mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Helmets are a beautiful thing!

Make sure and wear your helmets when out on the trail. Yesterday I washed out and ended up hitting a tree with my head. I was able to ride out and soon after taken to ER to have my noggin examined. Luckily for me I was soon released with a concusion and just need some rest. Oh, one other thing, always a good idea to ride with friends. If it wasn't for my buddies I probably would have had a hard time finding my way out and to the hospital.

Helmets are a beautiful thing!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359322199.740849.jpg

Slowest Rider
    That's quite a dent in the tree! What's your helmet look like. Time for new one I suspect.

Good to hear you're OK.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Cheesiest
    Damn! Glad to hear the helmet saved your noggin'.

I always wear a helmet and it's saved me multiple times.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

Don't Tread on Me
    Helmets are life savers. Congratulations on living through that!
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    glad you are ok
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Damn man, glad you're okay! Can't believe some people don't wear helmets.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Paper or plastic?
    Is the tree ok?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

HTFU!

Yes, Helmets Are Good

This pic taken a few months ago after a guy put his foot down on the wrong side of the trail and fell 30+ ft. down a gorge to the rocks below. The fact that we were able to get him out with only a minor leg injury and a concussion really is amazing.

I tried to put arrows on the pic of the interior to show all the places the helmet was broken.
    Whenever I see someone riding w/o a helmet, I yell out "Dibs on your liver!" 'cause they will be donating soon enough.

Helmets are a beautiful thing!-helmet1.jpg

Helmets are a beautiful thing!-helmet2.1.jpg
    I no longer deserve a signature.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I can't remember who I was riding with, but some guy and his son passed us as they were going down Braille, and the dad didn't have a helmet on. We were all like wtf.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    This pic taken a few months ago after a guy put his foot down on the wrong side of the trail and fell 30+ ft. down a gorge to the rocks below. The fact that we were able to get him out with only a minor leg injury and a concussion really is amazing.

I tried to put arrows on the pic of the interior to show all the places the helmet was broken.
    Whenever I see someone riding w/o a helmet, I yell out "Dibs on your liver!" 'cause they will be donating soon enough.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helmet1.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	756440

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helmet2.1.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	756441
    I usually comment about "miracle hair" if someone is riding sans helmet.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Here is a picture of point of contact. I'll post a picture of the helmet once I get back from dinner. Still a little sore with a slight headache but very minor considering the impact.

Helmets are a beautiful thing!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359336109.230941.jpg

rho
    Life is strange
    Glad your ok!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you are ever in Castro Valley go to Endless Cycles and check out there wall of broken helmets and thick of what would happen to those riders if they had crashed without helmets.

ask
    user
    Glad you are ok man! That looks like it was pretty rough.
    "...That said, we exhausted the comedy material in this thread, so we're done here." -KMax

Resident Curmudgeon
    Hell I won't even ride down my driveway without my lid on. Helmets: preventing riders from living out their days drooling in a wheelchair.

glad you are mostly OK
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Glad your ok. I hit my head hard on the driveway. My head and my shoulder hit at the same time and I separated my shoulder but my head was good. I was wearing my helmet.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear that bassn. IMO any concussion is a serious injury. What did the ER recommend? Will you see your PCP also?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tosa View Post
    Sorry to hear that bassn. IMO any concussion is a serious injury. What did the ER recommend? Will you see your PCP also?
    Thanks! I agree, any concussion should be taken seriously. ER recommended rest, no driving, close observation for the next 24 hours, and definitely no bike riding without my PCP approval. Stayed off the pain pills today because I wanted to feel what really hurts, and all is well. My guess is that I'll be cleared to ride by next week, at least I hope

Wēk Sôs
    glad you're ok. don't rush it. head injuries are no joke.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Holy crap! Glad you are mostly ok. Heal up soon

It's about showing up.
    Okay, I'll break the news..
    Dude, all your words are backwards.
    Someone had to say it. Jeez, do I have to do everything?
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 01-27-2013 at 10:18 PM.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Okay, I'll break the news..
    All your words are backwards.
    Someone had to say it.
    Ahah,,,Si siht retteb?

It's about showing up.
    Actually, no. Get some rest.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    +1 for this post... I hit allow tree branch today at china camp...

PRETENDURO
    Glad to hear you’re OK… but I will grill you and insist that it would not have happened if you’d been racing at CCCX instead (lack of large trees there).

BTW, how’s the XX1 setup working for you?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Good news you were not hurt worse Alan. We were talking with a hiker yesterday who works for Calstar. Insurance is something like 40 dollars a year for the chopper ride out and LG man and I are thinking of getting it. Kaiser paid the chopper ride for my daughter after a broken hip last year in a car accident. Will this one change the way you think about life, riding, etc.?
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Did this occur moments after you said, "Hey guys, watch this!" Don't do that anymore.

I'm not sure how this works.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    +1 for this post... I hit allow tree branch today at china camp...
    Jeanette said it knocked you off your bike too It was good riding with you and your bros yesterday.

It's about showing up.
    BASSN, how are you doing today?
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    BASSN, how are you doing today?
    I'm doing well today Mike. Thank you! I basically rested the whole day and watched movies .

mtbr member
    Glad you are OK. Concussions take a while to heal. Stay mellow for a while. Back to back concussions do really bad damage. The Superbowl is this weekend. A good way to kill some time.

I have 3 friends that would be dead if they were not wearing helmets while mtn biking.
    One left by ambulance, two others took helicopter rides.

Wear a skid lid.
    When you hit your head hard, go get a new one.

Type A
    So I'm glad the helmet saved your head. However, I'm one of those crazy people who, hold onto your hats, doesn't wear a helmet all the time. It's called a calculated risk and I wish that all of you who freak out when you see me without a helmet would keep your thoughts to yourself. I can't tell you how much grief I get from total stranger mountain bikers. We all take risks. Do you speed? Did you have sex before you were married? There's also an offsetting issue that many forget it's called compensating risk, i.e. the safer you feel, the more risk you take. I fully understand that I'm taking a risk. However, I adjust my riding appropriately. Can I count on that my skill will protect me 100%? No, but just because you have a helmet on doesn't make you invincible either. I grew up before helmets, seatbelts, child safety harnesses, etc. and kids weren't dropping like flys. All of this cultural safety hypersensitivity is out of control in my opinion.

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    So I'm glad the helmet saved your head. However, I'm one of those crazy people who, hold onto your hats, doesn't wear a helmet all the time. It's called a calculated risk and I wish that all of you who freak out when you see me without a helmet would keep your thoughts to yourself. I can't tell you how much grief I get from total stranger mountain bikers. We all take risks. Do you speed? Did you have sex before you were married? There's also an offsetting issue that many forget it's called compensating risk, i.e. the safer you feel, the more risk you take. I fully understand that I'm taking a risk. However, I adjust my riding appropriately. Can I count on that my skill will protect me 100%? No, but just because you have a helmet on doesn't make you invincible either. I grew up before helmets, seatbelts, child safety harnesses, etc. and kids weren't dropping like flys. All of this cultural safety hypersensitivity is out of control in my opinion.
    Dibs on your liver!
    I no longer deserve a signature.

Slowest Rider
    Yes, helmets are only part of the equation. My friend while on an typical trail saw a biker hauled away with his head split full open in spite of him wearing a helmet, after going straight head first into a tree.

And most MTB injuries are to arms, shoulders, or collarbones. Sometimes one will face plant, with no protection unless wearing a full face helmet, which most of us rarely do.

On the road, if one gets nailed by a car or truck, one is in bad shape and a helmet is only marginally helpful.

The greatest value of a helmet is that it can protect the most critical part of the body. Other parts can be fixed.

My point is that although it's important to wear a helmet, it's just one element of safety. Caution is probably the single most critical safety tool.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

James.Hamilton
    Another example of a piece of equipment doing what it is supposed to, glad to hear you are ok.

For me any pedaling on my bike comes with a helmet. When thinking of some of my most painful falls I was actually at the end or start of a ride and not hammering it out on the trail, the time when some would feel it isn't necessary to wear one.

In the past year I have gone through two helmets, one a bike helmet and the other my snowboard helmet. I tagged a tree last winter with my ski helmet and decided it could have caused structural damage so it was done imo. At the end of the race season this summer I went down coming into a turn at around 23 mph. The first thing to hit the ground was my head and I cracked my helmet in at least 5 places. Luckily no concussion and I was able to walk away.

So in the past 20 years of biking and almost as long with a helmet skiing I have only broken two which makes the expense of all other helmets worth it.

One thing that I do as a personal rule is immediately cut off the straps so the helmet can not ever be used again. Too many people are riding around with old or damaged helmets now knowing the level or protection they may get. Replacement of perfectly sound helmets that have been used for years is recommended by the manufacturers and makes sense. If the materials degrade they will not perform to their best when you need it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I agree. I never wore a helmet until I raced in college. Then, it was only in a race. Now I wear a helmet whenever I mt bike, sometimes full face, sometimes the bucket/open face. I never wear a helmet around town on my cruiser. Paying attention to my surroundings will probably get me farther than a helmet will. Couple of questions for the safety firsters:

1. How do you justify not wearing a full face all the time since a full face provides significantly more protection to your face and upper back of neck?

2. Why don't you wear body armor when road biking? If you get hit by a car, bus, etc there are other vital organs besides the brain? Afterall, I would think the consequences of crashing on a 10 ft drop in a terrain park would be less than getting hit by a car going 25 mph. I see lots of body armour in the terrain park but none on the street, why is that?

Personally, I base my decisions on the amount of risk I am willing to accept.

rho
    Life is strange
    To all the people who will start chiming in with the "I pay attention, blahblahblahblah no need for helmets sometimes or on cruisers or blah blah blah... "

You are the only person who you have to justify your choice to. You are the one taking that risk and making that choice. There is no need to try to justify your choices to the rest of us.

I for one, won't be changing my mind or opinion about your choices. I will still think you all are a bunch of idiots.

Btw. My younger brother made some poor choices and ended up in ICU for a week while riding the Los Gatos Creek trail.
    Which is paved.
    He had to have brain surgery.
    He fractured his skull.
    He was not wearing a helmet.
    The outcome of his accident would have been different if he had been wearing a helmet. I'm pretty sure he still would have broken his face, but he wouldn't have fractured his skull.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am sorry to hear about your brother. I say that as someone who has made more bad choices than I care to remember.

To clarify, I was not justifying anything to anyone. I was simply stating my opinion just as others had stated their opinions. I did not realize that my opinion was so offensive. I was just curious how others draw the line. Even those that wear helmets all the time are still making a risk based decision on the type of helmet they are wearing among other things. I don't beleive either side is an idiot (although I have been called worse for less), just different opinions.

Should be a nice weekend, I hope everyone is able to get out for a ride.

Type A
    Life is risky. It's up to each person to determine their comfort level. Just realize that every time that you judge someone for their decision, there is someone that thinks that your decisions are equally stupid. Using this safety is king reasoning, is the person who sits at home hermetically sealed inside of a bomb shelter making the best decision? We can all point to bad things that have happened to people doing the most mundane of things, yet we don't stop many of these actions. Just because we have different risk comfort levels, doesn't make one right and another wrong.

A young teenager that I took out of the climbing gym and helped to start his path to outdoor climbing is now the best free-soloist climber in the world, i.e. does not use ropes or protection. You may have seen him on 60 minutes or the cover of national geographic. Am I willing to do what he does? No... But, I don't look down on him either. One thing is certain, he experiences life on a whole different level than nearly anyone in human history. It's too intense for me, but more power to him. Not wearing a helmet is child's play in comparison to the risk he assumes to make a living.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Damn man, glad you're okay! Can't believe some people don't wear helmets.
    Seriously

I see people riding all the time in Pisgah and DuPont without helmets and just shake my head. The people that I think are bigger idiots are the ones who take the time to wear a helmet but not to buckle it. I mean what a strange concept. lol

OP, Glad to see you are OK.
    I would hate to see what you would look like if you were not wearing it.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Glad your OK! Happened to me last year. Helmets are good.

BTW-Giro had an amazingly generous crash replacement program. I had no idea. Just sent them a thanks for saving my head email, and they offered a new one at cost...get outta here!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    just switched to full face - not looking back
    Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29er - "Bike 'Til You Barf!"

Members who have read this thread: 0