Casey

Has anyone used the Sigma Targa bike computer?

I'm thinking about getting one.

Air Pirate
    I have been using one since summer. It does what it says it will do. About the best that can be expected with a bike computer.

I have not used the heart rate function on any rides, but I did check when I first got it how well that functioned. Looks promising.

I like the fact you can use it as a "hiking" computer with the included wrist-strap/mount. Have not used it in that manner yet either.

I like the altitude functions, pretty neat to see what your suffering uphill or speed downhill really equates to.

Like the fact it is pretty much waterproof. Have ridden in several downpours with no problems.

I bought the second bike mount package, and enjoy being able to use one computer on two bikes.

I also bought the software and interface for my PC. The software is a little bit clunky, but it is nice to have the info from the computer recorded, and to be able to see performance data displayed in several ways, such as charts.

I like the range the wireless sensor and computer have with each other. A lot of other computers out on the market are actually really limited in the distance they claim their sensor/computer will work with each other. This one had the longest published distance I could find.

The only downside I have had with this computer is from something that is completely NOT the computer's fault. I have a Magicshine light I use offroad and when commuting. When I have the battery pack anywhere near the computer, even when the light is not operating, there is so much RF interference from the battery/cable/light that it messes with the datastream coming from the wireless sensor by the wheel. It interrupts so much that my speed readout shows speeds that are not what I am riding, changing at random from higher than my speed to lower, all over the place. I am guessing the rest of the computers functions are compromised when this is happening. I have not yet had a chance to try to shield the battery and cable, or to put on a ferric stop to try and take care of the problem. As a last resort I will purchase the wired mount to use the computer when also operating the light. The wired mounts cancel out any RF interference.

It is a good computer. I highly recommend it.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Casey

... and if we just ...

Thanks for the detailed reply.
    I went on the Sigma site and the bike computer looked really good, and it's German quality.
    I found it on Amazon for $92. That includes the Bike Computer package and the Docking Station package. I ordered it and I'll be using it next week on a Tama-Rancho ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have not used that particular Sigma, but have been using Sigma computers for years and have had good luck with them. I also have a VDO, but do not like that one as much.