mtbr member

How to build a Culvert Trail berm just right!

Auburn Culvert Trail V2 Brought to you by Forest Trails Alliance - YouTube

Thanks to Forest Trails Alliance and a bizillion Auburn volunteers!

More Torque
    Awesome to see that there are organizations in CA progressive enough to support and facilitate the construction of such trail features.

-D

mtbr member
    I am surprised to see FTA was involved with this. Where was FATRAC?
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Did a few Clementine,Culvert,Confluence loops today...and what a change!
    These guys have the equipment to get it done...
    They are doing an awesome job....love the use of the long PVC pipe to keep the flow line.
    And looked like FATRAC was involved too...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Great work they are doing. Thank you!

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I am surprised to see FTA was involved with this. Where was FATRAC?
    FATRAC | Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Action Coalition

Front page
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    Thanks.

The OP only referenced FTA. Same as other articles I have seen about the work. No mention of FATRAC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Big thanks the trail rides great!!!!

Sweater
    Thanks.

The OP only referenced FTA. Same as other articles I have seen about the work. No mention of FATRAC.
    I don't remember hearing anything about it either until we were out there riding. Fatrac and forest trail allience were out there with ASRA.

mtbr member
    What a surprise to see that today. They are doing an awesome job. Can't wait to go back later this week to ride it again.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Culvert Project is a collaborative effort that is currently supported through:

- FATRAC
    - Forest Trails Alliance
    - REI
    - Auburn and some Sacramento area bike shops

A special call out for Auburn Bike Works in Auburn as their staff have been involved from this project's inception and they have recruited many of their riders to work on this project.

This project will take place over the course of the next 12-18 months. If you would like to stay on top of what is happening, I'd recommend you join the following Google Group:

ASRA Culvert Trail Improvement Project | Google Groups

I post updates there on a regular basis.

aka dan51
    They used flow pipes too! Nice!

mtbr member
    Thank you STEVE and EVERYONE!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sminniear View Post
    I post updates there on a regular basis.
    You had been posting up on here. Could you continue to do that as well?
    I would love to have been there to help out yesterday, but never heard anything about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    They used flow pipes too! Nice!

Zachi at FTA invented flow pipes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yes - I can do that as well.

Thanks for your interest and support.

Zach Attack
    I am still a mile high after this weekend. In the 20 years I have been pursuing trail building the combination of a killer alignment to work with and the great people that came out made this my favorite trail building experience EVER!!!

Our vision in creating a community based trail building organization came to maturity with this project. It has been our goal to connect to and empower organizations like ASRA and FATRAC with the equipment and skills to aid in producing tangible results. FTA is a Petr-dish of sorts for the mad bacterium of the twisted single track mind. It is our goal to continue to grow this organization with both the blood of the possessed and the steel of the machines that will shape our tomorrows inspirations.

If you believe in what is possible, consider shaving a sliver of the value of your suspended mount and invest it in FTA. No Paid Staff. All $ goes to dirt. 8 projects underway this year bringing 13 miles of new single track your way (if we can raise the money for the NEPA environmental costs). If $ is short, shed sweat instead and come and join one of our 10 day trail builds this spring!

Trail Love Auburn Culvert Trail V2 Brought to you by Forest Trails Alliance - YouTube

z

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Zachi, are you doing the NEPA, using a consultant, or are you paying for FS staff? Assuming it's on USFS land of course...

I have to research that flow pipe thing...first I've heard of it.

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Steve,

Thanks so much for putting this together! This was the most productive trail work day I’ve been on and I can see how the new changes will get some “wee!” responses. I can’t wait to ride it myself.

I was also very impressed with the Forest Trails Alliance professionalism; from design, sustainable issues to conflict resolution - if someone needs a team working on trails - these are the guys.

And special thanks to State Parks for being open to making this trail more than just a straight line through some rocks.

Pics for those who could not make it.

Delicious burm.... & FLOW sticks guide the replacement trail through the old straight

P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to build a Culvert Trail berm just right!-culvert_burm.jpg  

How to build a Culvert Trail berm just right!-culvert_flow_sticks.jpg  

weekend worrier
    The trail workers let a few of us ride the new section on Sunday and it was awesome. Love the two new tabletops. Great work by everyone involved!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    WOW.

Awesome work everyone.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    that looks really fantastic!

Zach Attack
    Quote Originally Posted by tjp View Post
    Zachi, are you doing the NEPA, using a consultant, or are you paying for FS staff? Assuming it's on USFS land of course...

I have to research that flow pipe thing...first I've heard of it.
    The FLOWSTICKtm is a fantastic tool we utilize, one of many secrets...

I can howl like a coyote, that is the closest skill to doing environmental work I possess. Each land manager and project is unique, the USFS uses their own in-house team which is much cheaper.

But this is just the tip of the iceberg with the spice available when you create an organization filled with obsessive trail lovers like me that is all about creativity, empowerment and flowy trail. It is our goal to have FTA be the sharpened tip of the spear that regional mountain biker groups (acting as the shaft and power) can utilize for projects. Please consider helping us shape this idea and vision into an effective tool for our area. It is through education of the bigger picture that we can create team approaches to projects like this and open doors of opportunity with land-managers.

Things that you can do to help;
    • Help us raise money.... no money goes to payroll or staff, all volunteer… but we do need $$ for environmental fees, insurance and to invest in equipment (most of the equipment was on loan)
    • Be a part of our crew… support the vision by wearing the colors and gear, our goal is to create a workforce image for public relations and convincing land managers to give us opportunities
    • Help us market our vision…. Flyers, events, and especially need creative talent for our new website…
    • Ride more…. And listen for opportunities to support the vision for sweeter trails

z

mtb'er
    Very nice! Since I didn't help, but I'll be riding that trail, I just donated $20 via your website. C'mon mt. bikers... cough up some scratch for these guys! Forest Trails Alliance

Thanks for your on-going hard work!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    there should be a 'Wd40 to rear rotor application station' at the top of the trail - mandatory for any dh or 'all mountain' bikes.
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Pics for those who could not make it.
    Thanks for the pics.
    That looks awesome. So much better than before. Thanks to everybody that helped out

mtbr member
    Do these trails have to follow the 5% rule imposed by the forest service like they did over in Forest City?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uncreative View Post
    there should be a 'Wd40 to rear rotor application station' at the top of the trail - mandatory for any dh or 'all mountain' bikes.
    ???
    Rollin' rocks will never die...

weekend worrier
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    Do these trails have to follow the 5% rule imposed by the forest service like they did over in Forest City?
    Auburn State Recreation Area is administered by State Parks, not the USFS. I believe that State Parks manages the land pursuant to a contract with the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. The land was originally acquired by the federal government for the potential construction of the Auburn Dam.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    What is the 5% rule? (pardon my ignorance!)

Auburn Bike Works
    A big shout out to everyone who came out and helped this weekend!!! This was such an awesome accomplishment in only 2 days!! I want to personally thank Steve, John and Zachi for their dedication and expertise on this project. It is really great that we were able to get the group of people together that we did and sustain the project momentum. I can't wait for the next phase, to here more great input from everyone.

Mike ABW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    What is the 5% rule? (pardon my ignorance!)
    I believe they are referring to the no-steeper-than-5%-grade rule.

Zach Attack
    Trail Standards adopted by different agencies identify an average grade to build to. The USFS in our area uses 5% for this magic number. Although we initially thought we would be limited, it almost doubles the down hill runs on our trails without loss of the needed gravity to inspire speed.

It has trained us to be way more smart about avoiding designs that kill speed for no reason. The culvert trail has no limits and has grades that are up to 30%. Our goal is to compensate heavy grade by designing features that spend this capital like berms and jumps. The biggest issue with grade and fast speeds is the need to increase erosion measures while not interrupting flow. Non intuitive design causes braking bumps.

This is the most challenging trail I have ever worked on. God help us get it right!

z

mtb'er
    Related, but OT... saw this on FB and had to share

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Thank you all for your work!

mtbr member

Whoa...

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Related, but OT... saw this on FB and had to share

Oh that had to hurt... And, not quite sure how it happened there. Doesn't look like much of an obstacle to cause an endo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ive never been biking up at auburn. im probably going to make a trip there soon. any specific trails that are great for an intermediate/advanced rider?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    This trail (Culvert) connects to the Confluence trail which are both fun. There are a few options, but you can't go wrong with climbing Clementine- to Connector (across the the street) to Forest Hill Divide Loop ( counter clock wise ) back to Connector to Fuel Break (which gets you to the Culvert Trail. It's a good mix of flowy, scenic single track and finish with a more technical down hill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    sounds very intriguing. definitely going to try to make a trip asap! thanks for route option.

mtbr member
    Zachi and the rest of the crew have also done a great job in Forest City (between Nevada City and Downieville) and surrounding communities. If you haven't checked out the flowy bike friendly singletrack there you are really missing out! Well worth riding, volunteering, joining and donating!!!

Click here:
    Forest Trails Alliance

Dropshot Champ!
    thanks for your hard work!

I got to ride it today and it was very slow, probably due to the ruts/mud, but looks like a lot of work went into it!

Is there any way you can fix that section of failed berms on FDLT that fatrac put in a few years ago? I'd donate some money if you could fix that horrible section.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Is there any way you can fix that section of failed berms on FDLT that fatrac put in a few years ago? I'd donate some money if you could fix that horrible section.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Good job! Some footage so far

Was up in Auburn Sat and Sunday riding and was very impressed with the massive amount of work the voulentters have done. They have definitely held true to keeping the trail fun and fast. I have some chest mount GoPro footage of some of the riding we did, with a glimpse of the fantastic work. Keep it up guys!
    Footage here: Moar Gnar in Auburn - YouTube
    Last edited by Brown Pow!; 02-15-2012 at 12:22 AM.

mtb'er
    ^^ @ 1:00 and 2:37
    Looks sweet

Zach Attack
    thanks for your hard work!

I got to ride it today and it was very slow, probably due to the ruts/mud, but looks like a lot of work went into it!

If it is the same section I am thinking of it is way over grade (30%) with the berms on either side??. I love the area and trails and think this could be the beginning of some cool efforts to dial in the trails including this spot. Convincing the state parks that we have an competent effective working group that can build and design effective trail is our first goal to open more possibilities. While I love to build in the sierras with the SBTS bros, winter makes this area the sweet retreat!

Our goal is to fatten the Culvert with some sweet flow that resolves serious erosion and other issues. We want to build not only killer trail but a strong group of skilled advocates. Make sure you join the project group ' asra-culvert-trail-improvement-project@googlegroups.com ' and come out and join the effort.

Build it, Ride it

z

mtbr member
    looks great guys! happy to donate for the cause

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

This Weekend?

Anything happening over there this weekend?

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Oblivion View Post
    Anything happening over there this weekend?
    Hi Mr. Oblivion,

I got the following from the head of the trail improvement project:

From: asra-culvert-trail-improvement-project@googlegroups.com [mailto:asra-culvert-trail-improvement-project@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Steve Minniear
    Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 9:34 AM
    To: asra-culvert-trail-improvement-project@googlegroups.com
    Subject: Re: Culvert trail maintenance - Sunday afternoon 2 - 4 p.m.

2.00 p.m. - 4.00 / 4.30

Once I get a feel for who can attend, I'll shoot out further logistics.

Tx.

You can go to that Google Group and sign up to receive notifications of work days.

Take Care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    I rode Culvert today.

All I can say is......

Oh Hell Ya!!!!!

I hammered into that first new berm as fast as I could. The bike just stuck like glue.
    So much fun. Thank you to everybody involved

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What was that piece of equipment called? The one that the man stood behind o operate it. thanks

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by shifterpilot2001 View Post
    What was that piece of equipment called? The one that the man stood behind o operate it. thanks
    It's a mini-skid steer, mini-loader or something like that depends on who you ask and each manufacturer will have their own name as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anyone know if the jumps are still there? Or if they have been altered? I'd rather have berms than jumps but just curious.

Thank you all who dug.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr View Post
    Anyone know if the jumps are still there? Or if they have been altered? I'd rather have berms than jumps but just curious.

Thank you all who dug.
    Jumps near the beginning are still there.
    I don't recall any jumps at all in the section that was worked on. Just a rocky, rutted straight line.

My friends and I stopped and talked with a ranger at the confluence yesterday. The rangers caught a group of mtn bikers already modifying and widening the new work

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Those darn uphillers

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Hi Folks,

Here is the latest from the Project Lead:

-----Original Message-----
    From: asra-culvert-trail-improvement-project@googlegroups.com [mailto:asra-culvert-trail-improvement-project@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Steve Minniear
    Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:03 PM
    To: ASRA Culvert Trail Improvement Project
    Subject: Culvert minor trail maintenance / repair 2.19.2012

Folks,

First, a big thanks to Steve, Zachi, Blair, Jeff and Dean (I hope I have the name right) for coming out and helping work some sections of the upper Culvert that were ridden right after the rain.

In a couple of hours, we were able to touch up the entire trail that was built last weekend. So, good stuff!

The trail is riding well and FAST. It has compacted with the heavy use and there are no muddy or wet spots until you clear the Culvert.
    Then, as usual, you will probably get wet.

That area will get worked on the next trail work day in March. Stay tuned for details.

Steve

I rode it today for the first time and the work is a major improvement to what was there before. Also no water or mud below the Culvert other than a tiny spot just as you exit the pipe.

Thanks to All for the Wonderful Job!

Michael

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Shifterpilot,
    That is a DitchWitch SK650. It is a beast. (diesel powered, more mass, longer tracks)
    FTA also uses a DitchWitch SK350 which is gas powered and does great at finesse and lighter tasks.

Thanks,
    Blair

Dropshot Champ!
    Jumps near the beginning are still there.
    I don't recall any jumps at all in the section that was worked on. Just a rocky, rutted straight line.

My friends and I stopped and talked with a ranger at the confluence yesterday. The rangers caught a group of mtn bikers already modifying and widening the new work
    one needs it, others agree. Flow sticks must have missed this one turn, because it's like...whoa, flowkilla

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    one needs it, others agree. Flow sticks must have missed this one turn, because it's like...whoa, flowkilla
    You know more than you're letting on. just make sure its done before Sunday

Dropshot Champ!
    haha, nonono, I'm too fat to lift a shovel. It was just pointed out during the last time down it (4th time) and others agreed in this one turn.

Don't let this take away from the awesomeness. It's fun. The tabletops make me feel like a boss while still being a hack.

mtbr member
    Think I found that turn as well.
    Came into it pretty fast, but not crazy fast, and had to really lay on the brakes to get around it without going over the top of the berm.

mtbr member
    It's not at all uncommon to need to modify some work after riding it, relaxing switchbacks and berms, eg. It's to be expected. Hopefully folks know what they've doing and I'm sure FTA would be glad to provide advice and feedback.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
    It's not at all uncommon to need to modify some work after riding it, relaxing switchbacks and berms, eg. It's to be expected. Hopefully folks know what they've doing and I'm sure FTA would be glad to provide advice and feedback.
    Hi Mr. redhawk,

While I agree with your sentiment it's very important that folks not modify this trail in any way, shape or form. I'm copying a post below from the Project Lead that educates all of us as to why this is critical. I did take the liberty of highlighting one of his sentences.

Thanks, in advance, for your time and attention to this request!

Take care,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by sminniear View Post
    First thanks to those that came out today to help with minor work needed following the rain we got on Monday. Much appreciated!

Overall, the trail bed is getting both burned in and compacted in the new section we worked last weekend. There is no mud or standing water until you exit the Culvert in the usual places. We will address the drainage there during our next weekend of mechanized trail work.

For those that are not familiar with this project, this is a collaborative effort between the Auburn State Recreational Area, FATRAC, REI, FTA and several local bike shops. The project is encompassed in two phases.

Phase 1 - Winter / Spring 2012
    - improve drainage
    - reduce erosion
    - create a fun and engaging experience
    - work within the current trail bed

Phase 2 - Fall / Spring 2012-2013
    - re-align trail in a few key areas where sustainability is an issue today
    - eliminate unnecessary risk on trail exit at Old Foresthill road (blind exit)
    - create S turns near trail entrance to extend trail (tie into existing work)

We are well into Phase I of the project. Phase 2 is subject to approvals within ASRA and this process is expected to take 6-12 months. In the meantime, improvements have and will continue to be made to the existing trail bed during 2012.

NOTE: Please DO NOT modify existing work or do any work on this trail unless it is part of an organized trail work day and within the scope of the project. We currently have the support of State Parks and it is critical we maintain it. Hundreds of hours have gone into this effort so far as well as thousands of dollars so we don't want to see this jeopardized.

If you would like to receive regular updates, I provide those through the following Google Group:

ASRA Culvert Trail Improvement Project | Google Groups

Cheers

Steve Minniear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead View Post
    While I agree with your sentiment it's very important that folks not modify this trail in any way, shape or form.
    Unfortunately, that has already started happening, as per my conversation with a ranger last weekend. For the last few years, mtn bikers have had free reign with modifying Culvert and Confluence however they want. That is not a habit that is going to die easy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    rode it today for the first time- awesome work! i thought it had good flow, didn't need to pedal or hit my brakes anywhere on the swoopy bermy section.

i say leave it as-is and direct any energy on continuing this style of build all they way down to the road.
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride

mtbr member
    haha, nonono, I'm too fat to lift a shovel. It was just pointed out during the last time down it (4th time) and others agreed in this one turn.

Don't let this take away from the awesomeness. It's fun. The tabletops make me feel like a boss while still being a hack.

When you openly admit to not doing trail work; you might want to think twice about calling the Breakouts douc$he's. Pound for pound the breakouts have done more for the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship than any other team in the Sacramento area. And chances are if you are riding a trail in the Folsom area it was built by a Breakout.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon
    Since about half of the posts on here are about intangibles or hypotheticals, let's hear it!

Urban Ninja
    All I have is to say thumbs waaaaay up!

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetosphere View Post
    When you openly admit to not doing trail work; you might want to think twice about calling the Breakouts douc$he's. Pound for pound the breakouts have done more for the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship than any other team in the Sacramento area. And chances are if you are riding a trail in the Folsom area it was built by a Breakout.
    just did some trail work last week! not with a shovel tho. way too fat for shovels!

That's cool to hear breakouts giving back. I think I saw a picture of them helping to shape that new berm in granite bay, near the end of the typical tbf loop. Looks great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wow that trail looks awesome! Good work guys.

Proud lame eBiker
    From what I understand, at this point in time you come into that section with a lot more speed then what you will have once Phase II gets 'on the ground'. Phase II, from what I've read, is going to be tighter and you'll enter Phase I with a lower speed. So you most likely will not be carrying the speed into the corner that others are having to haul on the brakes to keep from going over the top.

Here's to hoping the trail moles leave it alone as much as possible.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    From what I understand, at this point in time you come into that section with a lot more speed then what you will have once Phase II gets 'on the ground'. Phase II, from what I've read, is going to be tighter and you'll enter Phase I with a lower speed. So you most likely will not be carrying the speed into the corner that others are having to haul on the brakes to keep from going over the top.

Here's to hoping the trail moles leave it alone as much as possible.
    If that's true, then it makes a lot of sense how it is set up now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Rocks Please

Is there any way to incorporate rocks into Phase II? What I miss from the previous incarnation of Culvert are the rocky sections. As nice as the new work is, it rides somewhat like pavement.

I appreciate everyone's contribution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr View Post
    Those darn uphillers
    I ride it up but wouldn't think of modifying it, just plain wrong. All the effort that has gone into this is commendable. I didn't think the trail needed to be altered, But if I wasn’t able to help or contribute in anyway….just ride it or shut up…

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, that has already started happening, as per my conversation with a ranger last weekend. For the last few years, mtn bikers have had free reign with modifying Culvert and Confluence however they want. That is not a habit that is going to die easy
    No unfortunately not. But I would hope they can see a professional design vs a hack job and not muck it up for those that have put in a tremendous amount of work to get to this point an beyond. If people want jumps put them in to avoid them from wanting to alter the course to add their own?? Maybe post some signs in the areas where some altering is occurring? That way if they are decent people w/ some morals they’ll think twice before doing so. Others may not know that this whole plan of action is in place…

Either way great trail work!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    IMPORTANT - Please read this thread regarding the Culvert re-route:

Culvert Re-Route - Please Avoid

Dropshot Champ!
    is more work planned?

this is from just below the oak tree, looking west on fuel break, right before the start of culvert:

2 dozers and a water truck had it about 2+ freeway lanes wide by the afternoon. Some of the jumps are gone. Is this going to be another berm section? One hiker I met today said it looked like a war zone, he was pissed. I'm hoping for more new stuff!

Sweater
    is more work planned?

this is from just below the oak tree, looking west on fuel break, right before the start of culvert:

2 dozers and a water truck had it about 2+ freeway lanes wide by the afternoon. Some of the jumps are gone. Is this going to be another berm section? One hiker I met today said it looked like a war zone, he was pissed. I'm hoping for more new stuff!
    If that's on fuel break then it's standard fire road maintenance. Getting rid of the erosion over the winter and clearing the natural growth encroachment.

Proud lame eBiker
    I'd venture a guess that it's just their somewhat regular bulldozing of the fire roads so that if in fact those roads need to be used to get big trucks closer to the fire.

They do it every few years.

is more work planned?

www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Dropshot Champ!
    got it, thanks!

...someone should go build berms tho.

Zach Attack
    That unit is not as pretty as our new sk650. But I could make it work. Are the keys in it?

z

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Fuel break dozer work

I'd like to add that the Dozer work you see in the picture and the "2 freeway lanes" is work done by the state of Ca. I'd like to add that Forest Trails Alliance is not responsible for that type of mastication. From what I understand the dozer is in high demand and budgets are slashed so when it does come through they clear with a multiple year cycle interval.

Thanks,

Blair

weekend worrier
    Any idea as to who took down the creek gap jump on the Confluence Trail a few weeks ago and whether there are plans to replace it with a State Parks sanctioned jump?

mtbr member
    A state parks sanctioned gap jump? That's funny right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weekend worrier
    A state parks sanctioned gap jump? That's funny right there.
    There already are several small ones on the Culvert Trail that were either allowed to remain or were constructed as part of the recent work that FTA, FATRAC, and I believe REI did with State Parks' blessing. They aren't 15-footers like the dear departed creek gap on the Confluence Trail, but they are gap jumps that presumably have State Parks' approval.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Anyone know if they've dozed Fuel Break all the way down to the bridge? Was planning to ride up Fuel from the bridge tonight but might need to mod that route if it was freshly dozed. Thanks...

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker549 View Post
    Anyone know if they've dozed Fuel Break all the way down to the bridge? Was planning to ride up Fuel from the bridge tonight but might need to mod that route if it was freshly dozed. Thanks...
    Yeah I rode Fuel Breakyesterday as part of a big route. Crossed the FH Bridge, and rode up Fuel to the Culvert trail and came down Culvert. It is indeed entirely dozed...it's a little soft and dusty from the fresh dozing, but totally ridable: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | I sure hope the weather is this nice for the Tahoe-Sierra 100 near Auburn | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Email I received explains what is going on with that area: (edited/removed image)

There is not any easy way to explain what many of us have recently witnessed on the Fuel Break Trail.

Yes, this is the Culvert Trailhead.
    No, this work is not related to the Culvert Project we have been working so hard on.
    Yes, this work WAS done by State Parks.
    No, the beautiful Manzanita grove was not vaporized by a high powered laser from outer space.

My best explanation is that there was a miscommunication and misunderstanding of fire break grooming standards.
    A heavy equipment operator was brought in from outside the Auburn Sector to complete grooming work on the Fuel Break Trail.
    Essentially, what CALFIRE refers to as a “shaded fuel break” has been cut along the periphery of the Fuel Break Trail.
    The good news is that I was able to stop the work before it continued beyond the big oak tree.
    I talked with the operator who IS very skilled and has done an excellent job on our other roads like Ruck-A-Chucky and Ponderosa Way.
    Unfortunately, he was faced with completing a week long job in two days time. He was unaware of the Culvert Project.
    The West section of the trail was deeply entrenched with deep ruts and tall berms that were left by a fire crew dozer.
    Unfortunately fire crews do not build roads or trails, they build fire breaks; generally with little or no regard for drainage or erosion concerns.
    They simply doze down to the bed rock or mineral soil, leaving huge berms at the sides.
    Because the last “grooming” of this “fire break” was done years ago, mature Manzanita’s had grown out of these berms which had to be removed.
    The explanation I have been given is that the material had to be exposed in order to “repair” it to a true engineered trail with appropriate drainage features.
    Yes, the work became arguably a little overzealous, and I was as shocked as anyone seeing the results the first time.
    To keep things on the positive side as much as possible, the Fuel Break Trail should be in solid shape for years, once the compaction and grooming is completed.

On another positive note, the paper work for CEQA compliance is all but 100% completed for the 5 reroutes on the Culvert Project Phase II.
    I’d like to be able to better share the Phase II Plan, but the document size is too large for the Google group data limits.
    I am excited at the prospect of hitting the ground running this fall, at the first sign of moisture.
    When I have received the final go ahead, there is also the prospect of starting work (earlier) on a small bridge (technically a puncheon) near the bottom section (#4).

Ranger Jon Brandt

Sucks what they did to that part of the trail

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Jon,

Thank you for the information regarding the bulldozer and for looking out for all us who enjoy this great trail.

David

Members who have read this thread: 2