mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Helmets with visors

I'm into season two with my Kali Maraka-XC. Great helmet (lightweight, good ventilation etc..) however...

The visor is totally useless. Are visors, for mountain biking, purely cosmetic? I used to think (and i recall from my my older and retired helmets) the visors were lower so that with your more upright riding position they could block some sun. On this, it's useless.

Hella Olde
    On an XC race helmet the sun-blockage is pretty minimal. That Kali appears to be mainly cosmetic. Luckily, that model does have proprietary SuperVents.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Specialized Ambush and Giro Montaro started coming out with big, useful visors that would stay in position and could be controlled. Finally!

But the finest visior these days is from one of the bestest helmets today... the Bell Sixer.

Helmets with visors-img_8359.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    and FC posts a picture of another useless visor

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've always appreciated a good functional visor (medium to large). My POC Trabec has a really small visor and if I prefer not using it when I ride in non-wooded areas during the summer. My retired FOX Metah had an oversized visor and my current Bell Super 2 has what I think is the perfect size.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    and FC posts a picture of another useless visor
    It's in vent mode. Some of these new visors are so big that when you put them up, they act as scoops to tunnel airflow into your head.

This visor is so big that I never really put it all the way down. It has 4 clicks and I'll go 3 clicks down. Otherwise I can't see schite.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Specialized Ambush and Giro Montaro started coming out with big, useful visors that would stay in position and could be controlled. Finally!

But the finest visior these days is from one of the bestest helmets today... the Bell Sixer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8359.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	1207352
    I have one on route from jenson in black. I wasn't thrilled with how high it sits but I'll have to deal with it. Whats your take on fit, helmet size - like overall girth - do you feel like Lord Helmet?

Name:  lordhelmet.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  5.0 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i wouldn't categorized the visor on any ole baseball cap as an eclipse either.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    I have one on route from jenson in black. I wasn't thrilled with how high it sits but I'll have to deal with it. Whats your take on fit, helmet size - like overall girth - do you feel like Lord Helmet?

Name:  lordhelmet.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  5.0 KB
    The Sixer fits me really well. So it sits nicely. I have a slightly oval head (from the top) and this fits me well with no hot spots.

Ofen, the shape of folks head doesn't match a helmet so they size up. That is really not good. You want the head to fit the shell nicely and not compensate with pads or a retention system. You want the helmet to be as small as reasonable.

A big helmet means more chances of hitting obstructions and more leverage force to your head when you hit something.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    I have a huge head. The Bell Super 3R MIPS with removal full face attachment, fits me perfectly. I like being able to move the visor up, tighten the visor screws, and it stays up. I rarely use the full face attachment.

L1MEY
    I have a Troy Lee A1 and the visor works as intended if I have it in the lower position.
    Ride like a girl!

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I am on my 3rd Maraka in a row. You need to pull visor down, and drive a small pan head screw to keep visor down. About 1/4 inch long. After that, you can flip visor back up an inch, or slip it over screw head and it will stay down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Cut one wish scissors as large as you like from plastic wall board and rivet it to the existing useless visor. I did it on a Poc Trebec Race for AZT and just left it on for trail riding with a little extra trimming.

Helmets with visors-6db30e7a-3ed5-4d29-ae04-519b0ebb736d.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Cut one wish scissors as large as you like from plastic wall board and rivet it to the existing useless visor. I did it on a Poc Trebec Race for AZT and just left it on for trail riding with a little extra trimming.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6DB30E7A-3ED5-4D29-AE04-519B0EBB736D.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	1207524
    That's resourceful... I always thought my Trabec could use a larger visor.