Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Is now still the time?

Henry Coe 6/21/14 Solstice 10k 6am Hunting Hollow

Here's an open invitation to a 10,000 footie day in Coe!

Besides Plummer and myself, who is interested?

The exact route will be divulged on paper maps on the morning of the ride.

It will begin by going up Lyman, Bowl, and Middle Steer, down Wilson Peak and Grizzly, then up Dexter and down to Kelly Lake. Then it will head to Coit and Mississippi Lakes. Eventually it will take the freshly brushed Dutch's Trail towards the finale back to Hunting Hollow.

This is a difficult ride.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    I'm interested, but I know it's only possible for me if it's not going to be broiling that day.

mtbr member

Interested in such a ride. But don't think I can make the 6am start time, coming from Oakland. Smart time to start given the heat though. Would be very interested in getting a gps file of the route to do at a later time/date, if possible.

I like mtn biking, too

I am interested! I need a big climbing day for training, and have been wanting to get in some summer early Coe. I have to check with Mr. Shred.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thinking about it. If I could only can get a local pro to carry our provisions....
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    I have limited riding experience in Henry Coe. So I am going to ask 3 questions.
    1. Any guess as to what the high temps will be (predicted 82 in Morgan Hill)
    2. What will be longest distance/appx time between water sources?
    3. If I come the night before can I sleep near the parking lot and not get shanked or rousted by rangers/sheriff?

I like mtn biking, too

I am in!

Donut - people have slept in tents by Hunting Hollow before.

I am bringing a full 3 liters, electrolytes and a water filter.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Thanks, 3 litres and a filter sounds reasonable (as far as weight). Now if someone will lie and say 82 in Morgan Hill equals 84 on the sun baked ridges of Henry Coe I'm for sure in too but will plan on leaving at 5am because I'm old and slow and will need all the coolness and hopefully not all the light I can get. Can someone bring me a map for when I get gobbled up by the peloton?

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by donutnational View Post
    1. Any guess as to what the high temps will be (predicted 82 in Morgan Hill)
    I use the Nat’l Weather Service “Map Click” page for forecasts. Here are a few spots in Coe:

Hunting Hollow

Park HQ

Dowdy Ranch

Mississippi Lake

Click around at various other points in Coe on that map to get an overall feel for the temps. The ridges around HQ tend to the coolest area of the Park. Also click the "Hourly Weather Graph" link for hour-by-hour forecast.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Saturday's forecasted high temperature around Mississippi Lake is 86F. That's too hot for me, especially with hardly any shade in Coe. I'll be riding somewhere along the coast or in the Redwoods on Saturday.

Is now still the time?
    The forecast sounds reasonable. This ride has been completed in greater heat than the forecast for this Saturday.

Plymmer has looked at this thread, but I don't know why he hasn't contributed.

The ride goes by the lakes as they are important sources of water and provide soaking options. Really though, given the position in the ride, Mississippi Lake is the only convenient dip. Later when it is close to the zenith of heat, Purple Pond will be skirted, which in years past has been swimmable. However the level looks low (from Pliebenberg's trai work thread) and might be difficult to get into. But if I am hot, I could find a way I bet. One thing to consider, is that stock ponds will be teeming with life. Yellow Jacket Pond is probably repulsive.

Pacheco Camp and Dowdy Ranch, and at the end, Wilson Camp are important reliable water sources along the way.

All water obtained from these sources in the park must be treated before drinking. I use a Katadyn Hiker.

It is possible to bail from the ride at any point. The last places to really bail are Mississippi Lake or County Line at Kaiser Aetna Rd. Once one goes along Dutch's there's no easy way out. The route home from there is a tried and true butt kicker.

In theory from Dowdy, after the climb up Kaiser Aetna Road, the route takes Burra Burra Trail and Center Flats Road to Wagon Road. The ride continues on Wagon Rd all the way to Steer Ridge Dr, where the idea is to climb the ridge for a finish down the JDT. however, the temptation of Bowl to Lyman, a much easier route, will be strong.
    SOrCerer

Is now still the time?
    Here's the general route:

Lyman, Bowl, Middle Steer, Wilson Peak, Grizzly, Dexter, Kelly Lake, Kelly Cabin, Cross Canyon, Willow Ridge, Coit Lake Trail, Coit Ridge, Rattlesnake, Coit Road, Live Oak, Coit Road, Pacheco Camp, Pacheco Creek, Heritage, Pacheco Ridge, Willow Ridge, Mississippi Lake, County Line, A****t, Orestimba Creek, Mustang Cutoff, County Line, Dutch's, Tie Down, Kaiser Aetna, Dowdy, Burra Burra, Center Flats, Wagon Road, Steer Ridge Road, JDT.

Of course there may be some obscure variations worth missing along the way. The start as always is brutal. But this gives us an idea of how we are doing in the early going. I have never climbed to Wilson Peak this way before. My experiences of climbing Middle Steer are that above the bowl, the trail is actually rideable.

Short cutting to Pacheco Camp and bypassing Mississippi Lake is are options to shorten the circuit.

I haven't been doing huge rides lately. This is really ambitious. This is a personal tradition and I need the training, here I go again.

I know, hell of an early start, but this is after all, a long ride on a warm day, and it's good to do as much of it in the morning as possible.The forecast sounds reasonable. This ride has been completed in greater heat than the forecast for this Saturday.
    SOrCerer

I like mtn biking, too

Sounds awesome! Thx for the info Paul!

I have a goid Coe map, and will bring it.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Lots of excuses none of them valid, I'm going to do a less ambitious solstice ride in the sierra instead. Have fun.

Is now still the time?
    Hi,

We will miss you donut national.

At the moment there are seven riders showing up. Most of us are sensibly apprehensive.

If we get to the intersection of Center Flats and Wagon Road and we are in dire straits from the heat we can ride over and down to Kelly Lake fairly quickly, and then the ride back to the start is moderate over Coit Road to the Coyote Creek gate.
    SOrCerer

MarkyMark
    How'd this go?

Is now still the time?

51.23 Miles and 11158 Feet

Well, we did it! Seven riders; Julie, Eric, Kley, Roy, Tom, Fred, and me.

The weather was cool for this event. Maximum of 95 degrees fahrenheit scorched the 2 mile climb up Kaiser Aetna, but that was it. Otherwise, my experience was downright lovely. We did not swim anywhere. Boo on that.

Eric lead the climb up Lyman until a fallen tree below the "wall" put his foot down, and I passed him and Kley, and cleaned the climb up to the Bowl.

Kley is more of a roadie, and strong. Lucky for him, as he took a wrong turn at the end by exiting the route vie Vasquez Road instead of Center Flats. He made it out fine!

As usual, all sorts of hi-jinks.

Plymmer, in bike patrol livery, ensured a safe passage by all.

The Bowl Trail traverse was a hilight along the cool climb up to Wilson Peak in the morning.

As you can see, Roy is wearing his warm-up suit arriving at the Bowl Trail junction from Lyman.

Shredchic really hammers on her platform pedals up the Coe steeps. She rules.

The jaws of death laugh as we ride by into the hinterlands.

Breaks are made to remove foxtails from socks and stabbed toes.

Chemtrails screened out the sun and maintained tolerable temperatures as scheduled, seen here over Kelly Lake.

Refreshed Kelly Cabin Canyon trail marker.

Roy getting used to mountain biking again and taking the cheater line with his eyes closed.

Tom doing it right and blowing vapor like a steam train.

Live Oak super highway.

Filter fest at Pacheco Camp.

Pacheco Creek canyon.

Chem haze sundog demonstrates the haze that persisted until around 4:30pm. It also felt a bit muggy, and at one point it got a little dark, and prelude to rain, but of course, this is all fantasy.

Roy and Fred bring it up Pacheco Creek Trail. Here Tom is riding a fixie as his freehub is broken. He snapped his chain at least three times. Lucky he didn't destroy the derailleur. What a ****ed up situation. He had the only mechanicals including a flat. He vowed to finish the ride even if he had to spend the night and walk the entire way. Stubborn beautiful man! He finished with the group smiling, and riding his fixie, braking down the hills, pretty much ahead of everyone all the time.

I am afraid of this guy!

Here goes Roy up the Heritage Trail (put a foot down later). As Roy is my witness, I cleaned that climb all the way to Pacheco Ridge Road. Thanks for the encouragement Plymmer!

Mississippi Lake, where we topped off our water to take us to Dowdy.

All grins after a smashing downhill.

Shredchic and her clicky One One Lurcher made a pretty sight among so many rancid old men.

Purple Pond was experienced and enjoyed via freshly brushed and flagged most excellent trail access.

Why is it called Purple Pond?

Something savage about Plymmer and Dutchs come together in this photo.

On top of dessicated nowhere.

The tree, the group, the meadow, the horror!

Yellow Jacket Pond.

The PCC time tunnel.

The Dowdy VC.

Burra Burra.

C'est moi!

Roy and I sauntered along Burra Burra. I was loathe to leave these cool and lovely climes.

A distant look at Tie Down Peak from Burra Burra Trail.

Plymmer and Shredchic pounding up to the Dormida Trail junction/summit.

Last edited by Sorcerer; 06-22-2014 at 01:28 PM.
    SOrCerer

Is now still the time?

Part Deux

No biggie?

Center Flats?

Serpentine Outcrop and taking our sweeeeeet time.

Yup, all down hill from here baby!

Here's Tom's smile of got it in the bag after riding on pins and needles all day long.

Low budget stuff makes the ride interesting anyway!

My wife rode up on a single speed to meet us at the final summit!

We loitered until the sunset, and rode down the JDT in the cool of the solstice dusk.

SOrCerer

King Of Tooth Tarter

Festooned River Dance Beach Balls

What a fine ride. Thanks Paul for doing the route this year. Sorry all. I have joined the road bike side of the biking world. But I did truly enjoy getting back to Coe for a splendid suffer-fest. It was lovely out there and still have stickers that I'm trying to pull out of various orifices. I was ready to jump in Purple Pond but we decided against it. It was warm and muggy at that point and would have helped the climb up Kaiser-Aetna which is always a treat (sarcasm). So good to ride with a crew I haven't seen for too very long.

Back to the road for me.

Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    No biggie?

Center Flats?

Serpentine Outcrop and taking our sweeeeeet time.

Yup, all down hill from here baby!

Here's Tom's smile of got it in the bag after riding on pins and needles all day long.

Low budget stuff makes the ride interesting anyway!

My wife rode up on a single speed to meet us at the final summit!

We loitered until the sunset, and rode down the JDT in the cool of the solstice dusk.

I like mtn biking, too

Thank you Sorcerer for putting together a great route - you picked some super fun descents. Between you and Roy and Eric, we were lucky to have more Coexpertise than probably most rangers. Everyone there was an amazingly strong rider, but the ride was chill and enjoyable. It was nice that we stopped to see the sights of the park and took time to chat.

Beautiful morning atop the first and arguably the worst of our climbs - Lyman Wilson. At least it was cool and our legs were fresh...

"Hmm, that trail was around here somewhere..." In search of Cattle Duster, which fell off this ridge to the left and ended up being a typical Coe insane, exposed, bushwhacky descent the width of a deer path - real, old-school mountain biking:

Now it's time to pick prickly little pieces of dry grass out of our socks and shoes, except Sorcerer who doesn't wear socks and rides in Teva's:

Sorcerer etched a sign for Kelly Cross Canyon. This trail was one of the best ST's:

Water filtration party happening here at Pacheco Camp. Just after this Tom (in the middle) had a major mechanical, and chose to toil on the rest of the route solo. What a trooper! He was riding extremely strong and we frequently crossed paths, luckily:

Sorcerer Plymmer and Fred on Heritage:

Purple pond - "you wanna jump in? No, do you? No..."

Burra Burra:

Is that the Dog Meat Queen hammering up the hill to greet us? Hooray it was!

The sun is setting on Plymmer at Coe. snif
    -Jake Watson

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    The sun is setting on Plymmer at Coe. snif
    +1 on the snif :-(

Great job, shredchic, hanging with this group! Also Congrats to Tom who, I believe, has completed every Coe Solstice 10k.

I crossed paths with the group when they topped out of Cross Canyon. Very fun hanging out with them:

I thought I might see them again at Mississippi Lake but they had a longer route plus the stop to filter water at Pacheco Camp.

Here are a few photos from my solo ride, not germane to the Solstice 10k but related in a What It Was Like Out There™ way…

Pacheco Creek (2 months ago it looked like this.)

Mississippi Lake

Bear Spring

Bear Mtn

Paging the San Martin Horsemen, these cows on Grizzly Gulch Trail need to be rounded-up:

@Dexter

I ♥ Grizzly Gulch Trail:

Gilroy:

Cordoza Ridge:

Pacheco Camp:

Last edited by Skyline35; 06-23-2014 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typos
    Long live long rides

More Torque
    Great write-ups, folks. Glad everyone had a good and safe time, and thanks for sharing.

Tom's bike broke down multiple times? Never would have seen that one coming!

-D

middle ring single track

Hey guys...

...it sounds like we need to start planning a memorial for the "plymmer".

(Roy you're not superstitious are you?)

Where shall it be? (at Coe of course!) What form shall it take? (something the DPR would tolerate?)

On second thought; how about a memorial ride in his honor? (just rename one of the regular rides?)

Or maybe a mass release of Mylar balloons???

The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member
    Paulie & me talked about you guys a few times while rolling around in a redwood forest that day, thinking how much nicer the temps must of been over there

Nice job, everyone
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes, great accomplishment by all and thanks for the story and pictures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast