Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Have you ever had cortisone spinal injection?

I am having a severe issue with Sciatic nerve pain for quite a while now. I am finishing my second round or Prednisone which does not seem to be helping much this go around. My next fact finding adventure will be an MRI to locate the problem bulging disc that seems to be pressing on my sciatic nerve and causing me all sorts of agony. It is very strange because walking hurts but I can jog/run with hardly any pain at all, go figure! Have you ever had this type procedure done and was it successful for you? I am still exploring options but this might be the only one I have unless full back surgery is needed. I have had a cortisone shot in my hand before to help with "trigger finger" type problem and within 20 minutes, I was totally fine. Thanks for any recommendations or similar experiences you would be willing to share with me. Take care everyone.

Paul
    They never made the "Slowster"

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Yes, I had a Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection to help me through rehabilitation from a lower back injury. Did it help? Yes, it was very effective in reducing inflammation so I could progress through rehab. I would first get a MRI to see the nature of your injury. I wish I would have looked into decompression therapy for my disc bulge because as time went by the I'm suffering from the normal age related degeneration which could have been avoided or pushed further into the future.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    I am having a severe issue with Sciatic nerve pain for quite a while now. I am finishing my second round or Prednisone which does not seem to be helping much this go around. My next fact finding adventure will be an MRI to locate the problem bulging disc that seems to be pressing on my sciatic nerve and causing me all sorts of agony. It is very strange because walking hurts but I can jog/run with hardly any pain at all, go figure! Have you ever had this type procedure done and was it successful for you? I am still exploring options but this might be the only one I have unless full back surgery is needed. I have had a cortisone shot in my hand before to help with "trigger finger" type problem and within 20 minutes, I was totally fine. Thanks for any recommendations or similar experiences you would be willing to share with me. Take care everyone.

Paul
    Are you sure it's sciatica and not something else?

Definitely get an MRI.

Cortisone is a temporary fix.

I'm currently recovering from hip surgery. Been dealing with what I thought was sciatica for over 10 years. Have been doing everything from chiropractic, accupuncture, PT, stretching, etc. Turns out I had a massive tear of the labrum in my hip - it wasnt sciatica.

Hopefully my surgery did the trick. I can start riding in another month or so.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

formerly uncle mama
    Jan 2011
    Hi Paul,

Fortunately, I have not needed one. My brother has had several. He has done quite a bit of compression damage to his spine. He is an ex Pro MX racer. I can only give you the feedback he has given me. Much like the injection you had in your hand, the cortisone works almost instantly. It also wears off quickly...leaving you wanting another. To me it seems like a temporary fix...until surgery. Spinal surgery is scary, I would only do it as a last resort. I don't know your pain level...but, you will more than likely have to make life adjustments/choices if the pain gets worse. My bro no longer rides moto or bikes. He also made some poor choices, as athletes often do. He would get a cortisone shot and race...that takes its toll after a while. Listen to your body...you have to live with it the rest of your life.

Cheers,
    Russ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Are you sure it's sciatica and not something else?

Definitely get an MRI.

Cortisone is a temporary fix.

I'm currently recovering from hip surgery. Been dealing with what I thought was sciatica for over 10 years. Have been doing everything from chiropractic, accupuncture, PT, stretching, etc. Turns out I had a massive tear of the labrum in my hip - it wasnt sciatica.

Hopefully my surgery did the trick. I can start riding in another month or so.
    Good to hear about your surgery. I am confident this is something to do with my overall inflammation I have as a result of psoriatic arthritis. I am getting an MRI most likely before the end of the month. I have never had a back injury before and even though I have had a rough past year with cycling injuries, never my back. I do the stretches and take anti-imflammatory meds. Had X-rays done and I do have a weird anomoly of having a 6th vertbrae where most people have 5. Gaps are all good and nothing alarming. The MRI of course will tell a different story. I hopped on my bike on the trainer for a minute and have no pain. If I lay over an excercise ball it also relieves pain. Thanks for responses guys.

mtbr member
    Saw some info about decompression therapy and will look into that. Really appreciate your feed back since you had same thing. I realize the cortisone might be temporary but considering my hand was fixed and have never needed it again, I remain hopeful. By no means am I looking forward to having more needles, operating rooms or getting drugged up but if it gives me a few months, weeks or even days of relief, it would be worth it. Thanks again for sharing, really means a lot to me.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I am no doctor, but getting old sucks. As they say, it's better than the alternative. As I creep towards age 50, my hand/finger arthritis is more annoying than painful (except when it wakes me up at night with hand curled up, in a tent, on 2nd night of 3 day Downieville trip). Uggggg! I feel your pain. Take care of yourself, or take a break, so you can Mt bike until the end. I would rather skip riding for a few months, and be able to ride longer term, for many years. MRI is key technology, vs 25 years ago, Dr made educated guess. Take care.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've had half a dozen. Its a no brainer.

As said previously, its a temporary fix. The way you need to look at it is that it will give you a period of time...maybe a month, maybe 3 or 4 months of good time. Your mindset is that you're going to use that time to correct the things that are causing the problems while avoiding the things that will aggravate your problem even if they won't seem like they're causing you problems in the immediate aftermath.

Bottom like, get the shot...then get active. Get out of that chair. Get into a yoga class (hot preferably). Get moving, walking, building core strength and flexibility. Do not take it as opportunity to indulge your old, back hurting, habits.

Type A
    I have had back issues for the last 25 years. In the past, I would just man up and work through the pain. Around August of last year, something changed and the sciatic pain became intense and manning up was no longer going to work. I got an mri and confirmed that I have a 2cm, about 3/4 of an inch, herniation at l4/l5 which pinches my sciatic nerve. I have had two injections in the last six months. First, I never thought the effect was immediate. It always took a day or two. In addition, the combined analgesic/anti inflammatory benefits lasted about 6 weeks. The first go round, it gave me the time necessary to strengthen my back. Unfortunately, I reinjured it at the beginning of January. This time, I was unable to walk for about two weeks, just dragging my sorry ass around the house. I got a second shot, which has helped, but it is just a bridge that has allowed me to function, until surgery. By the way, it's scheduled first thing tomorrow morning. Back surgery has come a long way over the years. A discectomy is one of the most routine and successful surgeries performed. Regardless, get the shot, it's a great starting point.

singletrack bound
    L5 S1 18mm herniation. Sciatica pain down left leg outer thigh tingling into calf, foot and toes.No pain directly in my back or spine area. One epidural next day much relief, two weeks later, another epidural much better. Six weeks of rehab off the bike. Funny for me walking the neighborhood worked for me. Back on the bike and that was 5 years ago this month. I do still experience sciatica symptoms occasionally but the exercise ball and some core work combined with three to four rides a week has kept me going.
    Sorrel Seeker !!

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    I have had back issues for the last 25 years. In the past, I would just man up and work through the pain. Around August of last year, something changed and the sciatic pain became intense and manning up was no longer going to work. I got an mri and confirmed that I have a 2cm, about 3/4 of an inch, herniation at l4/l5 which pinches my sciatic nerve. I have had two injections in the last six months. First, I never thought the effect was immediate. It always took a day or two. In addition, the combined analgesic/anti inflammatory benefits lasted about 6 weeks. The first go round, it gave me the time necessary to strengthen my back. Unfortunately, I reinjured it at the beginning of January. This time, I was unable to walk for about two weeks, just dragging my sorry ass around the house. I got a second shot, which has helped, but it is just a bridge that has allowed me to function, until surgery. By the way, it's scheduled first thing tomorrow morning. Back surgery has come a long way over the years. A discectomy is one of the most routine and successful surgeries performed. Regardless, get the shot, it's a great starting point.
    Wow. Good luck, man, hope all goes well!!
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

More Torque
    Hey Paul,

Some quick thoughts.

As others have said, get an MRI to confirm the problem.

I've had two injections; the first didn't do much, but the 2nd got me 3-4 months of relief. Prednisone didn't do much for me either. Ultimately ended up needing surgery for L5/S1 herniation after it wore off. A buddy of mine with the same problem got the injection and it jump started his healing so he could get better. Don't be afraid of the shots, and definitely give them a try if the doctors recommend.

Some of the best tips I got were for pain management. XL heating pad for leg/sciatic pain. Ice belts for pain in the lumbar area.

The internet is full of horror stories about surgery, but it has come a long way an is quite common for this type of problem. A much better alternative than living in pain if you don't get better through less invasive methods.

If you need more info or would like to chat live, let me know.

Oh, and Strava is not your friend in this regard.

-D

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    L5 S1 18mm herniation. Sciatica pain down left leg outer thigh tingling into calf, foot and toes.No pain directly in my back or spine area. One epidural next day much relief, two weeks later, another epidural much better. Six weeks of rehab off the bike. Funny for me walking the neighborhood worked for me. Back on the bike and that was 5 years ago this month. I do still experience sciatica symptoms occasionally but the exercise ball and some core work combined with three to four rides a week has kept me going.
    I still get some pain with riding too. One of the things I've been trying for the last few weeks, and it seems to help, is riding more out of the saddle. Got the idea here.

How to fix the real cause of Low Back Pain from mountain biking. | Mountain Bike Training Programs

Slowest Rider
    About 8 years ago, I developed a horrific sharp pain down my right leg. Felt like someone was pulling off my leg within seconds of standing up and walking, but all pain disappeared when sitting down. Two days before the pain, I did a long 14 hour ride at Henry Coe and pulled my bulging water heavy camelback tight against my back for the first time because someone said it was sagging. Then I did a lot of bike jumps the next day and the pain appeared that night.

I got 6 different diagnosis from 5 doctors including sciatica and "you're too old be be biking". (That last doctor was immediately dropped.) Finally found a good Stanford sports doctor who did an MRI to find a bulging inflammation on the L5 disk. By that time (6-8 weeks) the pain was finally going away so we didn't feel a need for a steroid injection. He said surgery to fuse the disks would make it difficult to bend over and bike. Maybe there's better treatments today.

I did get physical therapy to help strengthen my core muscles, once the pain went down. PT has helped with other pains in my shoulders and neck in the past. The pain lasted for months or years, and something I though was part of being old. But good PT completely eliminated the pain and I'm still pain free today, a decade after these issues. At the time I thought I was old and that was the end, but it wasn't true on any of the issues.

Everyone's situation is different, but from my experience I have a few suggestions:
    *See more orthopedists, higher quality if possible. The diagnosis of back related pain is difficult with wide range of opinions and approaches to treatment.
    * Get physical therapy once you are feeling better. I was surprised at how effective it was.
    * I'd get the steroid shot to get over the immediate pain.
    * Try to determine the source of the injury so you don't repeat it.
    * Don't get discouraged. Good chance this pain may go away if treated right (Did for me.)
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone, going to Dr today, again. Last night was ridiculous and trying to sleep was difficult. I have the heating pad on as I type, also using ice every once in a while too. Trying everything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    get the shot...then get active. Get out of that chair. Get into a yoga class (hot preferably). Get moving, walking, building core strength and flexibility. Do not take it as opportunity to indulge your old, back hurting, habits.
    This. I used a rolfer, was highly effective for me but hurts like hell. Then built up my core and starting doing Qigong(similar to Tai Chi ) and totally recovered. My pain was extreme and I could barely move for close to two months. I did not get the shot.
    Too much sitting is evil!
    Mrwhlr's stepmom rides a 5 spot

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Rolfing is awesome. I did a bunch of it. Its really great for fixing body mechanic issues...imbalances... that create high levels irritation and aggravation of the disks. But I didn't get a lot of relief from the kind of acute pain that the OP is talking about. When I was critical the Rolfer was actually having trouble helping me because I'd be crunched up one side, he'd work that out, then my body would shift to splinting and guarding on the other side. After I was less acute, Rolfing worked better.

At this point I hardly sit at all. I have a stand up desk I'll work all day standing. Getting ready to add a Bosu Ball to the mix just for more core strength and activation. There's not even a chair in the room. My sitting is pretty much limited to driving and eating with the family.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    I've had half a dozen. Its a no brainer.

As said previously, its a temporary fix. The way you need to look at it is that it will give you a period of time...maybe a month, maybe 3 or 4 months of good time. Your mindset is that you're going to use that time to correct the things that are causing the problems while avoiding the things that will aggravate your problem even if they won't seem like they're causing you problems in the immediate aftermath.

Bottom like, get the shot...then get active. Get out of that chair. Get into a yoga class (hot preferably). Get moving, walking, building core strength and flexibility. Do not take it as opportunity to indulge your old, back hurting, habits.
    Pretty much this. I haven't had an issue, but my wife has. She was in serious pain - one bulging disk and another torn. The shot allowed her to do physical therapy and yoga to strengthen muscles that her body had just stopped using (to avoid the pain). It's been two years and she's doing pretty well. She's able to snowboard and run without much issue. She still has occasional pain, but it's nothing compared to the time when she had days that she simply couldn't walk.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Paul
    Paul,
    I appear to have had what you now have. I did the surgical injection, Prednisone, traction fun and all that. Nothing worked for me. The surgical injection did help for a while.

I too could do things like snowboard, bike, but running was not great. I walked with a limp.

I had a bulging disc between L4 and L5. I had to sleep with my knees bent.

I eventually had surgery. I had an eccentric, but good Dr out of Good Sam name Dr Donald Prolo.

Get the MRI and figure out where your issue is.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Type A
    As an update, I had surgery at 7:30 this morning, and I'm already home at 11:30. They cut out a lima bean sized bulge; there's no way my body would have absorbed that back. I have no pain in my leg and full strength in my muscles. This is the best I have felt in years, but time will be the ultimate judge.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    As an update, I had surgery at 7:30 this morning, and I'm already home at 11:30. They cut out a lima bean sized bulge; there's no way my body would have absorbed that back. I have no pain in my leg and full strength in my muscles. This is the best I have felt in years, but time will be the ultimate judge.
    damn dude.

arthroscopic? Or did they cut you open?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Overthehill- good to hear man! Glad it all seems well. Now I am a bit concerned that since having a plate put on my collorbone, an MRI might be an issue. I guess I will find out soon enough. Encouraging to hear about your surgery. I would like to hear how you are progressing as the days go. I am just anticipating the worst at this point and surgery will most likely be my only option. We shall see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Paul,
    I appear to have had what you now have. I did the surgical injection, Prednisone, traction fun and all that. Nothing worked for me. The surgical injection did help for a while.

I too could do things like snowboard, bike, but running was not great. I walked with a limp.

I had a bulging disc between L4 and L5. I had to sleep with my knees bent.

I eventually had surgery. I had an eccentric, but good Dr out of Good Sam name Dr Donald Prolo.

Get the MRI and figure out where your issue is.
    Sorry to hear you have this dang thing too. I have never suffered any back type problems before and this was a rapid onset. Did the surgery work for you too?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I am confident this is something to do with my overall inflammation I have as a result of psoriatic arthritis.
    I remember you mentioning psoriatic arthritis a while ago. Have you been able get or try any of the biologics for addressing psoriatic arthritis? If the arhritis is the root cause, getting that under control could address a lot of the problems, at least it did for me. I had been dealing with arthritis for a few years, basically undiagonsed. I was given methotrexate to start with, which didn't really do anything. When I started taking enbrel the effect was noticeable, in a good way, the next day...Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the.vault View Post
    I remember you mentioning psoriatic arthritis a while ago. Have you been able get or try any of the biologics for addressing psoriatic arthritis? If the arhritis is the root cause, getting that under control could address a lot of the problems, at least it did for me. I had been dealing with arthritis for a few years, basically undiagonsed. I was given methotrexate to start with, which didn't really do anything. When I started taking enbrel the effect was noticeable, in a good way, the next day...Good luck.
    Yeah I did the same routine as you sounds like. I started on methotrexate and it didn't do a thing for me, actually would make me a bit dizzy. Then started a combo of that and Humira and it worked very well. Ended up stopping the methotrxate and doing just Humira (very similar to Enbrel). It is a self given preloaded syringe that looks like a shotgun shell. Hurts like hell but effective.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast