Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Henry Coe Fall Circus - Saturday October 16

It's almost time to ride Henry Coe again.
    I propose we have our HCFC on Saturday October 16.
    Dan and Charlie: does this work for you?
    Any preference for HQ (Middle Ridge/China Hole loop) or HH (Anza/Jackson and beyond)?
    Also known as Menso's dad.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    It's almost time to ride Henry Coe again.
    I propose we have our HCFC on Saturday October 16.
    Dan and Charlie: does this work for you?
    Any preference for HQ (Middle Ridge/China Hole loop) or HH (Anza/Jackson and beyond)?
    HH is best for 3 reasons:
    1. end the ride on a downhill
    2. huge parking lot
    3. better trails IMO

I have no idea if the date is good. Shiloh will probably have something planned for me that I've already forgotten about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am game for either one. Its been ages since I rode out at Coe. I need a refresher!

Anyone riding Coe before then? I could use a riding partner.

I typically ride 25 miles in 2hrs45min with 4500ft climbing. Not sure what that translates into at Coe as far as trails go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I typically ride 25 miles in 2hrs45min with 4500ft climbing. Not sure what that translates into at Coe as far as trails go.
    Easy - it translates into fewer miles and more time for the same footies....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Kind of like Skeggs in that regard then?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    As far as climbing, I always think of Skeggs as normal, and Coe as hard.

But actually there are some pretty mellow Coe rides - Coit to Domino/Cattle Duster/Grapevine/Anza...and let's see...uhhh....yep, that's about it.

190lbs of climber
    You do know that the 16th is collegiate nationals weekend at Northstar? XC Friday, ST and 4X Saturday, DH Sunday.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    I think that I am game. I will join Dan51 and Charlie.

Spin-stabilized
    In!
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

I like mtn biking, too
    Things to know about Coe for the un-initiated: (from my experiences there)

1) Looking at the map and picking as many trails marked as "singletrack" as possible will probably get you into a route-finding/cross-country scrambling ordeal, as many of these are not used much and can be completely overgrown.
    2) The fire roads are not any easier, as they tend to have quite impossibly steep grades.
    3) Wear good walking shoes
    4) Bring more water than you think you are going to need - (preferably, hydrate for a day or 2 beforehand) - planning to use your water filter to refill your pack in late autumn is an unreliable plan (at least, in drought years all the creeks were dry - this year may be different)
    5) To enjoy Coe, you need to be up for a little adventuring, and expect it to be harder than it seems from the route descriptions. (See "Coe-efficient" mentioned by Stripes) Just don't expect a casual spin at your usual pace through a suburban park that sees a lot of regular usage (like most of what we ride). It is more exploratory/wilderness-ish.

That being said, luckily the routes chosen for the Circus will be well-scoped-out ones chosen by Coe-aficionados, and not me just looking at a map going "Ooooh, that looks good!".

This sounds like fun! I will try to make it - it's on my calendar, but can't guarantee it.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Were just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic
    Things to know about Coe...
    You forgot the night skulking tarantulas, sock eating thorns, skin penetrating thistles, and blood sucking ticks.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs
    You forgot the night skulking tarantulas, sock eating thorns, skin penetrating thistles, and blood sucking ticks.
    And poison oak.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Collegiate Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    You do know that the 16th is collegiate nationals weekend at Northstar? XC Friday, ST and 4X Saturday, DH Sunday.
    I forgot about the Collegiate Nationals. I'd like to watch the races again. Maybe October 30 is a better day for the HCFC? We could also have one out of HH on Oct 16 and one out of HQ on Oct 30.
    I do like these HQ route options:
    9am A ride: Flat Frog, Middle Ridge, Poverty Flat, Jackass, Blue Ridge, etc
    10am B ride: Flat Frog, Middle Ridge, Poverty Flat, Shaver Corral, Narrows, Mahoney Meadows, etc
    11am C ride: Flat Frog, Middle Ridge, Creek Side, China Hole, Manzanita

loopy counter
    HQ on Oct 30.
    Great. Everyone can join the trail work: http://www.coepark.org/trailwork.html#earth_day

Spin-stabilized
    I forgot about the Collegiate Nationals. I'd like to watch the races again. Maybe October 30 is a better day for the HCFC? We could also have one out of HH on Oct 16 and one out of HQ on Oct 30.
    I do like these HQ route options:
    9am A ride: Flat Frog, Middle Ridge, Poverty Flat, Jackass, Blue Ridge, etc
    10am B ride: Flat Frog, Middle Ridge, Poverty Flat, Shaver Corral, Narrows, Mahoney Meadows, etc
    11am C ride: Flat Frog, Middle Ridge, Creek Side, China Hole, Manzanita
    2 HCFCs, nice! I can't make it to the one on the 30th though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs
    Sounds like my kind of party... I'll see if I can make it.

Chris

mtbr member
    I can't make it on 30th either.

Feeling a little taller
    As it turns out Oct 16 is the NorCal league coaches summit. Hmmmmmm...responsibilty......
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Slowest Rider
    On Oct 16, I'll be on a plane towards Chicago, where I'll peddle lasers to docs.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Both dates good for me!

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    I'll sweep the C/D ride. And no, I'm not joking.

I'd prefer a Hunting Hollow based ride, but I'll do HQ if the masses insist.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

he who goes without food
    I would lead a C but HH only

Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    No matter what date you pick there will be something going on. I'm in for the 16th and would be happy to help guide folks although Dan thinks I can't find my way out of a paper bag.

Charlie took me out for a ride yesterday at Coe and it did not disappoint. Kelly Cabin Creek Trail or whatever it is called was super fun.

I know there will be plenty of discussion about routes but let's talk important stuff - food! Last year I think I brought a cabbage salad that you all devoured, to my great surprise. More cabbage?

Yay Coe!
    Can we talk tires now?

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law
    ... but let's talk important stuff - food!
    This year's Henry Coe Spring Circus was the first Circus I attended, and I was totally crushed when I rolled back to the parking lot and did not see BBQ! Yeah, I'll be watching the food talk...
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

Natural body armor
    The 16th doesn't work for me. The 30th is ok.
    Been trying to make this ride for the last 3 years...
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law
    ... Dan thinks I can't find my way out of a paper bag.
    It depends on the tires you're running!

I'm down for the 30th.

default title
    Mar 2008
    noob (especially when it comes to coe), looking for a D, I've infrequently hiked coe. I'll lurk again, waiting for firmer details to see if they would work for me.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    I'm going to try and make it out for this one. Never been to Coe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    OK, we'll have two Coe rides:
    Oct 16 Dan, Charlie, Mike will lead rides out of Hunting Hollow.
    Oct 30 we'll do the Middle Ridge/China Hole loop out of Coe HQ.

That's more than a month away. Plenty of time for some pre-rides to find the best route.

- J.L.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm in for 16th, upto 25ish miles 3,000 ft climbing. Anymore than that not someone will have to pull me in. I did the one two years ago with the shuttle but missed last yr. And now I live in Marin so never get down to Coe.

mtbr member
    25mi=6Kft of climbing at Coe

I like mtn biking, too
    just going over my gps data... the HQ - middle ridge - lost spring - china hole route is around 18 miles, 4400',so yeah 25 mile = 6000' is probably about right.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Were just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

aka dan51
    B ride will be about 25 miles and 4000+ feet of climbing. Add in the Coe factor and it feels like 6000. For comparison, doing 25 miles at Demo will also net about 4000+ feet of climbing, but it feels way less miserable.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Is there a C ride?

mtbr member
    I'm in, didn't make it last year and have been kicking myself ever since. I'm up for either date and would be up for leading a C-, D ride out of HH
    Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come

mtbr member
    Henry W. Coe 2nd Saturday Trail Work meets this Saturday, October 9th, at Hunting Hollow at 9am. We will be working on the Hoover Lake Trail. Details will be posted on the MTBR Norcal Forum Tuesday evening.

We need volunteers! Come on down!

Also Knobs mentioned the trail day on Oct. 30. We just discussed this at a trail meeting this evening. On Oct. 30 we will be working on the Frog Lake Trail. We are applying to get the trail opened back to multi-use, and opened to bikes. Volunteering helps! The section we need to fix is the short section that climbs up to the dam of Frog Lake, and to the camp-site. This section of trail has become an erosional mess. Thanks Knobs!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

HH on 10/16

OK, we'll have two Coe rides:
    Oct 16 Dan, Charlie, Mike will lead rides out of Hunting Hollow.
    Oct 30 we'll do the Middle Ridge/China Hole loop out of Coe HQ.

That's more than a month away. Plenty of time for some pre-rides to find the best route.

- J.L.
    Just rode Coe this past weekend out of Hunting Hollow. I have no idea what all the trails were as my buddy was leading the ride. All I recall is Anza, Kelly Lake, Coit Lake , Cross Canyon...and single track through crazy rock gardens near the end, brutal fire road climbing at the beginning, steep descents to Kelly lake, etc. Good times! 2hrs30min and about 20 miles. I have no idea what the climbing total was but it felt like around 4,000 ft but steep in parts. Thankfully the temps were low 70's.

What's the plan for the HH ride on 10/16? Whats the start time?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Is there a ride still happening this Saturday (Oct 16th) out of HH? Details?

Silence! I kill you!
    I was hoping to make it out to the ride, but since I got a concussion in my hockey game last week I'm out
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    I was thinking about making this one, but I signed up for the Knickerbocker 50. Maybe next spring.

More pie please

B ride is ON

Quote Originally Posted by MTBpurist
    Is there a ride still happening this Saturday (Oct 16th) out of HH? Details?
    Don't know that this will qualify as a Circus, but Dan, Shiloh, and I will do the B route on
    Saturday. Something like Anza/Jackson/Elderberry Kelly Lake Kelly Cabin/Cross
    Canyon. By the time we climb up Cross Canyon, most want to bail in which case we can
    descent Grapevine and go back to the cars (that's about 20 miles and 4k). Or go for a bit
    more... Pace = relaxed. Saturday forecast is "Sunny Hi 83 F" with sunset about
    6:30pm. Meet 9am, roll 9:30am (same as last year) at Hunting Hollow (parking fee = $6):

A, C, D rides anyone want to play Tour Guide for a day? Knobs, you leading the F ride ???

///Charlie

p.s. MTBpurist - I recall that you skipped the Skeggs Purisima ride because it involved riding
    on the road. Please know that the B route has 4 miles of public road.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35
    Don't know that this will qualify as a Circus, but Dan, Shiloh, and I will do the B route on
    Saturday.
    Yup, we'll be there. I hope to have enough energy to drop all of Domino>CattleDuster>Grapevine. Or maybe even head over to Middle STEER Ridge.
    83 is gonna be a hot one though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That sounds exactly like the loop I rode a few weeks ago (20 miler). I have no issue doing that short bit of pavement. Lets hope it stays in the 70's and we have better air quality! Its Spare the Air tomorrow. I can taste the pollution in the air and my lungs are feeling it right now.

Spin-stabilized
    I'm in on the B ride as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    They're lowering the forecast high for Saturday, Gilroy high is forecast at 73 and if you point click on the Hunting Hollow parking lot they are forecasting 77 (and that's the low point of the ride). Sure to still be warm in the sun, but not too bad!

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I have to bail - had a bad crash last Sat, all right arm is road rash.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by poff
    Unfortunately I have to bail - had a bad crash last Sat, all right arm is road rash.
    Damn !!!

I hate road rash. I read this: http://velonews.competitor.com/2003/...ichardson_3909 and bought a pack of Duoderm patches for my next crash. Haven't had a chance to try them ... yet.

///Charlie

Yet
    Ack!
    I'm in for a B or C ride. Anyone interested in carpooling from the peninsula? Hwy 84-ish?
    Virtue is its own punishment

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by poff
    Ouch! How's the bike?

Heal up, poff!

TANSTAAFL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike E
    I'm in, didn't make it last year and have been kicking myself ever since. I'm up for either date and would be up for leading a C-, D ride out of HH
    thinking about maybe making a D ride, but would rather have an earlier start than 9:30, anyone up for an earlier start? and a D ride?

Jim
    "It is a bad sign when people stop identifying themselves with the county and start identifying with a group."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast