mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Has the Sea Otter Classic race course changed?

Has the XC Cat. 3 race course changed this year? Someone has told me it is different than last year.

Is this thing on?
    There are a couple reroutes but the course is the same. The top of trail 49 going down to Eucalyptus Rd has been rerouted and trail 49 going down to Pilarcitos Canyon Rd has been rerouted all the way down. It used to be a rutted almost straight shot down to Pilarcitos, now it is a very windy less steep decent. It is much longer than the old route. Other than that its the same.

I pre rode the Cat 2 course on Saturday and the course is in good shape. I hope we get some rain over the next couple weeks to keep things moist. Otherwise, it'll be dry and sandy as usual.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I gave it a go yesterday (once I figured out how to navigate around the high school race!)... I think my biggest question after yesterday is: how does one descend the sand dune at the end of trail #22? On two wheels (I have both the on foot and tumbling versions down already)?

The ride back on trail #41 was pretty cool, the hillsides were covered in blooming wildflowers. Hopefully they last 2 more weeks.

Is this thing on?
    I ran down it last year and didn't loose time. During the Cat 3 race there was such a crowd there that running down it was easier than trying to ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBayLaser View Post
    I gave it a go yesterday (once I figured out how to navigate around the high school race!)... I think my biggest question after yesterday is: how does one descend the sand dune at the end of trail #22? On two wheels (I have both the on foot and tumbling versions down already)?

The ride back on trail #41 was pretty cool, the hillsides were covered in blooming wildflowers. Hopefully they last 2 more weeks.
    I was out there Sunday. I pick up a lot of speed, and take the right side surfing down. There's a huge hidden rock in the middle so you might want to watch out for that. A few of the guys I was with hit it pretty hard.