Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 49 of 49
  1. #26
    Is this thing on?
    Reputation: Froride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Looks like all the dates are changed to Saturday. This will probably be the only CCCX race I enter - which makes me second guess if I should even go tomorrow.
    DUDE, come out and race tomorrow. You have been training and planning for it. I think you'll be glad you did. Once you are out on course racing, you'll remember why you wanted to do it in the first place. Dani and I been looking forward to cheering for you.

    As for the rest of the series, this is the first date change and probably not the last. Keep and eye on the website and if a race is moved to a Sunday, do it!

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,537
    Thanks for the encouragement, Ken.

    I have a serious problem with mental burnout because I spin so many plates at one time. Not so much with bike stuff... but more work stuff which is non-stop 7 days a week. I have worked every day since the 14th (including weekends), getting home at 9-10pm every night, but starting with my communications with headquarters at 7am - I will not have a day off until Feb 2nd, not including tomorrow. My last total free weekend was Jan 5th and 6th. All my training rides have been during my "lunch" - then it's off to see clients, coming home at 10PM.

    Thing about my job is that I am essentially running my own business... so it's a lifestyle and competitive with my fellow agents. I think this is how I get burned out so bad. It's escalating because I am pretty far behind in production for my month and the pressure is creeping with one week to make my entire month's quota.

    With my heart not in it - I am wondering how effective I will be tomorrow. Last time I felt like this, I walked away after one race lap.

    EDIT: Well, just got back from a primer ride and felt dialed. Guess I'm a go for tomorrow.
    Last edited by Dion; 01-25-2013 at 01:39 PM.

  3. #28
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso View Post
    JL and I will be there
    Will be nice to see you two again!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmallory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement, Ken.

    I have a serious problem with mental burnout because I spin so many plates at one time. Not so much with bike stuff... but more work stuff which is non-stop 7 days a week. I have worked every day since the 14th (including weekends), getting home at 9-10pm every night, but starting with my communications with headquarters at 7am - I will not have a day off until Feb 2nd, not including tomorrow. My last total free weekend was Jan 5th and 6th. All my training rides have been during my "lunch" - then it's off to see clients, coming home at 10PM.

    Thing about my job is that I am essentially running my own business... so it's a lifestyle and competitive with my fellow agents. I think this is how I get burned out so bad. It's escalating because I am pretty far behind in production for my month and the pressure is creeping with one week to make my entire month's quota.

    With my heart not in it - I am wondering how effective I will be tomorrow. Last time I felt like this, I walked away after one race lap.

    EDIT: Well, just got back from a primer ride and felt dialed. Guess I'm a go for tomorrow.
    Sounds like its time for a career change!

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DCTILLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    174
    looks like the weather will be sweet.
    Another Tallboy convert!!!

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,659
    Menso and I will be there.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    265
    Well, looks like I was able to shift things around, so I'll be there after all.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    265
    Well, that was interesting. Someone crashed into me at the start if the very first loop and knocked my wheel out I put it back the best I could, and had to ride with a heavily rubbing rear brake for 3 loops.

    Still was a lot of fun

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    359
    First xc race on a SS HT29 was a experience! Hated the first lap then liked the second lap better and by the 3rd and 4th lap I was having fun weird feeling of not having gears for the downhill sections but still a good time. Cat 2 3rd out of 5

    Some good people on the trails today!

  10. #35
    Lusus Naturae
    Reputation: NoBalance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,798
    Great race. A bit longer and more climbing than I expected from "4 laps" only.
    Had an easy first lap and then really started to feel good on laps 2 and 3, but blew up at some point and lost about a minute or two on the final lap. Got passed by both DeJongs, damnit! haha

    Last place as usual but not that far behind!
    Hope to meet some more people next time ... look for this fool below!

    HEADS UP, CCCX XC race 1 date change. ROLLCALL-cccxpic2.jpg

  11. #36
    ask
    ask is offline
    user
    Reputation: ask's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    749
    SS racers out there - How is the CCCX Ft Ord course?

    I'm thinking about getting in a few CCCX XC races this year on my SS. I'm pretty much a XC racing noob. I've raced Sea Otter SS... how does the climbing, terrain, gearing compare?

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pmarshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,730
    Adam- it is perfect for SS!!! I haven't done it but been behind several SS'ers and they do really well. Come out to the next one so we can both be humiliated! Next is Feb 16. That date might also be subject to change but around that date anyway.
    They never made the "Slowster"

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    SS racers out there - How is the CCCX Ft Ord course?
    Super SS friendly. Lots of short little punchy climbs and tight corners to accelerate out of. The longest climb is something like 100 feet of vertical ascent, so it's just a minute or two and you can really put in a hard effort. There is one short flat road section and one somewhat straight downhill section (which sometimes is run in the uphill direction, in which case it's a non-issue) where you would typically get spun out, but the total amount of time on those is probably not more than a minute or two per lap.

    Normally I ride on the peninsula between Gap and Skeggs. IMHO none of that stuff is nearly as SS friendly as the Ft Ord cccx course. Even Arastradero (my usual before-work spot) is steeper. To be honest, the Ft Ord course is more fun to ride SS on than anything on the peninsula.

  14. #39
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,769
    Photos (or it didn’t happen!):
    Dion:
    Untitled
    AussieBob:
    Untitled
    Omer and Dion:
    Untitled
    D1PHAM (3rd place podium):
    Untitled
    Me:
    Untitled
    JL:
    Untitled
    FroRide:
    Untitled
    Menso:
    Untitled
    SirKrameroy and Mboldt:
    Untitled
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  15. #40
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,769
    Familiar faces in photos from the CCCX website:
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  16. #41
    Is this thing on?
    Reputation: Froride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by paulney View Post
    Well, that was interesting. Someone crashed into me at the start if the very first loop and knocked my wheel out I put it back the best I could, and had to ride with a heavily rubbing rear brake for 3 loops.

    Still was a lot of fun
    Glad you soldiered on. That was a tough race for most everyone. It was a long course, I was toast by the last lap.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfreak View Post
    First xc race on a SS HT29 was a experience! Hated the first lap then liked the second lap better and by the 3rd and 4th lap I was having fun weird feeling of not having gears for the downhill sections but still a good time. Cat 2 3rd out of 5

    Some good people on the trails today!
    Nice job on the 3rd. We rode together for parts of the race, I think you passed me for good on the last lap. I'm the big Quadzilla rider.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance View Post
    Great race. A bit longer and more climbing than I expected from "4 laps" only.
    Had an easy first lap and then really started to feel good on laps 2 and 3, but blew up at some point and lost about a minute or two on the final lap. Got passed by both DeJongs, damnit! haha

    Last place as usual but not that far behind!
    Hope to meet some more people next time ... look for this fool below!
    I hear you. I made it to lap 2 before Menso passed me and the last lap before JL passed me. I did win my class, Clydesdales, but only 2 riders in the class. I'd have been second to last in my age group.

    A few pics from yesterday shot by my wife Danielle.

    HEADS UP, CCCX XC race 1 date change. ROLLCALL-735005_516988458323039_2086827519_n.jpg
    Don't know the rider but a nice shot. She is getting the hang of shooting with a DSLR.

    HEADS UP, CCCX XC race 1 date change. ROLLCALL-388683_516988384989713_843931999_n.jpg
    King Leopold of the Porkstacking the 1st, thats his hand on the left, telling me to get the h$ll out of the way when he catches me.

    HEADS UP, CCCX XC race 1 date change. ROLLCALL-536985_516988391656379_1071375232_n.jpg
    Busted, my wife telling LP to be nice when passing.

    HEADS UP, CCCX XC race 1 date change. ROLLCALL-73748_516988461656372_2095880449_n.jpg
    Me

  17. #42
    Lusus Naturae
    Reputation: NoBalance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,798
    Nice job Froride! I finally caught up to you on the final lap I think and said "god luck" going by. You're fast enough to join the non-clydes category, for sure!

  18. #43
    Is this thing on?
    Reputation: Froride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance View Post
    Nice job Froride! I finally caught up to you on the final lap I think and said "god luck" going by. You're fast enough to join the non-clydes category, for sure!
    Thanks, I remember you passing, even with tunnel vision from fatigue. To race Clydesdale or Cat 2 45-54 was my dilemma. Race Clyde and risk having no one to race or Cat 2 45-54 and get smoked. I guess I chickened out a bit and went Clydesdale. I hope a few more Clydes show up for the next race. I've made big progress over the last year and I expect (hope) it continues. I'd like to be mid-pack in Cat 2 45-54.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    359
    Froride 1 nice job on your race! Thanks for the push I remember asking if you needed to get by during the first lap as I was feeling like I needed to let people with gears get by my so not to hold them up on the flats and downs (need to adjust to spinning out
    Found out a couple things on my first Xc race on a SS..

    1- spinning out is part of SS
    2- climbing in traffic on narrow spots means get off and run
    3- climbing in traffic on wide spots means passing 3 to 4 people and handing it back to them on flats and downs!
    4- thinking on the first lap I should've brought my Tallboy
    5- thinking on the last lap racing SS is a blast!
    6- CCCX races are a blast and the people are really cool

    Looking forward to Feb!

    froride I believe your behind me in the pic?Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359428742.462355.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  31.0 KB

  20. #45
    Is this thing on?
    Reputation: Froride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    535
    Yes, thats me back there.

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    749
    Cat 3 men 35+ age group ran a 1:14... That's... Umm... Fast.

    Cat 2 35+ winner ran a 1:38..?

    It's the same course for both classes right?
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    Cat 3 men 35+ age group ran a 1:14... That's... Umm... Fast.

    Cat 2 35+ winner ran a 1:38..?

    It's the same course for both classes right?
    Cat2 does 1 more lap (+5 miles). So, that's hella fast.

  23. #48
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,769
    My first time out racing (Cat3 35-44) I managed to clinch 1st place with a 6 minute lead (Napa Valley Dirt Classic 2011). Since my friends were heckling me with the ’ol, “dude, you’re a sandbagger” comments, I immediately upgraded to Cat2, where instantly I observed it was a tougher crowd—took me several races to get anywhere near the podium, and on the occasions I did it was because (according to someone who knows who he is!) “all the good Cat2 guys were riding Downieville that day”.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by paulney View Post
    Cat2 does 1 more lap (+5 miles). So, that's hella fast.
    Ahh. I see. CCCX website showed both 2's and 3's racing 4 laps. Obviously a typo.

    Good luck in the points race to all ya'll!

    TWM
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •