mtbr member

Headlands - Oakwood Valley Trail?

Has anyone ridden Oakwood Valley Trail that connects Tennessee Valley Rd to Alta Trail? According to the GGNRA map it is open to bikes but there is a sign at the top of Alta and Oakwood Valley Trails that says No Bikes on Oakwood.

I tried riding from Tennessee Valley Rd but also got stopped and/or lost because I couldn't figure out how to connect to Alta. See GPS trace. There was a sign on one of the trails indicating No Bikes and I wonder if that's the one that would have connected.

I called the Headlands Visitors Center asking about Oakwood, they said according to the map it is legally open to bikes regardless of the sign at the top of Alta.

Has anyone done this connection and is it worth the trouble to ride? I just like another option to take instead of Old Springs or Marincello. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I believe that trail is now signed as open to bikes. I rode out on it recently to see where it went and had many walkers on the trail surprised that it is now open. They were cool with it, just not used to bikes. Clearly, it was a recent change.

The trail was nice enough, scenery-wise, but nothing special. It seems to dead-end. I could see where remains of a trail was, but it was fully grown over. I was told that the regular trail continues on but has a few sets of unrideable stairs up to Alta. Having seen the trail, I think I'll leave it to the hikers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    We rode that once. Long section is unrideable (by me) as it is overgrown and has stairs. Might be better going down/ Won't be riding it again.

aka baycat
    Sweet! I did not know it was open to bikes. I always poached it.

Nice way to spice up an otherwise chill Headlands loop.

mtbr member
    OK, it sounds like I was in the same location coming from T.V. If you follow my gps trace I got to where there was a small pond on the right, a bench on the left and then the trail started heading uphill a bit more followed by a couple of options, a trail that looked like stairs and then another that was a bit overgrown and had a no bikes sign. There was also what appeared to be a trail directly right of the pond which I hadn't checked out.

Last weekend I decided to find the connection from the Alta Trail side and that's where I still saw the no bikes sign for Oakwood.

I was also hoping to find another option getting to T.V. from the bridge. I had tried riding Alta down another time and it took me to some water tower and then residential streets in Marin City. That wasn't the connection I had wanted.