mtbr member

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Sat Nov 13, Hoover Lake Trail (Jackalope) free Maps&Tee's!

In Coe-operation with California State parks, the Pine Ridge Association,
    Friends of Gilroy Yamato Hot Springs, and Responsible Organized Mountain Pedalers, we bring you:

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Sat Nov 13, Hoover Lake Trail (Jackalope) free Maps&Tee's!.

Meet at 9:00 am at the Hunting Hollow parking area this Saturday, November 13.

Water, refreshments, and snacks are provided, but please bring your own lunch
    and water for convenience and to ensure satisfaction.

Bring appropriate trail work attire, including gloves, eye protection, and footwear.

edit: We've got a lot of room for shuttles. There will be 2 crew cab pick-up trucks (one is a park truck) and one regular pickup truck. We'll be happy to shuttle one way or the other as well, so you can ride back after the trail work, for example.

You may transport yourself to work site by riding (too far to walk this one), or you may
    take a ride in a shuttle vehicle. Shuttle space may be limited, so definitiely rsvp if you
    want a vehicle ride. We can also transport extra clothing etc. to the work site and back if
    you ride there.

Volunteers will receive an $8.50 water proof park map for helping out a first time.

Volunteers will receive an $18.00 Coe T-shirt for coming a second time (until supply runs out).

Veteran trailworkers may choose to receive either a T-shirt or a map,
    or wait for something better (details TBA).

Also, of course free parking for volunteers for the day. Get a volunteer pass at the beginning of the day from the lead.

We are sincerely very grateful for all the support the community can afford towards the improvement of the Henry W. Coe trail system.
    Last edited by Jack Burns; 11-11-2010 at 11:22 PM.

loopy counter

Hoover Lake trail is the new Donkey Kong

Something about that trail reminds me of Donkey Kong. It's got a flat area on top that a monkey would love, tight switchbacks steep enough for ladders, and flat straightaways that a barrel could roll down. I thought it was just my misspent youth getting the best of me and I wasn't going to say anything, but then Plymmer shows up...

Or shall we refer to him as "Mario".

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs
    Something about that trail reminds me of Donkey Kong. It's got a flat area on top that a monkey would love, tight switchbacks steep enough for ladders, and flat straightaways that a barrel could roll down. I thought it was just my misspent youth getting the best of me and I wasn't going to say anything, but then Plymmer shows up...

Or shall we refer to him as "Mario".
    That Is AWESOME!!!

mtbr member
    El Hombre, Plymmer/Mario and I send our apologies, although we will ride the Hoover Lake trail a few hours before you begin work on it. We will be making our second attempt at the Hard COEre 100 starting midnight Friday night.

We'll rough the trail up a bit so you have something to keep you busy!

middle ring single track

A bump and a shameless plug...

Photobucket
    A reminder to the illustrious "Coe-aficionados" who are playing the "Missing Marker Contest" that the prizes (2 bottles of Pliny) will be awarded after the Trail Work Day and that the winners are expected to have participated in the Trail Work Day's tasks (a none-to-subtle way of getting recruits).

It is rumored that there may be no-shows in which case the Pliny will be added to the next month's contest prizes. (Or more likely, the Sorcerer and I will drink them instead!)

Photobucket
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Oh bummer.. I was looking forward to sampling this Pliny. Perhaps we'll see you in the Hunting Hollow parking lot around sunset?

This is realistically the last opportunity we will have until next year to attempt this ride; it has taken 4 weeks, and for one of us, a recuperative trip to Hawai'i, just to get up the strength and courage to try again!!

Thanks to everyone who does come out and work on the Hoover Lake Trail this weekend. If you're unsure, it's going to be a beautiful day, and it's a really great ride there if you've never done it.

middle ring single track

It's getting darker earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by ratpick
    Oh bummer.. I was looking forward to sampling this Pliny. Perhaps we'll see you in the Hunting Hollow parking lot around sunset?
    It's possible that some of us may still be lurking there...

(waiting for a designated driver to show up)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg
    It's possible that some of us may still be lurking there...

(waiting for a designated driver to show up)
    We'll be pushing it just to get back at sunset but hopefully, your driver is very delayed

middle ring single track

Sunset Saturday or sunset Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by ratpick
    We'll be pushing it just to get back at sunset but hopefully, your driver is very delayed
    I'm hoping to be home before midnight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    A reminder to the illustrious "Coe-aficionados" who are playing the "Missing Marker Contest" that the prizes (2 bottles of Pliny) will be awarded after the Trail Work Day and that the winners are expected to have participated in the Trail Work Day's tasks (a none-to-subtle way of getting recruits).
    I was planning that if ratpick doesn't win both parts and I won one, I was going to ask Sorcerer to donate my prize to Saturday's trailwork volunteers by drawing straws!

(I generally can't make anything on Saturdays...except maybe night rides starting late in the day)

mtbr member
    Locoyokel and everyone,

What we are going to do, is add unclaimed prizes into the next month's kitty. That way the prizes get better. To keep everyone hoppy, we might need to keep Pliny in the kitty every month anyway, considering the name of the thread. Does anyone have a connection to the Russian River Brewery to sponsor this?

Your considerable contributions this month will be awarded with honor heaped upon your name. So don't be discouraged. Keep playing the game.

If there is some Sunday, where you'd like to work trail.
    Please name it and we'll make it a date you can't bail.

At the trail work this weekend we are going to be testing a few new saws and loppers. We are trying to decide upon what to invest in with which to take on some serious Coe brushing. The photo and video review should be interesting.

On this trail work at Hoover Lake trail we have a lot of tread work to do still. There remains some brushing to do, but it is not a major amount. I am bringing more cutter-mattocks, both light and heavy ones.

Come to think of it, we should show this contest to Morgan Hill's El Toro Brewing Company, and get them to pony something up.
    Last edited by Jack Burns; 11-11-2010 at 11:29 PM.

More pie please
    I will be there, plan to leave HH about 8am and pedal to the work site.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer
    Come to think of it, we should show this contest to Morgan Hill's El Toro Brewing Company,
    and get them to pony something up.
    The owner once posted on mtbr: El Toro Brew Pub Review

See you tomorrow!
    ///Charlie

mtbr member
    See you there Charlie!

This will be our last chance to hit this beautiful trail up this year.

More Torque
    Should be a perfect fall day in Coe.

See you guys there!

-D

mtbr member

Completed Objectives on Hoover Lake Trail

Good dirt day. Thanks to the crew and California State Parks.

Good Night too!

More pie please

Just a few pics from the day...

Thank you Sorcerer, Diesel~, knobs, pliebenberg, Ranger Eric Griggs, Valerie, and Nancy for your work yesterday.

By the end of the day, Diesel~ had carved a perfect bench into the rocky ground here.

Buckeye on my water bottle:

Nancy and Valerie with their swag map:

And thank you Pine Ridge Association for my new tee shirt!
    ///Charlie

More Torque
    Thanks to everyone who came out to help.

I was pretty much heads down, so I did not get many people photos, unfortunately.

Photos 1-7 are of a section of singletrack being built out.

The last 3 are of Sorcerer and Pliebenberg hard at work.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Sat Nov 13, Hoover Lake Trail (Jackalope) free Maps&Tee's!-2010_11_13_coe_05.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Sat Nov 13, Hoover Lake Trail (Jackalope) free Maps&Tee's!-2010_11_13_coe_07.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Sat Nov 13, Hoover Lake Trail (Jackalope) free Maps&Tee's!-2010_11_13_coe_11.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Sat Nov 13, Hoover Lake Trail (Jackalope) free Maps&Tee's!-2010_11_13_coe_12.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Sat Nov 13, Hoover Lake Trail (Jackalope) free Maps&Tee's!-2010_11_13_coe_15.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Sat Nov 13, Hoover Lake Trail (Jackalope) free Maps&Tee's!-2010_11_13_coe_16.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Sat Nov 13, Hoover Lake Trail (Jackalope) free Maps&Tee's!-2010_11_13_coe_17.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Sat Nov 13, Hoover Lake Trail (Jackalope) free Maps&Tee's!-2010_11_13_coe_19.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Sat Nov 13, Hoover Lake Trail (Jackalope) free Maps&Tee's!-2010_11_13_coe_19a.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Sat Nov 13, Hoover Lake Trail (Jackalope) free Maps&Tee's!-2010_11_13_coe_22.jpg  

middle ring single track

Mission Accomplished Times Two!

Saturday 13 November 2010 will go down in Henry W Coe SP MTB history as the day the "HardCOEre 100" ( http://www.hardcoere100.com/description.html ) was first conquered and as the day the Hoover Lake Trail re-alignment was finished! (I had my doubts that either would occur---both went into over-time!) The two events are related inasmuch as the HardCOEre 100 runs down the Hoover Lake Trail as part of the course---albeit only about 1% of the distance! (but probably the longest level portion!) AND the lads in the "race" had all worked on the trail previously...

Here are my photos from the day:
    Photobucket
    My Trail Work "day" actually started the day before---I rode into the work site to place some humorous encouragement for the "HardCOEre 100"
    riders alongside the trail at the "Goddess of the Hoover Lake Vortex Chaparral Root-Ball Shrine".

Photobucket
    "Bottoms-up" for good luck!

Photobucket
    A group of overnight campers from Pacheco Camp were out on an organized day hike and we happened to intercept them just as we reached
    the work site. Here, knobs explains the benefits of joining in on the Trail Work festivities---Ranger Eric and Sorcerer wait in the wings.

Photobucket
    Here Sorcerer is supplying the hikers with fresh drinking water in exchange for a promise to join in on the Trail Work in the future.

Photobucket
    "Psssst....the tools are over here---let's get crackin...."

Photobucket
    Here's where we left off after the last work day, the original route (in the drainage bottom) is on the left, the new route (with the blue flagging)
    is on the right just out of the water course.

Photobucket
    Valerie and Nancy tackle benching work with the McLeod tools.

Photobucket
    Skyline35 is well known for the most excellent photos he posts at MTBR, here he fine tunes a section of the trail. Thanks Charlie!

Photobucket
    One of the pleasures of getting "out" at Coe is the wildlife one encounters---this is the tiniest "horned toad" I've ever encountered.

Photobucket
    Excellent camouflage!

Photobucket
    For scale, I got the little fellow to climb on the little finger of my gloved left hand.

Photobucket
    Reminds me of a little dinosaur...

Photobucket
    The west end of the newly re-aligned trail---Ranger Eric handled obscurring the old route.

Videos coming soon...!

I'm a "she".
    Oh wow, been so busy at work that I hadn't checked MTBR for days and the 2nd Saturday ritual totally escaped me! I would have loved to be part of this historical day!

pliebenberg, that "horned toad" was the coolest thing! Thanks for the photo! And that balloon idea was ingenious! If I had thought of it, I would have ridden in and planted one in the middle of the Anza-Jackson climb (hia hia hia )... Okay, just kidding. That would have been mean to the Hard COEer trio.

Looks like a great turn out on a lovely day! Thanks everyone for the hard work!
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Nice work everyone - a big THANKS!!

It will be great to have that trail nicely out of the watercourse, and I look forward to trying those tight switchbacks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer
    If there is some Sunday, where you'd like to work trail.
    Please name it and we'll make it a date you can't bail.
    Problem is that even Sundays are no sure thing - like this weekend, on Friday I was pretty sure I might get a big ride in Sunday, or at least out to Demo for a short ride, ended up with zip.

But I cleared 3 or 4 trees a few weeks ago, including a lot of sawing on Kelly Cabin Canyon trail and a pretty good sized one on Pacheco Creek trail....better than nothing I guess!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    pliebenberg, that "horned toad" was the coolest thing! Thanks for the photo! And that balloon idea was ingenious! If I had thought of it, I would have ridden in and planted one in the middle of the Anza-Jackson climb (hia hia hia )... Okay, just kidding. That would have been mean to the Hard COEer trio.
    And it might have been wasted - we climbed Anza but not Jackson

Fantastic work everyone. I almost want to ride the 100 again just to ride this section over - or maybe, I'll just go out and ride this section directly

The Pliny monument was fantastic - something about coming across it in the dead of the night made it quite special!

King Of Tooth Tarter

Well Done Folks

Glad to see this trail finished since so much of the park need trail work. Thanks so much for the hard work. Sorry I couldn't be there. The stars had aligned and we 3 had to meet our destination with history. I'll be there next month as I really like to help out.

I'm hoping this work will bring more people deeper into the park. Coe has so much beauty to offer.

Roy.

middle ring single track

Video...

As promised, here's a little snippet of video from near the end of the work day:

<< warning---music by Beethoven>>

...more video coming!

middle ring single track

Chest mounted GoPro video (std def)

So the day following the work day I returned to the scene of the crime...

...to try riding the switchbacks myself; I was able to get through them on my 29er but it was tight!

mtbr member

Nice Video of the Hoover Lake Trail!

That was very enjoyable and satisfying to view Paul.

The angle of the sun behind you, and the shadow result of yourself added a lot of interest to it.

Congratulations on cleaning these corners. Yes, the trail is loose and unconsolidated under those turns, and it makes them a lot more difficult. If this were the MROSD the trail would be closed until next spring. It actually would be good for people to stay off it if they can when it is really wet. However, knowing us, we'll be there to repair, improve, and fine tune this section as needed.

I would have liked to make these turns bigger and bermed, but the labor is not available. Instead what we have here are really relatively flat and tight turns. These will be tough to scoot around at a high speed, in the downhill direction.

A main goal seems to be satisfied: A challenging and fun rideable trail in both directions, up and down. Time will tell if it is sustainable.

Members who have read this thread: 0