Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    35+ yrs and still not pro

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Heckler Stolen - Now Ibis Mojo HD, Remedy 9.8 or SC Blur TR?

OK, so I went out to put a new part on my bike yesterday and it was gone... bastards! So someone lifted my Heckler out of my garage yesterday around 1PM while I WAS HERE! Pisses me off. However,... this is where it gets good.

I get a new bike from insurance. Looks like I'll get between $4000 and $6000 replacement costs. SO here is what I am looking at for an Upper Park romper that I can take to Downieville and Northstar without having to shuttle (ie, actually climb good). i also used to do 24 Hour events and want to get back into them, so it must go up well. So here's the line up:

1. Ibis Mojo HD
    2. Trek Remedy 9.8
    3. Santa Cruz Blur TR (the new carbon frame)

Any thoughts???

Oh yeah, and if anyone sees my Red 2004 Heckler in Chico, please let me know. I'd love to pay a visit to the new owners...

mtbr member
    Out of those three, the mojo hd is the most park friendly bike. A mojo HD and blur tr are in quite different classes, seems like you might want to take a gander at the Trek Slash and Carbon Nomad.

padded
    Aluminum Nomad. Mine has bombed Karpiel, Dogbone and Boondocks at N*, ridden Big Boulder as a loop from D'ville, and done 6 hr days at Demo. Before that I had a Heckler, which I thought was the best bike ever until I got my Nomad. I'm running an AM build with flat pedals and the only carbon is a Haven bar, and it weighs in at 30 lbs. I'm even converting it to a 1x10.
    There are timesI wish it was a little lighter, but that just motivates me to eat fewer cookies. Take the $$$ you save on the frame (vs getting an Ibis) and buy some nice AM wheels, such as Mavic Crossmax SX or Easton Havens, and run them tubeless.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

mtbr member
    Ibis Mojo SLR or the TR if you really want to climb. HD or trek (or a Nomad)for the park stuff or if you don't mind climbing a bit slower and enjoying the downhills more.

Dropshot Champ!
    friend just got a trc, doesn't even touch the nomadC anymore!

trc or hd. You can't go wrong with a mojo, and you can't go wrong with ibis.

a trek what? lol, different league with the other two bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Pivot Mach5.7
    Because, one is never enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have a 2011 Trek Remedy 9 in near new condition for sale if you're interested. With your insurance settlement, you may be able to purchase my bike and one more

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Is your homeowners insurance paying out that much? I'm curious since I didn't even get close to the value of a bike that was stolen from my garage from my policy. After they depreciated it + my deductable, it ended up being about 30% of the value of the bike

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Paper or plastic?
    I would say: try to ride them all and pick the one you like.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Mojo. Bought one in 2008 for 10 years worth of BD presents and would get another in a second. The great customer service is just an added benefit.

mtbr member
    I think the bigger question is what are you going to do to prevent the new bike from being stolen while you are at home?
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post
    I think the bigger question is what are you going to do to prevent the new bike from being stolen while you are at home?
    It will be in my bedroom closet locked to my dresser with bear spray in my nightstand and my dog sleeping in front of it...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I second the plan of riding each and then buying the one you like best.

I had an opportunity to test ride each of my dream rides (basically) a couple years ago and came away very surprised.

Up at MBO, I test rode the Intense Tracer2, Mojo, TranceX, and Remedy. I only rode the TranceX because I knew it was the least expensive and I wanted to see how it measured up. After riding 15 miles+ on each I was more than surprised to like the TranceX the best! I wanted to like the Mojo, but I just didn't. The Tracer2 was def. the best downhill, but the TranceX was pretty close and was also a rocket uphill (which is where I need the most help!), and the Remedy rode well, but I couldn't get over the ping ting of the rocks hitting the downtube the whole time. Sounded like the frame was about to crack the whole time.

Basically, test ride them all, and I think you might be surprised by the one you like, for reasons that no one on here knows.

Loving my TranceX, although I also have a DH/FR rig, and I would not ride the TranceX at Northstar
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by mtnryder56 View Post
    Up at MBO, I test rode the Intense Tracer2, Mojo, TranceX, and Remedy.
    Basically, test ride them all, and I think you might be surprised by the one you like, for reasons that no one on here knows.
    Yeah, i blew my brakes on my Heckler on Larrison at MBO, so I demo'd a Specialized Stumpjumper and loved the feel of it (though I've been dissing Specialized for years, I used to live in Morgan Hill, so I just had too much of them). But on the Larrison trail, it ripped! I doubt I'll have the opportunity to ride an Ibis or a Blur TR, but I think they have a Remedy demo I can use (and a Tallboy and Nickel I think). I MAY just go the Remedy route and upgrade the parts on it as best I can. THough the Ibis does look sexy as hell, I just want one I can rail Oregon and Downieville on, but still climb North Rim better than before. Not asking for much! ;^)

aka dan51
    HD.
    Best bike ever.
    Best customer service ever.
    +With a fork and shock swap you can go between 2 different bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

bike buster
    If you're a heavier / more aggressive rider, stay away from the Remedy. I broke three frames in two years. While the customer service was excellent, it simply wasn't worth the down time. I've since moved to a carbon Nomad and it's been great. Test ride as many bikes as you can..

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by apensity View Post
    OK, so I went out to put a new part on my bike yesterday and it was gone... bastards! So someone lifted my Heckler out of my garage yesterday around 1PM while I WAS HERE! Pisses me off. However,... this is where it gets good.

I get a new bike from insurance. Looks like I'll get between $4000 and $6000 replacement costs. SO here is what I am looking at for an Upper Park romper that I can take to Downieville and Northstar without having to shuttle (ie, actually climb good). i also used to do 24 Hour events and want to get back into them, so it must go up well. So here's the line up:

1. Ibis Mojo HD
    2. Trek Remedy 9.8

Any thoughts???

Those are fine options. The Ibis Mojo SLR is a fine, fine bike but very hard to get.

The Santa Cruz TRc has better geometry and is one of the best bikes available today. Santa Cruz Blur TRc Review | Mountain Bike Review

fc

mtbr member
    To replace a Heckler I would say an HD.

But with all of the choices you have there you can't really go wrong.

Rider of Berms
    Quote Originally Posted by apensity View Post
    SO here is what I am looking at for an Upper Park romper that I can take to Downieville and Northstar without having to shuttle (ie, actually climb good). i also used to do 24 Hour events and want to get back into them, so it must go up well. So here's the line up:

1. Ibis Mojo HD
    2. Trek Remedy 9.8

Any thoughts???

There are a lot of opinions being tossed out at you, but based on the limited amount of info you've given, none of these bikes stand out as any being better for you than the others. And the reality is they are all sweet bikes. Each of them do something a bit better than the others. Without getting more info from you, in my opinion it is impossible to recommend one at this time.

A few questions that need to be answered before one of these shines above the others:
    1. Will it be the only trail worthy bike in your quiver?
    2. What kinds of riders do you ride with? IE, XC dudes, DH guys, or all mountain riders?

The Trek Remedy is a sweet all arounder. So is the Mojo HD. Changing from a 32 to a 36 fork will dramatically change up the personality and the types of trails the bike will rule on. The mentioned above, the Mojo HD gets the one bike transformer prize because it pedals well, and can be built up in a short or long travel mode. Add an angleset and you can customize it even more.

Someone mentioned a Nomad, in AL and Carbon. Both options are sweet, and it is also a great NorCal-all arounder that is bike park capable. You aren't going to be able to keep up with spandex wearing dudes though. I love mine but I'm adding a Blur TRc and a Driver 8 to my quiver which will cover all my bases. The Blur TRc is a killer NorCal trail bike, but you wouldn't want to ride it down BoonDocks at N*.

The Mojo HD is the only one of the above I haven't done a hour-plus ride on. I was looking at one for a while, but went with the Nomad since I could drop the seat lower, which was key for riding DH/ Park stuff to me.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubsl2 View Post
    If you're a heavier / more aggressive rider, stay away from the Remedy. I broke three frames in two years. While the customer service was excellent, it simply wasn't worth the down time. I've since moved to a carbon Nomad and it's been great. Test ride as many bikes as you can..
    I've also broke my Trek frame several times. My Fuel was only getting about 9 months between breaks. I'm not that aggressive, just heavy. Love my Heckler! Why I haven't changed for 6 years now.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Thanks for the feedback jaisun. Most of my ridding is AM as we typically climb lavacap to get to a nice DH trail ("B-trail" for those familiar with Chico). Then it is fast single track and rock gardens from there back to home. I am a point and shoot/speed is our friend sort of rider, and typically just hope to make it through some of the rockiest gardens, but haven't bailed yet in 15 years of this trail. I found that my Heckler could never be truly "dialed in" so when I rode bikes which were set up for people in my weight class (read: Clydesdale - 210+) I was ecstatic. So I'd like one which will help me spin up hills easier than the Heckler, will hold tight lines on DH and be able to handle rock gardens with ease, be able to take 5 foot drops at the most, and still be strong enough to take my weight without cracking frames or destroying rear pivots. I've been riding for 30 years and am a total adrenalin junkie, but I keep bikes for what seems like 10 years before I upgrade. Most of my riding has been in Oakridge OR. Here is a vid of me on my Heckler, then moving to a demo after I blew the brakes going down Larison (I'm the second rider)
    Chico Mtn Bikers - 2007 MBO weekend - YouTube
    Here is the link to most of the trails. This is exactly what I ride any chance I get.
    B-Trail-Upper Bidwell Park, Chico, CA. - YouTube (fun starts at 2:49)
    Oakridge Area Trail Descriptions | Oregon Adventures (my summer vacation)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    is this your heckler?

Santa Cruz Heckler Dual Suspension Mountain Bike With Shimano XTR

seems close to the parts you had

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    and i would get a blur trc, im about 200 and have taking it on some good rides, it crushes B trail and guardians

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast