Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Like a boss.

To the guy who almost made a 15-year-old girl cry at Tamarancho today.

You suck.

No, seriously dude, YOU ARE A TERRIBLE PERSON.

I volunteer with the NorCal High School Mountain Bike League, and we rented Tamarancho this weekend so we could have a clinic for beginner riders. These kids are freshmen and sophomores, most of whom have almost never been on a mountain bike before. But they're eager to learn, and super excited, and incredibly game. Remember how that feels? When you're young and you really love doing something, but you're not so good at it yet, and every hour you do it, you feel yourself improving? And if you're lucky, you're surrounded by grown-ups that are really supportive and encouraging, and make you feel good about yourself, so you try even harder?

I hope you do.

After working with the kids on specific skills (climbing, descending, cornering, lifting their front/rear wheels) all day in the center of camp, we took them on a 1-mile loop down Goldman to the Serpentine intersection, and then back up a fire road (not Serpentine) to the center of camp. We split 33 kids into 4 different groups, and gradually metered them out onto the trail. They were unbelievably excited to get to put their new-found skills to use on real, actual singletrack. Lots of these kids live in places where good singletrack can be hard to find, especially if you're a beginner rider, and many of them told me they couldn't believe how amazingly fun and beautiful the trail was.

I coached the girls (6 of them) all day, and was their ride leader out on the (again, 1 mile long) Goldman loop. My boyfriend, Brian (who, by the way, is one of the people directing the construction of the flow trail up off of B-17 that you've probably seen but haven't helped build), was bringing up the rear of our group. One of the girls was struggling, as she had fallen earlier near the top of Goldman and had a tendency to get discouraged and down on herself. You were going the opposite way, and my group of girls in front was stopped, waiting to put some distance between them and the riders from a group farther up the trail. As I told them to move their bikes off the trail to let you pass, you made some exclamation that was a strange combination of anger and entitlement. I noticed the look on your face, and took a moment to explain, pointedly, that we were teaching a beginner mountain biking class. You left in a huff.

I remember thinking, "Huh. That was weird. I hope he doesn't give the other girls any problems."

Then you ran into Brian, and the girls bringing up the rear. The girl who had crashed was trying to regain her bearings on the trail, and you screamed at her, "Could you BE any more in the middle of the trail?!?" Then you tried to ride around her, and got hung up on a root, and ended up going over the bars, smacking your face into the ground.

(This should have been your first clue that maaaybe your behavior wasn't the kind that the universe typically rewards.)

Then you got up, and yelled at the girl, "You made me TRIP!!!" By this time, the other adults riding sweep had shown up. Condescension dripping from your voice, you announced your opposition to having this many young people out on the trail. The adults replied with a reasoned explanation of why they had every right to be there, that the kids were only riding a 1-mile long loop that would end for all intents and purposes at the Serpentine intersection, and that they hoped you enjoyed the rest of your ride. You didn't say a word, and once again left in a huff.

I want you to know that even though your behavior made that girl (and the others who witnessed this exchange) extremely upset (how could they feel like they belonged there?!?), they recovered enough to complete a tough singletrack climb later on in the center of camp. I want you to know that even though you acted like an enormous, necrotic dick, other grown-ups they encountered this afternoon on the trail (for the literally 25 minutes they were out there) were incredibly supportive, and thrilled to see them trying their new skills on a real, legit mountain bike trail. I want you to know that when the ride was done, the first girl into camp exclaimed, "Oh my God!! That was so much better than soccer, or basketball, or softball!! That was amazing!!" Another said, "wow, so when you get used to the trail, you don't really think about the rocks or the bumps, huh? That's pretty cool."

Did you feel that way when you finished your ride today?

I hope you did. And I hope that if you read this, you try to remember how you felt when you were learning to ride a mountain bike. I hope you remember how much it meant to feel like even if you weren't super fast, or super skilled, you belonged on the trail, because how could you not, when it made you feel so awesome?

And maybe, just maybe, the next time you encounter some kids who are leaving their heart and soul out on the trail, you'll think enough to leave some of yours with them.

Because otherwise, you are seriously a saddle sore on the @ss of humanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

mtbr member
    wow! good on ya for teaching these future rock stars. sorry about this bad seed...they are few and far between i hope they know.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

mtbr member
    Wow. Great post. Hope he reads it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Lance???

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sorry but I'm tired of hearing about these type of people on the the trail. Road, maybe, but no place for this on the trail. Especiaclly with kids, beginners..

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    wow! good on ya for teaching these future rock stars. sorry about this bad seed...they are few and far between i hope they know.
    I have the exact same sentiments.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    We never should have gotten away from the long Silca frame pumps.

mtbr member
    How awesome! I mean that in a good way for the kids you're teaching. So many times you end up dealing with weirdos on the trails just like in real life. With the support you guys are giving them and the encouragement they received by others, these kids will be far ahead in life. Thanks for taking the time to pass on knowledge and kindness and this jackhole experienced kharma pretty quick I would say.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    LOL,, hit his face, somebody shoulda pointed and laughed like nelson from the simpsons at him

mtbr member
    People like that suck. What's the rush? You're supposed to have fun out there.

Vids of ******guy going endo?

Like a boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    People like that suck. What's the rush? You're supposed to have fun out there.

Vids of ******guy going endo?
    Brian: "I wish. I only wish. Oh man."

I'm sure that the NorCal website/FB page will, however, have pics/video of the kids being awesome. They're the ones that should really get the attention, not these ******nozzles. But I needed to get that off my chest. God, PEOPLE, ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

mtbr member
    So funny... went OTB then blamed someone else.....

We get many HS newbie's training on Diablo, I always give them plenty of stoke, room on the trail or just stop and wait till it clears out...

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Man this peesis me off on so many levels.
    I promised myself One of my New Years resolutions would be to not be so negative here on MTBR but Dbags like this have no place on the trails.
    Last week quite a few of us were working on the new awesome Flow trail that the Boy scouts have so generously allowed us to build, and while clearing logs and doing other trail maintenance on the main trail, a couple Johnny rockets come down the trail at speed and act like we're in the way.
    Give us the hurumfp like we messed up their flow or something.
    Didn't say hi, didn't ask what we were doin, just gave us attitude and away they went.
    F U

Now normally I would usually say something smartassy but I went neck down and and kept focusing on working on getting the awesome flow trail built but next time you can count on a Pulaski up your rear if you don't show some respect, humility, and patience to the people who are trying to make the place your riding a better place.
    I have a friend who's been a trip leader for TFK for over a decade or more and iv'e helped on tons of rides with the kids and I've never seen anyone act like the guy you encountered today.
    Karma was definitely working on him it sounds like.
    Thank you for helping the kids.
    Im sure you told them people like this are few and far between and thats not how we act on the trail or life for that matter.
    PS
    Alot of folks don't want this Flow trail built, they think its the beginning of the end, whatever that means, and we'll have too much fun or whatever, but we need to make it happen.
    If we don't, they will just keep holding us back from being better MTB'ERS and people.
    Tamo is just the beginning and maybe just maybe, one day, hopefully in my lifetime, the birthplace of MTBing, Marin, can be a shining example of what can be done when people come together and SHARE!
    FOCC are not our friends.
    MMWD are not our friends
    BTCM are not our friends
    Rant over.
    Poach till ya puke.
    C ya at Tamo.
    To the guy who almost made a 15-year-old girl cry at Tamarancho today.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358669472.718292.jpg
    I
    I
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad

No Rep
    No Problem
    Banned For Boobies

Save Jesus
    I imagine that if I landed on my face I'd be in a bad mood too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    So many times you end up dealing with weirdos on the trails just like in real life.
    P-marsh, I wish you wouldn't talk about me while I'm sitting right here. If you need to say I'm a weirdo, say it to my FACE!

Seriously, I rode my BMX through my old spots yesterday all about Santa Cruz and it was going down memory lane. I could recall all the times, as a young teen, ADULTS came at me aggressively - one time with closed fist just because he almost hit me with his car. I was small (13 yrs.), and I also remember a skateboarder rushing up and destroying the man's pickup with his skateboard, saving me from an ass whooping. The man pushed me into a bush and had his fist raised to punch me (again, I was 13) before Mr. Guardian Angel destroyed him,

Let this be a lesson to young people - some "adults" can be DCKS! At that point, you just can't reason with them... they need a good "FWCK OFF!" and for all to continue riding, leaving him behind and his dckhead behavior.

From my incident, it taught me that some adults are not the level headed mature people I thought they were. Some of them just need to be put in their place. I would've never negotiated with the guy explaining trail rights, etc. The moment he started ranting I would've shamed him, and told the kids to move on. He doesn't deserve the courtesy of an adult conversation.

On top of the skills and physical lessons you fine folks gave to the kids, that incident taught them something equally as valuable, for the trail and for LIFE. Some adults are just plain dcks, and need to be shamed and ignored, on and off the trail.

Sent from CouchPad via Outer Space

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

How does one "trip" on a bike?

Sounds like a real pro...

Seriously though, I'm involved coaching on of the local NorCal teams and 99.9% of the time while out on team rides we get very positive responses. As coaches we always give other riders "heads up" to what coming, or let them through, as some kids are still learning on technical trails. We don't want to screw up anyones ride/fun/flow either. We also encourage/preach to the kids to not be a-holes on the trail. Another good point GoGo brought up was to be respectful of the diligent trail workers, this time of year normal maintenance usually occurs. We rode there last weekend amongst them. Always slowed down and gave them each a thank you, etc. Some of our team volunteers there occasionally too, especially with the flow section work happening.

Sounds like a rare/unfortunate encounter, also sounds like you handled it well, took the high road, etc. Keep up the good work!

swag ho Administrator
    How come all the 'open letters' here are to jackasses?

Where's all the nice people?

fc

mtbr member
    fits the rider
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sounds like karma reared it's ugly head as is often the case. I live near Deer Park and I see groups of kids all the time and I've got nothing but praise for their teachers! Keep up the good work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

fc
    The nice people on on the message boards getting ready to ride.

Sorry to hear that news Piranha. Great for you for getting out there to help with our youth!!!
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    glad that none of the students were hurt!

it could be worse though--yesterday was the 2nd time in Annadel i saw what i'll politely call the "white supremacist/skinhead crowd) ha ha. i think in general there is a larger percentage of less polite trail users of all kinds out there (although 95% of people that I run into are still awesome).
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

Paper or plastic?
    Karma is working. Glad the kids had a gods time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

don't try this at home
    that really sucks. hope that didn't discourage anyone from going back out there. i just don't understand why people can't be polite and courteous. although if i was with a group of kids and someone yelled at one that was trying to learn how to ride, it would've been hard not to throw them and their bike down the hill.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

fc
    Open letter to Snowjnky. - Mtbr Forums
    They never made the "Slowster"

SOG
    mtbr member
    It's sad to hear that a grown man has to yell at a young girl regardless of skill level. You would think that given the nice weather and a packed parking lot that you will probably encounter others on the trail. It's too bad but a reality that you're going to have bad apples.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast