• 01-14-2013
    Leopold Porkstacker
    Henry Coe Saturday Jan 19th 9:30-10:00AM Hunting Hollow entrance
    BE THERE!!!

    Comments/suggestions on planned route are welcomed. Hopefully some of you “Coe regulars” (you know who you are!) can make it. In fact, Plymmer was the one who suggested a 10:00AM start time (as in START time—bike wheels rolling—not “show up” time).

    Come prepared. Bring food, water, layers of clothing—it could be really cold in places, and also quite warm in other places. Not sure if water purifiers would be necessary, but I’ll probably bring mine just in case.

    This ride will not end up being as big of a ride as the HardCoere100, but there is the potential to get 5,000 – 8,000 feet of climbing in the course of the day, perhaps even more!!!

    So. Who will show up?

    Oh yeah, and bring $6 for park use fees, exact change please.

    Oh, oh, oh—and—would help to know how to get there, yes? Snagged from El Hombre’s HardCoeRe100.com website:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hunti...ollow&t=m&z=15
  • 01-14-2013
    grumblingcrustacean
    Tempted, pending wife approval.

    Rough distance, time, and footies would be good to know. Options for cutting out shorter if others are going longer?

    -j
  • 01-14-2013
    Leopold Porkstacker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    Rough distance, time, and footies would be good to know. Options for cutting out shorter if others are going longer?

    Folks like Plymmer, Plienberg, Diesel, Sorcerer, Skyline35, El Hombre, etc. are better at these planning things than I am (I hope they can chime in), those guys seem to know Coe inside and out. I’ve got a large map of Coe down in my garage that I think I can use to come up with a rough draft of the day’s planned course though. I’d say plan on doing at least 20 miles, and if we start out via Lyman-Wilson (recommended for a proper warmup :madmax:) then you’ll be seeing some serious footies within just a few short miles.
  • 01-15-2013
    grumblingcrustacean
    I'll wait to see potential routes.

    I've been babying my back a bit since my last Kennedy Ride since it was a bit pissed off w/o stretching. If the route chosen has a reasonable cutoff and I can get the day away (usually possible -- "um, I don't have to deal with you? YES PLEASE"), I am game.

    It's early in the season, I've ridden Coe twice and love it, but also fear it :)

    -j
  • 01-15-2013
    pliebenberg
    Lyman Wilson, Good Plan...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I’d say plan on doing at least 20 miles, and if we start out via Lyman-Wilson (recommended for a proper warmup :madmax:) then you’ll be seeing some serious footies within just a few short miles.

    ...by the time you get to Willson Camp you'll have a good feeling for trail conditions. As of today the Jim Donnelly was unseasonably muddy due to freezing; unless it gets significantly warmer before the weekend it may stay that way. The JDT possibly should be avoided.
    http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/...3/P1140004.jpg

    http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/...3/P1140009.jpg
    Thanks to the weather the trail is softer now than it was just after the rains.

    http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/...3/P1140017.jpg
    Some places it was best just to get off the bike and carry it.

    http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/...3/P1140002.jpg
    SB8s were not a good choice for today! In some places riders even with aggressive knobs were spinning out.

    Trails on the north side of ridges are remaining frozen all day and other than being crunchy are quite ride-able. The areas of thawing is where you'll need to beware of runny poo poo!

    If I get a chance I'll try to get out there later in the week and file another ride report.
  • 01-15-2013
    ElHombre
    some ideas
    I'm not sure I can make it, and I'm not sure you should listen to me when I make route suggestions ;), but it may be interesting to go check out some flowing water; Hole-in-the-rock and Pacheco Falls come to mind... google Agua Extrema Coe ride or Coe Spring Classic ride (though it may be a bit early in the season for optimal effect with these).
  • 01-15-2013
    ratpick
    Since returning from NZ I'm itching for some Coe goodness and it looks like this weekend is free! So count me in!

    This is a 10K, right?
  • 01-15-2013
    plymmer
    No, It's a 20K
    Conditions look scary indeed. Thanks for the ride report Paul. Slushy mess. I think the best bet is to start up Lyman Willson, I agree with you there Brett. From there we can pick a route. Maybe head directly to Pacheco Falls and decide from there? The water flow should be amazing.

    Although I know the park very well, I always thought that Charlie (Skyline35) is the best at coming up with routes. I wonder if he might be up for the ride? Charlie?

    Roy.
  • 01-15-2013
    Leopold Porkstacker
    LOL, 20k! :lol: Not in this extreme cold stuff!

    So, looks like we have, so far:

    • Leopold Porkstacker
    • Plymmer
    • Ratpick
    • CrumblingGrustracean awaiting wifey approval
    • Plienberg?
    • ElHombre?
    • Skyline35?
    • Mboldt?

    Would be a good number for a group.
  • 01-15-2013
    mboldt
    Should be able to make it!
  • 01-15-2013
    pliebenberg
    Plienybird???
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    LOL, 20k! :lol: Not in this extreme cold stuff!

    So, looks like we have, so far:

    • Leopold Porkstacker
    • Plymmer
    • Ratpick
    • CrumblingGrustracean awaiting wifey approval
    • Plienberg?
    • ElHombre?
    • Skyline35?
    • Mboldt?

    Would be a good number for a group.

    OK spellcheck won't help you any but sheesh!

    Anywhoo Mrs pliebenberg is having her birthday on Saturday so I won't be able to join in; plus your lofty goals would kill me---I'm not in the same league! Plus If I did go that would 5x in one week at Coe; I think if you go to Coe more than 3 times a week it's suggested that you seek counseling. Or if one does more than 5k and 30 miles...

    From today:
    http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/...3/P1150002.jpg
    Frozen in time; marks of where I spun out yesterday on a nearly level section of the JDT---somebody else had made it a couple feet further.

    http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/...3/P1150003.jpg
    A look at my "ride" for today!

    http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/...3/P1150004.jpg
    Frozen trail had good footing and traction; this is a little after 9:00 AM.

    http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/...3/P1150005.jpg
    Exact same spot at noon after a few hours of sunshine!

    http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/...3/P1150006.jpg
    I'm so glad you came up with "runny poo poo"; best thing I've heard all week...

    Anyway; I find it fun in a challenging way to ride in these conditions---only downside is that it's tearing up the trail.
  • 01-15-2013
    Leopold Porkstacker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    OK spellcheck won't help you any but sheesh!

    The funny thing is, all this time, I thought I was reading “plienberg”, somehow completely missing the first “b”. :blush: Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    Frozen in time; marks of where I spun out yesterday on a nearly level section of the JDT---somebody else had made it a couple feet further.

    It would appear as though the more loosely-spaced lugs of the Kenda Slant Six are more appropriate for such conditions than the Small Block Eight.
  • 01-15-2013
    Skyline35
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by plymmer View Post
    No, It's a 20K

    Conditions look scary indeed. Thanks for the ride report Paul. Slushy mess. I think the
    best bet is to start up Lyman Willson, I agree with you there Brett. From there we can
    pick a route. Maybe head directly to Pacheco Falls and decide from there? The water
    flow should be amazing.

    Although I know the park very well, I always thought that Charlie (Skyline35) is the best
    at coming up with routes. I wonder if he might be up for the ride? Charlie?

    Roy.

    Hi Roy,

    You know I was sick and off the bike for a while...not sure of my current fitness level so
    something modest for me on Saturday. Maybe a trip out to descend the Willow Ridge
    Trail; that’s a fun single-track which I don’t think Dan, Shiloh, and Peter have ridden
    before (?). 3 to 4k climbing.

    Roy, you can come up with a long route for your group. A couple ideas. Ride to every
    waterfall in Coe. Or like we talked about a couple weeks ago, a Polar Bear version of the
    Tour de Swimholes

    ///Charlie
  • 01-15-2013
    Sorcerer
    Hey,

    I'm probably in! Going up Lyman is a good idea to start with. The Hollow will probably be frozen at 10am to make the mud firm. Then the steep stuff stays drier on Lyman combined of course with the southern exposure. But Bowl is a mess after that, so then you can skip Bowl and go Lyman Direct to the summit and then book on down to Grizzly Gulch on the Willson Peak Trail. Oh oh, the steepest climb in the heck to start with.

    Scratch that?! It'll be drying out all week from the looks of things. Conditions may be super. Okay so bail out on Bowl and option to the peak.

    From inside Grizzly climb Tule Pond Trail or stay on Wagon Rd to save energy and time. Goal to ride the ridges to the top of Willow Ridge Trail. So you ride Wagon to the Kelly repeater and take the Crest Trail to Willow Ridge Rd, ride the airstrip and Hoover Lake Trail, and on to Willow Ridge descent. Then return on the Mahoney Wall, Lost Spring, and the Grapevine-Anza-Coit-Gilroy Hot Springs Rd.
  • 01-16-2013
    plymmer
    Polar Swimming
    How 'bout we do a "tour de hypothermia"? Nothing like swimming in ice.

    Charlie, you kin bail out when you need to.

    I think staying on the ridges is the most clever thing.

    See you at 10 Saturday.

    Roy.
  • 01-16-2013
    d-bug
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    Hi Roy,

    You know I was sick and off the bike for a while...not sure of my current fitness level so
    something modest for me on Saturday. Maybe a trip out to descend the Willow Ridge
    Trail; that’s a fun single-track which I don’t think Dan, Shiloh, and Peter have ridden
    before (?). 3 to 4k climbing.

    Roy, you can come up with a long route for your group. A couple ideas. Ride to every
    waterfall in Coe. Or like we talked about a couple weeks ago, a Polar Bear version of the
    Tour de Swimholes

    ///Charlie

    Shiloh is out for Saturday, and when I saw the list of attendees decided I was out as well. No effing way can I keep up, unless we're going down.

    Sunday will be our day to ride. Some of you can use it as a 20K recovery ride...
  • 01-16-2013
    ratpick
    Lest anyone take me seriously, I'm not up for anything epic. I've done quite a bit of riding but even more eating and beer drinking while down under the past 3 weeks so I'm up for something slow and social.

    And warm... supposed to hit 68 in Gilroy, presumably warmer in Coe. Once we get riding, it should be fantastic.
  • 01-16-2013
    tosa
    What's the estimated time/elevation for the ride? Would there be a bailout 2-3 hours into the route?
  • 01-16-2013
    ratpick
    OT but Coe-related.. I graphed every trail I've ridden/hiked in Coe since I started riding there in 2008.. is cool. Plymmer's would be way more complete!

    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-X...0/ridescoe.JPG
  • 01-16-2013
    pliebenberg
    I respect...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    OT but Coe-related.. I graphed every trail I've ridden in Coe since I started riding there in 2008.. is cool. Plymmer's would be way more complete!

    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-X...0/ridescoe.JPG

    ...ratpick's "civil disobedience" of riding in Coe's Orestimba Wilderness Area; I too wish bikes had access there. But I don't want any neophytes glancing at this map and coming away with the impression that the stuff in the NE quarter is open to bikes.

    Get a real park map for the boundaries.

    There's a small chance that you could fight a citation for riding Red Creek Road (wilderness areas can't have roads therefore Red Creek Road is not part of the wilderness would be the argument) but Robison Creek, Chaparral and Hartmann Trails are definitely off limits. Alquist and Orestimba Creek Trails appear to be outside of the Wilderness but are posted nonetheless.

    Maybe the potential fine is a small price of admission to a wonderful area???
  • 01-16-2013
    Diesel~
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    ...ratpick's "civil disobedience" of riding in Coe's Orestimba Wilderness Area; I too wish bikes had access there. But I don't want any neophytes glancing at this map and coming away with the impression that the stuff in the NE quarter is open to bikes.

    Get a real park map for the boundaries.

    There's a small chance that you could fight a citation for riding Red Creek Road (wilderness areas can't have roads therefore Red Creek Road is not part of the wilderness would be the argument) but Robison Creek, Chaparral and Hartmann Trails are definitely off limits. Alquist and Orestimba Creek Trails appear to be outside of the Wilderness but are posted nonetheless.

    Maybe the potential fine is a small price of admission to a wonderful area???

    Awesome backpacking in the Orestimba...can't wait to get back there this spring, with all of this water.

    -D
  • 01-16-2013
    ratpick
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    ...ratpick's "civil disobedience" of riding in Coe's Orestimba Wilderness Area; I too wish bikes had access there. But I don't want any neophytes glancing at this map and coming away with the impression that the stuff in the NE quarter is open to bikes.

    Oh.. the tool has no way to differentiate between rides and hikes.. just pulls in everything!
  • 01-17-2013
    grumblingcrustacean
    I'm out. The wife has other plans.
  • 01-17-2013
    Leopold Porkstacker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by greaneto View Post
    Rough distance, time, and footies would be good to know. http://webcardid.com/apple/images/a15

    (pulling numbers out of thin air):

    D: 30 - 40
    T: 4 - 8 hours (including resting)
    F: 4,000 - 10,000 (depending on bailout options)
  • 01-17-2013
    Sorcerer
    Coe Rules
    Homework

    Let:

    D = Distance (mi)
    T = Time (min)
    C = Climbing (ft)
    B = British thermal units of energy consumed
    W = Water consumed (oz)
    T = Temperature on average (f)
    F = Effort



    If:

    (C x D/T) / (W/T x B) = F

    D = 34
    T = 6
    C = 6500
    B = 4762
    W = 90
    T = 58

    Solve for F

    or just stay home and get drunk.

    http://cdn0.theroar.com.au/wp-conten...inking_gam.jpg