Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

hitch rack, car - safety concern?

Help me out folks,

Here's the short version. My wife got herself a bike, she's stoked on it, she wants to be able to carry the bike on her car.

A hitch rack is the best and most practical option for her. A hitch rack is by far her first choice. However, a friend of mine got me thinking about hitch racks and safety... the theory being that the tow hitch itself compromises the car's crumple zone. And, worse, that if the hitch is left on (and yes, I was picturing a 1 bike 1Up that she could just flip up when not in use) force from a rear end collision would that would normally be absorbed by the bumper and the crumple zone is passed directly to the car frame and occupants...

She drives a 2006 Audi A4 wagon. My buddy that had the same concern got an Invisihitch... but they aren't available for our car.

So what's the deal? Overblown concern? Real risk? I can't find much on this topic that actually looks factual, so I'm really not sure if this is just hype or a real concern.

I'm particularly curious about the tow hitch without a rack attached - easy enough to pull the rack off when not in use. I could see how that thing could reinforce the crumple zone to the extent that it changes the safety characteristics of the car...

Anybody know anything about this stuff?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Nope - I was rear-ended a while ago with a Kuat NV on. I got a new bike rack. Other guy wrote off a beautiful old Saab 900. Hitch racks mount with a square bar into a female receiver. There's a pin that holds it in place. Accident == pin shears off. Probably you bust up a bike mount and maybe rip the steel on the receiver where the pin sheared off. Worst case you need a new hitch mount.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i got hit with my Yakima rack on my hitch. the thing crumpled up fairly easy when the texting teen behind me rolled into me.

i feel that the thing will pretty much be out of the equation, with or without my bike really quickly once i get hit at any significant speed. it's crumples and the my car safety design takes over the next millisecond.

and congrats to the wife about her new bike!!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

That makes me smart
    Putting the bike inside the car won't work? It's a wagon, take the front tire off, lower the seat?
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    it's crumples and the my car safety design takes over the next millisecond.
    that's just it. not so much the rack itself, but does the hitch mount - whatever you call that big ol piece of steel that is bolted to the bottom of your car and to which your rack attaches - does that compromise your car's safety design (by reinforcing an area that's meant to crumple?)

Seems like it would, but maybe not enough to worry about. Or maybe so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Putting the bike inside the car won't work? It's a wagon, take the front tire off, lower the seat?
    The short answer is: no.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Interesting...

The crumple zone theory is the first I've ever heard of in my 20 years in the industry. There can situations where car gets more impact to the frame with a hitch rack when folded up (and maybe hit by a steel bumper). But really, the hitch rack really becomes part of the crumple zone in most cases. The smaller hitch (1.25) in particular will just collapse and protect.

The bigger concern is the bike is more exposed to rear end fender benders.

Get the hitch rack. Reallllly convenient for mounting, better gas mileage than roof racks and saves interior space.
    IPA will save America

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Bikes on hitch racks partially or fully block the taillights and block the license plate. This is illegal and has been mentioned on this forum before. Some city cops have given tickets, probably just fix-it citations but not sure. I don't think the CHP does though, at least never heard of it.

The big issue is if you get rear-ended you may be / probably are liable.

The North Shore Bike Racks racks from Canada are a good solution but a little more expensive. I see lots of them in Utah and Colorado but for some reason in CA they are rare. I'm buying one the next time I have an extra $400 - $500 or so. I think the prices on their site are CDN but they never respond to email or calls on this issue. We don't know if their Website recognizes that my IP address is in the States and posts prices in USD. I guess you just have to order one and see what they post to your credit card. Reminds me of the U.S. healthcare industry...
    MTB blog for intermediates: http://intermediatemtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Good project for a mechanical engineering paper!

I don't think there can be a universal answer, because there is so much variation in where and how a receiver mounts. For your concern to be valid the hitch pin (as nilswalk pointed out) AND the mount of the receiver to the frame would have to transfer all their energy to the passenger area.

More realistically in a high impact I'd expect the hitch/"frame" interface to partially transfer energy and then fail, and then the crumple zone would absorb as designed.

Remember for most cars the tongue weight for a hitch is pretty low.

You could argue it might make a difference for a truck that mounts a receiver to the actual frame. There's a guy that sells a spare bumper product for just that case. He also does a lot of promoting around this "danger" so be aware of that as well.

And let's not forget most cars now do not have what we think of as a frame!

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    nvm

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy View Post
    The short answer is: no.
    What's the long answer?

mtnbkrmike

fc
    stoked Administrator
    What's the long answer?
    Hellllllllllll nooooooooooo
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    Good project for a mechanical engineering paper!

I don't think there can be a universal answer, because there is so much variation in where and how a receiver mounts. For your concern to be valid the hitch pin (as nilswalk pointed out) AND the mount of the receiver to the frame would have to transfer all their energy to the passenger area.

More realistically in a high impact I'd expect the hitch/"frame" interface to partially transfer energy and then fail, and then the crumple zone would absorb as designed.

Remember for most cars the tongue weight for a hitch is pretty low.

You could argue it might make a difference for a truck that mounts a receiver to the actual frame. There's a guy that sells a spare bumper product for just that case. He also does a lot of promoting around this "danger" so be aware of that as well.

And let's not forget most cars now do not have what we think of as a frame!
    Brilliant
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I've got a few thoughts and they're in no particular order. So here we go:

-One thing you're leaving out is the car that hits you. Lets go with worst case scenario and your receiver (the part mounted on your car) stiffens things up a little bit - the car that hits you still has its own crumple zone that will absorb plenty of kinetic energy as well. There's some extreme cases such as if a Dodge 3500 with a brush guard slammed into you, but in that case your little receiver isn't going to make zilch of a difference anyways.

-That receiver is located way low on the car. It's most likely that whatever hits your back end will make contact above your receiver. In most cases, the impact area is simply the bumper itself or the rear door - or a combination of both. If the impact is your rear door, then your bike rack will simply be crushed between your rear door and the vehicle that hit you. If it's your bumper - again, it will just be crushed between the two. Either way, it won't be pretty for your bike rack, so make sure to have it added to your insurance.

-Your wifes car has a "unibody" style chassis, and your rear bumper is mounted on sliders that slide into this unibody. If your bumper is hit, there is some plastic behind the immediate shell of the bumper that is your first layer of "crumple zone". If the impact is so great that it goes beyond that zone, then those sliders for the rear bumper work very similarly to how your hitch mount slides into your receiver. There's special bolts that will shear off and allow the bumper to slide into those slides as a second stage of your impact zone. As it does this, your hitch should at that point also shear its pin and slide into the receiver. If the impact is so great that not even the second stage stops the impact, then your unibody will actually start deforming as it crumples and absorbs the impact. By now, your bike rack is most definitely toast, and your receiver is just starting to roll upwards with the unibody.

So. Long story short - no. The receiver will not hinder your cars ability to absorb impact. Just make sure you have the setup notated on your insurance.

mtbr member
    I've got a couple cars with hitch racks. I always take them off when I don't need it. It would seem like they would be kind of annoying if you need to get to the trunk or open the rear hatch. With a rack folded up...I'd have to lower it every time I need to open the back of the car.

mtbr member
    I do want to make one note - the above was written with the idea of the hitch rack folded up for everyday travel. If it is down and transporting the bike, your bikes are likely going to be totaled out. Depending on how sturdy the bike rack is, (I haven't seen that model in person) it SHOULD crumple. If it doesn't, then in that case yes it could cause premature crumpling of your unibody. You may want to contact the manufacturer for further clarification.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I got rear ended with my 1-up rack in the up position. No damage to my car or rack. The other guys bumper was messed up. His car crumpled so mine didn't have to. If it's a hard hit, the bike rack would just turn into a cumple zone.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've had hitch racks (Thule T2 and Sportworks predecessor) on the back of my Xterra then Outback for vast majority of last 17 years.

Never been hit, and frankly more concerned about it obstructing the brake lights (and license plate) when folded up than its damage mitigating/enhancing effect.

I do recall a thread from years ago where someone got massively more rear end damage from the rack getting crushed into their car at a slow speed than had the two bumpers made contact and did their low speed absorbing thing. If I get rear ended I'm going to assume the car behind will be the one responsible though (or my uninsured/comp coverage).

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Bikes on hitch racks partially or fully block the taillights and block the license plate. This is illegal and has been mentioned on this forum before.

The big issue is if you get rear-ended you may be / probably are liable.
    Nope and nope. Partially.

Legality, not the same in all jurisdictions.

Even if brake lights are not visible or not working, the person doing the rear ending is liable in most cases.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    They block the license plate about the same as a trailer would, so I don't buy that either. I also doubt the block tail lights enough to make a difference, but if you're concerned about it then you can mount a tail light on your bike rack pretty easily and plug it in to your trailer light plug.

IPA tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Jeremy View Post
    I've got a few thoughts and they're in no particular order. So here we go:

-One thing you're leaving out is the car that hits you. Lets go with worst case scenario and your receiver (the part mounted on your car) stiffens things up a little bit - the car that hits you still has its own crumple zone that will absorb plenty of kinetic energy as well. There's some extreme cases such as if a Dodge 3500 with a brush guard slammed into you, but in that case your little receiver isn't going to make zilch of a difference anyways.

-That receiver is located way low on the car. It's most likely that whatever hits your back end will make contact above your receiver. In most cases, the impact area is simply the bumper itself or the rear door - or a combination of both. If the impact is your rear door, then your bike rack will simply be crushed between your rear door and the vehicle that hit you. If it's your bumper - again, it will just be crushed between the two. Either way, it won't be pretty for your bike rack, so make sure to have it added to your insurance.

-Your wifes car has a "unibody" style chassis, and your rear bumper is mounted on sliders that slide into this unibody. If your bumper is hit, there is some plastic behind the immediate shell of the bumper that is your first layer of "crumple zone". If the impact is so great that it goes beyond that zone, then those sliders for the rear bumper work very similarly to how your hitch mount slides into your receiver. There's special bolts that will shear off and allow the bumper to slide into those slides as a second stage of your impact zone. As it does this, your hitch should at that point also shear its pin and slide into the receiver. If the impact is so great that not even the second stage stops the impact, then your unibody will actually start deforming as it crumples and absorbs the impact. By now, your bike rack is most definitely toast, and your receiver is just starting to roll upwards with the unibody.

So. Long story short - no. The receiver will not hinder your cars ability to absorb impact. Just make sure you have the setup notated on your insurance.

Not exactly correct. If she's driving the A4 Quattro wagon it has an impact bar behind the plastic bumper cover and two energy absorbers. The impact is made for impact and the absorbers do compress. The whole rear unibody construction is designed to crumble in a collision. Depending on where the hitch connects and how it's made will change that a bunch but only to take more of a hit. Other parts of the vehicle might be affected due to mounting points.
    I wouldn't worry about it at all and tell her to enjoy her new bike
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

Two Tired
    A bit of searching suggested that Audi had an OEM hitch (European style) but that it no longer available. If true, it suggests that your Audi is designed to handle a receiver hitch. It is not clear if this met US crash standards (no data).

I recommend the 1-Up hitch. It is light enough for your wife to put on or take off the car by herself and if folds up nicely to fit in the car if she wants to take it off but have it available. When off, it can't block the taillights or license plate. Any hitch rack will be much easier to access than a roof rack which can be too high for many people and won't smash into a garage door or low parking structure.

I wouldn't worry about a crash. As mentioned, serious hit will end up relying on the car's body design to protect the occupants. For a minor crash, replacing the rack is probably cheaper than body work on your car.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

Co Springs
    I think a safety concern related to a bike rack, hitch, (or both) and 'crumple zone' is going to a very specific case by case situation where only a few instances would reveal it as a valid safety issue or detriment.

IMO and generally speaking, I'd think the bike rack would help diffuse impact energy to the benefit of occupants or even rear damage to the vehicle but not negate the crumple zone entirely. Possibly just extend it.
    In cases where a focal point of that energy is a threat, the rack may help broaden the 'zone' and be a benefit.

Jeep fixed a safety recall years ago by adding an optional hitch system to the vehicles related to the concern. Many vehicles have a rear lower mounted fuel tank and that was the case and the concern.
    Not sure what the stats are but I recall motorcycle forums discussing rear-end collisions (a big fear among cyclists) and the stats were quite low.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    Not exactly correct. If she's driving the A4 Quattro wagon it has an impact bar behind the plastic bumper cover and two energy absorbers. The impact is made for impact and the absorbers do compress. The whole rear unibody construction is designed to crumple in a collision. Depending on where the hitch connects and how it's made will change that a bunch but only to take more of a hit. Other parts of the vehicle might be affected due to mounting points.
    I wouldn't worry about it at all and tell her to enjoy her new bike
    Fixed.

mtnbkrmike

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    some great points. but seriously, take that same hitch rack, put it on the FRONT of a car. that car rear ends someone..the front car, safety features take over and protect the passengers (best they can).

i love the 1up. i like how it rides so close to the car body folded up. i have to kiss my garage door to keep my stored rack out of the sidewalk. (truck)
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Some years ago, I had just removed four bikes from my Yakima hitch rack, when a woman rear ended me in her Volvo at ~25mph. Her airbags deployed as her car folded itself around the rack. The rack was undamaged and my car (3/4 ton Suburban ) was completely unscathed. Liability on me? Um, just NO! She rear ended me and totalled her car. Now, had my bikes still been in the rack, she would have had to pay to the tune of around $10K.

As an aside, this impact made me a believer in neck injuries. I thought I was fine and didn't seek medical attention at first. I was sore as hell for about two weeks after that. No long term damage, but I was in a 5800 lb truck and it was only a 25 mph impact, so there was no way I should have hurt so much, but it did.
    One gear is all you need.

jrm
    mtbr member

Another possible concern

Is whether or not your insurance company cold deny a claim based on the hitch rack not being standard equipment or that using it could trigger additional insurance costs..

Wouldnt her bike slide into the back of her car?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Is whether or not your insurance company cold deny a claim based on the hitch rack not being standard equipment or that using it could trigger additional insurance costs..
    I suppose they could claim anything. To me, it would be like a piece of lumber hanging out of my pickup bed. If it sticks out farther than four feet (which a hitch rack would not), it would need to be additionally flagged.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i have a friend that rides. he loves his bikes on top with a roof rack. i think it was purely aesthetics with him. first a Jeep Cj7, then his Nissan Xterra. i kid you not, he hops up on a tire, and one-arms the bike up there..then he needs to fuss and get the front tire-less fork things into that tiny skewer thing..tighten it down just right..no..too tight..damn..too loose..ahh..perfect. then a quick ratchet strap to the back..done. hop off. put the front tire in the back.

one time..pop!! he ripped something in his shoulder. he will never ever be 100%..he just called to tell me his back is permanently injured as well. i think it is all that one arm lifting of his bikes.

i went with the hitch rack.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy View Post
    Anybody know anything about this stuff?
    If only there was a specific place on these forums to find out such info....

Car & Biker - Mtbr.com
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    cross-post it to the Detroit sub-forum so we can get the car engineer perspective.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I use the Kuat Sherpa and just remove it after my ride. 1up seems to be a good rack as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Chiming in late here - I have an Audi S3 with a Curt hitch, and I remove my 1UP rack after every ride. It takes 30 seconds. The Curt is well beneath the car and in from the bumper, and would not affect rear impact absorption.

Audi A3 Quattro, Audi A3 Trailer Hitch - Class I - By Curt Manufacturing | Hitchsource.com

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Removing the hitch rack every ride is not the worst thing in the world but to me, it's like removing my pedals every ride. But they occupy less space.

I have enough logistics to worry about every time I ride. Just IMHO. . Rack is torqued on solid with zero wiggle.

This will be good for the boss wife btw.hitch rack, car - safety concern?-20130621_154518_zpse9fd8c17.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    Nope - I was rear-ended a while ago with a Kuat NV on. I got a new bike rack. Other guy wrote off a beautiful old Saab 900. Hitch racks mount with a square bar into a female receiver. There's a pin that holds it in place. Accident == pin shears off. Probably you bust up a bike mount and maybe rip the steel on the receiver where the pin sheared off. Worst case you need a new hitch mount.
    Not always. Totaled my wife's brand new Outback because she got rear ended at 25mph and the rack/hitch bent the frame of the vehicle.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Removing the hitch rack every ride is not the worst thing in the world but to me, it's like removing my pedals every ride. But they occupy less space.

I have enough logistics to worry about every time I ride. Just IMHO. . Rack is torqued on solid with zero wiggle.

This will be good for the boss wife btw.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130621_154518_zpse9fd8c17.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	1152268
    Personally I prefer having working backup sensors 90% of the time I drive the car to saving 1 minute pre and post ride. But I think you ride more than I do.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenBeat View Post
    Personally I prefer having working backup sensors 90% of the time I drive the car to saving 1 minute pre and post ride. But I think you ride more than I do.
    Backup sensors... that make sense. Fancy cars.

I have a biiiig rack. hitch rack, car - safety concern?-img_9642.jpg
    IPA will save America

Backup sensors... that make sense. Fancy cars.

I have a biiiig rack. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9642.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	1152270
    But a small truck.... ;-)

MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    But a small truck.... ;-)
    You know what they say about guys with big trucks...
    IPA will save America

You know what they say about guys with big trucks...
    They can carry more bikes?

hahahahahaaa

MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I agree that - as per the ingoing question- there is limited effect on the safety risk situation for the car being rear-ended. So your wife will be fine.
    I regardless would always dismount the rack if not needed, because it is just a matter of time when someone rear-ends you and sues you afterwards a) claiming that your tail lights were partly covered and b) the damage to his car could be lower by amount x if your rack was not installed. At least according to European regulations you have to do everything to limit risk to anyone else, even the one that might rear-end you. So a un-used bike rack is a risk which you don´t have to expose others to.
    Don´t suggest that this will be the case, but someday someone with a smartass lawyer will try...
    Bernd

Here, diagonally!
    I've got a 4-bike rack on the back of my Tahoe (usually just carrying 2 or 3 bikes). The bike tires do obstruct the taillights at some angles, and the rack sticks out 2 or 3 feet. So I got a set of led trailer lights on Amazon, plus a connector (my car already had the plug). I think I spent 30 bucks or so.

Common sense tells me I should have unobstructed taillights, especially at night.
    Banshee Prime

Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I've got a 4-bike rack on the back of my Tahoe (usually just carrying 2 or 3 bikes). The bike tires do obstruct the taillights at some angles, and the rack sticks out 2 or 3 feet. So I got a set of led trailer lights on Amazon, plus a connector (my car already had the plug). I think I spent 30 bucks or so.

Common sense tells me I should have unobstructed taillights, especially at night.
    That is actually a pretty good idea.

MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

middle ring single track
    Sort of ironic worrying about auto safety whilst traveling to ride a mountain bike.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Not so fast.. I most cases the vehicle doing the colliding is in a hard stop/skid and nose diving. I would guess that the receiver hitch plays into the damages more than most realize. Rarely is it a bumper height to bumper height crash and usually the offending vehicle sustains more damage because of this. Unless you have a rack mounted in the hitch. It's always best to take the hitch-mounted rack off when it's not being used to haul bikes

middle ring single track
    Perhaps too OT; perhaps not:

Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    Not so fast.. I most cases the vehicle doing the colliding is in a hard stop/skid and nose diving. I would guess that the receiver hitch plays into the damages more than most realize. Rarely is it a bumper height to bumper height crash and usually the offending vehicle sustains more damage because of this. Unless you have a rack mounted in the hitch. It's always best to take the hitch-mounted rack off when it's not being used to haul bikes
    Yup! The dive is significant.

mtbr member
    Yea, I guess I'm just used to around here most people drive trucks or suvs. I gotta remember in cities, there may be more cars than I'm used to.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    Sort of ironic worrying about auto safety whilst traveling to ride a mountain bike.
    Hey! Do you not understand the importance of arriving safely at the trailhead, so that you can go ass over teakettle on the trail?
    Banshee Prime

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Truth. Our sedan rear-ended a Suburban with a tow hitch and 2" ball in the receiver at 5-10 mph (in bumper-to-bumper traffic). The tow hitch impacted the very top of the grill (about 2.5 feet off the ground in normal driving). Thanks to the concentration of force, the hitch pushed the intercooler into the engine, bent the car frame, and required $25,000 in repairs. If we hadn't just bought it a month earlier, it would have been a write-off.

The suburban had...a paint scrape on the tow hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    Truth. Our sedan rear-ended a Suburban with a tow hitch and 2" ball in the receiver at 5-10 mph (in bumper-to-bumper traffic). The tow hitch impacted the very top of the grill (about 2.5 feet off the ground in normal driving). Thanks to the concentration of force, the hitch pushed the intercooler into the engine, bent the car frame, and required $25,000 in repairs. If we hadn't just bought it a month earlier, it would have been a write-off.

The suburban had...a paint scrape on the tow hitch.
    So what you are saying is keep the rack on the hitch to protect your own vehicle from those who tailgate or text n drive?

Noted.

MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    So what you are saying is keep the rack on the hitch to protect your own vehicle from those who tailgate or text n drive?

Noted.
    No. What I'm saying is don't get distracted by a mosquito in the car and rear-end the car in front of you. And don't be that ass that leaves your tow hitch in the receiver when it's clear from the pristine condition of the hitch ball that it's never been used for anything other than preserving your own bumper when parked on the street.

L1MEY
    Avoid the safety concerns and get a roof rack instead

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    - Jen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ...I'd be more concerned about the flying projectiles inside the cabin.

it's clear from the pristine condition of the hitch ball that it's never been used for anything other than preserving your own bumper when parked on the street.
    Maybe that was the only intent of having a hitch ball on there.

I see nothing wrong with that.

MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I drive around like this for the tailgaters and texters.hitch rack, car - safety concern?-img_9640.jpg

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Or you could protect your bikes from low overheads, garages, texting/speeding rear-enders, weather, flying freeway debris, not have them visible as a target of theft or fall off of your rack at speed because you had 1 too many IPA's and forgot to cinch down a strap or the QR or whatever loosely holds your bike to a rack - Simply by doing this:hitch rack, car - safety concern?-15611.jpg

mtbr member
    I drive around like this for the tailgaters and texters.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9640.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	1152470

That, and those tail lights are begging for a ticket. Just sayin'

fc
    stoked Administrator
    That, and those tail lights are begging for a ticket. Just sayin'
    What's up with the tail lights?

Hitch racks are all begging for a ticket?
    IPA will save America

Co Springs
    What's up with the tail lights?

Hitch racks are all begging for a ticket?
    By the photo, maybe Truckee thought they had those black plastic partial covers or were tinted. It looks like either until enlarging the image. At least on my phone.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    If the factory equipment was amber. Your aftermarket lights need to be as well. I got nailed on that.

Any extension of vehicle or load 48" or more, requires a marker. Red flag etc.

Here, diagonally!
    Here's mine with just one bike. With 2 more the lights are definitely playing hide n seek.

Name:  Tahoe1.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  Tahoe2.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  56.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Banshee Prime

Here, diagonally!
    Feel free to enjoy both the right-side up and upside down photos for a different perspective.
    Banshee Prime

Here's mine with just one bike. With 2 more the lights are definitely playing hide n seek.

Name:  Tahoe1.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  Tahoe2.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  56.5 KB
    looks trick.

MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

fc
    stoked Administrator
    If the factory equipment was amber. Your aftermarket lights need to be as well. I got nailed on that.

Any extension of vehicle or load 48" or more, requires a marker. Red flag etc.
    If your bike rack is obstructing your license plates... if your windows are tinted, if no front license plate.

I think this truck has had these tail lights for over 10 years. It's a non-factor. They are broken though and I'll get them back to stock.
    IPA will save America

Co Springs
    Feel free to enjoy both the right-side up and upside down photos for a different perspective.
    You'd def get pulled over in those bottom photos !

Co Springs
    If your bike rack is obstructing your license plates... if your windows are tinted, if no front license plate.

I think this truck has had these tail lights for over 10 years. It's a non-factor. They are broken though and I'll get them back to stock.
    Yeah, you might be safe.

Around these parts, I always get a good laugh because it's the drug runners with $175,000 worth of goodies that get pulled over for the piddly stuff- a dirty tail light lens, toasted blinker or licence plate bulb. Screws up their day Big Time.

I'm an anti front plate renegade myself. I prefer the clean looking front end on my cars and have the plate with me just in case. Was lucky with mine, never had the plate up there or a bracket with the drilled out bumper from prev owner.

I do think some older classic cars look good with the front plate though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hitch rack, car - safety concern?-15ehgzd.jpg  

mtbr member

It's a factor, believe me. We all take our chances with modifications.. Just sayin' Offset wheels that extend the tires beyond the fenders is a big one for trucks. You give a traffic officer enough incentive and your chances of an encounter increase.. And it's always at the worst possible time.. Probably a better discussion for the Taco Envy thread

fc
    stoked Administrator
    It's a factor, believe me. We all take our chances with modifications.. Just sayin' Offset wheels that extend the tires beyond the fenders is a big one for trucks. You give a traffic officer enough incentive and your chances of an encounter increase.. And it's always at the worst possible time.. Probably a better discussion for the Taco Envy thread
    I know it's a factor of course. When I was 21 yrs old with a lowered CRX, I used to get stopped by the popo once a month, for every little stupid car reason.

Now, I haven't been stopped for 30 years. It's a function of where you live, demographic and how bad the cops want to shake you down.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Yeah, you might be safe.

Around these parts, I always get a good laugh because it's the drug runners with $175,000 worth of goodies that get pulled over for the piddly stuff- a dirty tail light lens, toasted blinker or licence plate bulb. Screws up their day Big Time.

I'm an anti front plate renegade myself. I prefer the clean looking front end on my cars and have the plate with me just in case. Was lucky with mine, never had the plate up there or a bracket with the drilled out bumper from prev owner.

I do think some older classic cars look good with the front plate though.
    Exactly. Haven't had a front plate for a while. And that hitch rack with invisible license plate...

My kid's Volvo has such a heavy front tint too. Oh well.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Or you could protect your bikes from low overheads, garages, texting/speeding rear-enders, weather, flying freeway debris, not have them visible as a target of theft or fall off of your rack at speed because you had 1 too many IPA's and forgot to cinch down a strap or the QR or whatever loosely holds your bike to a rack - Simply by doing this:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15611.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	1152472
    Pretty cool... just like an SUV
    IPA will save America

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Maybe that was the only intent of having a hitch ball on there.

I see nothing wrong with that.
    Turn a fender bender that would be $1500 in paint/new bumper into a $25,000 bad day? As long as you get yours, screw everyone else, right?

mtbr member
    Turn a fender bender that would be $1500 in paint/new bumper into a $25,000 bad day? As long as you get yours, screw everyone else, right?
    That's a tad harsh, isn't it? I mean 99% of rear enders are the fault of the person following. They're either following too close, or distracted with their communicator. VERY seldom is a rear ender the fault of the car in front.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    That's a tad harsh, isn't it? I mean 99% of rear enders are the fault of the person following. They're either following too close, or distracted with their communicator. VERY seldom is a rear ender the fault of the car in front.
    Yeah, a wee bit bitter.
    IPA will save America

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Front car has non-working brake lights and a tow hitch. Car behind's driver (not me here) rear-ends in stop & go traffic due to distraction caused by bug in car (not a phone). What would be a minor scrape is instead heavy structural damage.

Bitter? No, gave that up a while back, although it's hard to see a brand new car with the hood crumpled up to the engine block. Not understanding people who think that as long as they're better off, screw the other guy? That I won't give up.

mtbr member
    Pretty cool... just like an SUV
    In some ways yes. But the back being separate from the passenger comp, I don't worry about muddy bikes or smelly dirty dogs. I can literally hose the back out when it's dirty
    I really like that the bikes are completely out of sight from anyone. I'm way over adding decals to the truck that would indicate anything of value inside. Post ride is worry free should I want to stop anywhere.

mtbr member
    Front car has non-working brake lights and a tow hitch. Car behind's driver (not me here) rear-ends in stop & go traffic due to distraction caused by bug in car (not a phone). What would be a minor scrape is instead heavy structural damage.

Bitter? No, gave that up a while back, although it's hard to see a brand new car with the hood crumpled up to the engine block. Not understanding people who think that as long as they're better off, screw the other guy? That I won't give up.
    Non-working brake lights changes the equation most of the time, if proven that they weren't damaged due to the rear-ender.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    I don't really care about apportioning fault, as I get that it's probably 90+ percent the driver of my car (the other driver didn't make a claim, because his car was untouched, so there was no fault apportioned). I've never personally hit anything (other than my garage door...oops) with my car, but have had it hit several times by others. I understand how much it sucks to have to take your car to the body shop and get it repaired. And even if insurance pays, your car now has a refurbished bumper, bondo, and a CarFax record, so the resale takes a hit.

But the sense that it's cool to put force concentrating things on the outside of your car for the sole purpose of shifting and magnifying the consequences to someone else just sucks. We're all going to make a mistake at some point. Why make it worse just because it's someone else who screws up?

mtbr member
    If someone else screws up, why should I have to take the full brunt of the impact? I can leave on a hitch ball that will absorb more impact into a cars radiator (which is going to the shop anyways with or without my hitch ball) and keep my damage to a minimum.

Its kinda like if I see someone running right to me, but I can't move because I'm in a crowd. I would try to strong arm them, rather than just stand there and take the full impact.

mtbr member
    I just don't get the assumption that someone intentionally left their hitch in place as a personal battering ram. I'll conservatively estimate that I've towed between 100 and 150 times behind my Suburban. Sometimes, I leave the hitch in between tows. It's not illegal and it's generally a safe place for me to leave it. It also assures that I have it with me when I need it. I can't tell you how many times I've rescue towed friends or family members. It's just something that I have always done.

I guess I always assume the following about people in general... No one does anything intentionally to other people. People do what they do because it makes sense to them. They may be unaware of how their actions affect others, is all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It'd definitely help parking in SF, where people park by braille.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    If someone else screws up, why should I have to take the full brunt of the impact? I can leave on a hitch ball that will absorb more impact into a cars radiator (which is going to the shop anyways with or without my hitch ball) and keep my damage to a minimum.

Its kinda like if I see someone running right to me, but I can't move because I'm in a crowd. I would try to strong arm them, rather than just stand there and take the full impact.

It's not "taking the full brunt." It's magnifying it 10x. A 5 mph bumper-to-bumper impact is going to scratch and maybe detach bumpers, not push the radiator into the engine. But put that force into 1 square inch at the end of the tow hitch and it pancakes the radiator and intercooler and bends the frame of a 3,500 pound car.

The way I see it is there's either $5,000 of damage total, with both cars taking $2,500, or $25,000, all on one car. That sounds fine when you're the one with the tow hitch, but it makes very little sense when you compare the two possible outcomes.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtJunky View Post
    Yeah, street parking around here is pretty much guaranteed to get you a couple dings each month. I see a lot of the "bumper bully" attachments. A few neighbors with really expensive SUVs (straight up Range Rovers that are street parked, wtf) have metal square tubing (no tow hitch, or even something that could hold a hitch ball) in their receiver to keep other cars away.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Never buy as used SF City car.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Well, I guess I got tired of going to the body shop for new rear bumpers. After getting rear ended twice in one weekend, in two different towns, both while sitting at red lights...I'm done. That wasn't even my first incident being rear ended. Nobody has ever given me a "love tap". Its always been full on collisions. I'll keep the hitch on. If people don't want the hitch in thier radiator, maybe they should put down the phone and drive.

mtbr member
    I usually leave the ball mount in place until I walk by too closely and bang my knee on the *!%$# thing and then I remove it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Haha - I hear that! I grease my ball (no comments, Mr. Josh), so use a tennis ball to cover it up. It's really funny to see a retriever try to wrap their head around the tennis ball they cannot obtain.

mtbr member
    Haha - I hear that! I grease my ball (no comments, Mr. Josh), so use a tennis ball to cover it up. It's really funny to see a retriever try to wrap their head about the tennis ball they cannot obtain.
    That would drive my Border Collie nuts!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I used to leave the hitch on my deceased suburban to hook the dog leash to it. Worked great especially if the dog needed to be wiped down before getting back in the car.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNovato View Post
    I used to leave the hitch on my deceased suburban to hook the dog leash to it. Worked great especially if the dog needed to be wiped down before getting back in the car.
    You're not Clark Griswold, right?

Co Springs
    I have an almost hidden hitch on my little car, and mostly because it sits so low. The down side is it scrapes making that loud grating noise if I'm not slow and careful on my driveway approach (45° is best).

Times I'm too lazy to remove the hitch rack, I don't care for the look of it or the slight rearward visibility it blocks but now that I think about it, the best reason to pop it off is one less thing to get damaged if some wingnut does rear-end my car.

However, it is impressively sturdy looking and might indeed save more car damage and costs.

On the other hand, I'm not opposed to getting someone's mistake to net me some fresh paint work on a 13 year old car.

- undecided in Colorado
    Last edited by bachman1961; 08-18-2017 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    this thread gives me an idea of finding a ball-hitch that has the coiled rattle snake and "Don't Tread on Me" etched on it. I can use in my hidden hitch for daily commuting to send a message to other drivers. then remove it for when I want to use my 1UpUSA Rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about, DONT CRASH INTO OTHER CARS?

Getting rear ended is very rarely the fault of the person in front, it is generally the person who is following who is at fault. You are gonna have to have some very clever explanation to show why you are not at fault for running your car into the back of another one.....

Why should the car being hit care anything about the damage done to the car that hit them? Why?

MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member

Getting rear ended is very rarely the fault of the person in front, it is generally the person who is following who is at fault. You are gonna have to have some very clever explanation to show why you are not at fault for running your car into the back of another one.....

Why should the car being hit care anything about the damage done to the car that hit them? Why?
    +1

The main reasons for rearending another car are distractions, and tailgating. 99% At fault, at least in CA.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    +1

The main reasons for rearending another car are distractions, and tailgating. 99% At fault, at least in CA.
    Until semi trailers and work trucks have similar rear-end safety technology requirements, seems like a wasted debate.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded

At no point here did anyone debate fault. The point is whether you'd rather walk away clean and leave the other person 10x worse off. There's a larger social perspective here, it's just hard to see until you're on the other side of it.

I've had my car hit (twice, recently, and both times while parked, and those lucky SOBs won't have to pay a damn thing because VW is buying that cheating diesel back on Wednesday and it only has to drive in under its own power). I've never (yet) hit someone else. But a friend driving my old car ran it into a tow hitch ball at 5 mph (yes, distracted by a buzzing insect in the car; driver wasn't used to the car's high idle acceleration; car in front had non-working tail lights). It should have been a fender bender. But it was 3 weeks of body shop work and $25,000 in repair costs.

If you tow shit all the time, fine, leave the hitch ball in. If you put it there to protect your car, I think that's a pretty antisocial thing to do.

Obviously I'm in the minority here. May you all never have the misfortune of rear-ending someone with a tow hitch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    At no point here did anyone debate fault. The point is whether you'd rather walk away clean and leave the other person 10x worse off. There's a larger social perspective here, it's just hard to see until you're on the other side of it.

I've had my car hit (twice, recently, and both times while parked, and those lucky SOBs won't have to pay a damn thing because VW is buying that cheating diesel back on Wednesday and it only has to drive in under its own power). I've never (yet) hit someone else. But a friend driving my old car ran it into a tow hitch ball at 5 mph (yes, distracted by a buzzing insect in the car; driver wasn't used to the car's high idle acceleration; car in front had non-working tail lights). It should have been a fender bender. But it was 3 weeks of body shop work and $25,000 in repair costs.

If you tow shit all the time, fine, leave the hitch ball in. If you put it there to protect your car, I think that's a pretty antisocial thing to do.

Obviously I'm in the minority here. May you all never have the misfortune of rear-ending someone with a tow hitch.
    in my 50s, been driving since I was 15. until this thread I never gave a thought to exposed ball hitch when driving on enemy vehicles and I still don't....

not sure whether you are serious or trolling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    I never gave a thought to exposed ball hitch when driving on enemy vehicles
    This is pretty much my point.

The larger social perspective is to not tailgate, ram another car, ruin an innocent persons day and then get upset that your own car is very damaged because the car you ran into happened to have a hitch mounted item on it.

If you get behind the wheel, it is your responsibility to not run your car into other peoples personal property. If you are liable for the damages... too bad.

I have been on the other side of it. I rear ended someone once many years ago and the front bumper of my s-10 smacked right into the tow hitch on a Blazer. Was 100% my fault. The ladies Blazer had no damage, she was okay with not filing an insurance report. That s-10 had a dinged up front bumper the rest of the time I owned it.

Never once did I decry her for having a tow hitch that "ruined" my bumper.... I don't think it is me that needs to get perspective on this idea.

MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This is pretty much my point.
    I interpreted your point as, "Others should try and make their cars safer for when others ram into them."

I don't want to ram into anyone, and in particular an 18 wheeler, large SU, etc....Did you see the tragedy the other day where a mom, probably distracted rear ended an 18 wheeler killing her, at least one of her own kids and another kid who she was driving home from sports?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast