Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    aka dan51

Help make the 4-mile Flow Trail in Demo Forest happen

Seems like a pretty sweet deal. I just bought quite a few, hopefully they get here soon.
    Ibis Ripley: $5
    Gotta scroll down to find the "Buy Now" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    I bought a few as well. Don't bother buying any more tickets. I'm going to win
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

tastes like chicken
    Here's a sticky-on-the-front-page-post which talks about the Ibis Ripley raffle: Own the Flow Fundraiser | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBOSC)

(Easier to help us fund this awesome trailness)

--m

tastes like chicken

Good job! Thanks!

We are going to run this campaign during the Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival and the Sea Otter. Drew and I are probably going to promoting this trail and the raffle most of the time at the Ibis booth (#412!) at the Sea Otter. Drop by and say hi!

BTW, you guys are awesome. Thanks for promoting this fundraiser. Your reward will be wicked sweet single track in 18-24 months (with some sections opened sooner!)

Own the Flow | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBOSC)
    Last edited by mrtoadsc; 04-10-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: you call that english?

aka dan51
    Whoops! No idea where I got the link from. I was wondering why I didn't see any promotions for it.

mtbr member
    I'll be donating...time and money...then I'll go ride it on my new Ibis. word
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

swag ho Administrator
    $5 dollah make you hollah
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help  make the 4-mile Flow Trail in Demo Forest happen-p4020022.jpg  

Help  make the 4-mile Flow Trail in Demo Forest happen-p4020038.jpg  

Help  make the 4-mile Flow Trail in Demo Forest happen-p4020039.jpg  

IPA will save America

I like mtn biking, too
    Hmmm - such a big ask! You either win one of the sweetest bikes known to mankind, or get a sweet trail built. (no brainer!!!)
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Wow, other than FC, the only people on this thread that thought this frame was worth a whole $5 raffle ticket already owns an Ibis. Sad times... ;-)

Paper or plastic?
    In like Flynn
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

PRETENDURO
    I just donated $100.00. I would probably have donated less were it not for the fact that I am two Rampage IPAs (22 ounce bottles) into the evening.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

~~~
    Well, even though the Bronson is now the best bike ever, and makes my TRc obsolete, I guess I will settle for a "free" Ibis.

middle ring single track
    Hell yeah!
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member

Is this a scam? New Ibis Ripley for $5!?

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I just donated $100.00. I would probably have donated less were it not for the fact that I am two Rampage IPAs (22 ounce bottles) into the evening.
    We encourage drinking and donating.

swag ho Administrator
    We need to help raise $100k to help build what may be the greatest trail we've ever seen in the Bay Area.

This is the replacement to Tractor Trail.

Think Whoops Trail in Bend, Oregon but much longer.

Own the Flow | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBOSC)

Local Motion from remer on Vimeo.

Whoops Trail in the video is only 1.7 miles long. Think of what a 4 mile trail will be like.
    IPA will save America

Feral Roadie
    I'm in.

mtbr member
    Why do we need to raise $100,000 dollars to build a trail??? This seems rediculous to me given the number of riders in the area would create an army of a volunteer workforce. Where do you think all the other trails in the area come from? We have an incredibly large and skilled group of trail builders lerking in the shaddows. Give me a shovel and i'll go build you some sweet berms and rollers right now. You don't need a 4 ft wide tractor build trail to have it be a "flow" trail or whatever word we're coining it now so it sounds mellow to land owners. (for the record, i did just donate money, just frustrated about government BS)

Really though, when can I put my shovel in the ground? I'd love to help

mtbr member
    Curious about where we are now with the donations...have we made a dent? I also agree that there will be LOTS of us willing to dig. Just say when...

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Curious about where we are now with the donations...have we made a dent? I also agree that there will be LOTS of us willing to dig. Just say when...
    I WISH there were lots, but all my trail building experience proves otherwise. Hundreds of people ride demo, but when trailwork gets posted we only have 10-15 people.
    The Jim Donelly trail at Coe is about the same length, and crew of people spent many hours to only get it half done in a 2 year span.
    I will gladly let a 4' wide tractor in to do work. It will knock out the rough cut way quicker, and we can fine tune by hand.
    If we did it by hand with the current volunteer rate, my guess is 3+ years to completion.
    The first few work days will have 20+ volunteers, but interest fades quickly as people see how slow going trail building is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I WISH there were lots, but all my trail building experience proves otherwise. Hundreds of people ride demo, but when trailwork gets posted we only have 10-15 people.
    The Jim Donelly trail at Coe is about the same length, and crew of people spent many hours to only get it half done in a 2 year span.
    I will gladly let a 4' wide tractor in to do work. It will knock out the rough cut way quicker, and we can fine tune by hand.
    If we did it by hand with the current volunteer rate, my guess is 3+ years to completion.
    The first few work days will have 20+ volunteers, but interest fades quickly as people see how slow going trail building is.
    I agree with you here though this trail has some mojo behind it as we don't want Marin to beat us. I think turn out will likely be quite a bit stronger than the yearly maintenance work. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Also you are dead on right about the need for machinery. I've walked some parts and scouted the areas and the dead fall is insane. No way we could accomplish with a bunch of fired up hand saws and shovels...not even close.

padded
    So in, and ready to dig
    Looking forward to riding my new Ibis, too
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWheels View Post
    Looking forward to riding my new Ibis, too
    Um, What?!!!
    Let's ride Saturday...Demo, as usual.

mtbr member
    Great project. Thanks to all involved and to IBIS for stepping up to the plate to support this!!!

mtbr member
    MBOSC are a great group of riders and advocates. I'm already in for $100 and I'll be throwing down some more at the STCP TrailHead Cyclery dirt demo this weekend...April 27-28.

QUALITY trail building is a slow methodical process. Sure...can a 4 mile trail be built in a couple months...you betcha! BUT...can a quality 4 mile flow trail be built in/around the most badass trail network in CA in only a couple months...NO. This trail will take lots of time, $$$, manpower, support, and maintenance. The bay area is ready for this to happen...and happen RIGHT!
    "It's not about the bike"

tastes like chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by JefedelosJefes View Post
    Why do we need to raise $100,000 dollars to build a trail??? This seems rediculous to me given the number of riders in the area would create an army of a volunteer workforce. Where do you think all the other trails in the area come from? We have an incredibly large and skilled group of trail builders lerking in the shaddows. Give me a shovel and i'll go build you some sweet berms and rollers right now. You don't need a 4 ft wide tractor build trail to have it be a "flow" trail or whatever word we're coining it now so it sounds mellow to land owners. (for the record, i did just donate money, just frustrated about government BS)

Really though, when can I put my shovel in the ground? I'd love to help
    Thank you for your donation to support this project and we would love for you to help us build this trail.

The $100K pays for a full time trail designer/crew leader and a whole lot of machine time. We will probably bring in IMBA trail solutions to do some consultation. I don't think these costs are unreasonable for a properly designed 4 mile mountain bike trail. We used two methods for cost estimation and $100K is about $5/foot. This is a pretty long trail. One way to think of it is from the upper helipad to the bottom of Sawpit. It would take an army of volunteers a long time to hand build all that trail. We hope to have volunteers do shaping, tuning and finish work.

We want this trail to be completed within 18-24 months and I don't think we can accomplish this with volunteer labor alone. I know a bit about organizing volunteers and it's never that easy. With volunteers, you are basically stealing their time from work, family and riding. I ran a mountain bike festival the other week and that required over 150 volunteers. Also, I've put about 200+ hours into the Emma McCrary trail through trail work, politics, fund raising and helped to recruit the trail crews. Emma's trail is a little over 2 miles long and is almost complete. It required about 3,500+ volunteer hours (plus staff time) over the course of 12 months. Most of the $32K that we raised for that trail was spent (about $22K) on 2 large span bridges and 3 puncheons. The flow trail in Demo doesn't cross any streams or watersheds so we won't have those costs.

During the early stages of the Emma McCrary trail we were working in the field 3-4 days a week. This was much easier in Santa Cruz since some folks could do trail building after work and ride their bikes to the meeting place. Demo is much more remote and recruiting and organizing volunteers to get out there could be difficult. We hope to implement 5 day "spike camps" to consolidate some of the logistics in organizing volunteer work days.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast