Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Given the disease and pestilence that follows you around, how do you know she won't say "Yes, please go!"

That said, if your real goal is to include the whole clan...massages and the facilities at Scandinave are pretty nice. Get a sitter for the whee ones for most of the time.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    sshhhhh

that's what I'm trying to do

it would be a blast IMO
    Tell her about Lost Lake, lots of great trails that are not too difficult, some even rideable with a trailerbike or kid trailer. The lake also has a nice little beach for sunning and swimming, a kid area, and it's dog friendly in case you have any four-legged children..

Trip Adviser reviews

Whistler Lakes, Beaches & Parks - Whistler.com is the Official Site for Accommodation, Activity Reservations and Information in Whistler, BC, Canada

While you are in that Whistler.com site, look up all the other stuff that the family would like. Also stress to your wife about the shopping and eating possibilities in Whistler Village.

Here is what I did when I wanted to get in some riding time in Whistler:

I took a trip to Canada with my not-really-into-cycling wife and my grom daughter a few years back. We drove, stopping for the night on the way up in Portland, hit Powells Bookstore the next day as a treat for my voracious reader wife, then drove up past Olympic National Park to Port Angeles, took the MV Coho ferry to Victoria on Vancouver Island and spent the night.

Next day rode a little bit of the Galloping Goose Trail in the morning with the kid while the wife slept in, then spent the day in Victoria going to the BC Museum, took the wife on a carriage ride around Victoria, then had English High Tea at James Bay Tearoom and Restaurant.

On the following day, we drove up the peninsula to Butchart Gardens and the Victoria Butterfly Gardens. After letting the wife and girl get all happy visiting those places, we hopped on a BC Ferry and went to Vancouver. Stayed in Richmond with relatives.

Next day wife did some shopping in Vancouver, my kid and I rode around Stanley Park, getting lunch at Stanley Park Pavilion, and hit the aquarium.

After all that, my wife and kid were satiated and mellow, ready to drive up to Whistler for several days of me riding solo and with the daughter, and my wife relaxing, getting spa treatments at the hotel, shopping in the village, and hiking around Lost Lake. We had arrived in Whistler the day after Crankworx ended, so there was still a lot of mountain bike related buzz working in the crowds and the resort, lots of team riders still around, and stuff to see that was bike related, but without the massive spectator crowds and craziness. Rooms were rather inexpensive as there were a lot of vacancies after the festival.

Plan smartly, think family, make compromises, and have fun.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Paper or plastic?
    Being that a divorce is probably the most expensive you can go through in your life, you need to be creative... Any chance of dropping off the little ones with the grand parents?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

swag ho Administrator
    How many overnighters or weekend trips have you done in the last year? If none, then two weeks may be a stretch.

You can probably take them or they can follow. One week trip. Whistler Bike Park Review something for everyone | Mountain Bike Review

fc
    Last edited by francois; 06-15-2012 at 01:36 PM.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    OK - good advice y'all (except the whole hire a hunky nanny thing )

Here's what's going on.

Visit Sis-in-Law in Seattle.

Plim and grrah come kidnap me and drive up past the border.

I am not located for 3 whole [riding] days.

I then 'escape' my captors and flee back to Seattle via bus and train with tales of woe and such.

so far Mrs. CHUM is cool with that idea
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

~~~
    Way to make it happen, Chum!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You could hire a nanny in whistler... My wife and I did this a few years ago. We hired a nanny in the morning to ride together (mainly Crank it up. My wife LOVES that trail.). In the afternoon Melissa would head back to get the kid and I'd go hit the scarey stuff solo. Worked well for us... There is lots to see and do in Whistler for kids. Our nanny would take our daughter for walks and even bring her to the base of the lifts to watch the bikers. Here is the place we used:

http://www.babysittingwhistler.com/#

And here's Melissa on Crank it Up:
    Last edited by goin' medium; 06-15-2012 at 03:51 PM.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by goin' medium View Post
    You could hire a nanny in whistler... My wife and I did this a few years ago. We hired a nanny in the morning to ride together (mainly Crank it up. My wife LOVES that trail.). In the afternoon Melissa would head back to get the kid and I'd go hit the scarey stuff solo. Work for us... and there is lots to see and do in Whistler for kids. Our nanny would take our daughter for walks and even bring her to the base of the lifts to watch the bikers. Here is the place we used:

http://www.babysittingwhistler.com/#

And here's Melissa on Crank it Up:

Super Cool Idea!

Mrs. CHUM has just started riding again - so this gives her just enough time to 'dust' the cobwebs off....then leave me in the dust....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Medium?
    My 13yo daughter wants an iPhone. She can't have one. Deal with it.

PS: If you decide to do the "leave in the middle of the night", call me...

mtbr member
    Hauling the whole family sounds like the only alternative. Two years ago I wanted to go to Innerbike for two days. Hit the dirt demo one day and the convention center the next. The wife was fine with handling the two youngsters solo ( a 1yr old boy and 4 yr old girl) for one day but not two. Next thing I know we're loading up the minivan to drive down there. Tons of new toys were wrapped up to keep the kids occupied in the hotel and dinner for the wife with an ex co-worker that lived down there sealed the deal. But a two week gig? Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A big rock (the one you put on a finger, NOT the one you smoke) or promise her a second honeymoon (minus the kids).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    All you need to do is take her on a side trip to picturesque Vancouver Island and perhaps throw in a high tea at the Empress Hotel and you're golden.

http://www.vancouverisland.travel/

mtbr member
    Better take the whole family or never come back.

I haven't been to Whistler since 1969. Blackholm and the Olympics were just a dream back then. Beautiful area and friendly people are my memories. I went to summer ski race camp in June for a week. I think BC had a mild winter, but check conditions before booking a trip. We drove out to Brianshead Utah for downhill biking, only to find the resort was still covered in snow and no mtn biking for a while.

But how hard is it watching the devil's spawn... unless you run out of duct tape.

mtbr member
    I hear there are some good day spa / massage / whatever she wants in the whistler village. Lotsa kiddie stuff to do too!
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    sshhhhh

that's what I'm trying to do

it would be a blast IMO

mtbr member
    Also, I hear TheLaw likes to babysit while everyone goes riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KevXR View Post
    Better take the whole family or never come back.

I haven't been to Whistler since 1969. Blackholm and the Olympics were just a dream back then. Beautiful area and friendly people are my memories. I went to summer ski race camp in June for a week. I think BC had a mild winter, but check conditions before booking a trip. We drove out to Brianshead Utah for downhill biking, only to find the resort was still covered in snow and no mtn biking for a while.

But how hard is it watching the devil's spawn... unless you run out of duct tape.
    This wouldn't even hold my year old twins ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    500 buck gift card to the Scandinave Spa and day care should do it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I only managed 2 weeks in Whistler a couple years back by bringing a large entourage: wife; daughter; unborn son (8+ months pregnant wife); mother in law and father in law; a buddy and his wife. A great time was had by all, highly recommended.

On another note, my wife just took the kids on a trip (again, to see her parents) for 10 days, and in the midst of the first freedom of this length in 5 years. Downieville, now in Tahoe, thence ???

I do savor my fortunate moments...

mtbr member
    If you end up going and it was an unapproved- we have a spare room for when you come back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2