Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How to build a Culvert Trail berm just right!

13K views 85 replies 44 participants last post by  DJ Lieb 
#1 ·
#17 ·
I am still a mile high after this weekend. In the 20 years I have been pursuing trail building the combination of a killer alignment to work with and the great people that came out made this my favorite trail building experience EVER!!!

Our vision in creating a community based trail building organization came to maturity with this project. It has been our goal to connect to and empower organizations like ASRA and FATRAC with the equipment and skills to aid in producing tangible results. FTA is a Petr-dish of sorts for the mad bacterium of the twisted single track mind. It is our goal to continue to grow this organization with both the blood of the possessed and the steel of the machines that will shape our tomorrows inspirations.

If you believe in what is possible, consider shaving a sliver of the value of your suspended mount and invest it in FTA. No Paid Staff. All $ goes to dirt. 8 projects underway this year bringing 13 miles of new single track your way (if we can raise the money for the NEPA environmental costs). If $ is short, shed sweat instead and come and join one of our 10 day trail builds this spring!

Trail Love Auburn Culvert Trail V2 Brought to you by Forest Trails Alliance - YouTube

z:)

#11 ·
The Culvert Project is a collaborative effort that is currently supported through:

- FATRAC
- Forest Trails Alliance
- REI
- Auburn and some Sacramento area bike shops

A special call out for Auburn Bike Works in Auburn as their staff have been involved from this project's inception and they have recruited many of their riders to work on this project.

This project will take place over the course of the next 12-18 months. If you would like to stay on top of what is happening, I'd recommend you join the following Google Group:

ASRA Culvert Trail Improvement Project | Google Groups

I post updates there on a regular basis.

#23 ·
The FLOWSTICKtm is a fantastic tool we utilize, one of many secrets...

I can howl like a coyote, that is the closest skill to doing environmental work I possess. Each land manager and project is unique, the USFS uses their own in-house team which is much cheaper.

But this is just the tip of the iceberg with the spice available when you create an organization filled with obsessive trail lovers like me that is all about creativity, empowerment and flowy trail. It is our goal to have FTA be the sharpened tip of the spear that regional mountain biker groups (acting as the shaft and power) can utilize for projects. Please consider helping us shape this idea and vision into an effective tool for our area. It is through education of the bigger picture that we can create team approaches to projects like this and open doors of opportunity with land-managers.

Things that you can do to help;
• Help us raise money.... no money goes to payroll or staff, all volunteer… but we do need $$ for environmental fees, insurance and to invest in equipment (most of the equipment was on loan)
• Be a part of our crew… support the vision by wearing the colors and gear, our goal is to create a workforce image for public relations and convincing land managers to give us opportunities
• Help us market our vision…. Flyers, events, and especially need creative talent for our new website…
• Ride more…. And listen for opportunities to support the vision for sweeter trails

z

#19 ·
Steve,

Thanks so much for putting this together! This was the most productive trail work day I’ve been on and I can see how the new changes will get some “wee!” responses. I can’t wait to ride it myself.

I was also very impressed with the Forest Trails Alliance professionalism; from design, sustainable issues to conflict resolution - if someone needs a team working on trails - these are the guys. :thumbsup:

And special thanks to State Parks for being open to making this trail more than just a straight line through some rocks.

Pics for those who could not make it.

Delicious burm.... & FLOW sticks guide the replacement trail through the old straight :D

P

Attachments

#28 ·
Do these trails have to follow the 5% rule imposed by the forest service like they did over in Forest City?
Auburn State Recreation Area is administered by State Parks, not the USFS. I believe that State Parks manages the land pursuant to a contract with the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. The land was originally acquired by the federal government for the potential construction of the Auburn Dam.

#30 ·
A big shout out to everyone who came out and helped this weekend!!! This was such an awesome accomplishment in only 2 days!! I want to personally thank Steve, John and Zachi for their dedication and expertise on this project. It is really great that we were able to get the group of people together that we did and sustain the project momentum. I can't wait for the next phase, to here more great input from everyone.

Mike ABW

#32 ·
Trail Standards adopted by different agencies identify an average grade to build to. The USFS in our area uses 5% for this magic number. Although we initially thought we would be limited, it almost doubles the down hill runs on our trails without loss of the needed gravity to inspire speed.

It has trained us to be way more smart about avoiding designs that kill speed for no reason. The culvert trail has no limits and has grades that are up to 30%. Our goal is to compensate heavy grade by designing features that spend this capital like berms and jumps. The biggest issue with grade and fast speeds is the need to increase erosion measures while not interrupting flow. Non intuitive design causes braking bumps.

This is the most challenging trail I have ever worked on. God help us get it right!

z

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.