Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Has this cougar checked you out before?

It's likely. Captured yesterday for collar maintenance. I love how the entry reads almost like a personal ad, "she enjoys hunting deer on the steep slopes of Sierra Azul." I think about cats a lot while I'm pedaling up Kennedy at 2.2 mph...

Anyone have mountain lion/interesting wildlife encounter stories? I saw one at Annadel a few months ago, and surprisingly, rather than being scared, I felt so lucky, like seeing the weeping face of Mary in a peanut butter sandwich or something. Been obsessed ever since.

This project is neat, I'm sure someone's posted about it before.

7F recaptured yesterday : Santa Cruz Pumas

mtbr member
    Being from Chicago I don't normally worry about big cats. However there have been sightings in Wisconsin, northern IL and one was shot dead in Wrigleyville of all places a few years back. They are making there way here if they are not here already.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My buddies and I came across a huge cat in Sierra City, years ago. We were on the PCT heading towards Donner...we came around a corner and it was right there! My buddies dog chased after it; I didn't think his dog was coming back. Everything worked out, we got a good story and I don't ride that trail anymore.

Wēk SŰs
    I can only hope to be so lucky. I wear some spandex, and shirts that say "cougar bait" but, sadly nothing so far. Maybe a wink and a smile, but never the mauling I hope for.

I have seen a bobcat at Fremont Older though, but no cougars yet on any of the parks I've been to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have encountered every type of animal at STCP EXCEPT a mt. lion. The strangest animals I've encountered there were frogs. Hundreds of them.

I had a coyote run along side me while I was riding on the Harry Rd. trail one time, though. That was sweet.

PRETENDURO
    Up in Sierra Azul, Iíve seen bobcats on 5 or so occasions, and three rattlesnakes. At STCP, Iíve seen half a dozen coyotes, two rattlesnakes, and a couple dozen wild pigs. On the singletrack in between Harry@Camden intersection and STCP, Iíve seen one mountain lion, two bobcats, and hundreds of fluffy little bunnies. On the singletrack that runs along the Los Alamitos mutli-use trail, Iíve seen bobcats on 4 occasions.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Wēk SŰs
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Up in Sierra Azul, Iíve seen bobcats on 5 or so occasions, and three rattlesnakes. At STCP, Iíve seen half a dozen coyotes, two rattlesnakes, and a couple dozen wild pigs. On the singletrack in between Harry@Camden intersection and STCP, Iíve seen one mountain lion, two bobcats, and hundreds of fluffy little bunnies. On the singletrack that runs along the Los Alamitos mutli-use trail, Iíve seen bobcats on 4 occasions.
    but....have you seen a partridge in a pear tree?
    Last edited by IAmHolland; 12-13-2012 at 08:06 AM.

swag ho Administrator
    A coyote was checking me out yesterday. Wily!

fc

mtbr member
    I think my buddy and I saw 28F before she had a collar. It was at night time and she just sat there about 15ft from us without a care in the world. Beautiful animal.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    quoted for awesomeness
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    I think my buddy and I saw 28F before she had a collar. It was at night time and she just sat there about 15ft from us without a care in the world. Beautiful animal.
    ...licking her chops, wondering if she could take you both down at the same time.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Nope, but one time when my sons and I were riding our bikes along the multi-use trail that runs alongside the Almaden Lake Park, we saw six geese aílaying.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    You should have bought that pretty cougar a drink! That's just good manners. Where were you?

I saw two small bobcats at the top of Bohlman Road, I can't remember if I was riding road or crossing over from Montevina. Tons of coyotes at Fremont Older. Giant salamanders on Table Mountain trail.

Also, once saw an elderly and/or sick bobcat in a neighborhood, at the base of Comer just off Pierce Road. Got a picture. It moved slow and looked really sad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has this cougar checked you out before?-bobcat.jpg  

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    This thread would have much better pictures if it were in the DH/FR forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    There's a bobcat that lives off the Harry Rd. connector trail to STCP. I know when it's around because I hear the birds going nuts.

The bobcats and coyotes around here are insanely comfortable around humans. I saw a coyote wandering around Los Alamitos Creek Trail on a busy Saturday. I told people walking their tiny dogs to be careful, but in Almaden fashion - they laughed at me.

I chased a bobcat on the pavement on Los Alamitos creek trail, as well. It was just cruising on the paved path, like it was nothing.

The craziest thing I saw was a GIGANTIC paw print on that trail. That means, cougars are roaming around very close to peoples homes.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    The craziest thing I saw was a GIGANTIC paw print on that trail. That means, cougars are roaming around very close to peoples homes.
    I think it's the other way around. The humans' homes have definitely encroached theirs.

mtbr member
    Ran into a black bear at Mammoth two years ago....went straight up the tree. Proved to me that we can't out climb a bear...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has this cougar checked you out before?-p1010600.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    so funny and true, if I was one of those dudes w/tons of 'rep power' I would hook you up.

Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    This thread would have much better pictures if it were in the DH/FR forum.

GMM
    mtbr member
    I have spotted mountain lions twice at Mission Peak, both times were evening rides. 2nd sighting was much closer than I wanted as it was in the middle of the trail as I was descending. That was about 7 years ago I think.

Have also come across bears at Downieville, which isn't so rare. Worse encounter was hitting a skunk on an early morning ride. That sucked.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    I've seen a bobcat on the Bobcat trail appropriately enough. I also came around a switchback on the trail descending into Muir Beach from Mill valley and chased *some* kind of big cat down the trail for about 15 feet before it bounded off the trail, I swear that thing was too big to be a bobcat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Rocky Rest bridge, Downieville

Was drinking beers with friends post ride, and a big cat crosses the bridge from the Forest side to the Hwy 49 in late afternoon.

In my state, I just watched bit. Lots of people around, but at that time, no one was near the bridge. The cat then re-crossed the bridge and disappeared.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

Paper or plastic?
    Almost ran into a bear in Truckee this summer. Still no cougar though.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    In the mid-1990s, I came across a full-size mountain lion that was in the creek bed that runs alongside Alpine Road in Portola Valley. I had recently read in the Mercury News that mountain lions were shy around people and I somehow translated that into mountain lions were afraid of people. So of course I stopped, dismounted and went down to the Creek edge to watch the mountain lion. I wised up in a hurry. If the mountain lion had a cartoon thought balloon above its head the thought balloon would be a picture of me between two slices of bread. Actually, the cat looked at me as if to say, "dude, what?" I must have walked backwards with my bicycle between me and the creek bed for about 200 feet, up Alpine Road and away from what must have been a very bemused cat.

A couple of years ago, a smaller mountain lion crossed Page Mill Road in front of me just East of Palo Alto's Foothills Park. I stayed well away from that cat. I just appeared to be untrainable.

Best wishes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    °DAMN, SON!

Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Almost ran into a bear in Truckee this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    ...Still no cougar though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

had a few bear run-ins

in truckee, northstar, packer saddle, bottom of corral in south lake... i'm usually startling the bear, rather than vice-versa
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast