jms
    mtbr member

How about something like this in California

Aside from the distinct possibility of having your car or truck "keyed" in place like Marin, why not do something like this in California?

http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...for-idaho_5869

Seems like the kind of language the state understands best - "money".

And as a special added bonus, it'll probably p/o the Sierra Club.......I can just see my Westy being pelted with Rockports, thrown from a speeding Prius' now.
    Last edited by jms; 02-01-2010 at 12:52 PM.

More pie please

Great looking license plate:

I like it....but...

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_14121666

Environmental license plates stuck in neutral; bad economy and small logos suspected

By Paul Rogers

progers@mercurynews.com
    Posted: 01/04/2010 06:00:38 PM PST
    Updated: 01/05/2010 09:29:01 AM PST

Maybe it's the bad economy, or the dinky designs. But two state campaigns aimed at
    raising money to expand parks, restore creeks and build hiking trails in the Bay Area and
    the Sierra Nevada through the sale of new specialized license plates are failing to gain
    traction with motorists.

Under state law, sponsors of commemorative license plates must sign up 7,500 prepaid
    orders in one year or the DMV won't produce the plates. The plates cost $50 a year.

But a proposed plate that would feature a small image of the Golden Gate Bridge and
    whose proceeds would help Bay Area open space projects has sold only 455 copies, and
    faces a deadline of mid-July.

A second proposed plate, which features a bear and a mountain, would fund projects of the
    Sierra Nevada Conservancy, a state agency. It has sold only 256 copies, and faces a
    September deadline.

"We might have gotten a little bump from the holidays, but it has been really difficult,"
    said Bob Kingman, a manager with the Sierra Nevada Conservancy who is overseeing its
    license plate campaign.

"You'd think getting 7,500 people to buy one would be easy. There are 28 million
    registered vehicles in California," he said. "But it's not."

Most states have specialized license plates that help pay for things from universities to
    parks. In the past decade, the 10 main specialized plates in California have together
    raised about $25 million to $30 million a year. The whale tail plate, for example, helps
    fund beach cleanups and other programs run by the California Coastal Commission. Other
    plates fund state arts programs, veterans programs, Yosemite National Park projects and
    restoration around Lake Tahoe.

But with the bad economy, sales are crashing fast.

In 2008, California motorists purchased 82,230 specialized plates, a drop of 20 percent
    from the year before. And although the numbers aren't yet totaled for 2009, they show a
    continuing plunge, to 58,246 through Dec. 1.

"The economy and gas prices and the overall cost of operating your vehicle is higher than
    it has been in the past," said Jan Mendoza, a spokeswoman for the California Department
    of Motor Vehicles. "For a lot of people these days, specialized plates are a luxury."

The plates are not a luxury for many state agencies that work to preserve California's
    parks, beaches and lakes. They have emerged as a key source of funding, insulated from
    the year-to-year vagaries of the Legislature.

Now, not only are existing projects in Yosemite, Lake Tahoe and the coast in jeopardy as
    the public chooses not to renew the specialty plates, but efforts to carve out new revenue
    streams aren't getting off the ground.

The Golden Gate plate, for example, is sponsored by the California Coastal Conservancy,
    a state agency based in Oakland that builds trails, bathrooms and parking lots at
    beaches along the coast to provide public access. The idea was to raise as much as $1
    million a year with a specialty plate, said Amy Hutzel, a program manager for the agency,
    but now, unless more orders come in, it may pull the plug on the effort.

"We have to get 1,000 a month now," she said. "We're going to see how it goes over the
    next couple of months and see whether to continue it to July. If somebody wants to see
    this happen, they need to sign up now."

Further complicating efforts is a new state law, signed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in
    2006, that limits the size of the art work on the plates. Prompted by concerns from the
    California Highway Patrol that officers were having a hard time reading the license plate
    numbers, the law required that any logo be no larger than two inches by three inches —
    about the size of a business card.

"Some people are upset. They say why don't you have a bigger design on the plate?" said
    Kingman. "They see the other plates out there and say, 'Why didn't you get a bigger
    image like the Tahoe plate or the whale tail plate?' I tell them we would love to have a big
    plate, but we have to stick to current law."

Since state agencies can't use public money to market the plates, they need donations
    from private groups and corporations. Those funds also have been slow to come in this
    economy. Many motorists haven't even heard of the new plates.

On Monday, several motorists in San Jose summed up the problem when shown the
    designs of the pending plates.

"You can barely see it. It's like what's the point? You are paying $50 for something that's
    pretty hard to see," said Brandon Clarke of Los Gatos, looking at a life-size photo of the
    proposed Golden Gate plate.

Added Rob Tedrick of Santa Cruz: "When you see the whale tail, you know what it is.
    Anyway, the economy is too tough. It costs so much to register my truck already."

Contact Paul Rogers at 408-920-5045.

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Go to http://bayarealicenseplate.org or www.sierralicenseplate.org

Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Aside from the distinct possibility of having your car or truck "keyed" in place like Marin, why not do something like this in California?

http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...for-idaho_5869

Seems like the kind of language the state understands best - "money".

And as a special added bonus, it'll probably p/o the Sierra Club.......I can just see my Westy being pelted with Rockports, thrown from speeding Prius' now.

Not this prius!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by normonster; 02-01-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: forgot picture

swag ho Administrator
    I think I need to go to Ida hoe this year. If they're this proud of their mountain biking, it's my duty to check it out.

fc
    IPA will save America

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I think I need to go to Ida hoe this year. If they're this proud of their mountain biking, it's my duty to check it out.

fc
    I was in Mountain Home this year for business and if it hadn't been over 100 degress both days while I was there, I was going to check out the Boise National Forest. I got the map and everything. There's 4x4 stuff there too!

I did some 4x4 on the eastern side of Idaho between the west entrance to Yellowstone and Ashton, ID. Super fun!

20090825 Wyoming and Idaho 037
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Groveland Trail Heads

I was in Mountain Home!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    I was in Mountain Home this year for business and if it hadn't been over 100 degress both days while I was there, I was going to check out the Boise National Forest. I got the map and everything. There's 4x4 stuff there too!

I did some 4x4 on the eastern side of Idaho between the west entrance to Yellowstone and Ashton, ID. Super fun!

20090825 Wyoming and Idaho 037
    but it was in the 80's... I was a traveling salesman selling film(photos)club memberships

Francois, let's go to ida hoe... I would love to ride there
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

jms
    mtbr member

Sun Valley

fc
    The Ketchum/Sun Valley area has some of the best singletrack riding to be found anywhere.

mtbr member

fc
    Have fun in Idaho. I'm planning a trip to Whistler this year.....I may not come back.
    Santa Cruz Bronson - Santa Cruz Highball - Ibis Mojo HD3 on order!

Sweat is just fat crying.

fc
    Count me in!
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    here they'd probably propose a 'get bikes off my trails' plate....

but i do like that idea.