Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Wonder if these guys ever question what more can be done on a bike. They didn't get here doing push-ups!!! The last trick is INSANELY good!

Never underestimate the "alpha-male" mentality. A lot of guys do this "extra" stuff to feed their ego. MTB'ing is hard. You have climbing, but descending and navigating with speed on a downhill takes balls, skill, strength and endurance that is just overlooked.

How often do you meet Mr. Alpha Male who will be completely aggressive on a climb, just to white knuckle tip-toe on a downhill? And going downhill is supposed to be "easy". I say some guys don't like that feeling, or they don't have the confidence to maintain control of a bike in that situation, so it's easier to do mud runs and push-ups and squats, where you don't have to deal with your inadequacies.

Conversely, you get a lot of guys who are fast on downhills, but refuse to climb.

Believe me, I'd love to just go downhill and play on technical stuff all day - but I suck at climbing, so I have to suck in my ego and go climb.
    Very well said Dion. I agree with everything you just said. And that last bit you said, that is me 100%, I suck at climbing too, but do it anyway to get to the good DH & FR stuff.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I love doing urban assault rides. If anyone's game, lemme know.. at least when it's a bit warmer.
    With all the interest, this actually might be something we should get going come Spring!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    IN..!

BTW, Dion, I think that purple DJ is sick! Too bad it's sold!!!?

Especially like the lopro bmx bars.. Kind of a Redline Cruiser-ish style.
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

orthonormal
    I never realized I was short on talent until I moved up to the Seattle area for a few years. I guess it was the crowd I hooked up with. My first ride up there, at Galbraith Mtn. in Bellingham was an eye opener. I was used to riding technical trails in Tucson and the Sierras but the slimy skinnies and big drops up there caught me off guard. I kept riding with the same group but was always off the back on the DH while I was usually one of the faster descenders with other groups.

A few thoughts regarding the cross training thing. I've had two lumbar surgeries as a result of being hit by a car while bike commuting. First surgery in 2001 and again in 2003. I have to take a more balanced approach to exercise than just riding or the sciatica symptoms come back. Singlespeeding is easier on me than spinning up hill but either way, if I just ride, I'll be in trouble within a month or two. Add a couple of days a week of strength training + stretching and I can ride all I want. Stretching alone helps some but isn't enough. I seem to need the balance from training opposing muscle groups to stay pain free.

I raced XC a lot between 1994-2006. Some of the better racers, mostly very skinny guys (duh), put up with a good deal of hip and shoulder girdle pain/discomfort doing long hours in the saddle. One of the local Tucson pros started a MTB training business and several of his clients managed to reduce or eliminate those issues with the core strengthening exercises he added to their training. My take away is that if your strength in some area is lacking, cross training can help. If it's not, then your riding won't benefit from it.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    But did you come back from WA with skills-o-plenty?
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Let's stop talking about it and do something about it!

MTBR Skill/Trick-of-The-Month

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Word.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    But did you come back from WA with skills-o-plenty?
    I left a better rider than when I arrived but was never able to keep up with those guys. Some of them post on mtbr a lot. ebextreme and FM are amazing riders, it was fun just watching them ride.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Okay, got the first how-to uploaded on the Skill/Trick thread. Hope it helps!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just about dry on talent and skill. everyday is a humbling experience

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3