Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Heavy Metal Destruction

947 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Rex_Skidmore 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Yessir. Actually I was going over a rather tame section at ECDM and my drivetrain spontaneously combusted. Apparently, I hadn't replaced the chain in a few years, so that may have had something to do with it.

With some help from the crew, I hopped out on the road and single speeded it back up to the car.

#4 ·
I know you don't want to hear this now, but I always carry a chain break tool and spare links. Broke a pin once on a Tahoe ride and the guy I was cycling with didn't have the tool or the links in his pack. That one time it was used makes it worth "carrying the extra weight".

~Rex

#5 ·
Oh, I had all the necessary tools..but Brent insisted on fixing it for me, probably so that he'd be guaranteed a beer after the ride. :)

I keep tools with me too, no worries. We just took a few links out, pulled the der off, and made it into a single speed so that I could ride the road out. Just lucky we had everything and were close to the road so my ride out was easy on the chain.

#6 ·
Hey!! The world is a much better place after I insert my contact lenses.

Now, I can see yer derailleur is a write-off. Didn't see that earlier. That happened to me on another ride, except that the non-replaceable der. hanger bent. Had to send it to the mfr. so they could tell me they didn't have a replacement. Then, I had to enlist the help of a neighbor with a vise that was bolted down, so we could straighten the der. hanger.

OK. Anymore "been there, done that" replies from me and you'll soon be guessing my age.

~ Rex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.