Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    AKA SORCERER

More Cowbell

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VlAIfAJO7lQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There are many surprises to be seen in Coe. Now you can hear one of them.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZFUUtGVsEOE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big raunchy guitar of Lesley West, heavy beats by Corky Liang, and solid back bass of Felix Papplardi are evident in this legendary, iconic, "HARD ROCK" sound.

Coe is raunchy, solid, heavy, legendary, and iconic. Go there when you are keen for the raw delivery, the real deal, the straight elixir.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Any plans for another 10K Solstice ride in 2015?

AKA SORCERER
    Normonster, June 20 Hunting Hollow at Sunrise.

No announcement until this one has been made here.

I was in decent shape earlier this year pulling off a few 10ks in Coe in cool weather. But I have been slacking lately, due in part to other obligations. Now I am scared of Coe!

Well, I have been planning routes and have some new ideas.

Any interest out there?
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'd be interested in a shorter version, starting at 8am, but possibly meeting up with the 10k group somewhere.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

AKA SORCERER
    Hi JL

Well now looks like Jack is riding and hiking this one with Sorcerer alone unless some peeps show up at Hunting Hollow at 5:30 am on Saturday June 20th.

Jack will be heading up the JDT heading for the Schitterende Trails and then back down. So if you head out there you will probably see Jack in some crevice like the Kelly Cabin Canyon going in the wrong direction, or some similar predicament.
    SOrCerer

PRETENDURO
    Dude Im hella tempted to just show up there at 5:30AM on Saturday the 20th of June, 2015. I put in on the calendar, Im about 50% sure Ill be able to make it. Count me in for 10,000 footies.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    Normonster, June 20 Hunting Hollow at Sunrise.

No announcement until this one has been made here.

I was in decent shape earlier this year pulling off a few 10ks in Coe in cool weather. But I have been slacking lately, due in part to other obligations. Now I am scared of Coe!

Well, I have been planning routes and have some new ideas.

Any interest out there?
    Awwwwwwwwwww!!! I was just going to say hell yeah! But then I remembered we scheduled a backpacking trip that weekend. What was I thinking? I do need to do a 10k day at Coe someday, though, before it gets ridiculously hot.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Were just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

King Of Tooth Tarter

Solstice Ride

I'd like to encourage you to ride this ride this year. I won't be doing it as I have an engagement with some hills up north. Paul puts together some awesome routes and you will go amazing places and be rewarded with huge accomplishments. And the lake swimming is pretty damn amazing. These rides are fun and in an indescribably way, magical. So, if you are thinking of doing it, do it. You will enjoy it. Know your limits, but push them a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Awwwwwwwwwww!!! I was just going to say hell yeah! But then I remembered we scheduled a backpacking trip that weekend. What was I thinking? I do need to do a 10k day at Coe someday, though, before it gets ridiculously hot.

AKA SORCERER
    Hay it looks like dried up grass. Kind of like interest in the ride and Coe. All dried up and thorny like Coe in summer.

Jack hesitates to post it on some of the local MTB meet-up lists.

The ride is not an exercise of sado-masochism. Don't be afraid of that. But it can be difficult. The worst was once someone drank too much water on a 108 degree day and spent a few days in the hospital afterwards.

The route is never the same.

This time Sorcerer will head fairly directly to the park's far east end, east of Mustang Peak, first thing in the morning, and then wend to Mississippi Lake just in time for a cool dip as the day'slout heat. Coit and then Kelly lakes will be visited in the afternoon.

In the morning you got weather, cold and foggy at the start. Then the heat, it turns up humming, and the hills they just repeat. You swear and shift in tall grass that you're not a gambling man. But you find your back in Coe now with a handle in your hand.

Yeah you.

Go back Jack, do it again, wheel turning round and round.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'd like to join if this is indeed happening this year. I'll be "camping" close to the start so I won't have to get up at 3:30 am

AKA SORCERER
    On Saturday Jack will not be alone in this endeavor. It looks like there may be 3 or 4 riders for the 2015 edition of the Summer Solstice 10k.

So yeah. This ride is really happening!

The meet time is 5:30 am in Hunting Hollow. Don't forget to have $6 for day use parking, and display your receipt or pass. The ride will roll out around 5:45 hopefully.

Crucial water replenishment along the ride is facilitated and expedited by each rider bringing a filtration system. The lakes will be our primary and dependable source in the afternoon .

The first two climbs of the day are JDT to Middle Steer Ridge, and then Wagon Road from Hunting Hollow to Red Fern Pond. So if anyone wants to ride a little later or ends up late and they could just arrive late and head up towards Wagon Road, and even make up the climbing at the end of the day!

This is the softest ride start of any Coe 10k ever.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There will be genetic testing at the beginning to make sure all participants are human.

10K at Coe with the heat there is "alien like" ability.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

AKA SORCERER
    Among the myriad ways to enhance a long bike ride are these modest suggestions:

Bring a water filter.

Bring a light in case of darkness.

Check to see if the bicycle has enough brake pad for 10,000 feet of steep descending.

Bring food.

Bring a map.

Have a road ID or a note with emergency contact information with you.

Have some food and water in the car For after the ride.

Arm and knee warmers or coolers as the case may be desirable for protection in some of the thornier downhills.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the list Jack Burns! I'm all over it. See you Sat!

AKA SORCERER
    Jack says, you're welcome.

Jack says the reason for going down Middle Steer Ridge is for fun, testing, and just in case someone forgot something in the car. This is one of the best downhill trails in the park, and Jack hasn't been on it in months.

From Hunting Hollow the ride heads up Wagon Road to Vasquez and the Dormida via the Long Dam Trail.

Vasquez Road is really steep up from the valley of the Dormida, but is not brushy as it has been in years past. This takes us to the Scherrer downhill via Center Flats Road.

Then a pretty horrible section of riding takes the route to Dutch's over the Tie Down Peak southern flank by crossing the N Fork of the Pacheco Creek.

Climbing Dutch's is not as bad as one might think. But who is doing the thinking? Well, the thought was to avoid Kaiser Aetna Road.
    SOrCerer

fc
    used to be francois Administrator
    Damn. I'm outta town. Report please.
    IPA will save America

AKA SORCERER
    Looks like a hot afternoon in Coe in the 20th!
    SOrCerer

PRETENDURO
    Looks like a hot afternoon in Coe in the 20th!
    Sure, the temperature at Hunting Hollow at 5:30AM will be 52F, yet by 2:00PM surely the temperatures will be 100F+ in places. Coe is no joke!

UPDATE: Looks like I wont be able to make it afterall. Something has come up.
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:30 AM.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

King Of Tooth Tarter

Addtional Item To Bring

You also might want to invest in something like this: REI Trail Light Gaiters - REI.com. Gaiters have kept out those nasty burrs and thorns on many rides. Your more likely to keep your socks afterwards also.

Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Sure, the temperature at Hunting Hollow at 5:30AM will be 52F, yet by 2:00PM surely the temperatures will be 100F+ in places. Coe is no joke!

AKA SORCERER
    Awe...
    SOrCerer

mtbr member

also going to go but

I was also going to go but something came up when I heard 10kft +100 degree.

middle ring single track
    Awe...
    Have fun!
    Last edited by pliebenberg; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:58 PM.
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

PRETENDURO
    So? Howd it go? Did I miss out on the lovely 110F temperatures??? Strava or it didnt happen.

middle ring single track
    So? Howd it go? Did I miss out on the lovely 110F temperatures??? Strava or it didnt happen.
    Try this: http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...de-979018.html
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

AKA SORCERER
    It was another good one. In itself the fact that all four (well really three since one went half way on purpose) made it out alive and intact is a very positive indication.

Smallest group ever. As explained in the 2015 ride thread the formula was to reel the rider deep into to the hills of no return. Once committed, your done for. The afternoon pace crawled on the cramping legs of my companion. We had to abandon all the fun obscure tracks, taking County Line and Coit Road back instead. Most impressive was the courage and mettle of Normonster and jpre.

This ride always scares Jack too. But you know what, let's turn it up to 11 next year!

So the real route wasn't completed. It happens sometimes.

Heat? Yes it was hot, but it gets hotter. The climate was the worst from one to three o'clock in the afternoon, exactly when the hills were kicking us in the family jewels. I have no idea, but it is likely we went through a 100 degree zone near the bottoms from Yellow Jacket Pond to Dutch's.

Jack tried not to give a chit. Not really concerned with Strava kudos either, but will eventually upload the results. Nothing to boast about. He might want to try this again with Spike and Phegley at first instead of the JDT and Wagon, and then do the parts that were missed.
    SOrCerer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast