mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Help planning Redding visit

I thought I might bring the mountain bike up to Redding for a couple of days before it gets too hot but I'm unfamiliar with the area. Thinking of heading up this Sunday and riding Mon. and Tue. First I need either a recommendation for either a good basic hotel or a tent camping site near the trails. Secondly what trails should I ride? I like scenic over technical and am good for rides of a couple of hours + or around 25 miles. Thanks in advance for any help!

Contains no juice.
    Can we Entice you to Redding

Loki is tha Redding man, maybe he'll chime in. If not, pm him!

Redding Trail Alliance
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 1 Week Ago at 12:46 PM. Reason: I'm a dork
    Is my paycheck just a bribe to forget my dreams?

mtbr member
    You can camp in Whiskeytown park and have direct access from your site to the trails in that area. There are also a ton of good trails in the nearby Swasey Rec and other areas. I don't know the trails well enough to recommend anything specific, but I've had lots of fun up there despite seeing only a fraction of what's available.

I camped once at the Peltier Bridge site and it was a really nice, heavily shaded creek-side area away from the busyness of the lake. Brandy Creek would probably be nice too. I would avoid Oak Bottom... very busy and on the wrong side of the lake from the trails. Check their site about availability, because I think all these sites are reservable now

Come to think of it, Swasey is BLM land so there may be camping there too?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you stay in a Hotel, stay in a corporate places on Hilltop Drive. Avoid the Hotels downtown. Whiskeytown would be the best place to camp. I don't think you can camp at Swasey.

Swasey trails: Enticer (then new jump trail), Snail Trail (new flow trail), Mule Mtn Summit (steep summit trail), Terminator (Old School Rocky DH).

Whiskeytown Trails: Chimney, Papoose Pass, Kanaka Peak, Mt. Shasta Mine Loop, Couch, Recliner

Others: Dry Creek Trail (Near Shasta Dam), French Fry

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    For ride ideas, take a look at the Mayor's MTB Challenge website (Home). There are links to some good routes.
    Last edited by AlanMS; 1 Week Ago at 09:35 PM. Reason: Link to title edit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Clikapudi Trail out in Jones Valley has some scenic parts to it on the lake side. It is about 11 miles round trip and has camping at the trailhead. It is Northeast of Redding about 20 minutes from town. Hornbeck is nice and can be ridden all the way up to Shasta Dam.

mtbr member
    Last night I was looking for videos of the new Redding flow/jump trail, and I couldn't find any. If somebody could give me the name of that trail, I would appreciate it.

Second: Remember about a year and a half ago, there was a thred here about "the Next MTB Destination"? And some of it evolved (rightly so) into a discussion about towns that are already embracing MTB to add tourism dollars?

Downieville was specifically mentioned.

Well since then, look at Bentonville, and others. Look at how many ads in Bike magazine for towns in Arkansas. It seems like the mayor of Redding is all over this.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    Last night I was looking for videos of the new Redding flow/jump trail, and I couldn't find any. If somebody could give me the name of that trail, I would appreciate it.
    Enticer
    https://www.pinkbike.com/video/483300/

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Not much I can add to this that hasn't already been covered. Except if the OP doesn't really want tech I would NOT recommend the Dry Creek trail that has been mentioned a couple times already. Pretty much anything at Swasey Recreation area including a trip to the Mule Ridge Trail and Princess ditch, probably the two most scenic trails in the are.

Here is a Great 20 mile loop. Start at Swasey Rec, take Mule Mt. trail to the Escalator, to Mule Ridge Trail. Follow that all the way south to Oak Knoll trailhead, Take Princess ditch up to Cosmos, Climb Cosmos back to Black Bear Pass (This climb sucks, but at least its not long) then down Snail trail and back to your vehicle. If you have the legs grab a couple laps on the Enticer, or save that for another day.

Another great ride would be to start at Mary Lake, Climb to the top of the world via the west side trail, admire the view, turn around and come back down, head over to salt creek trail, take that down to 299, then Trail 58, Take that to French Fry, at the end of French Fry, turn left on Iron Mountain road, then right onto keswick damn road. Hop on the river trail heading downstream. Turn up Ten Bridges Trail (buenaventura trail) and take that back to your start area.
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for that link AlanMS. Hoping to get a ride in up there this weekend.

mtbr member
    Whats the options for dispersed camping in the area? I don't need to be paying for camping, if i don't have to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Very Very Little

Quote Originally Posted by paintballeerXC View Post
    Whats the options for dispersed camping in the area? I don't need to be paying for camping, if i don't have to.
    The only place I have found that isn't a long way away from the trails is up Whiskey Creek. If you go to Whiskeytown, turn right after the big bridge, then head up that road until you are no longer in the park boundry. There is a section of BLM up there and you can camp along the creek. Its pretty, and cooler in the summer.
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Great tips, thanks!