Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

How to get into downhill.

Hello every one i am looking to get into downhill riding and i have no idea how to start. Where to get a bike (well i can figure that one out). But witch ones best for me; where to ride and where to learn.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Whats your riding experience? Bmx background? Whats your current ride? More info will help. Also, what riding area are you close to?

mtbr member
    When the snow melts, go up to Northstar.
    Get a lift ticket.
    Rent a bike, a helmet, some body armor.
    Go to the top of the mountain and throw your self off of it.
    Rinse and repeat as needed.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    You may get a lot of responses from experienced DH riders based on how they themselves got into riding, and that'll be super valuable. I am in the process myself, closer to where you're at, so here's my perspective:
    If you already trail ride, keep at it, and ride faster*. It's doubtful that once you buy a World Cup-level bike, you'll only be riding WC-level trails. *caveat: without endangering other users, breaking laws, etc.
    Race local super D's. The CCCX series (almost over) is fun, and by the number of really fast entrants on 8"-travel bikes, you can tell that 'real' DH racing is not so common in this area that DHers can be snobbish. It's not technical, but it's fast and fun and competitive.
    The Sierra Cup (Norcal/NV) also has serveral SDs on its schedule for this year.
    Whatever bike you have, learn to jump it at one of the area's bike parks. True dirt jumpers have a lot to complain about the different shortcomings of Pleasanton BP, Calabazas BP, etc, but you can build a lot of skill that will translate well to the trail with just a few different sized tabletops.
    Save your pennies for days at Northstar in the summer, is what I have been told by riders better than me. Good luck.

Fixed: DJers have _something_ to complain about. We have multiple bike parks in the area and if they could be bigger or gap-ier or have better rhythm, still we have several free parks, which is good.
    Last edited by Snfoilhat; 04-22-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Stroke of reasonableness

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by youngTrider View Post
    Hello every one i am looking to get into downhill riding and i have no idea how to start. Where to get a bike (well i can figure that one out). But witch ones best for me; where to ride and where to learn.
    Well, I suppose it would be best to start at the top of the mountain.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Well, I suppose it would be best to start at the top of the mountain.
    Good call!!
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Good call!!

I tried to give you rep for your first comment, but it turns out I can't rep you quite yet.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Start drinking Red Bull, lots of it. There's nothing like railing a berm while your heart is on the verge of cardiac arrest! Also, start listening to dubstep. The super whomping' heavy stuff. You're gonna need to have a bad ass soundtrack once you start posting videos on Pinkbike. Even if your video editing or riding sucks, people will still be impressed by your knowledge of super bad bad ass dubstep. You don't want to sound like a noob once you have some bros to ride with. So pick a favorite rider that wins a lot of races and then you can argue who is the fastest or the smoothest or who has the most style. You can't go wrong with Danny Hart. Even XC riders know who he is despite the fact he's really only won one big race- Aaron Gwin who? Lastly, you should try and interject Whistler into the conversation every chance you get. If you've never been, talk about the Whistler trip you and all of your bros are planning this summer. If you're one of the few that have actually been to Whistler, you are automatically the envy of bro-riders across California. Tell them how Whistler was not as challenging as you thought because you're so smooth on your DH rig.

Finally stateside again
    get on a bike and go as fast as you can downhill. pretty much it. oh and having some balls to point it and go. if you have to ask how to get into it it might not be the thing for you. but if you really want to get into it buy a good used dh bike and take it up to northstar every weekend you can this summer. you need to ride out of your comfert zone and try and push yourself. thats what downhill is all about.

Finally stateside again
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    Start by posting on the MTBR DH forum. Too many sarcastic DH haters on the Norcal forum.
    the downhillers are taking over again. there have been lots of dh type post lately.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Start by posting on the MTBR DH forum. Too many sarcastic DH haters on the Norcal forum.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    the downhillers are taking over again. there have been lots of dh type post lately.
    Good to hear

PinkPike.com is also going to be your DH best friend

The vids are cool and their used bikes/parts section rocks:

Oh look, 400+ used downhill bikes in Cali:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list...=194&provid=18

I bought my 2011 Trek Session 8 off of there... Came with a better fork than the 2012 Session 8 and saved me 3.5k in the process.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Be in your early 20's

By late 30's, your body won't stand a chance! At least if you're an average human like me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    By late 30's, your body won't stand a chance! At least if you're an average human like me.
    Haha! I wish I knew and started early. First year of DH riding and I'm turning 44 this year. Always thought I was a decent fast descending rider until I rode with a real DH guy and was blown away by the difference in speed and skill. Ironically, he was a year older than me.

Speaking of skill, I think a DH rider with a complete package should be comfortable in the following situations:
    1) fast, loose terrain (including rain)
    2) steep, rocky, technical terrain
    3) jumpy sections with air
    4) drops

Maybe I should just go back to XC riding, but then I'd have to pedal, be in shape and drink beer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ok thanks so much every one i live in Menlo Park Near Stanford (Ya not the best area for DH) i am good on a hard tail not great not suck. I was looking at a Giant region x1 for a bike to start.

Medium?
    It's not about the bike...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    Speaking of skill, I think a DH rider with a complete package...
    With balls that big - how does one even sit down on a bike?

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post

Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    Yeah but the DH forum is full of over-inflated egos and people that actually think that a dh bike is needed in the Bay area.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by youngTrider View Post
    Go downhill FAST. If anything gets in your way, TURN!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    You don't that's why your seat is lowered... not for the looks more for the clearance. Those suckers need room to swing.
    To love me is to rep me, world domination is eminent/imminent/immanent.

inner peace to make peace

I have the same question

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    When the snow melts, go up to Northstar.
    Get a lift ticket.
    Rent a bike, a helmet, some body armor.
    Go to the top of the mountain and throw your self off of it.
    Rinse and repeat as needed.
    Renting can go so far.

You'll want to KNOW your own bike.

A XC rider on a day or two of bike park riding a DH bike does not transform that person into a DH-er or FR-er: Your experiences may vary, but that did not heppent for me

My take is to build up or buy a 6"to 7" full suspesnion bike (I chose an old Santa Cruz Bullit/Boxxer fork), learn to jump & drop it. Eventually, I may buy a dedicated DH/FR bike.

Gotta own it and play with it to know.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

... and if we just ... bought 2011 Trek Session 8 off pinkbike, saved 3.5k

Quote Originally Posted by GoingOffRoading View Post
    Good to hear

PinkPike.com is also going to be your DH best friend

The vids are cool and their used bikes/parts section rocks:

Oh look, 400+ used downhill bikes in Cali:
    Freeride/DH Bikes - Page 1 - Pinkbike.com Buy&Sell

I bought my 2011 Trek Session 8 off of there... Came with a better fork than the 2012 Session 8 and saved me 3.5k in the process.
    whoaaa! i cringe to hear that kind of luck, to a point of hate: I will try to immitate.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! not needed, but wanted

Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    Yeah but the DH forum is full of over-inflated egos and people that actually think that a dh bike is needed in the Bay area.
    aint about needs, it's about wants.
    want to feel the wind on my skin-head while jumping gap & drops. whoo hooooh.

I just wanna go fast...
    eh, best advice you can get is to go ride with some people that like to go downhill fast. Keeping doing that and the rest will just fall into place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast