jms
    mtbr member

Hi Mountain [XCX] Enduro 4/1

If you've got a CX bike and are looking for an amusing ride this weekend, I'll be doing a good sized CX loop starting and ending in San Luis Obispo on Sunday the first. The route includes pavement, dirt roads and a healthy amount of singletrack:

Downtown SLO > Orcutt Rd. > Lopez Dr. > Hi Mountain Rd. [dirt] > Hi Mountain lookout [dirt] > Rinconada Mine Trail [singletrack] > Pozo Rd. > Highway 58 > Hwy 101 [briefly] > Stagecoach Rd. > West Cuesta > "Shooters" [singletrack] > Eucs [singletrack] > Poly Cyn. [singletrack and dirt] > town.

Ending here:

Bel Frites

With a Duvel and a bag of Frites.

Company would be nice. PM for details if you're interested in joining me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hi Mountain [XCX] Enduro  4/1-img_0009.jpg  

My Favorite Peeps:

singletrack bound
    man I wish I could! Sounds like a great day on the bike.

one of these days..........
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Wish I could too but I gotta work

It would be great to catch up riding our awesome trails and then ending the ride with our usual pizza and gelato....ummmmm gelato!
    If you ain't first, your last - Ricky Bobby
    Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever - Lance Armstrong

jms
    mtbr member

It's Got A Bit Of Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    man I wish I could! Sounds like a great day on the bike.

one of these days..........
    Thanks Tone. I think you'd like it, it's got a bit of everything. It's certainly a different route than last weekend's regatta down the coast:

Warm, dry, wildflowers, a citrus orchard, more and tougher singletrack, views, somewhat shorter, and more technically demanding for a bike with drop bars. I think the ride gives the name it's derived from the respect it's due.
    My Favorite Peeps:

jms
    mtbr member

Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by 2WheelinChipmunk View Post
    Wish I could too but I gotta work

It would be great to catch up riding our awesome trails and then ending the ride with our usual pizza and gelato....ummmmm gelato!
    Bummer. I'm even routing through the skills park @ the Eucalyptus grove on the way to Poly Cyn in your honor.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    That's a good route with awesome scenery the whole time. Anyone in the area should join John for a nice little crusher.

mtbr member
    please post a pic of a CX hitting the wallrad at speed

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    man i miss riding with ya John - when the kiddos get older I'll get my fat butt back in shape so I can at least finish a ride like this

look forward to pics
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

jms
    mtbr member

Back at you.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    man i miss riding with ya John - when the kiddos get older I'll get my fat butt back in shape so I can at least finish a ride like this

look forward to pics
    I'll be looking forward to the day. I can't think of many people I enjoy riding with more Nick, you're always great company and funny as hell too.

This one will be perfect for you and that Tri-cross of yours, there's plenty of singletrack, stream crossings, and rolling, rough climbing and descending. Some sections are pretty close to the limit of what I'm willing to do on a CX bike. Rinconada and Shooters would definitely kill a road bike and a mountain bike would be dropped on all the pavement sections leading to Hi Mountain Rd. and heading back towards Santa Margarita and Cuesta Grade. I like that the ride finishes with predominantly singletrack too.

It would make a really good "official event", especially starting @ the base of Mt. Madonna and routing it out through Laguna Lake before heading toward Lopez.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ummmm.... isn't this a week early
    Only the curious have something to find.

http://wanderlustandtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/

jms
    mtbr member

Chocolate Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    Ummmm.... isn't this a week early
    I have something else in mind for YOU the following weekend, something where you'll break a sweat. And don't forget my chocolate bunny
    Last edited by jms; 03-28-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    My Favorite Peeps:

190lbs of climber
    Stop and say hi at the cal poly campus crit on your way through. It's as close to a mtb course as a crit can be. A hill every lap, and a downhill <90 degree turn.
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Bummer. I'm even routing through the skills park @ the Eucalyptus grove on the way to Poly Cyn in your honor.
    Seriously??? I love going through there as fast as I can. Of course the wall is hit and miss for me....well more miss then hit I'd like to see you do it though!

Lets ride soon
    Noelle
    If you ain't first, your last - Ricky Bobby
    Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever - Lance Armstrong

jms
    mtbr member

Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Menso View Post
    Stop and say hi at the cal poly campus crit on your way through. It's as close to a mtb course as a crit can be. A hill every lap, and a downhill <90 degree turn.
    Sweet!

Are you doing the pro race? The timing looks @ right, I'll stop by if you don't mind me begging for jelly beans when I get there

BTW - great job @ Redlands: Top 20 @ GC! I understand the conditions were dreadful on Sunday?
    My Favorite Peeps:

jms
    mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    That's a good route with awesome scenery the whole time. Anyone in the area should join John for a nice little crusher.
    Thanks Curtis. There's no better endorsement.
    My Favorite Peeps:

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Sweet!

Are you doing the pro race? The timing looks @ right, I'll stop by if you don't mind me begging for jelly beans when I get there

BTW - great job @ Redlands: Top 20 @ GC! I understand the conditions were dreadful on Sunday?
    Ya, I'll be there, and I'll bring some beans for you. Redlands... how about rivers in the streets on Sunday? I crashed twice in the first fifteen minutes, but got back up and to the front group both times. After that, I'm just well enough to ride again today.
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

jms
    mtbr member

Almost

Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post
    please post a pic of a CX hitting the wallrad at speed
    Almost made it.....not really. What can I say? It was muddy, the wall was wet, my vaguyna was a bit crampy at that point in the ride, and hey my nipples were a bit sensitive too.
    My Favorite Peeps:

jms
    mtbr member

Dang

Quote Originally Posted by Menso View Post
    Ya, I'll be there, and I'll bring some beans for you. Redlands... how about rivers in the streets on Sunday? I crashed twice in the first fifteen minutes, but got back up and to the front group both times. After that, I'm just well enough to ride again today.
    Sorry I missed you. I looked for you, did a lap of the course and gave in to my hunger pangs: I'm weak, Frites and a Duvel trumped jelly beans.
    My Favorite Peeps:

jms
    mtbr member

Mud, Wind and Flowers

Here's a quick recap of the Hi Moutain route.

Saturday's storm left the behind the usual following day aftermath @ SLO county: sticky mud and wind. Winds were gusting above 30 mph and the mud was sticky enough to strand two truckloads of Bubbas heading downhill, out hunting God knows what, near the intersection of Hi Mountain and the spur to Hi Mtn. lookout. Looks of incredulity and "hook a chain to him" as I rode past them heading uphill.

The mud never completely stalled the Kish, I might have walked a total of a hundered yards on this ride, but there were time cantilevers were hidden in balls of adobe. 90% of the singletrack was downhill and it was all rideable and fun.

The strong winds were more of an aid than adversary on this ride. I was protected by in the canyons from the majority of it, and only across the top of a ridge beyond the lookout and riding in @ Pozo Rd. into Santa Margarita did I have a full on 20-25mph headwind in my face. And I had a great tailwind heading up Cuesta Grade on the way back toward San Luis Obispo.

The last two storms have really greened up the landscape @ SLO Co. The flowers are finally taking off and the grasses were an emerald color that's been missing for months down here.

All total, the ride is a bit more than 60 miles with 6000 feet of climbing. Around 40 miles of pavement, 20 mils of dirt, with @ 8 miles of singletrack, and one skills park for amusement [complete fail on the wall ride]. All good stuff. Here's some pictures from the ride:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hi Mountain [XCX] Enduro  4/1-img_1353.jpg  

Hi Mountain [XCX] Enduro  4/1-img_1363.jpg  

Hi Mountain [XCX] Enduro  4/1-img_1368.jpg  

Hi Mountain [XCX] Enduro  4/1-img_1385.jpg  

Hi Mountain [XCX] Enduro  4/1-img_1387.jpg  

Last edited by jms; 04-03-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    My Favorite Peeps:

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Nice!
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct