aka dan51

Help make the 4-mile Flow Trail in Demo Forest happen

Seems like a pretty sweet deal. I just bought quite a few, hopefully they get here soon.
    Ibis Ripley: $5
    Gotta scroll down to find the "Buy Now" button.

mtbr member
    I bought a few as well. Don't bother buying any more tickets. I'm going to win
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

tastes like chicken
    Here's a sticky-on-the-front-page-post which talks about the Ibis Ripley raffle: Own the Flow Fundraiser | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBOSC)

(Easier to help us fund this awesome trailness)

--m

tastes like chicken

Good job! Thanks!

We are going to run this campaign during the Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival and the Sea Otter. Drew and I are probably going to promoting this trail and the raffle most of the time at the Ibis booth (#412!) at the Sea Otter. Drop by and say hi!

BTW, you guys are awesome. Thanks for promoting this fundraiser. Your reward will be wicked sweet single track in 18-24 months (with some sections opened sooner!)

Own the Flow | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBOSC)
    Last edited by mrtoadsc; 04-10-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: you call that english?

aka dan51
    Whoops! No idea where I got the link from. I was wondering why I didn't see any promotions for it.

mtbr member
    I'll be donating...time and money...then I'll go ride it on my new Ibis. word
    I'm not sure how this works.

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    $5 dollah make you hollah
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help  make the 4-mile Flow Trail in Demo Forest happen-p4020022.jpg  

Help  make the 4-mile Flow Trail in Demo Forest happen-p4020038.jpg  

Help  make the 4-mile Flow Trail in Demo Forest happen-p4020039.jpg  

IPA will save America

I like mtn biking, too
    Hmmm - such a big ask! You either win one of the sweetest bikes known to mankind, or get a sweet trail built. (no brainer!!!)
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Let's ride
    Wow, other than FC, the only people on this thread that thought this frame was worth a whole $5 raffle ticket already owns an Ibis. Sad times... ;-)

Paper or plastic?
    In like Flynn
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

PRETENDURO
    I just donated $100.00. I would probably have donated less were it not for the fact that I am two Rampage IPAs (22 ounce bottles) into the evening.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

~~~
    Well, even though the Bronson is now the best bike ever, and makes my TRc obsolete, I guess I will settle for a "free" Ibis.

middle ring single track
    Hell yeah!
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member

Is this a scam? New Ibis Ripley for $5!?

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I just donated $100.00. I would probably have donated less were it not for the fact that I am two Rampage IPAs (22 ounce bottles) into the evening.
    We encourage drinking and donating.

fc
    We need to help raise $100k to help build what may be the greatest trail we've ever seen in the Bay Area.

This is the replacement to Tractor Trail.

Think Whoops Trail in Bend, Oregon but much longer.

from remer on Vimeo.

Whoops Trail in the video is only 1.7 miles long. Think of what a 4 mile trail will be like.
    IPA will save America

Feral Roadie
    I'm in.

mtbr member
    Why do we need to raise $100,000 dollars to build a trail??? This seems rediculous to me given the number of riders in the area would create an army of a volunteer workforce. Where do you think all the other trails in the area come from? We have an incredibly large and skilled group of trail builders lerking in the shaddows. Give me a shovel and i'll go build you some sweet berms and rollers right now. You don't need a 4 ft wide tractor build trail to have it be a "flow" trail or whatever word we're coining it now so it sounds mellow to land owners. (for the record, i did just donate money, just frustrated about government BS)

Really though, when can I put my shovel in the ground? I'd love to help

mtbr member
    Curious about where we are now with the donations...have we made a dent? I also agree that there will be LOTS of us willing to dig. Just say when...

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Curious about where we are now with the donations...have we made a dent? I also agree that there will be LOTS of us willing to dig. Just say when...
    I WISH there were lots, but all my trail building experience proves otherwise. Hundreds of people ride demo, but when trailwork gets posted we only have 10-15 people.
    The Jim Donelly trail at Coe is about the same length, and crew of people spent many hours to only get it half done in a 2 year span.
    I will gladly let a 4' wide tractor in to do work. It will knock out the rough cut way quicker, and we can fine tune by hand.
    If we did it by hand with the current volunteer rate, my guess is 3+ years to completion.
    The first few work days will have 20+ volunteers, but interest fades quickly as people see how slow going trail building is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I WISH there were lots, but all my trail building experience proves otherwise. Hundreds of people ride demo, but when trailwork gets posted we only have 10-15 people.
    The Jim Donelly trail at Coe is about the same length, and crew of people spent many hours to only get it half done in a 2 year span.
    I will gladly let a 4' wide tractor in to do work. It will knock out the rough cut way quicker, and we can fine tune by hand.
    If we did it by hand with the current volunteer rate, my guess is 3+ years to completion.
    The first few work days will have 20+ volunteers, but interest fades quickly as people see how slow going trail building is.
    I agree with you here though this trail has some mojo behind it as we don't want Marin to beat us. I think turn out will likely be quite a bit stronger than the yearly maintenance work. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Also you are dead on right about the need for machinery. I've walked some parts and scouted the areas and the dead fall is insane. No way we could accomplish with a bunch of fired up hand saws and shovels...not even close.

padded
    So in, and ready to dig
    Looking forward to riding my new Ibis, too
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWheels View Post
    Looking forward to riding my new Ibis, too
    Um, What?!!!
    Let's ride Saturday...Demo, as usual.

mtbr member
    Great project. Thanks to all involved and to IBIS for stepping up to the plate to support this!!!

mtbr member
    MBOSC are a great group of riders and advocates. I'm already in for $100 and I'll be throwing down some more at the STCP TrailHead Cyclery dirt demo this weekend...April 27-28.

QUALITY trail building is a slow methodical process. Sure...can a 4 mile trail be built in a couple months...you betcha! BUT...can a quality 4 mile flow trail be built in/around the most badass trail network in CA in only a couple months...NO. This trail will take lots of time, $$$, manpower, support, and maintenance. The bay area is ready for this to happen...and happen RIGHT!
    "It's not about the bike"

tastes like chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by JefedelosJefes View Post
    Why do we need to raise $100,000 dollars to build a trail??? This seems rediculous to me given the number of riders in the area would create an army of a volunteer workforce. Where do you think all the other trails in the area come from? We have an incredibly large and skilled group of trail builders lerking in the shaddows. Give me a shovel and i'll go build you some sweet berms and rollers right now. You don't need a 4 ft wide tractor build trail to have it be a "flow" trail or whatever word we're coining it now so it sounds mellow to land owners. (for the record, i did just donate money, just frustrated about government BS)

Really though, when can I put my shovel in the ground? I'd love to help
    Thank you for your donation to support this project and we would love for you to help us build this trail.

The $100K pays for a full time trail designer/crew leader and a whole lot of machine time. We will probably bring in IMBA trail solutions to do some consultation. I don't think these costs are unreasonable for a properly designed 4 mile mountain bike trail. We used two methods for cost estimation and $100K is about $5/foot. This is a pretty long trail. One way to think of it is from the upper helipad to the bottom of Sawpit. It would take an army of volunteers a long time to hand build all that trail. We hope to have volunteers do shaping, tuning and finish work.

We want this trail to be completed within 18-24 months and I don't think we can accomplish this with volunteer labor alone. I know a bit about organizing volunteers and it's never that easy. With volunteers, you are basically stealing their time from work, family and riding. I ran a mountain bike festival the other week and that required over 150 volunteers. Also, I've put about 200+ hours into the Emma McCrary trail through trail work, politics, fund raising and helped to recruit the trail crews. Emma's trail is a little over 2 miles long and is almost complete. It required about 3,500+ volunteer hours (plus staff time) over the course of 12 months. Most of the $32K that we raised for that trail was spent (about $22K) on 2 large span bridges and 3 puncheons. The flow trail in Demo doesn't cross any streams or watersheds so we won't have those costs.

During the early stages of the Emma McCrary trail we were working in the field 3-4 days a week. This was much easier in Santa Cruz since some folks could do trail building after work and ride their bikes to the meeting place. Demo is much more remote and recruiting and organizing volunteers to get out there could be difficult. We hope to implement 5 day "spike camps" to consolidate some of the logistics in organizing volunteer work days.

padded
    Um, What?!!!
    Let's ride Saturday...Demo, as usual.
    The one I'm going to win in the drawing Until then it's the beat-up Nomad, which just keeps on rolling. Wish I could say the same for myself...
    Saturday is a maybe, MsWheels is still getting over the Cold From Hell so might need a Saturday to sleep in.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

Let's Ride!
    donated/entered!!!
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    What would be really cool is if whoever won it donated back for a second drawing on either this project, the Mills Peak extension or the Corral Flow trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    What would be really cool is if whoever won it donated back for a second drawing on either this project, the Mills Peak extension or the Corral Flow trail
    Or just this one. Stay away from our donators you Tahoe hoodlum.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    I have been giving this some serious thought if I win. But I really want that bike...

mtbr member
    I understand it is difficult to organize volunteers. What I always found interesting was where I went to college in SLO, they can get over 100 people out to work on trails, but here in the bay where the number of riders is astronomically larger, you can bareally rally 20 people to come help.

What we have in the bay is a culture of take, not work. This is because, however, we have never had a significant legitimate ability to do work and see the direct bennefits without worrying about getting arrested. It will be interesting to see how/if this changes the more work is done to allow us to build fun trails we all want to ride.

The real issue I see with starting like this, is that land owners are going to think it always costs $100,000 dollars to build a trail. With budget problems, we just aren't going to get very many trails. We might get a few, but lets face it, there isn't millions of dollars just waiting to go into bay area mountain bike trails. If, however, we can show that we (as a community) can build quality trails for FREE, well, that changes the game completely. That is how you change the landscape in the bay area. Sweat and blood... not dollars.

mtbr member
    Hey Dan I understand that need a 3rd Ibis, so no worries ;-)

squashyo, not trying to take dollars away, there are several worthy projects in Norcal, just thought a 2nd contest in the same market might not do as well as in another. If the winner wants to keep it I certainly would not look down on anyone who wanted to keep this killer prize, but if you can afford to buy one yourself, why not pay it forward to get more killer trails.

Tractor was the first real long kickass downhill single track I ever rode (Before sawpit was built, so that ages me). A four mile flow trail just kinda boggles my mind, it's gonna be amazing, Demo is still close to my heart and I still get over there a few times a year, so I'm rooting/supporting this effort whole heartily!

Cheers

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Help make the 4-mile Flow Trail in Demo Forest happen

Definitely worth it, awesome culture

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    TahoeBC- don't mind squashyo. He's just an old greedy bastid that wants one more HD in the stable so that he can take turns on them (he's hard on bikes).

Btw- I'll be out there tomorrow to establish a base for my "before" rides to compare to my "after" rides on my new HD. Thanks to everybody who is contributing!

And: Even though typical trail work days at Demo only seem to draw around 15 people, a 4-freaking-mile long flow trail certainly will pull in 50+, right?! Look at all the people that turned out for the Tamo Flow Trail. Time to bring a friend and share a miracle!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 04-26-2013 at 08:50 AM.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

orthonormal
    I'm in. I recently rode Demo for the first time (thanks again, Squashyo!) and I'll be back soon for sure.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

fc
    Don't balk at the budget. It's good to have a goal and targets so this trail can be done right and fast. Also, we can harness all the corporate sponsors and the generous pockets of the bike community.

Millions get raised every other day for this cause and that. Isn't this project worthy?

Also, I talked to many folks about the trail work days recently (oregon, colorado small towns) and they get 50-80 people working in one day. Let's rally.

fc
    IPA will save America

tastes like chicken

We the people ... Some Flow Trail Deets

Most of this is at Own the Flow | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBOSC) but I'd like to copy the highlights here...

First of all, take a look at the vision that we want to bring to the Demo Forest:

Help  make the 4-mile Flow Trail in Demo Forest happen-demoflowtraillettersize20130305hires-sm.jpg

The flow trail will have a length of 3.5-4 miles and will have an average 6-7 percent grade, 38 switchbacks and a net elevation loss of 1280′. The expected trail width will be 3 feet on straight-aways, and somewhat wider on banked turns. It will intersect the Tractor Trail (now a road) in 5 places so there are ample opportunities to "session" sections of the trial.

Features will be designed so that both intermediate and advanced riders will be able to enjoy the features according to their ability and riding speed. For example, jumps will be sited and built with long landings that allow riders to jump at a speed they are comfortable with and have a safe landing area (slower = smaller jump, faster = bigger jump). Rollers will be designed so they can be pumped or doubled depending on rider speed and skill. Any drops in the main line trail will be easily rollable and all difficult features will be located off of the main line of the trail with a braid to bypass them. This design style also minimizes skidding and abrupt changes in trail direction and speed that cause excessive trail wear. The trail will be signed at forks to alternate routes to indicate easy, moderate, advanced, and climbing segments.

Included with this project is a plan for a bike skills development area near the lowest intersection of the new Flow Trail and will have cell phone reception and accessible by emergency vehicles. The skills area could have some balance features, a small jump/pump line, and some progressive drops. There is also room for a picnic table and benches to make an inviting rest point, and possibly interpretive signage about the forest. A large part of the skills area will be funded from the Mark Reynolds Memorial Fund. A plaque memorializing Mark Reynolds, who died at the Sea Otter in 2008 will be placed in this area.

MBoSC holds high standards of trail design and construction. The new trail will be integrated into the landscape as much as possible, using natural features to guide the design and anchor the trail. Areas disturbed by construction will be renaturalized and the trail will be narrowed down after construction. We do not want this trail to feel like it was imposed on the terrain, but rather integrated into the terrain. User speed and sight lines will be carefully considered in the final design of the trail and placement and design of trail features to maximize enjoyment and minimize trail wear from abrupt changes in speed.

This Flow Trail proposal represents a type of trail that does not currently exist on public lands within the greater San Francisco Bay Area but is in high demand from many mountain bikers, who will even travel out of state to experience this kind of riding. This project will provide a demonstration for skeptical land managers of a sustainable trail that incorporates advanced bicycle-oriented trail design and construction techniques. We believe that significant long-term benefits can be realized not only in the Santa Cruz mountains area, but also on a state wide and regional scale by showcasing the benefits of modern trail construction techniques. The Flow Trail will provide an example of the viability of providing a mountain biking trail that is intentionally built to be FUN AND SAFE while protecting natural and cultural resources.

We anticipate that a bulk of the trail construction will be done with machines and skilled operators. Finish work will be done by hand tools and volunteer crews. We are thinking that we would like to have trail building and camping weekends to expedite construction. This trail can be built in 6 segments and each segment may be opened to the public when complete.

We feel that segment 6 starting from the skills area will be the best segment of this trail and will focus a lot of resources building the berms, rollers, table tops and features. Segment 6 has the best soil and slope and will be an amazing complementary loop after a full Sawpit ride while coming back to Hihn's mill. As an added bonus segment 6 will start at the Mark Reynold's memorial skills area. This is a great place to have a bite to eat, socialize, chillax a bit and develop expectations on the skills before hitting the trail back down.

Construction of the flow trail begins May 2013 – yes that soon – and will take between 18-24 months to complete depending on our ability to raise funds and deploy resources into the forest.

You can all help make this trail a reality by supporting this fund raiser at Own the Flow | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBOSC). As an added bonus you can get the opportunity to win a really wicked bike from Ibis configured with FOX, Easton and Shimano components.

Thank you all for supporting new trails in the Bay Area!

mtbr member

Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by mrtoadsc View Post
    Most of this is at Own the Flow | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBOSC) but I'd like to copy the highlights here...

First of all, take a look at the vision that we want to bring to the Demo Forest:
    Fixed:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help  make the 4-mile Flow Trail in Demo Forest happen-bike-lift.jpg  

tastes like chicken
    Fixed:
    Dude: that is hilarious! I wonder if we can get that past the environmental review

mtbr member
    I just dropped $20. Would love to own a Ripley and ride a Demo Flow Trail!

mtbr member
    Dude: that is hilarious! I wonder if we can get that past the environmental review
    Of course the tram would only be available to those that pitch in.

middle ring single track

No Problem...

..it'll fit right in:

grinder
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    ..it'll fit right in
    Hah that is awesome. Nice logo on that thing!

4 tickets in!

mtbr member
    Entered/Donated!

Mr Toad & the organizers -- BRILLIANT WORK thus far! Unreal that this is going to happen.

Please do make sure the crew sticks to the plan of making this trail 100% rideable for Intermediates (as well as kick-ass fun for Experts).

I know that this is the plan, with the ride-arounds for tricky stuff always in place, etc., but as we all know intentions are one thing but what actually happens is sometimes very different.... If the trail somehow were to be built skewing really just toward Expert riders, that would please many top riders for sure, but for the overall MTB community it would be massive lost opportunity.
    Last edited by primordial; 04-27-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: some spelling mistakes

mtbr member
    So this is a general idea since I brought it up at a trail work day:

What about doing a kickstarter-like program for this to get more funding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I was just thinking, if I won, the bike could go to fund my desire for one of these --

Moonlander with BionX - Electric Fat Bike | Video Review - Surly Moonlander with 36V custom BionX motor - EP-BC-BNX-SUR-Moonlander

That said, I do believe a local two time bike winner has bought one ticket. Consider the raffle won. I tried invoking his name on some tickets to no avail

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Just through down for a second round of tickets. This project is worth ever penny!

Blargen
    Donated. Looking forward to doing some digging too. Just say when...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I rode the awesome Tamarancho Flow trail yesterday and we need something like that down south - bought a second round of tickets.

When are we starting to build?
    Correct number of bikes: n+1 bikes
    Correct body weight: m-10 pounds

tastes like chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto'n'PushBiker View Post
    I rode the awesome Tamarancho Flow trail yesterday and we need something like that down south - bought a second round of tickets.

When are we starting to build?
    Hey Moto,

Thank you for your support of the flow trail! Thank you for your second round of funding

The project officially starts in late May but a lot of ground work started in January and the environmental review is in process.

The lack of rain means that the soil conditions are not ideal for building yet so most of the summer will be clearing, planning, environmental review and detailed design work.

We have been talking about building the skills area this summer since it's not dependent on soil conditions and we have a $10K commitment from the Mark Reynolds memorial fund. It would be great to complete this sub-project soon so that his legacy could be fulfilled.

We hope to set up a mailing list to keep the community informed about the project and provide volunteer opportunities soon.

fc
    This is now promoted on mtbr facebook with the 26k subscribers. They may not know the trail but everyone loves a free bling bike. https://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom?ref=hl
    IPA will save America

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    This is now promoted on mtbr facebook with the 26k subscribers. They may not know the trail but everyone loves a free bling bike. https://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom?ref=hl
    Dude! You are ruining my chances of winning!!!!
    Better go buy more tickets to compensate...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    We need to help raise $100k to help build what may be the greatest trail we've ever seen in the Bay Area.

This is the replacement to Tractor Trail.

Think Whoops Trail in Bend, Oregon but much longer.

from remer on Vimeo.

Whoops Trail in the video is only 1.7 miles long. Think of what a 4 mile trail will be like.
    Humm, first I've heard of the "Flow Trail Project". Maybe I'm just dense.

My money will flow to the Flow Trail Project. WHEN I WIN, I will have to go with the Ripley. I'd hope I could sell the fork and front wheel for enough to buy a 29er Lefty.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Dude! You are ruining my chances of winning!!!!
    Better go buy more tickets to compensate...
    Did you demo the Ripley? How was it?

VRC Illuminati
    Donated and ready to put in some trail work hours!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Groveland Trail Heads
    Nice idea!!! I bought 4 tickets to help support. I'd like to add a link for this to the Groveland Trail Heads site.

D-Bug!!!!!!! What's up?
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

mtbr member
    Just bought 20 tickets. I have no interest in a bouncy piece of whatever they are made out of thingie. I am a 60 y/o hardass hardtail idiot but a nice trail is always welcome. in fact, if I do win the raffle, I promise to p
    ut the bike back up for auction (unridden) and donate the funds back into the project. SERIOUSLY!!!

tastes like chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by Nine View Post
    Just bought 20 tickets. I have no interest in a bouncy piece of whatever they are made out of thingie. I am a 60 y/o hardass hardtail idiot but a nice trail is always welcome. in fact, if I do win the raffle, I promise to p
    ut the bike back up for auction (unridden) and donate the funds back into the project. SERIOUSLY!!!
    Nine: Thank you very much for your generousity. This will be a very inclusive trail suitable for kids of all ages including a 60 y/o hard tail rider. Check out this video of a 3 year old enjoying the trail. No suspension, brakes or pedals for that matter.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Nine View Post
    This is called the Nine throwdown.

If I win, I'll install an mtbr top cap that says 'So Stoked' and put it back in the project.

fc
    IPA will save America

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I dont want it either. If I win I just want scot nicol, the prez of mbosc, and the overlord of mtbr to buy me a beer. then I will give the bike back. then I will show up for trail work days.

tastes like chicken

Bump, bump: Last Day (Tues April 30) for the Own the Flow campaign!

Today is the last day for the "Own the Flow" campaign and the opportunity to win a fully loaded Ibis Ripley 29er or Mojo HD in your choice of size and color. The bike will be equipped with FOX, Easton and Shimano components.

Details about the project...

Details about the bike...

Own The Flow | Info | Ibis Cycles US

Starting next month we are starting the project to build a 4 mile purposely built 'flow trail' for mountain bikes in Soquel Demonstration State Forest along the Tractor Trail (now a road) alignment.

This project represents the first purposely built mountain bike trail on public lands in the Bay Area and is quite an ambitious project but the mountain bikers of Santa Clara and Santa Cruz counties are worthy of such an amazing trail. It will be about 4 times longer than the recently completed Tamaracho flow trail. The length is an approximately equivalent distance from the upper helipad along Ridge to the bottom of Sawpit.

This campaign is a great opportunity to help us raise funds to build this trail. The project will start next month and will probably take 18-24 months to complete so your money will be put to work immediately. There are 6 segments and we will open each segment as completed.

We are a small volunteer non-profit organization. If we can get enough funds then we can focus on the construction of this trail rather than fund raising. If you are a mountain biker in the Bay Area then you will probably ride this trail at least once (and probably again and again) so it would be great to help us out. If you can't help us out with funding then please help us with construction. We will organize volunteers next month.

We would like to thank FOX, Easton, Shimano and especially Scot Nicol and Ibis Cycles for helping with this campaign.

This is the last day for this campaign. Donations received by 11:59 pm tonight will qualify for the Ripley/HD drawing. Please share this campaign with your networks!

Thank you for being a part of this campaign and for your support of new (and awesome) mountain bike trails in Santa Cruz county!

tastes like chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by primordial View Post
    Please do make sure the crew sticks to the plan of making this trail 100% rideable for Intermediates (as well as kick-ass fun for Experts).

I know that this is the plan, with the ride-arounds for tricky stuff always in place, etc., but as we all know intentions are one thing but what actually happens is sometimes very different.... If the trail somehow were to be built skewing really just toward Expert riders, that would please many top riders for sure, but for the overall MTB community it would be massive lost opportunity.
    We will definitely ensure that everyone can ride this trail.

If recent history on constructing the Emma McCrary trail in Pogonip is a guide then you will expect a lot of the volunteers will be older retired XC type guys. I'm sure they will build a trail that they can ride as well.

The top riders, pros/experts and bike industry types came out to volunteer on Emma's trail as well but the bulk of our volunteer hours came from the retired guys who can get out during the week to spend a few hours in the woods building trail.

I like mtn biking, too
    Tomorrow 5/1 is the drawing! Time to buy more tickets!

Thanks Mark and all of the mbosc crew for developing the relationships that helped this trail plan come to fruition, and thanks to Ibis and Fox and others and all of you willing to put in the time and money regardless of the incentive! What an awesome community.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Just bought 4 tickets - my HD has been lonely and needs a companion

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Help make the 4-mile Flow Trail in Demo Forest happen

Just bought a second set of tickets. Great opportunity to build a really nice looking trail. Want a Half Nelson equivalent here
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm in for 8 entries.

No one else needs to enter as I will be winning.

However, please contribute to the cause!!!!

I like mtn biking, too
    Wow, Paypal makes it all too easy... Just put in for another 20.
    ~Fairfaxian

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I only got 4 tickets, but I fully expect to win.

tastes like chicken
    Bumpity bump. Only a few hours left.

Generally, MBoSC officers are not allowed to enter our raffles but I just donated and have excluded myself from the raffle. This leave more chances for you folks.

Years ago during one of our first fund raisers MBoSC officers gave generously and we ended up winning just about all the items in the raffle. The folks in the audience were not amused as we pulled tickets and gave the prizes to ourselves. We've never made that mistake again. I have known some officers to enter their spouses and children in the fund raisers as a hedge.

aka dan51
    So did I win?
    How much was raised?
    When can I start digging?
    Did I win?
    Pretty sure I must have won....
    Why isn't Scot calling telling me I've won?
    I better call him...

tastes like chicken
    So did I win?
    How much was raised?
    When can I start digging?
    Did I win?
    Pretty sure I must have won....
    Why isn't Scot calling telling me I've won?
    I better call him...
    AND THE WINNER IS..... ALL OF YOU! WE WILL BE BUILDING A SWEET FLOW TRAIL IN DEMO! CONGRATULATIONS!

We haven't done the raffle yet. We are pulling the data together from multiple sources and are making sure that all folks are accounted for.

The process will look like this: RAFFLE WINNER | News | Info | Ibis Cycles US

The preliminary numbers look really good but we will make an announcement tonight.

This is a high priority but we have day jobs and families so please have patience.

This is pretty exciting and a great start to the flow trail construction. You folks rock!!!

tastes like chicken

We the people ... Own the Flow winner!

We finally processed all the data and and we have a total of 8882 entries and raised a total of $44,410 for the new flow trail. There were 1,640 supporters with an average donation of $27. We added all the entries to a spreadsheet in no particular order and used random.org to pick a number between 1-8882. The number chosen was 7692.

The lucky winner of the Own the Flow Ibis bike is…. Joel Stienberg of Lodi, California. You bought a nice chunk of dirt and have been rewarded with a sweet new bike from Ibis, FOX, Easton and Shimano! Congratulations Joel!

Joel has been an active MBoSC member for many years and has donated and volunteered for many of our projects including building the Emma McCrary trail and the Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival.

Thank you all for participating in this fund raiser. I noticed a lot of mtbr NorCal forum members threw down big time! You guys are awesome! You guys must really love mountain biking or something.

We are all winners because we will be starting the flow trail project within a month!

?Own the Flow? winner of the Ibis Ripley or HD | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBOSC)

mtbr member
    Can't wait until we break ground on this trail and I'm pretty sure this trail will get more trail builders out of the woodworks from working on their own trails to come out and help. Who will have the deciding choice on how big the features are?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    We finally processed all the data and and we have a total of 8882 entries and raised a total of $44,410 for the new flow trail. There were 1,640 supporters with an average donation of $27. We added all the entries to a spreadsheet in no particular order and used random.org to pick a number between 1-8882. The number chosen was 7692.
    I call shenanigans. I just went there, and number was 7983. That is my number.

Oh, well, I guess a nice trail will do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    Can't wait until we break ground on this trail and I'm pretty sure this trail will get more trail builders out of the woodworks from working on their own trails to come out and help. Who will have the deciding choice on how big the features are?
    Well, the problem is gonna be that the forest service doesn't like anything which gets people killed. However, we will have a trail machine so we could build some bigger tables.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by erisch View Post
    Well, the problem is gonna be that the forest service doesn't like anything which gets people killed.
    Is it really a problem?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

You all own it now

Let us repeat that number:
    Help  make the 4-mile Flow Trail in Demo Forest happen-851x315-owntheflowresult.jpg
    Thanks everyone, that's a huge result for Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz. Your donations were super generous, and from all of us at Ibis, we thank you.

mtbr member
    Thank you Scot. Way to pony up.

Also, huge thanks to MBOSC on a really well run campaign. Looks like we're about half way there in terms of $$.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Is it really a problem?
    You don't know the features beavers would build ...

But seriously, I think we should be able to build sizable features, not on the main line but to the side. Just need enough people showing up for the trailwork days working on those. I have been to a bunch of workdays where people tell me: "Why would I work on something I'll never ride?".

mtbr member
    Thanks Ibis! Not only for the support but for building the sweet Mojo HD I ride today. You guys rock!

Now, let's start building!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by erisch View Post
    But seriously, I think we should be able to build sizable features, not on the main line but to the side. Just need enough people showing up for the trailwork days working on those. I have been to a bunch of workdays where people tell me: "Why would I work on something I'll never ride?".
    I think the idea of roll-able tables and rollers that you can double is a very sound one. Fun for the whole family. Other trails are right nearby where one could build bigger and badder features - I would rather have this one made faster than made with more lines/options. But judging from what had been said it is in good hands... ...not trying to argue here, we all should enjoy that the project is off to a good start. Well, as good as it can be with me not winning that bike. Damn it, I counted on it.

Paper or plastic?
    Looking forward to riding it. Corral, Sulphur, Flow trail would be a blast.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

SOG
    mtbr member
    curious when built what type of trail maintenance will occur? i would think with so many people riding the trail it would develop braking bumps quickly. glad i coughed up some cash for the cause and hopefully i'll actually ride it since often i'm too lazy to drive to demo (although it is a great place to ride).

tastes like chicken

Features

Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    The short answer is: whoever shows up to build the trail.

The longer answer (from the flow trail project page):

Features will be designed so that both intermediate and advanced riders will be able to enjoy the features according to their ability and riding speed. For example, jumps will be sited and built with long landings that allow riders to jump at a speed they are comfortable with and have a safe landing area (slower = smaller jump, faster = bigger jump). Rollers will be designed so they can be pumped or doubled depending on rider speed and skill. Any drops in the main line trail will be easily rollable and all difficult features will be located off of the main line of the trail with a braid to bypass them.

Our objectives for this trail is to create a trail for all levels of mountain bikers. This will be an inclusive trail. As long as we have A-lines and B-lines we're good.

We made $44,410 from the Ripley flow trail raffle and we intend to spend it to get this trail built. Drew and I have been discussing this project. We will be forming a flow trial sub-committee soon. Perhaps start this organization at the MBoSC monthly meeting at Seabright Brewery this Monday.

mtbr member
    If you need volunteers for Sub-committee, my hands is up in the air. Though getting over the hill for meetings is not really in my wheel house. I will dig like a mutha though.

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Ditto. I have lots of free time these days, so just say the word.

And thanks, Ibis, for getting this kick-started. Even though I failed in my bid to win the HD and obtain the coveted Ibis trifecta--Tranny/SL/HD--I will continue to support you and the Golden Flow Trail (or whatever you decide to call it).
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Bumping thread to get new info on the Flow Trail progress or volunteer opportunities. Unfortunately I cannot make it to the MBoSC meetings.

PRETENDURO
    Guess I’d better start riding there (haven’t even been there yet!!! ) seeing how I donated a $200.00 section earlier in 2013.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

VRC Illuminati
    I got my MBoSC decal in the mail the other day. Now proudly on my truck.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Guess I’d better start riding there (haven’t even been there yet!!! ) seeing how I donated a $200.00 section earlier in 2013.
    I wouldn't admit to not riding demo living in the area. You might have to provide beer for the entire parking lot on your maiden voyage.

Here is "the double" which will get you 2 of the current better trails if you decide to go without a guide.

A link to export to your gamin if you want

mtbr member
    Hit the new Coral reroute...not bad! That new jump though is less than ideal though. Way to flat of a landing for the height (crushed my ball sack and was on a 8" travel bike)...sorta the reason I hope I can get invited to help build. I've built a lot of jumps and know what works.

Also, super disappointed that they removed the bowl route on lower Braille. That section never flooded and the new route is not only a flow kill but it takes away the mini step up which was always fun.

Really hope we (me in particular) have some input into what is being put in and removed...

Demo was fun today...warm!!!

middle ring single track

8" sack???

Hit the new Coral reroute...not bad! That new jump though is less than ideal though. Way to flat of a landing for the height (crushed my ball sack and was on a 8" travel bike)...sorta the reason I hope I can get invited to help build. I've built a lot of jumps and know what works.

Also, super disappointed that they removed the bowl route on lower Braille. That section never flooded and the new route is not only a flow kill but it takes away the mini step up which was always fun.

Really hope we (me in particular) have some input into what is being put in and removed...

Demo was fun today...warm!!!
    For sure the Corral reroute is nowhere near finished yet; perhaps the lower half is halfway there? Soil too dry to build decent features to completion but there's still work that can be done before working conditions improve in winter.

Rumor has it that there may be another Corral TWD near the end of the month. Stay tuned...