken the last 2 days off the bike, as smoke in Oakland in the evenings has finally shown up. Its not too bad, but I am playing it safe. I will ride today or Saturday as the forecadt for wind is coming from the west.

Dropshot Champ!
    The last 3 weeks have been tough. Ash on the cars and really bad air quality.

Been escaping to Marin every weekend to ride clean air..

mtbr member
    Haven't ridden in a while, going stir-crazy. The air looks only a bit hazy in Chico but I've been checking the air quality reports regularly and our small particulate readings have been consistently in the "Unhealthy" range. I'm not feeling any irritation during the day and its possible the readings are a bit off, but I just don't feel like risking any short or long term lung irritation from sucking wind in bad air

jrm
    mtbr member
    I definitely have a rasp in my voice and am clearing my throat a lot from riding in it to and from work. But it really hit me yesterday traveling between Oakland and Marysville. It felt like a cough i couldnt stop all day..sucked

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Chuckha62, still reporting from Santa Rosa? I have been working in Walnut Creek, I cant see Mt Diablo 2-3 miles away most days, totally covered in smoke. It seems to clear up a bit by 10 or 11am. I have taken the last 2 days off the bike, as smoke in Oakland in the evenings has finally shown up. Its not too bad, but I am playing it safe. I will ride today or Saturday as the forecadt for wind is coming from the west.
    Yeah, Sorry. Santa Rosa
    "The man was born on third and thinks he hit a triple. But instead of running home, he ran to second base."

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Haven't ridden in a while, going stir-crazy. The air looks only a bit hazy in Chico but I've been checking the air quality reports regularly and our small particulate readings have been consistently in the "Unhealthy" range. I'm not feeling any irritation during the day and its possible the readings are a bit off, but I just don't feel like risking any short or long term lung irritation from sucking wind in bad air
    Yeah moving around is sometimes ok but a big climb effort is risky
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    fairly CLEAR today in Santa Ro.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    The smoke and heat has really cut down on my riding. Well that and I had to donate some bike parts to Jeni's new bike so she could race CES.... I hit Northstar a couple of times and the staff there were wearing dust/smoke masks. I tried to ride Auburn with Jeni this week and the smoke had me choking and breathing funny after a Culvert lap and by the end of Stonewall/Rocky I was done for. That was only 5.5 miles of riding and I still feel crappy.

So instead of riding bikes we've been riding in the truck with the windows up and AC on to find cool swimming spots in the mountains.

Below Faucherie Lake
    How much has the fire/smoke affected your riding?-qvdkpya.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I didn't ride this week because of smoke. I live in Santa Rosa. A lot clearer today.

Short-Change-Hero
    Have been trying to ride on the clearer days here in Carson City, even trying to get out to Truckee/North Tahoe to try and get above the smoke but unfortunately there are so many fires that are dumping smoke/ash into the carson valley that it is ridiculous. News article yesterday day said that Gardnerville (20mins south of Carson City and 45 south of Reno) was ranked #1 in the nation for worst air quality due to all the fires.

Today is probably the clearest day we have had in over a week, we can actually see the sky today and have visibility that is more than a mile. Still soot and ash on everything from overnight but things are slightly clearing up at the moment.

Last time I rode was the last semi clear day, which was Thursday last week and that was a short ride due to "CLEAR" being the fact that I had about same visibility as today.

mtbr member
    Getting some more allergy type symptoms after rides just this week. Most like due to the smoke.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Getting some more allergy type symptoms after rides just this week. Most like due to the smoke.
    Definitely! Headaches, weak feeling, nausea etc. Some folks at our office are experiencing the same.

Auburn was bad this week. At the end of the video you can see how smokey the Confluence area was and the camera cuts through a lot of it yet it still looks bad. By the end of the run I was coughing so bad I started gagging. lol

mtbr member
    The smokiness in the East Bay has just given me an extra excuse to stay home instead of riding. Went out maybe two nights ago to ride just for a mental health sanity check.

fc
    Clear in SJ today
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Woke up to clear skies here in Angwin.
    AQI of 56.
    One hour later the AQI rose to 188.

fc
    Something kinda good is Iíve had this eBike for a couple week, Pivot Shuttle. Legal in all Santa Clara County parks so I take to John Nicholas and Santa Teresa even when hot and smokey.

I can dial in my effort depending on conditions.

And the effin bugs canít catch me.
    IPA will save America

SOG
    mtbr member
    Live in Portola Valley and most of my rides are on the coast (Pacifica & SC) so the air quality hasn't been an issue.

mtbr member
    No issue for me in SJ. Kinda smoky some afternoon rides at Santa Teresa but it doesnít really bother me. Heading up to Truckee this weekend, but i think it is supposed to be clearing out?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    My buddy called it for today. He's a Cal Fire Captain so he keeps up on local weather patterns. When we were riding yesterday, he said the prevailing was supposed to shift overnight and today was supposed to be much better in Sonoma County. It defintely is.

mtbr member
    Santa Rosa has terrible on some days and ok on other days. I've been playing more disc golf. Tomorrow there's a poker ride at Annadel starting at Spring Lake. If the air's bad, I'll just ride really slowly up the hills. If the air's good, I'll ride really slowly up the hills.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    How is South Lake Tahoe doing? Covered in ash also?

Formerly dvo
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I know dozens who bailed on their Downieville XC race. What's the rider limit there? We can probably tell from the results how many no shows.
    800 for the XC
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    IT's been pretty bad in Santa Rosa, typically mornings are ok by by afternoon/evening it gets really smokey. I was out in it the other day doing some light excercise when it was yellow advisory and woke up with a sore throat.

Riding has been tabled as of now as I can only seem to get out in the afternoons and it's just too hot/muggy and smokey to enjoy

L1MEY
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    How is South Lake Tahoe doing? Covered in ash also?
    I actually got a ride in today... in Incline Village not South Lake, but the wind has shifted and you can actually see from one side of Tahoe to the other right now. It's still hazy and the air quality isn't the best, though it's not as bad as it has been all this week and you can't smell the smoke. I made sure to do a trail that was easy enough that I wasn't gulping down vast quantities of sucky air.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    Because the weather service predicted haze giving way to clear sunshine after 11:00 yesterday in Napa, I rode the river to ridge trail all the way to the knob at the end of the superb new trail. I think that Murphy made the forecast because it was clear when I started and smoke came in after 11:00. The smoke had kept me from riding for the last three weeks because of adult onset asthma. It is not good at all for me. Oddly enough, I rode strong after three weeks off until the smoke got pretty bad. Fortunately, I rode the new trail to the Teuteur loop to the Lake Marie road down so it was all fabulous downhill back to the truck.

Perversely enough, I ran into a brand new fire on the River to Ridge trail just getting going on the Syar quarry property only about 100 feet off the trail! This was the "Syar Fire" and it got knocked down after a couple of thousand acres. The fire department was just getting there as I went by. A little later and I would not have been allowed through.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Fresno here. Air has been well into the unhealthy range everyday since the fires started combined with well over 100 degree temps have been disgusting. Havenít stopped riding as it doesnít affect me that much besides some scratchy throat and itchy eyes but probably doing more harm than good. Have been able to escape ride around 8000í a few times which seems to be above where the smoke likes to live.

mtbr member
    Eldoco cameron park but riding around jenkinson lake and above tahoe has been ok. Hazy and low viz but the smoke inhalation didnít bother me. Its still hazy af - im just not feeling the effects of it. Just me tho.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Tahoe West Shore and Truckee area have consistently been clearer than South and East, though some days have still been pretty hazy. Hasn't kept me off the bike at all. Gotta breathe either way, might as well be riding. Looks like things won't change much for at least several weeks, too, the moondust is prime, quit making excuses and go ride!

fc
    Thanks for chiming in everyone. You know it's bad when we become AQI experts. Hopefully clearer skies in our future.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Concord & Lime Ridge were too smoky to ride Wed-Fri this week.

Clear & everyone riding this morning! :-)

Catfish ...

Formerly of Kent
    Not sure if it falls into the Nor or SoCal area, but China Peak was pretty decent the last couple days.

Not terribly hot, and the air quality was good enough that I havenít been feeling any negative side effects. And, I have relatively sensitive lungs/throat. You could smell smoke in the air but not nearly as bad as places on the way from Oakland to China Peak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Trail Gnome
    Itís been smoky some days and clear some days...depends on which way the wind is blowing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have only done one short local ride in the past couple of weeks. Did a couple of days of hiking up in the Russian river area which was a bit hazy but air was ok at lower elevations. Hoping to get more riding in this week, maybe in Reno area if that has cleared off.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Hasn't cramped my style too much in Sacramento. Been doing some CX/gravel rides in town. I did have the cancel a big ride in South lake this weekend

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    This will be continuing for the next three months. We all need to find ways to work with it and ride when we can. It's important for most of us to avoid major aerobic efforts (big climbs at full gas) when AQI is over 100. I consciously dialed it back a bit on the Downieville XC climb and the race was blessed with a pocket of relatively clear air after the first climb. The Marin headlands were clear yesterday. But it's day to day most places.

hopeless moron
    Iíve been having some sinus and throat issues for over two weeks. I normally donít experience this in the summertime. Surely itís got to do with the smoke particulates in the air, as I havenít changed anything else in my nutrition/sleep/food/water/etc/routine/etc./whatever.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need
    BTW, itís called ďsarcasmĒ; youíre soaking in it!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    This will be continuing for the next three months. We all need to find ways to work with it and ride when we can. It's important for most of us to avoid major aerobic efforts (big climbs at full gas) when AQI is over 100. I consciously dialed it back a bit on the Downieville XC climb and the race was blessed with a pocket of relatively clear air after the first climb. The Marin headlands were clear yesterday. But it's day to day most places.
    good point. Seems like the new normal during the season.
    IPA will save America

bike whore
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Yeah moving around is sometimes ok but a big climb effort is risky
    Ebike is the proper tool for this crappy situation Francis. Ride all day, same stuff, but have the ability to govern the effor and not go deep. And did I mention theyíre an absolute blast.

banned
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Romad View Post
    Ebike is the proper tool for this crappy situation Francis. Ride all day, same stuff, but have the ability to govern the effor and not go deep. And did I mention theyíre an absolute blast.
    Silly me, I thought folks were discussing riding mountain bikes, not motor bikes.

South Lake was excellent today from Stagecoach to Toadís.

Airnow.gov is a great resource for current AQI and forecasts.

Top of Toadís:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How much has the fire/smoke affected your riding?-6fad3634-455b-47b3-94ec-272745774b08.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just keep riding. I definitely notice it, maybe sneeze and cough a bit. I figure if the guys on the fire line can breathe that crap for 12 + hour shifts while busting their buts, I can ride for a couple hours.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by brownpownow View Post
    Silly me, I thought folks were discussing riding mountain bikes, not motor bikes.

South Lake was excellent today from Stagecoach to Toadís.

Airnow.gov is a great resource for current AQI and forecasts.

Top of Toadís:
    Funny, I never see that sign when I'm riding by on my bike. Usually going to fast and having too much fun.

Sent from somewhere out there.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Yesterday morning in Annadel was MUCH better than it was in the middle of last week. I had not been up on a Sunday morning in a long time, but man that place was busy! Families of hikers, lots and lots of bikes and even three or four horses.

I even saw a 300+ lb helmet-less guy cruising up Canyon on an E-bike. I looked to see if he had a helmet hanging off the bike somewhere, but didn't see one. I will say this, he had an ear to ear grin on his face and was barely pedaling. Don't tell me how little assist they give. (...and yes, I've ridden one.)

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Romad View Post
    Hey Romad,

Fancy seeing you here. Sup buddy!!!

fc
    IPA will save America

Short-Change-Hero
    Slight haze yesterday (Sunday) and today all around the carson valley and east/south shore of Tahoe. But much MUCH better than it has been in recent weeks. Looks like we may have a slight break in the smoke so get out and ride people!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Because the weather service predicted haze giving way to clear sunshine after 11:00 yesterday in Napa, I rode the river to ridge trail all the way to the knob at the end of the superb new trail. I think that Murphy made the forecast because it was clear when I started and smoke came in after 11:00. The smoke had kept me from riding for the last three weeks because of adult onset asthma. It is not good at all for me. Oddly enough, I rode strong after three weeks off until the smoke got pretty bad. Fortunately, I rode the new trail to the Teuteur loop to the Lake Marie road down so it was all fabulous downhill back to the truck.
    OT, but where is this new trail? Is it an extension of the R2R?

mtbr member
    I rode Tamo last Wednesday (8th) and decided to do Repack since I've never done it before. It was Smokey and hot and I was on a time crunch so I pushed it pretty hard. By the time I got to White Hill Fire road I was feeling it. Then on the climb to Repack I got totally served, it crushed me. It's a steady climb but I consider myself a pretty strong climber.

I kept saying to myself 'why am i getting my ass kicked so hard??'. I slogged thru it and shook it off. Thought I was suddenly in shit shape.

The next day my throat was sore and I realized that I must have sucked in a lot of smoke up there. So I chalked my beating up to that. Haven't ridden since due to work. Back out tomorrow.

On another note they've been grading and pruning on Repack and parts of it were pretty banged up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk