Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hellride - multiple posts to this

Fast Eddy this is for you.

Preview Days

I've never been to DV so I had to get a quick look at the main trails. I took the shuttle to Packer Saddle and headed off towards the Lakes Basin. I managed to find a lot of OHV routes with rocks you would crawl over in a jeep. Climbing (hiking) back up was a HAB hell.
    Eventually I descended to a dirt road that led to the babyheads. I went up the road back to the saddle so I could take the Sunrise trail like normal people do. I got there just as the shuttle left a group of 8 people off.

Great luck! This was a friendly group that was happy to have me along. They knew the route so I didn't have to waste time at every junction. They had a noob with them so even with their big bikes and armor I managed to hang on. In fact I was taking chances I wouldn't if I were alone. But I was in good company the group was 4 ER doctors (2 men, 2 women), 3 nurses, and a BF all from Kaiser in Sacramento.

Now it's time to hydrate, rest, & eat. Coverage will be spotty after this. I don't know what digs Santa Cruz will provide.

Many many thanks to the voters that made this possible. I better give thanks now! LOL

Last edited by pacman; 08-06-2008 at 08:28 AM.

mtbr member

Hellride Day 1

Pictures from breakfast at the loft of Yuba Expeditions.

(I'm posting from Mammoth so internet may be flakey)

Kristin Butcher (Catzilla)

Norcal's Kelly

Josh (Santa Cruz Bicycles) was flagging the route on a moto and fell and injured his leg (broken tibia).

View from the loft.

mtbr member

Day 1 - continued

Matthew from Colorado

Vanessa

Aaron

Kristin cooking bacon with Mike from SC.

mtbr member

Hellride T minus 1

Since I was early to Downieville I was in the shop when the doors opened for the official get-a-bike day.

I rode a large Nomad.

Zerk fittings

mtbr member

Pre-rides

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Impy
    I think he's up there now checkin' out the scene...knowing doug he will be analyzing it in true rocket scientist style

Impy knows me for sure.

I leisurely rode a few trails in the area as any tourist would. I rode up and down the Lavezolla creek area which was very pretty. Apparenty some trees escaped the miners' axes. There were trees with 8-foot thick trunks that had to be old growth and a larger species that resembled Sequoias (?).

Turns out that this was part of the return leg of lap 1.

It was impossible to capture the big trees in pictures as they were huge shadows behind a screen of smaller trees (which are themselves too tall to capture).

Last edited by pacman; 08-05-2008 at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member

Hellride Day 2 & Summary

I have to thank the Santa Cruz and Yuba Expedition people for the work and enthusiasm put into the event. It's clear they love what they're doing and love mountain biking. It wouldn't be the same if it were done by corporate drones.

The women were housed in the Carriage House. The men had a house and deck on the river directly opposite the diving hole (bike ramp jump).

Everyone one was super nice. Mark Weir was congratulatory both in the pre-ride games and the post-ride events. He was encouraging too as he passed me. I never heard any trash talk from anyone including the competitors. Everyone settled into the mode of do what you can and have a good time doing it.

I didn't win but I got a lot of riding in. The night before Santa Cruz took us to dinner at the steakhouse. The waitress served food in shifts, I was in the last group and she happened to lose our order. I finally got some fatty roast beef that was advertised as tri-tip (NOT). Finished at 10:30PM. It would have an effect the next day.

We started at 7AM. I had to make some pit stops in the bushes. Anyway I got near the top of the first loop (7089') and the Santa Cruz guys on motos said it was time to turn around. Further on the extreme hike-a-bike would cost too much time for everyone (me and the moto sweeps). I could ride the second loop if I wanted. I did the initial climb (loop2) and finished with ~10,000' climbing. SC said that last year the entire course was ridable, this year they designed in a lot of un-ridable.

Coming down I met up with "bacon" Butcher. She was monitoring herself with an HRM to keep her pulse down. Previous to the race she found she was pregnant so had already told SC that she wouldn't finish. She is a very skilled rider. In the warmups of day 1 she was giving lessons on wheelies, nose wheelies, wheelie hops, etc.

Erin and Kurt won their Nomads. At night there was a party (with drinking - shock!!) and karaoke. The race contestants did karaoke, the prize based upon audience cheering was a hard tail frame. I can’t sing and I hope SC erases the video. Kelly and Aaron tied so SC gave each one a frame, choice of Chameleon or some dirt jumper.

The day before we had some contests for bonus time credits. I won the tire changing contest (switch tubes front to rear on a ride ready nomad - 30 psi) and the time underwater in the river contest. They told me to take a victory lap around the other contestants who were still struggling with their bikes. In the river I was not feeling stress at all but they signaled it was over. The others quit so early it was shocking. After that I felt my chances of winning were much better - ha ha. The other contests were time on a tightrope (fractions of seconds), slingshot at beer cans (I lost in sudden death shootoff ), and riding their double jointed bike around obstacles.

Santa Cruz Bicycles took a lot of videos and pictures of the Hellride.
    Check their website.

Last edited by pacman; 08-06-2008 at 07:45 AM.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Fast Eddy this is for you.
    Thank you. That one picture of Vanessa makes me feel like a contest winner myself. :wolfwhistle:

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    But I was in good company the group was 4 ER doctors (2 men, 2 women), 3 nurses, and a BF all from Kaiser in Sacramento.

Now it's time to hydrate, rest, & eat. Coverage will be spotty after this. I don't know what digs Santa Cruz will provide.

Many many thanks to the voters that made this possible. I better give thanks now! LOL
    How cool! I voted for you and catzilla. What an experience.

Small world, today I rode Montana de Oro here in SLO county with a neurosurgeon from Kaiser in Sacramento. We had a good ride, but you had an epic and the wonderful experience.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Slowest Rider

Oh yeah, you won alright

You won the ride of a life time!

I could never imagine doing that ride. I was personally hoping you'd show up the Weir wolf. But you made a great showing anyway just by doing as well as you did.

For me, the pictures of Catzilla make me laugh hard at everything she does. I saw her promo Butcher "bacon" video, so seeing her holding the bacon really hit the funny spot.

Thanks for the pictures and synopsis.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Ride Responsibly
    "Previous to the race she found she was pregnant so had already told SC that she wouldn't finish."
    Congratulations Cat and Ryan!
    Last edited by LWright; 08-05-2008 at 11:10 PM.

Ride Responsibly
    "But I was in good company the group was 4 ER doctors"
    Any chance this group be willing to volunteer your time to work a 24 hour event in Oroville the week before Thanksgiving?
    http://www.lakeorovillebicyclists.org/id65.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    You won the ride of a life time!

I could never imagine doing that ride. I was personally hoping you'd show up the Weir wolf. But you made a great showing anyway just by doing as well as you did.

For me, the pictures of Catzilla make me laugh hard at everything she does. I saw her promo Butcher "bacon" video, so seeing her holding the bacon really hit the funny spot.

Thanks for the pictures and synopsis.
    Nobody's going to show up the Weir wolf without a handicap.
    Catzilla - people have tracked her down and sent bacon items to her.
    She gave lessons on trackstands,wheelies, etc ...

mtbr member

Q: What did you think of the Nomad?

A: I didn't feel any loss of efficiency if I stood up to pedal. Most of us felt the cockpit was small for the bike's stated size. I was getting better on every downhill so I need more rides to get adapted and to tune the fork. I kept upping the ante with bigger rocks and piles of skree. The Nomad went where it was pointed. The motos on sweep said I was fast but they're being polite. For my personal rides in DV I used my 29er El Patron (3") which always feels like home but I wouldn't thrash it over the skree like the Nomad. (Or is it a mental barrier?)

Equipment. SRAM shifts crisply. Joplin seat post is cute but my habit is to not sit down (on downhills). When the seat is down you feel too far forward and the center of gravity of your legs is forced forward. Finally the knees are flexed too much.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    great report!

congrats on an excellent weekend!

awesome stuff!

Team Chilidog!
    Catzilla: I still have bacon stuff for her, but I figured she'd want me to get over my sinus infection first ... "Light beer is for sissies. Water is for sissies too!"

I loved seeing her with the bacon. Heh.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

swag ho Administrator
    This awesome Pacman. Ok, if I republish this in the blog section?

I just need to ask Forrest for some of his super-pro photos of this ride.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sure.

pewpewpew Moderator
    congrats pacman and kristen! you guys are my heroes. what a great experience.
    Love, Impy

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Question for Impy and stripes.

Did you guys miss this little tidbit in post 6? "Coming down I met up with "bacon" Butcher. She was monitoring herself with an HRM to keep her pulse down. Previous to the race she found she was pregnant so had already told SC that she wouldn't finish"

Sounds like some kid picked a great mom. (and maybe bacon is bad for latex).

34N 118W
    way to give it your all, Doug.

nice report - sounds like a blast.

hw

// congrats to Catzilla !!

Flaccid Member
    Riding and racing Mountain Bikes isn't rocket science, but a Rocket Scientist riding and racing Mountain Bikes? Discuss and over analyze. Doug, I was correct in calculating you would need a whole roll of TP for the race.

Does SC make Nomads in 21" XL's, since you felt the cockpit was so small? Nice build BTW.

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005

some more tidbits

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/hel...ve/winners.php

also, for those who don't want to get their google earth and motionbased swerve on from the link above:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    hold my beer...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Riding and racing Mountain Bikes isn't rocket science, but a Rocket Scientist riding and racing Mountain Bikes? Discuss and over analyze.
    Discussions tend to get better with beer and margaritas.

btw, XL nomads are around.

mtbr member
    Congrats to the winners!
    Especially my local club prez Kurt!
    Can't wait to check out his new bike too!

sunnyside up
    What is wild is how the time/distance curve is nearly flat. The uphills weren't much slower than the downhills!
    "...So forget all your duties, oh yeah! Fat bottomed girls, they'll be riding today..." Freddie Mercury

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast