Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Bonking ... not feelin' well Horse dies during Tevis Cup

No mountain bikers to blame.

Now its time to Take A Break: Toth, Quake win 100-mile Tevis Cup | Auburn Journal

Seems to happen every year, yet...

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Very sad. Horses that reach this level of competition are amazing animals. Having completed the Tevis twice, I fully understand the love and care these horses get from their owners. The rider must be devastated.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Extremely sad. But it's not an "accident" if it happens most years...

I grew up in Kentucky, but I stopped watching the Derby when they started putting down horses on a regular basis. Plus, they abuse them and then dump them when they don't win money, just like greyhounds.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 07-25-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    Very sad. Horses that reach this level of competition are amazing animals. Having completed the Tevis twice I fully understand the love and care these horses get from their owners. The rider must be devastated.

A very classy post. Well said Robert.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    It sure is funny seeing these equestrians wearing spandex shorts and mountain bike helmets. How ironic.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    It sure is funny seeing these equestrians wearing spandex shorts and mountain bike helmets. How ironic.
    Horsey folks were wearing spandy and cute little helmets long before mt bikes were invented.

mtbr member
    Horsey folks were wearing spandy and cute little helmets long before mt bikes were invented.

That sure looks like dockers and a horse helmet to me.

mtbr member

Horse dies during Tevis Cup

Article had been taken down. Anybody have it archived?
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That's nothing, Gandalf and Pippin rode Shadowfax for 3 days to Minas Tirith non stop.

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Article had been taken down. Anybody have it archived?
    My wife read me the report as we were driving up to Tahoe Saturday night. At Cougar Rock a horse slipped and fell, badly injuring it's neck. The rider was ejected but was not injured. The vet showed up and made the call that the animals injury was too severe and put it down.

I know that rock section....I can't imagine how the other riders felt having to go by seeing a horse in serious pain, and seeing the riders grief, and still having to tackle that rock and get on with the day. Ugh.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Paper or plastic?
    17 hours of riding gotta be painful toward the end.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    17 hours of riding gotta be painful toward the end.
    It is,, especially at my times of 21:35 and 20:15. Ya get kinda delirious.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    My wife read me the report as we were driving up to Tahoe Saturday night. At Cougar Rock a horse slipped and fell, badly injuring it's neck. The rider was ejected but was not injured. The vet showed up and made the call that the animals injury was too severe and put it down.
    So what actually happened is the horse stalled,, as if to let the rider dismount. And then it "passed out" and fell. The rider was saved by the horses actions.
    The vets (plural) tried for 3 hours to save the horse before calling it. In the end is was described as a rare neurological condition that the horse had as horses typically don't pass out.
    And Cougar Rock is early in the race where heat is not a factor.

It's about showing up.
    My condolences to the owner of the horse. What a horrible loss.

Just as with mountain bikers, equestrians are a greater danger to themselves than to any other trail user they encounter.
    I don't rattle.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Interesting the void of mention an the Tevis page, or almost anywhere else.

The little I could dig up. I'll have to ask my friends who were crewing at the race for several riders.
    "Extra time at cutoff points were extended due to the heat. 68 horses pulled by vets for metabolic stands to reasons.
    one freak accident at Cougar rock.. horse had a rare neurological condition unknown to the rider causing it to seize and fall."

Let's ride SuperModerator
    That's a long time, especially out in the heat and sun.

More Torque
    So what actually happened is the horse stalled,, as if to let the rider dismount. And then it "passed out" and fell....In the end is was described as a rare neurological condition that the horse had as horses typically don't pass out.

Sounds similar to these goats. Shame about the horse having to be killed.

-D

too late to die young now
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    That's nothing, Gandalf and Pippin rode Shadowfax for 3 days to Minas Tirith non stop.
    yep - Shadowfax ("Sceadufæx" in Rohirric) was the Lord of all horses.
    he was a descendant of Felaróf, of the race of the Mearas, the greatest horses of Middle-earth.

Bonus - Shadowfax never hated on any MTB'rs (to my knowledge)
    \sigma_T\sigma_x \geq \tfrac{\hbar}{2m} \left|\left\langle p_x\right\rangle\right|.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Felton_Flyer View Post
    Bonus - Shadowfax never hated on any MTB'rs (to my knowledge)
    You never know. By some accounts we are scarier than a screaming nazgul.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Are horses generally slower than a mountain biker over a long distance trail?

mtb'er
    Never good to hear of an athlete, whether it be man or animal, dying on the field of play

Here's the account from the rider:

"I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences. I would also like to thank everyone involved in the rescue attempt of my beloved horse Reb. A special thanks to veterinarian Dr. Jamie Kerr for his guidance through this terrible tragedy.

For those of you who did not know Reb, he was an amazing athlete that excelled at 100 mile rides. Until the Tevis Cup he had a 100% completion rate on 100s. His 100 mile accomplishments included winning the Virginia City 100 in 2012 and receiving his FEI 3* COC at Twenty Mule Team 2013 in 10 hours and 13 minutes. He also had several firsts and Best Conditions. He had almost 1,800 career miles and five 100 mile completions.

Our Tevis journey started off great. He was truly enjoying himself as he eagerly moved down the trail that morning. While going up Cougar Rock he stopped and out of fear of him turning around and attempting to go back down I decided to do an emergency dismount. In the process his saddle slipped so once we reached the top I stopped him to pull his saddle into a safer position until I could adjust it after we got off the rock. As soon as I stopped him his head went up and his neck stiffened. He then staggered two steps to the right and went off the edge. Dr. Jamie Kerr and Dr. Gary Magdesian later informed me that this is consistent with a condition called vasovagal syncope. This condition can cause your horse to faint. Without thinking I went over the edge after him. By the time we finally stopped sliding down the edge next to the bypass we had travelled several hundred feet through pine trees, rocks and drop-offs. Throughout the course of our fall he made sure to keep his body away from me so that I was not hurt. Once we reached a flat spot where we were no longer sliding I stayed right next to his head while we waited for help.

At first our fear was that he was paralyzed, but after further assessment he appeared to have controlled movement in all of his limbs. Once Large Animal Search and Rescue arrived on scene we were able to stabilize him while he stood up and we began our climb back up the hill. Shortly after he seemed to weaken and at that point it was decided that he had suffered a traumatic brain injury similar to a concussion. It was at this time that Dr. Kerr and I decided that euthanasia was in Reb’s best interest.

Reb was my best friend. I know that he saved my life on Saturday and I did my best to save his. I cannot express enough how much I love this horse. He brought out the best in me and I hope that I brought out the best in him. He will forever hold a very special place in my heart."
    Could pushing a horse in those temperatures contributed to this fainting diagnosis?

This FB thread shows the heartache rippling through the equestrian community, as well as the understanding that an accident is an accident. Where were all these sensible people when the equestrian was injured in a it-could-have-happened-anywhere-accident at the TS100 last year? (Sorry, I'm just irked that the vocal minority still uses that non-incident accident to limit mtb access ) https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...72254949465346

I'm surprised that helmets aren't required! Cougar Rock photos

There was a 47% completion rate, with 27 horses pulled due to metabolic problems and 28 withdrawn due to lameness issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Are horses generally slower than a mountain biker over a long distance trail?
    Horses are slower than runners over a long distance trail. For long distance running humans are among the best or the best in the animal kingdom. Running on two legs is more efficient when looking at calorie spend. Standing upright exposes less of the body to the sun, enhancing cooling. Adding a bike just increases the efficiency that much more.

I forget where I read about this. Main thesis of the article is that one way humans in afric used to take down game was by tiring them out. After chasing for hours the animal would just lie down and give up.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    This FB thread shows the heartache rippling through the equestrian community, as well as the understanding that an accident is an accident. Where were all these sensible people when the equestrian was injured in a it-could-have-happened-anywhere-accident at the TS100 last year? (Sorry, I'm just irked that the vocal minority still uses that non-incident accident to limit mtb access ) https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...72254949465346
    Is that place within the wilderness?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Very sad to hear about this, I can't imagine how devastating that must have been. Remember these animals are very much a part of a lot of these peoples families. If my dog went tumbling down a a cliff in front of my eyes it would effect me for the rest of my days.

I'm always amazed at the extremely low finish percentage, it's VERY rarely above 50%. I guess you can attribute that to the intensive Vet checks these animals must go through in order to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Is that place within the wilderness?
    No, And if the horsie community keeps messing with the TS 100 course we will be forced to go over that exact spot.
    Only the curious have something to find.

http://wanderlustandtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/

mtb'er
    Cougar Rock? Not in Wilderness. It's between Lyon Ridge and Red Star Ridge. So, as Zon wrote, heat wasn't likely a factor in the fainting.

This year's Tevis winner was 20 minutes faster than this year's WS100 winner, albeit slightly different courses and horses apparently have some mandatory rests. Tinker did last year's TS100 a little over 4 hours faster than both, on a considerably different course. If we ever get to do the whole WST, I'd guess the fastest times in all race formats would be fairly similar.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast