Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How to build a Culvert Trail berm just right!

13K views 85 replies 44 participants last post by  DJ Lieb 
#1 ·
#37 ·
This trail (Culvert) connects to the Confluence trail which are both fun. There are a few options, but you can't go wrong with climbing Clementine- to Connector (across the the street) to Forest Hill Divide Loop ( counter clock wise ) back to Connector to Fuel Break (which gets you to the Culvert Trail. It's a good mix of flowy, scenic single track and finish with a more technical down hill.

#40 ·
thanks for your hard work!

I got to ride it today and it was very slow, probably due to the ruts/mud, but looks like a lot of work went into it!

Is there any way you can fix that section of failed berms on FDLT that fatrac put in a few years ago? I'd donate some money if you could fix that horrible section.

#47 ·
Anything happening over there this weekend?
Hi Mr. Oblivion,

I got the following from the head of the trail improvement project:

From: asra-culvert-trail-improvement-project@googlegroups.com [mailto:asra-culvert-trail-improvement-project@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Steve Minniear
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 9:34 AM
To: asra-culvert-trail-improvement-project@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Culvert trail maintenance - Sunday afternoon 2 - 4 p.m.

2.00 p.m. - 4.00 / 4.30

Once I get a feel for who can attend, I'll shoot out further logistics.

Tx.

You can go to that Google Group and sign up to receive notifications of work days.

Take Care,

Michael:thumbsup:

#48 ·
I rode Culvert today.

All I can say is......

Oh Hell Ya!!!!!:thumbsup:

I hammered into that first new berm as fast as I could. The bike just stuck like glue.:eekster:
So much fun. Thank you to everybody involved:thumbsup:

#52 ·
Anyone know if the jumps are still there? Or if they have been altered? I'd rather have berms than jumps but just curious.

Thank you all who dug.
Jumps near the beginning are still there.
I don't recall any jumps at all in the section that was worked on. Just a rocky, rutted straight line.

My friends and I stopped and talked with a ranger at the confluence yesterday. The rangers caught a group of mtn bikers already modifying and widening the new work:madman:

#71 ·
I ride it up but wouldn't think of modifying it, just plain wrong. All the effort that has gone into this is commendable. I didn't think the trail needed to be altered, But if I wasn't able to help or contribute in anyway….just ride it or shut up… :)

#54 ·
Hi Folks,

Here is the latest from the Project Lead:

-----Original Message-----
From: asra-culvert-trail-improvement-project@googlegroups.com [mailto:asra-culvert-trail-improvement-project@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Steve Minniear
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:03 PM
To: ASRA Culvert Trail Improvement Project
Subject: Culvert minor trail maintenance / repair 2.19.2012

Folks,

First, a big thanks to Steve, Zachi, Blair, Jeff and Dean (I hope I have the name right) for coming out and helping work some sections of the upper Culvert that were ridden right after the rain.

In a couple of hours, we were able to touch up the entire trail that was built last weekend. So, good stuff!

The trail is riding well and FAST. It has compacted with the heavy use and there are no muddy or wet spots until you clear the Culvert.
Then, as usual, you will probably get wet.

That area will get worked on the next trail work day in March. Stay tuned for details.

Steve

I rode it today for the first time and the work is a major improvement to what was there before. Also no water or mud below the Culvert other than a tiny spot just as you exit the pipe.

Thanks to All for the Wonderful Job!

#64 ·
When you openly admit to not doing trail work; you might want to think twice about calling the Breakouts douc$he's. Pound for pound the breakouts have done more for the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship than any other team in the Sacramento area. And chances are if you are riding a trail in the Folsom area it was built by a Breakout.

#61 ·
Hi Mr. redhawk,

While I agree with your sentiment it's very important that folks not modify this trail in any way, shape or form. I'm copying a post below from the Project Lead that educates all of us as to why this is critical. I did take the liberty of highlighting one of his sentences.

Thanks, in advance, for your time and attention to this request!

Take care,

First thanks to those that came out today to help with minor work needed following the rain we got on Monday. Much appreciated!

Overall, the trail bed is getting both burned in and compacted in the new section we worked last weekend. There is no mud or standing water until you exit the Culvert in the usual places. We will address the drainage there during our next weekend of mechanized trail work.

For those that are not familiar with this project, this is a collaborative effort between the Auburn State Recreational Area, FATRAC, REI, FTA and several local bike shops. The project is encompassed in two phases.

Phase 1 - Winter / Spring 2012
- improve drainage
- reduce erosion
- create a fun and engaging experience
- work within the current trail bed

Phase 2 - Fall / Spring 2012-2013
- re-align trail in a few key areas where sustainability is an issue today
- eliminate unnecessary risk on trail exit at Old Foresthill road (blind exit)
- create S turns near trail entrance to extend trail (tie into existing work)

We are well into Phase I of the project. Phase 2 is subject to approvals within ASRA and this process is expected to take 6-12 months. In the meantime, improvements have and will continue to be made to the existing trail bed during 2012.

NOTE: Please DO NOT modify existing work or do any work on this trail unless it is part of an organized trail work day and within the scope of the project. We currently have the support of State Parks and it is critical we maintain it. Hundreds of hours have gone into this effort so far as well as thousands of dollars so we don't want to see this jeopardized.

If you would like to receive regular updates, I provide those through the following Google Group:

ASRA Culvert Trail Improvement Project | Google Groups

Cheers

Steve Minniear

#63 ·
rode it today for the first time- awesome work! i thought it had good flow, didn't need to pedal or hit my brakes anywhere on the swoopy bermy section.

i say leave it as-is and direct any energy on continuing this style of build all they way down to the road.

#68 ·
From what I understand, at this point in time you come into that section with a lot more speed then what you will have once Phase II gets 'on the ground'. Phase II, from what I've read, is going to be tighter and you'll enter Phase I with a lower speed. So you most likely will not be carrying the speed into the corner that others are having to haul on the brakes to keep from going over the top.

Here's to hoping the trail moles leave it alone as much as possible.

#69 ·
From what I understand, at this point in time you come into that section with a lot more speed then what you will have once Phase II gets 'on the ground'. Phase II, from what I've read, is going to be tighter and you'll enter Phase I with a lower speed. So you most likely will not be carrying the speed into the corner that others are having to haul on the brakes to keep from going over the top.

Here's to hoping the trail moles leave it alone as much as possible.
If that's true, then it makes a lot of sense how it is set up now.

#74 ·
is more work planned?

this is from just below the oak tree, looking west on fuel break, right before the start of culvert:

2 dozers and a water truck had it about 2+ freeway lanes wide by the afternoon. Some of the jumps are gone. Is this going to be another berm section? One hiker I met today said it looked like a war zone, he was pissed. I'm hoping for more new stuff!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.