Is now still the time?

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Sat Nov 10, Jim Donnelly Tr free Maps, Shirts, Food!

Hell!

Oh? - It's just another volunteer trail work day in Henry W Coe State Park!

9am-3pm. Hunting Hollow. Henry W Coe SP. Saturday Nov 10th.

We've got tools and plenty of work to do.

We've got snacks, drinks, free park maps, and slick event T-shirts to give away!

Description

We will work on the realignment of the Jim Donnelly Trail accessed from Hunting Hollow gate. This is a great new multi-use trail that is becoming popular with all users. It's a 3.5 mile trail that starts right across from the first Hunting Hollow creek crossing. It provides a sustainable 10% grade trail all the way up to Steer Ridge Road.

We'll do trail work rain or shine. It's been dry for a long time, the ground is hard, and conditions will be dusty. We'll focus on widening the trail in the bottom one mile section up to the picnic table.

We will be working with McLeods, Pick-mattocks, shovels, rakes, loppers, and hand saws. Instruction on safe tool use will be provided.

We'll meet at the Hunting Hollow Parking Lot at 9AM to organize teams, hand out tools and walk to the work sites. We'll work until 3PM, with a noon time lunch break all together along the trail.

You will be expected to sign a liability release to participate in this activity. Participants under age of 18 will be required to provide a Parental/Guardian Permission for Juveniles Consent Form.

Plan on wearing sturdy boots, long trousers and bring work gloves if you have them. Bring a lunch and water.

Thanks for being willing to help, we're looking forward to a great day in this beautiful park.

Please contact Paul Nam (email vocinam@yahoo.com) to express your interest in volunteering for this trailwork activity.

Venue:

Hunting Hollow Entrance and Parking Lot

Description:

The Hunting Hollow entrance and parking lot is located on the south-west edge of the park on Gilroy Hot Springs Road north-east of Gilroy.

The Hunting Hollow gate and parking area is open 24 hours a day, year round. You can arrive at the entrance and park any time of day or night. You can self-register for day use or backpacking. Be sure to take a park map with you when you head into the backcountry. You'll find free handout maps at the bulletin board in the parking area. You can also study a large park map stapled to the bulletin boards. Large maps are available for purchase on weekends when the parking area is staffed (in March through June).

There are no car camping sites at the Hunting Hollow entrance.

Dogs are not allowed beyond the Hunting Hollow entrance. See Dogs at Coe Park for more information.

No drinking water is available at the Hunting Hollow entrance, so be sure to bring what you'll need.

Getting There
    The Coe Park Hunting Hollow entrance is located on Gilroy Hot Springs Road, the same road you take to get to Coyote Reservoir.

To get to the entrances, take Highway 101 to Gilroy (which is about 10 miles south of Morgan Hill and 25 miles south of San Jose). The distance from 101 to the Hunting Hollow entrance is about 9 miles.

Take the Leavesley Road exit (County Road G9) and head east.

After about 1.8 miles, turn left (north) on New Avenue; go a little over half a mile and then turn right (east) on Roop Road. About 3.3 miles up Roop Road, you'll pass the Coyote Reservoir Road on the left.

The Hunting Hollow entrance is about 3.3 miles past the Coyote Reservoir Road turnoff.
    Last edited by Sorcerer; 11-05-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: sp
    SOrCerer

PRETENDURO
    Damn I’d love to do this but we’re going away on vacation for a week—leaving on Saturday. I did help out Roy and the crew (Charlie, Eric) last weekend though. I do want to volunteer a lot more at Coe in the future, however.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

middle ring single track

Bump...

As I was sayin...

There are too many choices for trail work this weekend:

Emma McCrary Trail (Pogonip EMUT) in Santa Cruz's Pogonip Open Space
    Jim Donnelly Trail (JDT for short) in Henry W Coe SP
    John Nicholas Trail in Sanborn Skyline Park (Santa Clara County Park above Saratoga)

This'll be only be maybe the 3rd time I've missed a TWD on the JDT; I'm heading to the long-overdue trail in Sanborn.

I don't want to be giving the impression that I've given up on the JDT; I was out there on Wednesday doing some prep work:
    Photobucket
    Bureaucracy, bureaucracy, bureaucracy--setting pin flags per the Trail Log
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

Is now still the time?
    Hey PL,

Thanks for placing the blue linear metric flags. We used them.

There were 8 volunteers: 4 men, and 4 women. We had two paid staff show up as well.

I'll post photos eventually. But I wanted to give some fresh impressions right away.

As usual, it's a personal scramble to make it to these events, but I made it on time. Given the new rules of engagement, we must have paid staff supervision. So when the new chief shows up over 15 minutes late, paid no less, I am not pleased. Seven volunteers standing around in the cold parking lot, make 15 minutes seem like an hour. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to get them started on unloading the tools we would need, and sending one fit and fast one up to the picnic table with a floor pump (to inflate the sagging innertubes) to bring down the wheelbarrows.

When the new chief arrived, who had declined a month's worth of opportunities to communicate by email, I introduced myself and exchanged pleasantries. He started off on some tangents, which I bore patiently as I could, and then he launched into an explanation of what he wanted to do.

I cut him off right there, and told him he didn't need to tell me what he wanted to do, but in fact, that he needed to actually get out there and do it.

So I wanted to see how a professional does this stuff. It turned out that he wasn't at all properly prepared to lead volunteers. If it weren't for me having the volunteer waiver already filled, he would have completely forgotten about it. I asked him on the side if he was going to read the required language (those boring 8 points) and he looked at the clip board as if it he'd never seen it before.

But to give him credit, he's only been working in the DPR for 30 years, and attests to really knowing his stuff. Also, he's been inserted into this trail building as a Johnny come lately, and seemed to possess only a vague little idea of the history.

At least four times throughout the day he extolled the virtues of a machine called the Sweco, as if every one there had never heard of one before, and how it could build this trail in a day.

However, we did get some things done. It was the easiest trail day I've ever had though. We always got so much more accomplished with our time.
    Last edited by Sorcerer; 11-10-2012 at 09:24 PM.
    SOrCerer

middle ring single track

Them thar Sweeecos...

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    Hey PL,

Thanks for placing the blue linear metric flags. We used them.

There were 8 volunteers: 4 men, and 4 women. We had two paid staff show up as well.

I'll post photos eventually. But I wanted to give some fresh impressions right away.

As usual, it's a personal scramble to make it to these events, but I made it on time. Given the new rules of engagement, we must have paid staff supervision. So when the new chief shows up over 15 minutes late, paid no less, I am not pleased. Seven volunteers standing around in the cold parking lot, make 15 minutes seem like an hour. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to get them started on unloading the tools we would need, and sending one fit and fast one up to the picnic table with a floor pump (to inflate the sagging innertubes) to bring down the wheelbarrows.

When the new chief arrived, who had declined a month's worth of opportunities to communicate by email, I introduced myself and exchanged pleasantries. He started off on some tangents, which I bore patiently as I could, and then he launched into an explanation of what he wanted to do.

I cut him off right there, and told him he didn't need to tell me what he wanted to do, but in fact, that he needed to actually get out there and do it.

So I wanted to see how a professional does this stuff. It turned out that he wasn't at all properly prepared to lead volunteers. If it weren't for me having the volunteer waiver already filled, he would have completely forgotten about it. I asked him on the side if he was going to read the required language (those boring 8 points) and he looked at the clip board as if it he'd never seen it before.

But to give him credit, he's only been working in the DPR for 30 years, and attests to really knowing his stuff. Also, he's been inserted into this trail building as a Johnny come lately, and seemed to possess only a vague little idea of the history.

At least four times throughout the day he extolled the virtues of a machine called the Sweco, as if every one there had never heard of one before, and how it could build this trail in a day.

However, we did get some things done. It was the easiest trail day I've ever had though. We always got so much more accomplished with our time.
    ...so how far did you get without one? You did start at the bottom and work upward???

(Does he even know there's one available at the park and not very far away?)

After a day at Sanborn with the SCCP trail crew I'm wishing that the County would have gotten Coe park back at that first "park closing" scare. What a difference...
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

Is now still the time?
    "Does he even know there's one [a Sweco] available at the park and not very far away?"

Yes he does.

This content should go on the "JDT Enters Rehab" thread.

From early on, the prospect of having a Sweco excavate the trail way was unrealistic for a few reasons: One, because the only qualified operator in the District had a dislike for operating it; second, because funding was scarce; and third, because active volunteer voices wanted to have a hand built trail. Also, the lower half of the corridor weaves tightly through a blue oak woodland, where at least a dozen trees would've had to have been destroyed. I and some others wanted a trail that would integrate with harmony into the bioscape.

CSP will insist that the trail be wide enough for a quad for emergency access. An argument to provide emergency access will be employed as uncontestable.

The group worked on spots up to the picnic table. The big jobs have to wait for good conditions.

Despite the disappointed tenor of my report, I am pleased. The relationship with staff should get better (can it get worse?). The new guy does have real valuable experience and new knowledge that he wants to share. We've got to smooth out the bumps, widen the bench, bevel the upslope, and complete the switchbacks to standard.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    "
    CSP will insist that the trail be wide enough for a quad for emergency access. An argument to provide emergency access will be employed as uncontestable.
    If your gonna just be making a narrow fireroad, why bother using man power, let the Sweco have at it and let them figure out how to do it.

Other bay area projects that actually are interested in having Bike riders input on trail design would certainly be a better use of your time. They would certainly be appreciative of your work instead of you be considered a pain in there side.
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 11-12-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    If your gonna just be making a narrow fireroad, why bother using man power, let the Sweco have at it and let them fugure out how to do it.
    Agreed that it will be a significant time and sweat sink. Can we quantify it? As I was riding down JDT on Saturday, I noticed one cut was 4 feet above the bench. Trail bench width: 2 feet. That's extreme. It got me thinking about running some numbers on the volume of dirt left for completion. That particular bench is not representative of the whole trail, an outlier, but it would be possible to survey a few samples to generate a work estimate. Maybe that will be a task for the next work day.