mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Heading to Arroyo Grande in two weeks, need advice!

Biker from VT heading to visit my brother in Arroyo Grande with my kids, but want to try and get an afternoon or two on some singletrack (only...not fire roads, etc). I need some advice on where to ride close to arroyo grand (he's on Vista Del Robles rd), and if there are bike rentals around. He's got an old bike, but I have no idea about its condition, since he doesnt ride.

Thanks in advance for any tips! If any locals want to give me a tour, I'll buy you some beer afterwards!

Medium?

mtbr member
    SLO is definitely the place to ride. Lots of great singletrack to chose from. Here's another site to checkout the trails.

Mountain Bike San Luis Obispo County
    Last edited by 2WheelinChipmunk; 06-03-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    If you ain't first, your last - Ricky Bobby
    Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever - Lance Armstrong

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Montana Del Oro .... google it Lot's of family in Arroyo....Silva's and Gularte's

Demon Cleaner
    Some nice trails at Lopez Lake and in the public lands behind it. Also Huasna area. But for someone coming from out of town, probably the trails in San Luis Obispo are easier to deal with. Madonna Mountain (Cerro San Luis Obispo) for example is a short drive up hwy 101 and easy to have fun on without a guide.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    awesome tips, guys. Thanks a lot...any shops with good bikes to rent for an afternoon, or should I go for it on my bro's old hardtail?

aka Willy Vanilly
    Cambria Bicycle Outfitters is in SLO and I remember seeing rental or demo bikes there (I think).
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

mtbr member
    Lots of good trails in and around SLO. I think all of the shops in town have some demo bikes Foothill Cyclery, CBO, and Art's Cyclery.

trail rat
    Map links in my signature. Many of our areas started as mining or ranch roads before they became City/County/State Parks, these are being rerouted to ST.

Like the 2WChipmunk said, Johnson Ranch has the most, but MdO is mostly ST with a couple fire/ranch road links. Foothill positively has demos, pretty sure CBO stopped, but may have started again this year, Art's does, not sure about Wally.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Wallys won't have mtn bike demos.

Elmoreman tell us more about what kind of single track you want to ride and for how long? Also plenty of people to show you around if you so desire.
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie View Post
    Wallys won't have mtn bike demos.

Elmoreman tell us more about what kind of single track you want to ride and for how long? Also plenty of people to show you around if you so desire.
    Well, I want to ride something different than home, so not woods if possible, flowy, no big drops, etc. Nothing that would require a huge travel bike...

Is that unspecific enough?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by elmoreman View Post
    Well, I want to ride something different than home, so not woods if possible, flowy, no big drops, etc. Nothing that would require a huge travel bike...

Is that unspecific enough?
    Woods? What?

Very few trails that get into the trees here, and then for a short time.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie