ROOOOOOOO

Heavy Metal Destruction

NedwannaB

Zat your bike?

Demo?

Hope you faired better!

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Yessir. Actually I was going over a rather tame section at ECDM and my drivetrain spontaneously combusted. Apparently, I hadn't replaced the chain in a few years, so that may have had something to do with it.

With some help from the crew, I hopped out on the road and single speeded it back up to the car.

Fireball in the Night
    I know you don't want to hear this now, but I always carry a chain break tool and spare links. Broke a pin once on a Tahoe ride and the guy I was cycling with didn't have the tool or the links in his pack. That one time it was used makes it worth "carrying the extra weight".

~Rex
    everyone drives a Used Car

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Oh, I had all the necessary tools..but Brent insisted on fixing it for me, probably so that he'd be guaranteed a beer after the ride.

I keep tools with me too, no worries. We just took a few links out, pulled the der off, and made it into a single speed so that I could ride the road out. Just lucky we had everything and were close to the road so my ride out was easy on the chain.

Fireball in the Night
    Hey!! The world is a much better place after I insert my contact lenses.

Now, I can see yer derailleur is a write-off. Didn't see that earlier. That happened to me on another ride, except that the non-replaceable der. hanger bent. Had to send it to the mfr. so they could tell me they didn't have a replacement. Then, I had to enlist the help of a neighbor with a vise that was bolted down, so we could straighten the der. hanger.

OK. Anymore "been there, done that" replies from me and you'll soon be guessing my age.

~ Rex

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Now I feel old. I just went to google the first "mtn" bike I ever rode and nothings coming up in the image search.

Fireball in the Night
    1988 DiamondBack Apex with the optional "smoke" paint job. The alternative was this green that's probably now the rarer of the two colors --- if one was located.