Is now still the time?

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Sat, Jan 12, 9am, Hunting Hollow, JDT, Trail Fairies

In cooperation with California State Parks we bring you:

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Sat, Jan 12, 9am, Hunting Hollow, JDT, Trail Fairies

Come join the trail party.

You are cordially invited to lend a hand in trail work at Coe Park.

If you're a hiker, a mountain biker, or a horseback rider, you know that great trails help make great parks. Trails don't just happen though, and many budget-stressed parks (like Coe) rely on volunteers to build new trails and keep old trails open.

SOrCerer

Is now still the time?

Trails Supervisor and Pliebenberg will take over

Dear Friends,

On the afternoon of Wednesday January 9th I received an email from Supervising Ranger Stuart Organo which terminates me from the Henry W. Coe SP uniform volunteer program.

My notice of termination is hereby
    acknowledged.

I am grateful for the kindness and help. Volunteering at Coe park with you is one of the greatest sources of happiness I have ever had. I am proud of your contributions and achievements.

I am very sad to have lost this honor and privilege. It was a pleasure to serve.

May you and the park prosper and be a source of joy. May recreation, and conservation continue to be served in the best proportions.

I especially thank park staff and administration for all the work they do. I really appreciate them.

When you see me on the trail, I will not be in
    uniform. Looking forward to it.

Sincerely,
    Paul Nam
    (formerly V831)

Last edited by Sorcerer; 01-13-2013 at 01:33 AM.
    SOrCerer

NONDURO
    Letís hope they donít go and f**k things all up in your absence.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Slowest Rider
    OK, Paul and... the rest of the story?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Is now still the time?

McCleods and Rocks may break my bones

Last edited by Sorcerer; 01-10-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    SOrCerer

NONDURO
    So, looks like heís pissed since someone else did all the legwork and got the honourable mention while he was sitting on his ass in an office somewhere? Thatís what it sounds like to me.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Slowest Rider
    They appear to not like being called out. Apparently "Liaison" means toting their line.

I'm glad your response was kept generous and respectful, which makes them look even worse, further proving your point.

This parks behavior to one of their most dedicated volunteers who speaks their mind is as upsetting to me as the whole hidden fund thing. Corrupt to the core.

They truly lost a major champion of Henry Coe.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Is now still the time?
    "Fairies wear boots. And you gotta believe me!" - Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath

Last edited by Sorcerer; 01-13-2013 at 01:42 AM.
    SOrCerer

aka dan51
    Paul, it saddens me to hear they gave you the boot. I know how much the park and trail work means to you. I have never met anyone with the dedication to maintaining a park as you. They have lost their greatest volunteer.

On the bright side, that frees you up to work at Demo where you will be greatly appreciated, and you can build all the berms you want.

ps, **** them!
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Paul I think you be much happier now! Go ride and a huge thanks for all your work and passion.

Love Sally
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Looking for love amongst the Banana Slugs

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Call me slow but I'm still trying to understand why you were terminated for the uniform volunteer program. The opinion piece didn't seem to be unreasonable or unfounded. Too bad that a dissenting opinion would be treated that way.

loopy counter
    Sad.

"Don't forget to punch the clock"

middle ring single track

Standards of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Killowatt View Post
    Call me slow but I'm still trying to understand why you were terminated for the uniform volunteer program. The opinion piece didn't seem to be unreasonable or unfounded. Too bad that a dissenting opinion would be treated that way.
    Paul Nam will be deeply missed; my life as an Uniformed Volunteer just got a whole lot more complicated.

If it helps anybody understand here's the "Standards of Conduct" that we agree to follow when seeking to become an Uniformed Volunteer (from the Volunteer Handbook):

Standards Of Conduct

Most people who volunteer for public service are responsible individuals who instinctively know how to conduct themselves properly. Nonetheless, it is important that all volunteers know what is expected of them and their fellow volunteers when they are representing the park.

The success of any public service organization depends on the ability of its representatives to act responsibly and to exercise sound judgment. The application of these skills is the means by which the State Department of Parks and Recreation maintains its highly respected professional image and achieves its primary objectives-namely, the protection of our natural resources and the successful administration of state parks.

Since uniformed volunteers are classified as unpaid state employees, they are expected to con form to basic standards of conduct. If they conduct themselves in a manner that is judged to be improper while they are representing the State Park system, their participation in the uniformed volunteer program may be terminated.

The basic standards of conduct expected of Coe Park uniformed volunteers are listed below.

>Volunteers should always use sound judgment when they communicate with the public. They should avoid any behavior that might give someone an unfavorable impression of the park and its representatives. One thoughtless act or ill-advised statement on the part of a single volunteer may cast doubt on the integrity of all state personnel and can impair public confidence in the State Parks Department.

>Volunteers should keep in mind that they are not park rangers and that they should not attempt to assume the authority of a ranger during contacts with the public. They should let visitors know that they are volunteers.

>Volunteers should always pay attention to visitors when they are present and should be courteous and friendly, even to visitors who are rude or unfriendly. If a visitor comes to you with a complaint, explain to him/her what action you can or cannot take, and report the matter promptly.

>Volunteers should communicate accurate information. If they do not know the answer to a visitor's question, they should simply say so and should not risk giving false information by guessing.

>Volunteers, while on duty, should avoid expressing a personal opinion to the public on a controversial matter. If an opinion is given, it must be made clear that it is strictly a personal opinion and not necessarily the park's position.

>Volunteers must not convey confidential information to any other agency or person without authorization. Confidential information includes such things as crimes and incidents, rescue and accident reports, disciplinary actions, employee grievances, budget proposals, and proposed policy changes. Information provided to the media concerning Department policies or procedures must be approved by the park or regional superintendent (or a designated representative) prior to its release.

>Volunteers should arrive at work on time, be early for hikes and programs, and make schedule changes as far ahead as possible. A volunteer who cannot report for duty is responsible for finding a replacement and notifying park staff.

>Volunteers should wear their uniforms only when they are on duty or when they are officially representing the park.

>Volunteers should avoid standing around in groups talking idly. Visitors are often unaware that we are volunteers and may assume that their tax dollars are being wasted.

>Volunteers must not drink alcohol nor smell of alcohol nor use illegal drugs while they are working.

>Volunteers should watch their language while they are on duty.

>Volunteers should stop their vehicles at the stop sign by the visitor center before proceeding to park.

>Volunteers should obey all park rules.

Note "Since uniformed volunteers are classified as unpaid state employees, they are expected to con form to basic standards of conduct. If they conduct themselves in a manner that is judged to be improper while they are representing the State Park system, their participation in the uniformed volunteer program may be terminated."

They play hardball with this one; 3 strikes (or maybe 2) and you're out---I know from personal experience having been given a warning and reminded of the consequences.

I could say more but then I'd be violating the "Standards"!
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

aka dan51
    This one is gold!
    >Volunteers should avoid standing around in groups talking idly. Visitors are often unaware that we are volunteers and may assume that their tax dollars are being wasted

Instead, get a paid job and sit at your desk doing nothing and be officially wasting taxpayer money.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    This one is gold!
    >Volunteers should avoid standing around in groups talking idly. Visitors are often unaware that we are volunteers and may assume that their tax dollars are being wasted.
    The irony is from what I've heard that's exactly what the rangers supervising work days do, what a joke!

Hopefully this means at last the MTBR/ROMP work days are over and maybe this trail will stay in it's current state for awhile, boycott!!!!!!

I don't think they even realize what they have lost here, my monetary support is certainly coming to an end which was based solely on what Paul was doing out in Coe.

The DPR is so dysfunctional it's unbelievable the whole lot of them (upper Management) should be terminated for making them self's look bad, but I guess that's par for the course for most Government entity's.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It is difficult to believe the Parks Service let Paul go, well somehow it is not. For years I rode at Coe and the relationship with the Parks Service was fantastic. Then something happened and I have no idea what changed but something changed.

The Parks Service definitely lost an incredible resource and it is disheartening to see this happen. I do not think they realize just how many people he got to volunteer. After spending five minutes talking with Paul it seemed people wanted to do trail work. It was incredible. The number of hours and the amount of work that he has done over the years is somewhat staggering especially since he did it as a volunteer. And, the passion for trail work that seemed to come out of him was unparalleled. I know there were and are other people doing quite a bit of work out there but some of them are doing it quietly. With Paul it was continually and openly there.

As far as the not standing around, well when I did see the Park Service guys, mostly they just stood around. Instead of 2 hours of work followed by a 15 minute break they would work for 15 minutes then take a 2 hour break.

Paul Nam the Park Service may not realize this but, Coe will miss your service.

Hereís to sweat in your eye
    MudnCrud
    Last edited by mudncrud; 01-11-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Pathetic. The very first rule of being a volunteer is to "not make us look bad"? Bureaucracy at it's most honest. So they kick out the most insanely over-dedicated volunteer ever!

mtbr member
    Sad indeed - it probably won't help much, but I'm thinking of writing a polite letter or email to Roy Stearns / Vicki Waters (Media Contacts) elaborating how bad these phucking clowns from Monterey District make themselves and the parks look like (in of course, much more polite wording). What do you think, waste of time?

On the plus side, Paul, you now have a lot of time to work on your New Year's resolution (ride more) - consider yourself signed up for the Coe 100 .

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think people should write.
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

mtbr member
    That's it for me. Screw those a$$ holes. Not another cent goes to them from me. Although my volunteer work has been limited lately, it will be non- existent from this point on.

middle ring single track

Chernobyl Mountain Bike Patrol...

...CMBP for short? Well Paul-Sorcerer-Nam's dismissal as a Coe Park's Uniformed Volunteer certainly instigated a meltdown within the ranks. Bridges being burnt... I too was toying with the notion of quitting the whole enchilada in protest. I suppose that's still a possibility...

But Paul had told me that he really wants the CMBP to continue on; so too the Trail Work Days hosted by the Patrol. A quick check was made with John H the Monterey Dist. Trails Svpr. and he was still set to come (nobody had informed him that Paul had been let go until he got my email) and supervise the event. (He showed up even though he was fighting the flu)

As I had expected; I was the only "biker" who showed up---altogether we were a crew of 7. We headed up a frosty Hunting Hollow:

And up the JDT:

Since John was not feeling well we decided to work near the bottom; widening the trial a little bit but mostly cutting the requisite back-slope:

Jodie and Linda have been volunteering at Coe since the last Ice Age; solid, dependable volunteers!:

Fantastic day weather-wise to be at the park!

We dislodged several critters as we cut trail:

This little guy (gal?) was not at all scared of us; it just went about it's business trying to repair its home:

Fortunately we had only taken the roof off the den and did not have to cut any deeper:

We found some bark to cover back over the den with hopes that the mouse (?) could continue its hibernation:

And then Rob sez "hey I found a turtle shell":

Not a very big speciman; it was more than just a shell---a complete hibernating pond turtle:

Same deal; make it a new home and fingers crossed it can continue its hibernation:

Tried to replicate to conditions we found it buried at safely away from the trail:

Some views of the 200 +/- feet we worked on today:

Foreground = before; background = after.
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

Is now still the time?
    First Class Work on a Class 1 trail !

Bitte nicht stŲren die kleinen Tiere.

-----------------------------------

The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the State of California California Department of Resources CA State Parks Dept. of Parks & Rec , or mountain bike review
    Last edited by Sorcerer; 01-13-2013 at 01:47 AM.
    SOrCerer