Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    More pie please

Henry Coe State Park Saturday March 23, 2013 ~~~~~ Dutch’s Trail

I read somewhere that not enough ride reports get posted here, so how about this…

Spring 2013 continues. This week's Coe ride is out to Dutch’s Trail.

Greg/locoyokel, Mike/diskus, and I begin at 8:45am with the Jim Donnelly Trail:

Hikers elect the old Jim Donnelly Trail:

We pedal up and over Willson Peak—the highest point of our ride—and on to Tule Pond:

This PRA guy unidentified individual drove his SUV in to do some fishing here. With a straight face he told us he was on an official mission to find out what kind of fish are in the pond.

Mike rides by the Fish & Game Pond

White Tank Road:

Rose Dam Trail; this is Mike's first ride with a new Deuter Race EXP Air pack which he liked a lot.

Also relatively new is the Tallboy LTc, though it doesn't look LT at this moment. He likes the Tallboy a lot too.

Noon at Pacheco Camp, tent town for the California Conservation Corp crew:

We learned from Maintenance Ranger Eric G. that to avoid a fine from "Water Resources", the Park is having this CCC crew clear out reeds in the spillways of various lakes in the area.

Crossing Mississippi Creek on Coit Road:

1 pm @ County Line Road & Coit Road Mike decides to turn back. Map meeting to puzzle-out the return:

His bailout route has him going out to Mississippi Lake and at the end of the day he’s completed 41.7 miles/7,264' climbing, one of his longest rides ever.

A new fallen pine on Turkey Pond Trail, imagine that:

2pm, we’ve ridden over 20 miles and finally we’re on Dutch's Trail:

Purple flowers, Purple Pond:

More of Greg on Dutch's Trail:

Yellow flowers, Yellowjacket Pond:

At 4pm we reach the Dowdy Ranch Ghost Town:

We got water and had a long rest. Greg convinces me that Dormida/Vasquez is the way to get back to Hunting Hollow. So here we go, starting the Burra Burra Trail:

This seems like the lowest place in the world, the streambed bottom of the Dormida/Vasquez hole:

Riding up Vasquez Road:

photo: Greg

The fence-line is the Park boundary.

Edith Pond on Long Dam Trail:

The sun is setting as we reach the Serpentine rocks near Willson Peak:

…but we have enough daylight to descend Middle Steer Ridge without needing lights (though we had brought them). 7:30pm we are at Hunting Hollow. Plymmer's Valiant is still there and we wonder about his ride…

///Charlie

Ride Profile, just another way to look at the day:

Start at Hunting Hollow » Hunting Hollow Road » Jim Donnelly Trail » Steer Ridge Road » Willson Peak Trail » Grizzly Gulch Trail » Rodeo Pond » Wagon Road » Fish & Game Trail » Coit Road » Coit Lake Perimeter Trail » Coit Dam Road » Willow Ridge Road » White Tank Spring Road » White Tank Spring Trail » Rose Dam Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Pacheco Camp » Coit Road » Pacheco Ridge Road » Phoneline Trail » Coit Road » County Line Road » Turkey Pond Trail » County Line Road » Dutch's Trail » Yellowjacket Trail » Tie Down Trail » North Fork Trail » Kaiser Aetna Road » Dowdy Ranch Visitor Center » Kaiser Aetna Road » Burra Burra Trail » Dormida Trail » Vasquez Road » Long Dam Trail » Wagon Road » Steer Ridge Road » Middle Steer Ridge Trail » Hunting Hollow Road » Hunting Hollow parking. 40.34 miles / 7:50 rolling / 10:46 total time / 9,391' climb

Gilroy:

Cordoza Ridge:

Last edited by Skyline35; 03-31-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Crowd sourced sub-editors
    Long live long rides

~~~
    Beautiful as usual, Charlie! I can't believe I still haven't been out to Coe this Fall/Winter/Spring. Will need to remedy that soon.

mtbr member
    Nice ride report. Any GPS trax you can share for this ride? I'm hoping to get down to Coe in the next few weeks (I'm still a Coe virgin) and it will most likely be a solo affair. Would be great to have a route to plug into my garmin so I don't have to stop every 30 min to break out the big map to confirm that I'm on track.

Question for you Coe experts, help me decide which bike I should bring: Rigid 29er El Mariachi (2x10) which I've done up to 75mi with 10k'; or 26" Mojo Sl (has a triple). Both weigh the same.

How are the ticks out there right now?

mtbr member
    Wonderful photos Charlie and thanks for sharing. I need to make another trip to Coe soon. When can we have the Spring Circus?

More Torque
    Nice write-up and photos, Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by plantdude View Post

Question for you Coe experts, help me decide which bike I should bring: Rigid 29er El Mariachi (2x10) which I've done up to 75mi with 10k'; or 26" Mojo Sl (has a triple). Both weigh the same.

Take the Mojo for your first time out; you'll appreciate the suspension and gearing.

Ticks seem to be moderate this year. If you take any of the singletrack, you need to check frequently, especially if you visit Cross Canyon or Kelly Cabin Canyon.

-D

middle ring single track

Great photos...

...as always; Charley!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    I read somewhere that not enough ride reports get posted here, so how about this…

Edith Pond on Long Dam Trail:

FWIW that's Long Dam Pond on Long Dam Trail (go figure!); Edith Pond is that little round puddle about 1/4 mile north. (Maybe you knew that and posted up the wrong photo?)

Also FWIW I don't recognize that volunteer doing the "fish study" but chances are he did have authorization to be where he was---but I'm pretty sure the Park already knows what kind of fish are in that pond.

RE Tule Removal; Park Staff wanted to do a much more encompassing tule abatement for visitor recreational access but could only get permission from the 'ologists to clear the spillway areas of the major lakes. (To keep the Army Corps of Engineers happy) There'll be a volunteer-staffed tule removal extravaganza later on this year.
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

loopy counter
    9,391' climb
    There goes another kitten. And so close too.

Slowest Rider
    Nice ride report. Any GPS trax you can share for this ride? I'm hoping to get down to Coe in the next few weeks (I'm still a Coe virgin) and it will most likely be a solo affair. Would be great to have a route to plug into my garmin so I don't have to stop every 30 min to break out the big map to confirm that I'm on track.

Not shown: Brutal matches the Beauty on this ride.
    This trip is near max pain that very few riders can do.

Anyone not yet ridden in Herny Coe might want to start out with shorter rides first to gain experience. For instance: learning how the very steep climbs can sap your energy, that 0' climb through stream beds is worse effort than a climb, and what water filters to bring and where to find water. Also, for solo rides there, I carry a SPOT transmitter for emergencies. There's little reception way out there for anything but satellite.

In my trip at Henry Coe a couple weeks ago, we had essentially no ticks even on the singletrack. Only one of four riders got one tick, that was flicked off.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 03-25-2013 at 07:37 PM.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    Not shown is the Brutal matches the Beauty on this ride. This is near max pain that very few riders can do.

Anyone not yet ridden in Herny Coe might want to start out with shorter rides first to gain experience. For instance, learning how the very steep climbs can sap your energy, and what water filters to bring and where to find water. Also, for solo rides there, I carry a SPOT transmitter for emergencies. There's little reception way out there for anything but satellite.

In my trip at Henry Coe a couple weeks ago, we had essentially no ticks even on the singletrack. Only one of four riders got one tick, that was flicked off.
    Thanks for the advice and recs.; still looking for a GPS trax, from this or a similar ride...

Big Larry, thanks for the Coe words of caution. I fully grasp the remoteness and steepness of climbing. Having done a ton of steep climbing, on a bike, in crampons, on a rock face, or on foot - I'm not one to shy away from it. In fact, I rather enjoy it in the same way one might enjoy big surf: you have to get over/through it in order to get further out...

Slowest Rider
    Having done a ton of steep climbing, on a bike, in crampons, on a rock face, or on foot - I'm not one to shy away from it. In fact, I rather enjoy it in the same way one might enjoy big surf: you have to get over/through it in order to get further out...
    Oh... you're going to love Henry Coe.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member

This seems like the lowest place in the world, the streambed bottom of the Dormida/Vasquez hole:

This is one of the few places in Coe I have very little desire for to go see again .
    What kind of shape is Dutch's in? (in terms of overgrown-ness)

Thanks by the way for posting another awesome Skyline35 ride report™, and bonus kudos for the descent into the Vasquez hellhole!

More Torque
    Thanks for the advice and recs.; still looking for a GPS trax, from this or a similar ride...

Big Larry, thanks for the Coe words of caution. I fully grasp the remoteness and steepness of climbing. Having done a ton of steep climbing, on a bike, in crampons, on a rock face, or on foot - I'm not one to shy away from it. In fact, I rather enjoy it in the same way one might enjoy big surf: you have to get over/through it in order to get further out...
    Do you have the official park map? Critical if you want to explore beyond the front country, even if you have a GPS. The "plastic" version is worth the couple of extra bucks.

-D

Is now still the time?
    The map can be used like a small tarp too. Put it under the front your jersey folded to your size for that unexpectedly cold end of day descent. Or make your emergency bivouac with it - oh, but you won't need to if you have the map.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre View Post
    What kind of shape is Dutch's in? (in terms of overgrown-ness)
    Dutch's is getting somewhat overgrown. Not at all bad compared to "real overgrown" trails, but it's gone from fast to fairly slow, with a few spots of very slow shoving-brush-aside riding. I definitely should have switched to full finger gloves.

Dormida is in great shape as far as brushing (Charlie said thanks to Paul L.?) with some nice fast sections (except for a couple downed trees), not including the last 100 yards to the creek (some downed trees, not sure which way to go, etc). I rode the whole thing (bit dicey around one downed tree) but came out a few feet upstream from the trail marker. But that last section is so steep that even if it's clear it's not much faster.

Yeah, the Vasquez Hole is not a spot that people often seek at the end of the ride...but since the alternative is Center-Not-Even-Slightly-Flat-Flats road, it's nice to hit now and then.

If either of us had known we were that close to 10K we probably would have gone up JDT and down Spike/Timm! Although I have a history of running into skunks on Spike/Timm at night...

Ariolimax columbianus
    do you know if the fisherman at tule pond caught anything? i've fished it once and didn't get anything. awesome shots, that's pretty burly.

middle ring single track

The ravine of the sleeping???

Methinks "sleeping" = "dead"

Could also mean "Cattle trail of the sleeping"; no matter, Canada de la Dormida is one of the more romantic-sounding place names in Coe SP

Quote Originally Posted by locoyokel View Post
    Dutch's is getting somewhat overgrown. Not at all bad compared to "real overgrown" trails, but it's gone from fast to fairly slow, with a few spots of very slow shoving-brush-aside riding. I definitely should have switched to full finger gloves.

Dormida is in great shape as far as brushing (Charlie said thanks to Paul L.?) with some nice fast sections (except for a couple downed trees), not including the last 100 yards to the creek (some downed trees, not sure which way to go, etc). I rode the whole thing (bit dicey around one downed tree) but came out a few feet upstream from the trail marker. But that last section is so steep that even if it's clear it's not much faster.
    RE Dormida brushing I was there but I had plenty of company; all the usual suspects (this was from 2 years ago so if it's still clear we must have done a pretty good job!) from the then Coe Mountain Bike Patrol:

Knobs and Plymmer take center stage flanked by Philip and tjhspapa

RE Dutch's Trail there may be a mid-week Trail Work opportunity because of the upcoming Back Country Weekend. Volunteers would be ferried by truck to the top of Dutch's, picked up at the bottom by Hole-in-the-Wall. If there's enough interest I'll see what I can do to make this happen. Looks like a stop at Turkey Pond Trail might also be in order.
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    do you know if the fisherman at tule pond caught anything? i've fished it once and didn't get anything. awesome shots, that's pretty burly.
    FWIW I've seen bass (not very big) in Tule Pond; I need to try fishing there myself (Tour de Fishing Holes?)

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre View Post
    …Thanks by the way for posting another awesome Skyline35 ride report™…
    Well, thank you for the opening sentence (which I stole from your Coe Montercross Monstercross thread)! Once you have that, the rest of the story just falls out.

///Charlie
    Last edited by Skyline35; 03-27-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Crowd sourced sub-editors
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah Paul, that fisherman said that they thought it was bass in there but wanted to confirm. He said all he'd seen were loads of turtles.

Thanks to everyone for doing such a great job on brushing Dormida!

I'd help brush Dutch's but not on a weekday. My favorite kind of brushing - no poison oak!

Turkey Pond only has 4 trees down, 3 of which would be easily removed with an 8" saw. Two of them are right next to County Line Road (literally in the first 50' from the road). Since that's Roy's favorite trail he'll probably bring the Kangasaw out there for the one bigger one (in the photo) - it's much smaller than several of the big ones he's cleared from that trail in the recent past!

Is now still the time?
    LOL "Coe Montercross"!
    SOrCerer

middle ring single track

Noon at Pacheco Camp, tent town for the California Conservation Corp crew:

We learned from Maintenance Ranger Eric G. that to avoid a fine from "Water Resources", the Park is having this CCC crew clear out reeds in the spillways of various lakes in the area.
    This just in; our tax dollars at work (and I don't mean that sarcastically):
    Henry Coe State Park Saturday March 23, 2013 ~~~~~ Dutch’s Trail-coit-day-1.jpg
    CCC at Coit Lake spillway. (Before) This project was a long time in the planning stage.
    Henry Coe State Park Saturday March 23, 2013 ~~~~~ Dutch’s Trail-coit4.jpg
    More of same. (After) Notice the life preserver and the 2-man crew on the bank! (Very thorough from the "life and safety" aspect of this project) I'm not sure what the guy(s) in the boat was doing?
    Henry Coe State Park Saturday March 23, 2013 ~~~~~ Dutch’s Trail-miss2.jpg
    CCC at Mississippi Lake. Somehow these images remind me of the Dilbert comic strip "Elbonia"!

Thanks to Susan Ferry of CSP Resources for the photos (used without permission but they should be in the public domain as they are of a taxpayer-sponsored activity)

I had signed up as a volunteer for this project hence my access to the photos; as it turned out the volunteers were to be stationed at the "unloading site" (Hoover Lake Airstrip where they'll be composted or burned)---then it was learned that the CSP was using dump trucks to transport the tule refuse so our labor became a moot point. And BTW; we didn't have "wader training" so we couldn't join in with the C's for the removal portion of the project.

I guess that when the all-volunteer group has the tule-removal session later this year we'll all be doing it in the nude to avoid the "wader training" requirement
    The C's were manually cutting the cattails with some sort of machete-like device; we'll be using powered weed-whackers if all goes according to plan.

Is now still the time?

Tules

Thanks for the insight Paul. On Sunday after climbing onto Willow Ridge Rd from X-Cyn and resting, we saw a dump truck piled with refuse from Kelly Lake go by.

After that we rode around Coit Lake's western shore. The lakeside trail is in the most excellent condition ever.

I've been doing some single-speed rides in Coe. Jim Donnelly Trail has created a single-speed portal into Coe! I should start a single-speed Coe thread here one day.

one more thing...

When the Tules are cut below the waterline they will die off. Otherwise they will not die. If the waterline drops, as is expected at this time of the year, the tules will grow back. Let's hope we get a ton of rain! Otherwise much of the practical aspect of this work will be significantly offset. However, it is worth noting, the observance of this protocol will satisfy the law.

The end of the dry season, low water, is the right time to do this job, not spring.
    Last edited by Sorcerer; 03-27-2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Detail
    SOrCerer

mtbr member

Awesome ride Charlie.

Made it to Coe this week for the first time in forever. Did a "bikepacking lite" trip with the lady. We rode into Ridge View camp about a mile from HQ. Nice spot. I took a backpacking pack loaded with my camelback and all other supplies and she took her camelback and we strapped our sleeping backs to our bars. Glad I only had to ride a mile that way, need to get more weight on the bike to do a longer trip and still function later!

Did Middle Ridge loop with a hike down the creek to avoid the unpleasant climb out of Poverty Flat. The area in the burn has lots of nice flowers.

Only one tick.

Felt great to get back in Coe! Hope to return again this year before the heat sets in

drew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Hurray for Coe ride reports! My jaw still on the ground that you actually chose to go down Dormida and up Vasquez instead of finding yourself there by accident

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    Hurray for Coe ride reports!
    Yes, hurray! I'm looking forward to your Monstercross report. Ha, no pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    My jaw still on the ground that you actually chose to go down Dormida and up Vasquez instead of finding yourself there by accident
    The new bike is a lot easier to push up hills than my old one so I figured "why not?"

^^^Wilder Ranch, btw
    Long live long rides

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast