Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Broken but on the mend

Help out a veteran who's having a hard time.

Alright this might be a bit long winded but please read.

So this post is for the best Sergeant (Dan)I ever had the pleasue of serving with during my 6 years in the military and he needs some help with his battle with PTSD. Dan does not know I am posting this and he did not ask me to do this.

Dan seved 21 years in the military where he did 10 deployments which 8 of this being in active combat zones. In 2015 Dan was forced to medically retire because of some severe PTSD issues. Dan was not expecting to retire yet and was planning on doing 30 years if he could. So for those that do not know when you are medically retired with a 100% disability rating it takes the VA close to 18 months to start giving you your disability and retirement money. Dan was an active mountain biker but due to the unplanned retirement and no money coming in he had to sell everthing, car, bikes, hunting for gear and so on.

Fast forward to now. Dan is someone I talk to regularly. He is
    Currently really struggling with his PTSD and going into a dark place. The VA's solution is pills and therapy appointments are very hard to get (takes almost 3 months currently). The solution he is getting is not helping and pills are not the answer. I struggled with PTSD after my last trip to Afghanistan and found riding my bike to be the best thing for me. It let me focus on one thing, it got me out of the house and made it much easier to sleep. Dan has expressed his love for riding amd has told me how much he misses being out in the wood recently.

Dan currently has no bike and is not financially not doing well so this is why Im writing this. I recently had a friend loose his battle with depression and I dont want to see it happen to one of the best guys I know. I want to get Dan on a bike again. I reached out to the Wounded Worrier Project but was pretty much laughed at. Seems they dont really want to help vets unless it gets them publicity. I have emailed every bike manufactures I could with the email addresses I found on there websites but have not got any emails back (im sure they get 100 emails a day with people asking for free or discounted bikes)

So this leads me to the point of this post and im brining it the the biggest community I can. I want to get Dan on an XL 29er as thats what he had before these hard times hit. I dont care if its new or used. I want him to be proud of the bike and it be something he will be excited about to help motivate im.

I want to ask you all for help. If you have contacts at bike company's, shops or anything . Im hesitant to ask for money but if people would be willing to donate I would set up a go fund me page. I just want to give this awesome man a chance to be happy again. I currently have 2 bikes forsale and plan to use money from that to go to a bike for him but I need help. If you have ideas, can spread the word, can donate parts, frame, or money anything helps.

A little about me. I did 6 years in the military, 2 tours to Afghanistan and 1 to Iraq. I delt with PTSD for some time but feel I found ways to over come it. Im currently a Deputy Sheriff and an avid mountain bike. I dont want this to come off as a scam or anything like that. If you need more info please PM me, I would be happy to show you my military ID and my LEO ID and badge. I truely just want to help a man that was my mentor and has given his shirt off his back to people that needed it.

Edit: after some PMs I set up a go fund me. My goal is either get him a fame and build it with dontated parts or to get him a decent completed bike.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-a-veteran-get-a-mt-bike
    Last edited by mzorich; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:59 PM.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I hope that this works. Riding has helped me through some dark times, and I have friends who struggle with PTSD.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I hope that this works. Riding has helped me through some dark times, and I have friends who struggle with PTSD.
    I am going to do everything I can to make it happen. Thank you for your support.

That makes me smart
    I'm in for some $$. Thank you for your kindness and service.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

Broken but on the mend
    Ok so I had a few PMs so I went ahead and made a Go Fund Me. If you guys are willing to can you share it on facebook or any social media you might have. Again I really appreciate your help with this.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Donated. Get this man a bike.

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    Donated. Get this man a bike.
    Thank you!! I know with the fires and everything going on we all have alot to donate to and your generosity is greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    As a retired LEO (31 years) with two kids who are active duty Army officers, I would be glad to pitch in as well. Are you aware that GoFundMe pages keep a % of the money raised?

Another option you may want to pursue is building up a bike. We did that for a friend down here. Even people that can't/don't want to donate money have misc parts laying around. For example, I had a set of used XX1 cranks that I donated.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Are you aware that GoFundMe pages keep a % of the money raised?
    It's 5%. Not nothing, but in the scheme of things, if it helps centralize donations from people (you know, who don't just want to paypal a random stranger based on a forum post), then it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Broken but on the mend
    As a retired LEO (31 years) with two kids who are active duty Army officers, I would be glad to pitch in as well. Are you aware that GoFundMe pages keep a % of the money raised?

Another option you may want to pursue is building up a bike. We did that for a friend down here. Even people that can't/don't want to donate money have misc parts laying around. For example, I had a set of used XX1 cranks that I donated.
    Yes I know they keep a %. Anything helps. Ig I can raise enough to get a frame and then piece it together thats fine with me. I just want to give people an option thats easier then mailing parts to me, but I will happily take anything. Hopefully you are enjoying retirement!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If it goes the way of building a bike up, I have handlebars (750mm), stem, and seat I can donate.

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmtber View Post
    If it goes the way of building a bike up, I have handlebars (750mm), stem, and seat I can donate.

Thank you. I will keep you posted. I am open to all options as I would like to get him something as soon as possible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    Yes I know they keep a %. Anything helps. Ig I can raise enough to get a frame and then piece it together thats fine with me. I just want to give people an option thats easier then mailing parts to me, but I will happily take anything. Hopefully you are enjoying retirement!
    Cool...I kicked in and have a few parts lying around (XX1 11-42 Cassette).

Thank you and you buddy for their service. Our nations highest calling. HOOAH!!
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have a set of Guide RS brakes with rotors if you want 'em. They have the new (non-sticky) pistons. Cable lengths were for a large frame so should fit an XL. PM me if it works out that way and you're building up a bike.

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    I have a set of Guide RS brakes with rotors if you want 'em. They have the new (non-sticky) pistons. Cable lengths were for a large frame so should fit an XL. PM me if it works out that way and you're building up a bike.
    Thank you!! Ill check back with you in the next day or so when I see where we are at!

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    That's frickin' cool.

mtnbkrmike

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Donated!

Trail Gnome Moderator
    It's 5%. Not nothing, but in the scheme of things, if it helps centralize donations from people (you know, who don't just want to paypal a random stranger based on a forum post), then it's not necessarily a bad thing.
    I donít think anyone picked up on your humorous statement :P

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    You know what I do for a living. Humor is a disqualifying trait.

Broken but on the mend
    I just wanted to give everyone an update and a huge thank you with the help I have received so far. In 16 hours we have raised just under $300.00 and have a number of people willing to donate parts. Right now it sounds like we have a set of Guide RC brakes, a few people willing to donate handle bars/stems and I am going to donate a brand new Sram G1 1x11 drivetrain. I got a message about a used Yeti SB5 frame that the individual said he would be willing to let go for a decent price. I have not pursued it any further as I haven't raised enough but it sounds promising right now.

I am going to reach out to a few shops in Roseville and Auburn today and just ask if they would be willing to make a post on their social media accounts for me. Hopefully one will agree and we can just keep getting some more exposure to keep the ball rolling.

Again, THANK YOU to all that have helped so far.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    I've got a bunch of nearly-new tires in 27.5 and 29. Let me know which size you go with and I'll see what I can send your way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If you go for a 27.5 build, I would also have a front and rear wheel to donate... Although the rear wheel has a 10spd hub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmtber View Post
    If you go for a 27.5 build, I would also have a front and rear wheel to donate... Although the rear wheel has a 10spd hub.
    I have a spare wheel set with an 11spd/XD driver rear hub, which would mate up with the GX drivetrain well.

~~~
    Donated.

mtbr member
    AWESOME....once he raises enough money for a frame, it looks like 90% of the parts have already been donated already. Pretty cool to see everybody stepping up.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Come on people. 792 views and he's raised only $400. If everybody would have donated a whopping $3 each, he'd have enough for a frame already. $3 for a career Army veteran who is one of .05% of American's who stepped up and volunteered to put his life on the line to protect our Freedom to sleep well at night knowing we're going to be able to ride this weekend.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

Broken but on the mend
    All right just wanted to give another quick update. Right now the GoFundMe is at $675.00 which is amazing. I think if we can get it to $1200.00 I will be able to purchase that frame, use the donated parts and track down a wheel set and a fork to complete this so that is my goal at the moment.

I have reached out to two shops, one is Roseville and one in Auburn. I am still awaiting to hear back from there managers. I just asked them if they would be willing to post the GoFundMe on their social media accounts with a brief back story. Hopefully one will do it and we can get some more exposure.

Again, thank you all for the help and support. This community is awesome!!!

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Oh hey. I have a Fox 32 140mm in 27.5. It needs a service and probably also a trip to Fox for the crown/stanchion interface crackling, but it's yours if you want it.

That makes me smart
    Oh hey. I have a Fox 32 140mm in 27.5. It needs a service and probably also a trip to Fox for the crown/stanchion interface crackling, but it's yours if you want it.
    Yeah, baby!!!

mtnbkrmike

mtbr member
    Donated.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    I have quite a few good quality lightly used parts I would donate to the build. Off the top of my head FSA SLK Carbon cranks 104/64 BCD with FSA ceramic external BB, XT 10 speed shifter/shifters, new north shore lock on grips, I think an almost new 10 speed XT cassette, Magura MT6 Brakes that need a bleed/pads, Schwalbe 27.5 NN trailstar tire 2 rides, brand new in box Race Face Turbine dropper 30.6 150mm Drop (I need to recoup a little money on this item $200 shipped) lots of Crank Brothers Candy 2ti pedals (Old style bushings & bearings are solid) and the last could go on. Just ask.
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Turner RFX W/Push 11/6- For sale as a frameset. PM me.

~~~
    Don't underestimate the power of sharing on social media. This problem touches more people than you may think. Sharing on FB drew some attention and a few extra dollars from fellow cyclists who probably didn't know about this thread.

I also wanted to share a comment on my FB post from a Vet.
    "Bikes saved my life. I still struggle pretty regularly with my PTSD issues, but I've noticed this month completely away from the bike (and not for injury reasons, which drives me crazy but I can deal with) has made it a lot worse. If I actually had any disposable $ I'd throw it his way for sure. It's important."

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Yeah, baby!!!
    Two birds with one stone. Help get this bike built AND get a little further into my six year overdue "clean the garage out" project.

I like cake.
    Jun 2006
    When the time is appropriate, I think a group ride would be swell.
    I like cake

Broken but on the mend
    Ok guys I have some BIG NEWS!!! A man that wished to remain anonymous from SoCal (I can't believe the GoFundMe reached SoCal!) contacted me. He said he owns a large bike shop in San Clemente and he wanted to help out. The jist of what we went over was he will sell a brand new bike lower then his cost so if we can raise 1500 he will give us a 3700 bike and and so on. The guy seems legit and very serious about helping but he was adamant that I do not disclose who he is. He wants me to wait till next thursday and see what we can raise. He said if we can somehow reach 3k he has an XL S-Works Stumpjumper that he will donate. HOLY COW I'm excited and hopeful we can reach this mark.

To everyone thats has contacted me about parts and frame. I do not want to offend or seem ungrateful for your generosity, but I think if we can try for the new bike that would be amazing and then use the donated frame and parts as a plan b if for some reason this falls through.

I can't say it enough THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP!!! I am hoping since this has some how reached SoCal that we can reach that 2k or 3k mark and blow Dan away.

mtbr member
    donation just sent from Delaware! good luck and a big thank you to you and your friend for your service!!

mtbr member
    Ok guys I have some BIG NEWS!!! A man that wished to remain anonymous from SoCal (I can't believe the GoFundMe reached SoCal!) contacted me. He said he owns a large bike shop in San Clemente and he wanted to help out. The jist of what we went over was he will sell a brand new bike lower then his cost so if we can raise 1500 he will give us a 3700 bike and and so on. The guy seems legit and very serious about helping but he was adamant that I do not disclose who he is. He wants me to wait till next thursday and see what we can raise. He said if we can somehow reach 3k he has an XL S-Works Stumpjumper that he will donate. HOLY COW I'm excited and hopeful we can reach this mark.

To everyone thats has contacted me about parts and frame. I do not want to offend or seem ungrateful for your generosity, but I think if we can try for the new bike that would be amazing and then use the donated frame and parts as a plan b if for some reason this falls through.

I can't say it enough THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP!!! I am hoping since this has some how reached SoCal that we can reach that 2k or 3k mark and blow Dan away.
    Cool...I linked it to my FB account and also emailed the link to all my MTB riding friends. This should be a no brainer....skip your Starbucks for two days and kick in $10. We'll hit that $3000 mark in no time.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

~~~
    Ok guys I have some BIG NEWS!!! ...
    That's fantastic news! Let's keep the ball rolling and spread the word.

mtbr member
    Ok so I had a few PMs so I went ahead and made a Go Fund Me. If you guys are willing to can you share it on facebook or any social media you might have. Again I really appreciate your help with this.

It was close to hitting $1000 when I donated, I don't think you will have a problem achieving $1500. Hell, even a $1500 bike is a far bit better than most of us start off with.

Pics of the bike and rider once it's all said and done. We always hear about the problems, but rarely the outcome. Nothing more gratifying than seeing a fellow downtrodden warfighter make their way back to mental and physical sustainability.

I can get Giant parts near cost (thanks Middletown Cycling!), if there is anything you think I can help with, don't hesitate to ask.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Keep on Rockin...
    Will gladly donate good spare parts to the cause if needed.

Maybe keep a running post of what might be needed for a build.

Totally, and to the max.
    Donated last night! A thought...I'd love to see our new buddy Dan on a brand new whip. No build needed, no miss mash of parts, just a fresh, smooth perfect shifting machine. I think we all know that unmistakable feeling of putting the first miles on a bike. You instantly want to take it on your favorite trail and open it up.

For those willing to donate parts, it would be awesome to use those to build bikes for riders affected in the fires, as there are many. I'm planning on calling a few shops in Sonoma Co. to see how something like this could transpire. Not to hijack this thread on that idea, but just putting that in the Norcal mind space.

Broken but on the mend
    Here is the updated news for everyone:

As of this morning we reached just under $1600 on the GoFundMe page. After talking with a few members on here the decision was reached that it would be best to get Dan a bike sooner then later. I contacted the Shop owner and he has placed an order for a 2017 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon Comp 29 in XL. He said the bike should be at the shop no later then Thursday of next week. This is hand down amazing and makes me smile from ear to ear.

The help and out pouring of donations is simply amazing. At this point once I get proof the bike is here and has been shipped to Dan I will use the funds we have generated to pay for the portion of the bike that was agreed appon. Any further dontations I recieve will be going to riding gear with the first priority to a new helmet. Again thank you all for your help on this and Ill keep you all updated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help out a veteran who's having a hard time.-screenshot_20171021-124730.jpg  

~~~
    Nice work, Mark! Keep it up. People outside of our cycling circles are continuing to share your story.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Here is the updated news for everyone:

As of this morning we reached just under $1600 on the GoFundMe page. After talking with a few members on here the decision was reached that it would be best to get Dan a bike sooner then later. I contacted the Shop owner and he has placed an order for a 2017 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon Comp 29 in XL. He said the bike should be at the shop no later then Thursday of next week. This is hand down amazing and makes me smile from ear to ear.

The help and out pouring of donations is simply amazing. At this point once I get proof the bike is here and has been shipped to Dan I will use the funds we have generated to pay for the portion of the bike that was agreed appon. Any further dontations I recieve will be going to riding gear with the first priority to a new helmet. Again thank you all for your help on this and Ill keep you all updated.
    Donated! Balance should increase by a hundo Mark, I think you're a great friend in helping Dan work out his PTSD issues. My wife and I became GS parents this June. Our son suffered greatly from PTSD and dispite what you may hear their is still a stigma when active duty members seek help for this. Thank Dan for his service.

mtbr member
    Wow great news Mark! Keep the updates coming

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    Wow great news Mark! Keep the updates coming
    Donations shot up the last 18 hours...up to $2500 now!!
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

Broken but on the mend
    Donations shot up the last 18 hours...up to $2500 now!!
    They really have. Peoples generosity is amazing. I am so grateful this all worked out and I can not wait for Dan to get his new bike.

That makes me smart
    Awesome thread in this day and age of negative things.

mtnbkrmike

GMM
    mtbr member
    Donation made. What a great cause!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    So awesome that this came together! And that bike is sweet looking!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max View Post
    Donated last night! A thought...I'd love to see our new buddy Dan on a brand new whip. No build needed, no miss mash of parts, just a fresh, smooth perfect shifting machine. I think we all know that unmistakable feeling of putting the first miles on a bike. You instantly want to take it on your favorite trail and open it up.

For those willing to donate parts, it would be awesome to use those to build bikes for riders affected in the fires, as there are many. I'm planning on calling a few shops in Sonoma Co. to see how something like this could transpire. Not to hijack this thread on that idea, but just putting that in the Norcal mind space.
    Happy to donate my parts to a good cause! Just start a new thread and see what we can come up with!

Broken but on the mend
    Just wanted to give a quick update. The GoFundMe hit $2565 over the weekend with 116 shares on Facebook. I have some money at the house that family has donated so the total is probably closer to $2750. We are still awaiting an update from the bike shop but once the bike gets here ill have the shop send me pics to post.

Thank you for the help again ill post another update in the next day or so.

Totally, and to the max.
    This thread makes me happy.

Broken but on the mend
    Ok I got a cool update for you all. The bike is on track to be here tomorrow from what the shop is saying but that is not the cool part. The shop has offered to upgrade the bike to a Sram Eagle drivetrain free of charge. Pretty freaking sweet if you ask me. I didn't ask whether it was GX or X01 but either way thats a huge upgrade for the bike. They are also going to throw on a nice set of flat pedals. I spoke with Troy Lee and they are giving me 30% off a A1 helmet to go with the bike. Things are really coming along and I know I'm getting really excited for this.

That makes me smart
    Ok I got a cool update for you all. The bike is on track to be here tomorrow from what the shop is saying but that is not the cool part. The shop has offered to upgrade the bike to a Sram Eagle drivetrain free of charge. Pretty freaking sweet if you ask me. I didn't ask whether it was GX or X01 but either way thats a huge upgrade for the bike. They are also going to throw on a nice set of flat pedals. I spoke with Troy Lee and they are giving me 30% off a A1 helmet to go with the bike. Things are really coming along and I know I'm getting really excited for this.
    **** yeah!

C'mon, fc, lemme post the word fcuk for once.

mtnbkrmike

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Done, Thank you both for your service.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Donated! Come on guys, we all know accessories can add up. This campaign aint over yet!

Broken but on the mend
    Good morning everyone. Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been in the mountains trying to fill my last deer tag the last 4 days. I have an update for you all. The bike has arrived to the shop in SoCal and was being built up yesterday. The bike is being shipped to my address in Sacramento and then I'm going to add a helmet and a few other items before shipping it to Dan in Idaho. As soon as it gets to my house ill pull it out of the box and snap a few pics for you all.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    **** yeah!

C'mon, fc, lemme post the word fcuk for once.
    Gosh darn it. Well, I'll be a fig newton.
    IPA will save America

Totally, and to the max.
    Itíd be awesome if we all sent a simple note over and you could add it to the box. Just an extra dose of stoke to be encouraged by.

Broken but on the mend
    Itíd be awesome if we all sent a simple note over and you could add it to the box. Just an extra dose of stoke to be encouraged by.
    If you or anyone wants to do this you can PM me and Ill give you my address.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Glad to be able to play a small part. I hope he gets to enjoy it before it gets too cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Glad to be able to play a small part. I hope he gets to enjoy it before it gets too cold.

No thank you. Dan is a tropper and I know even when snow is on the ground he will get out and ride at least a few miles everyday.

Broken but on the mend
    The bike is almost done and ready to ship out to Dan. I have a Troy Lee A1 in matte white and some gloves going to him as well.
    Help out a veteran who's having a hard time.-976_1509400266679.jpg

mtbr member
    I took a look at the goal on the Go Fund me and I'm assuming that's accurate that you are shooting for 5k. I'm an Army Infantry veteran and have a lot of veterans on my YouTube channel. I'll put a video together tonight and post it. Hopefully my community can help spread the word and get to this goal. I'll post a link to the vid once it's up and you can share it that way as well. Good looking out for your buddy.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by B1KER View Post
    I took a look at the goal on the Go Fund me and I'm assuming that's accurate that you are shooting for 5k. I'm an Army Infantry veteran and have a lot of veterans on my YouTube channel. I'll put a video together tonight and post it. Hopefully my community can help spread the word and get to this goal. I'll post a link to the vid once it's up and you can share it that way as well. Good looking out for your buddy.
    Yes that is 100% my goal. I would appreciate the exposure you could give it as well with your channal. Off topic your shoe video today was pretty funny.

mtbr member
    Yes that is 100% my goal. I would appreciate the exposure you could give it as well with your channal. Off topic your shoe video today was pretty funny.
    Glad you liked it! The channel is a lot of fun but the most rewarding part is the community. I can't wait to see your buddy be part of the biking community. There is nothing that compares to Singletrack Therapy!

I made a donation and shared that with my "real life" Facebook friends, and will make a quick YouTube video tonight regarding this. I also put up the GoFundMe on my B1KER Facebook page. Hopefully we can see the goal get met.

Broken but on the mend
    Glad you liked it! The channel is a lot of fun but the most rewarding part is the community. I can't wait to see your buddy be part of the biking community. There is nothing that compares to Singletrack Therapy!

I made a donation and shared that with my "real life" Facebook friends, and will make a quick YouTube video tonight regarding this. I also put up the GoFundMe on my B1KER Facebook page. Hopefully we can see the goal get met.
    Thank you Robert! I couldn't of asked for more and your channel is a great platform. I appreciate you sharing this project for me.

mtbr member

Buy a Vet a Bike

Broken but on the mend
    THANK YOU!!! As soon as my wrist is healed we need to go on a ride and ill bring the post ride beers. Again your support along with everyone else's support is going to change Dan's life for the better.

mtbr member
    THANK YOU!!! As soon as my wrist is healed we need to go on a ride and ill bring the post ride beers. Again your support along with everyone else's support is going to change Dan's life for the better.
    Sounds like a plan! I'm definitely down. You had me at ride...but beers too. It's like a double rainbow!!!

~~~
    Mark, you might consider posting some of these updates on the gofundme page, too. It helps when people look at the page and see that it's still actively going.

B1KER,

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    Mark, you might consider posting some of these updates on the gofundme page, too. It helps when people look at the page and see that it's still actively going.

B1KER,
    Thank you for the advise and I will do that ASAP.

Ill give everyone on here a bit of an update as well. The bike is built and I was told it will be shipping to me today. I have not received tracking info yet but once it gets to my house I will be paying for the agree apron portion of the bike.

Dan's new Troy Lee A1 and gloves should be here by Friday. I went to Mikes Bikes today and got him a sweet new Camel Back hydration pack, a nice trail pump, and a multi-tool. I also ran into some of our donors which was very cool. Once I have everything I will put it in the bike box and it will be shipping to Dan.

I wanted to run something by you all as well. There is a good chance there will be some extra money from the GoFundMe page. I would like to donate it to an organization that I know does good work with veterans. The two I had in mind we The Disposable Hero's Project or Mission Volant. As it is not my money, I want your alls input or if you have a recommendation for a different one.

Again thank you all for your help and support. I can't say it enough and I wish there was a better way I could show my gratitude to everyone.
    Help out a veteran who's having a hard time.-20171031_115915.jpg

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Maintenance fund for Dan. Gift card to Competitive Cyclist or an LBS of his choosing?

Dropshot Champ!
    Maintenance fund for Dan. Gift card to Competitive Cyclist or an LBS of his choosing?
    I'm digging this idea. Slice a tire, but can't really afford to replace. Maybe want to try a smaller/bigger ring, etc.

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I'm digging this idea. Slice a tire, but can't really afford to replace. Maybe want to try a smaller/bigger ring, etc.
    Well this might be a good option then. Once everything is paid for Ill see where we are at and look into some ways for him to keep the bike maintained. Thank you and AKD both for your suggestion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If you have money left over, here's a good suggestion for donations. They make sure the least amount of money as possible goes to administration.

https://www.fisherhouse.org/

mtbr member
    I was also thinking of keeping the money headed Dan's way (although I am not opposed to helping out other veterans going through tough times). does he have a bike rack or way to get the bike to the trails?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailGoat View Post
    I was also thinking of keeping the money headed Dan's way (although I am not opposed to helping out other veterans going through tough times). does he have a bike rack or way to get the bike to the trails?
    I agree.

Riding slowly since 1977.

Totally, and to the max.
    You're one alright dude, B1KER. That was awesome. Love your personality and passion. Keep making great vids!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    You're one alright dude, B1KER. That was awesome. Love your personality and passion. Keep making great vids!
    Agreed. Outlook is everything. Where do you live? Kmax and i will take you for a beer.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Agreed. Outlook is everything. Where do you live? Kmax and i will take you for a beer.
    I'm in Sacramento. Same place as the guy who put this together (Mzorich). If Beers are due it's definitely in honor of him. I'm just a guy trying to help the mission. I think Mzorich said he's nursing a hurt wrist so we should plan a little ride that works for all of us and then have the beers. Soooooo what's up Mzorich? When can we ride bikes and drink beers!?!?!

mtbr member
    *In addition I do want to say I agree with the let's get the money to this guy in some way plan. I think ultimately there are more expenses that go with mountain biking more than just the bike. He'll probably want shoes, shirt, shorts, bike rack, floor pump, and all the other crap that we have sitting in our garages. Plus as a contributor I would feel like I donated to him, I would want my money to go to him. If I wanted it to go to a charity, I would have donated to that. Ya know?

Broken but on the mend
    I'm in Sacramento. Same place as the guy who put this together (Mzorich). If Beers are due it's definitely in honor of him. I'm just a guy trying to help the mission. I think Mzorich said he's nursing a hurt wrist so we should plan a little ride that works for all of us and then have the beers. Soooooo what's up Mzorich? When can we ride bikes and drink beers!?!?!

I am very good with beers and yes ny wrist is kinda jacked. Im hoping to do xc type rides by the end of Nov so ill keep you all posted. But in the mean time if any of you are in Sac hit me up I owe you all a beer and a hand shake.

As for the left over money. The group seems to want it to all go to Dan which I am 100% good with. I really just want to be as transparent about this as possible. I think ill turn into a few gift cards. Was thinking one to Competitive Cycle for bike upkeep, maybe a Home Depot card, and a Visa card so he can take the wife out to dinner. Hopefully everypne is good with that.

mtbr member
    Amazon is good for everything!!! I'm biased though...Ever since I started using Amazon I barely go to the store. I'll shoot you my number on DM and we can hook up for some beer in the mean time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    When is the delivery date of Sergeant Dan's bike? I'd love to see a vid or pics .....

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSocko View Post
    When is the delivery date of Sergeant Dan's bike? I'd love to see a vid or pics .....
    So I was told the shop shipped the bike 2 days ago and it should be arriving to my house in Sacramento tomorrow. I havent recieved any shipping info or anything so I cant be 100% on that. As soon as it gets to my house Ill be sure to take it out of the box and snap some good pics. Then im going to rebox everything and it will be shipped to Dan in Idaho for an early Christmas suprise.

mtbr member
    You should reach out to Sergeant Dan's wife and let her in on the deal so she can capture it on video.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    So I was told the shop shipped the bike 2 days ago and it should be arriving to my house in Sacramento tomorrow. I havent recieved any shipping info or anything so I cant be 100% on that. As soon as it gets to my house Ill be sure to take it out of the box and snap some good pics. Then im going to rebox everything and it will be shipped to Dan in Idaho for an early Christmas suprise.
    Right on. Lots of pics please.
    IPA will save America

Broken but on the mend
    Help out a veteran who's having a hard time.-20171102_105245.jpg

So under that she said she was crying she was so happy and excited about this!!! This makes my feelers all fuzzy

mtbr member
    That's soo awesome!!!! Makes me happy to read that.

mtbr member
    the gift card idea is a good one, especially the Visa gift card. you said that he was having a tough time overall with $$. this could also help him take care of some bills or other similar expenses. sometimes just making a little headway on that sort of thing can be a big weight off your shoulders

Broken but on the mend

We did it!!!!

Alright guys the day has come and the bike is here! The bike is absolutely amazing and pretty dang cool. The GX Eagle was a huge upgrade and is shifting as crisp as my X01. Dan's new Troy Lee A1 is looking great, and I got him some cold weather gloves too. With the remaining money I purchased $200.00 in Visa gift cards. Hopefully that should give the family a great head start on christmas funds. At this point any remaining donations I receive will go to Dan and his family. Im still hoping to hit that $5000.00 mark by the end of the campaign. The bike will be shipped out first thing monday so Dan will have a new bike before the end of next week.
    Help out a veteran who's having a hard time.-20171104_131819.jpgHelp out a veteran who's having a hard time.-20171104_121316.jpgHelp out a veteran who's having a hard time.-20171104_121308.jpg

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I hope he enjoys the hell out of that(I sure would). I tried to get my PTSDd buddy hooked on mountain biking, but it didn't take.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I hope he enjoys the hell out of that(I sure would). I tried to get my PTSDd buddy hooked on mountain biking, but it didn't take.
    He is going to this I know. He has the Mt Bike bug bad so this should light a fire under his butt. I just hope it helps his head and lets him clear his mind a bit.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Alright guys the day has come and the bike is here! ...]
    Holy canoli!!!
    IPA will save America

Broken but on the mend
    So I wanted Dan to see his bike with out knowing its his. He had no idea whats coming!Help out a veteran who's having a hard time.-screenshot_20171104-164729.jpg

That makes me smart
    He is going to this I know. He has the Mt Bike bug bad so this should light a fire under his butt. I just hope it helps his head and lets him clear his mind a bit.
    Sweeeeet ride!! Yeah!!!!

mtnbkrmike

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Amazing how this came together!!!

Totally, and to the max.
    So I wanted Dan to see his bike with out knowing its his. He had no idea whats coming!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20171104-164729.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	1165705
    Now THAT is freaking awesome. I wouldn't be able to contain myself. I'd be like "DUDE, IT'S YOURS!!!!!!" He's going to go bananas when it shows up at his house. So exciting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast