Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

How Does Auburn Hold Up in the Rain?

I am heading up from SoCal to visit my dad in Lincoln for Christmas. I should be in the are until the 1st. Would I be wasting my team binging my mountain bike? Is Auburn area even rideable this time of year?

mtbr member
    Not a waste of time at all. Auburn holds up well to anything but heavy storms. And then just give things a couple days before hitting the trails.
    Alternatives are Granite Bay and Salmon Falls, both of which hold up to pretty much anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Yeah it is rideable this time of year, it is more a matter of when the last set of storms have run through. As of a few days ago I have seen reports of the trails being in good shape and local folks helping to clear downed trees. I would suggest posting back closer to the time you plan on riding to see how it was the few days prior. Today closer to Sac we still had some rain but it wasn't bad. The forecast for the next few days shows a break and then more rain. Another option for quicker draining terrain albeit a lot less climbing is the Granite Bay trails. If it were me the bike would be packed for the trip.

edit: Ha I see as usual Brewtality beat me to it, yeah what he said...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Bring your bike! There is a lot of rain in the forecast but if the trails are too muddy we have plenty of dirt (and paved) roads to explore. See Sean Allan's posts, great stuff.

HTFU!
    If you were determined to ride come hell or high-water then you could likely do Stagecoach out to Quarry and back (~15 miles). Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that you could ride those trails in a downpour without doing any 'damage' to the trails. Or just do repeats on Stagecoach...nice scenery and over 700' of climbing/descending stretched across two miles; now doesn't that sound like fun!?!

Dropshot Champ!
    sunday was awesome. today=rivers on stagecoach/flood.

If it doesn't rain much tomorrow, it will make for a little dirty ride. I can't believe that some spots were almost dry on sunday, it was awesome. Today though, I was glad to be on shoes instead of tires.

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    sunday was awesome. today=rivers on stagecoach/flood.

If it doesn't rain much tomorrow, it will make for a little dirty ride. I can't believe that some spots were almost dry on sunday, it was awesome. Today though, I was glad to be on shoes instead of tires.
    Do you think the Auburn everything loop will be good to go by Wednesday?
    For Sale: EPIC

Send it!

www.rayscyclebicycles.com

HTFU!
    Yes. If it does not rain by then they will be good. There will be some puddles at the start of Clementine (along the river) and the connector will have some damp areas as will the 2nd half of FHDL after the road crossing (going ccw), but not mud (partially thanks to a lot of leaf cover). Naturally there will be some small puddles spread out along the route (some big ones here and there if you take Fuel break to Culvert), and with the upcoming temps, they may be there for a while. Confluence will be find.
    I rode in similar conditions last week (Thurs) and had great traction even on the SS, and after the ride one could not tell by looking at me that it had rained a day or two before. I was careful as I rode along to be sure I was not leaving ruts, or I would have turned back rather than contribute to damaging trails (actually walked around one large puddle on Culvert), but no ruts, no trail damage, just a nice day in the saddle.
    Enjoy, and thanks for being concerned about the trails.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng View Post
    Do you think the Auburn everything loop will be good to go by Wednesday?
    dunno, but I'm gunna find out. It can't be too bad. A day and a half of draining trails in auburn does alot. The drainage work in recent years has really made it great after a day or two. But during or right after a rainstorm can get pretty slick.

mtbr member
    Over all it'll be fine on Wednesday, portions are going to get beat but overall it'll be in good shape. There are some great hills to climb at GB just gotta know where to look. But if I were coming out of town to ride....I'd hit confluence and Forest Hill fo sho...
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Dont forget Cronan Ranch. It seems to hold up REALLY well to the rain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    L ast summer i heard talk of a parking permit being needed in the future. Was that implemented?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yep. $10/day in the state park area. About $130 I think for the year pass. The one exception is the top of Russel Rd./Stagecoach. Still free.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    Yep. $10/day in the state park area. About $130 I think for the year pass. The one exception is the top of Russel Rd./Stagecoach. Still free.
    I have been parking on the other side of the river as you head up to Cool. They are not charging for parking over there.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
    I have been parking on the other side of the river as you head up to Cool. They are not charging for parking over there.
    Yes they are. Someone posted about getting a ticket there already, with a warning stamp on it.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Yes they are. Someone posted about getting a ticket there already, with a warning stamp on it.
    Asked a park worker and the answer was yes it's fee area.

If ya wanna go cheap just park n Auburn and ride Stagecoach/Manzanita down and out. Save the $5 for a beer at Auburn Ale house.

Dropshot Champ!
    Did you hit the trails justin?

Pretty muddy, but the really cold temps kept most stuff frozen. Nothing like the sound of tires crunching frozen leaves and breaking the top layer of puddles!

Urban Ninja
    Did you hit the trails justin?

Pretty muddy, but the really cold temps kept most stuff frozen. Nothing like the sound of tires crunching frozen leaves and breaking the top layer of puddles!
    Killer. It was amazing! My choice of a worn out Renegade rear tire was not the most optimal for the trail conditions but it led to some of the most intense riding in a while. Counter steering almost every leaf filled corner was bad arse! Go ride Auburn before the rain hits, go now, I mean it, strap lights on, lie to the boss, do whatever you have to do. RIDE!
    For Sale: EPIC

Send it!

www.rayscyclebicycles.com

Dropshot Champ!
    forecast for tomorrow (thursday) went from 100% chance of rain, down to 20% (and likely to hit in the evening).

tomorrow should be decent and alot less cold!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    forecast for tomorrow (thursday) went from 100% chance of rain, down to 20% (and likely to hit in the evening).

tomorrow should be decent and alot less cold!
    DAMMM it was cold. I rode just before dark this evening and had to soak in the hot tub for a 1/2 hour afterwards to coax my junk back out.

mtbr member
    DAMMM it was cold. I rode just before dark this evening and had to soak in the hot tub for a 1/2 hour afterwards to coax my junk back out.
    Ok…thanks just spit all over my computer screen, not a visual I needed. But I did sit in my hot tube last night.

I’m hoping Sunday the weather holds to get out, I know we need the rain but can we get a break to ride!!!!

HTFU!
    Yep, the ole 'scared tortoise' syndrome. I was there with a chilly Auburn ride last night. I was dressed right but dang, one guy was in shorts...his junk must have snuck into a dark cave to keep warm!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Rode FHDL at midday. Pretty manky. I'd have to put it on the not recommended list. These cold days have resulted in a situation where the water is not drying out. Its just freezing at night, thawing during the day and really lofting the bottoms of the puddles to create some really sticky goopy conditions. I really mudded up the bike today. It was like dragging an anchor around with all the mud pealing off against the stays.

mtbr member
    How does Culvert/Confluence hold up? Coming home and hoping to ride sometime between Saturday and Xmas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Darn weather men. I could have snuck in a ride this morning but the forecast shut me down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast