Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    It's about showing up.
    Thanks for supporting the League Camp. We started those in 2003 a they have been a great welcome and season starter.

I never let anyone mess with my kids; folks often got as good as they gave. Maybe not the best approach...
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    OP, was the guy wearing a local team kit? If so, it would reflect poorly on that organization/bike shop if you posted it here and might spur some internal debate. Just saying...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The sooner kids learn how to tell what matters and what doesn't, the better off they will be. This guy doesn't matter and doesn't deserve our time. Can be a tough lesson but, a good lesson when quality role models are around for guidance. Sounds like the kids learned something about when to just let it roll off and enjoyed their day.

Like a boss.
    We took the kids out again today on a longer loop that took them up B-17 and the extension, so we could show them the work that's going into the construction of the flow trail. The girls were so excited after riding B-17 that they wanted to try the jump loop off the extension, so we took them down it so they could roll it (JUST roll it!) and learn how jumps feel. We ran into lots more riders doing the regular loop, and everyone was really polite and awesome (the way they usually are!).

I think all the kids learned that people like the buttmuncher from yesterday are definitely the exception, not the rule. Thanks to all you guys and gals out there that are just happy to see other people, young or old, on the trail, and motivate them to do their best!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha426 View Post
    We took the kids out again today on a longer loop that took them up B-17 and the extension, so we could show them the work that's going into the construction of the flow trail. The girls were so excited after riding B-17 that they wanted to try the jump loop off the extension, so we took them down it so they could roll it (JUST roll it!) and learn how jumps feel. We ran into lots more riders doing the regular loop, and everyone was really polite and awesome (the way they usually are!).

I think all the kids learned that people like the buttmuncher from yesterday are definitely the exception, not the rule. Thanks to all you guys and gals out there that are just happy to see other people, young or old, on the trail, and motivate them to do their best!!
    You just got your local card.

Still can't tell me what to do tho

Save Jesus
    conflict resolution and de-escalation is also a good mtb skill to learn

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    conflict resolution and de-escalation is also a good mtb skill to learn
    Maybe he just needs a more brutal endo?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Then you tried to ride around her, and got hung up on a root, and ended up going over the bars, smacking your face into the ground.
    Video would have been so classic. I hope he got up bloody.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Maybe he just needs a more brutal endo?
    you shouldn't be wishing bad things on people who displease or inconvenience you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    We never should have gotten away from the long Silca frame pumps.
    With the metal Campy head!
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

Poacher
    Sep 2010

I think it is important to point out bad behavior like this.

If someone in your group pulls this kind of action, you need to point it out. Maybe you have to be diplomatic to your riding buddy if a hot head. I hate to see this kind of story. Great sunny day, out in the woods, with friends, then this! Keep Mt biking fun for all. Don't let jerks get away with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha426 View Post
    We took the kids out again today on a longer loop...
    Thank you for being a great coach/teacher to those kids!

I've had a couple of run-ins with rude riders when I've had the team out on training rides. Similar situation with riders blowing past and pissing about being in their way. I would bite my tongue and show restraint. It was tough not to lay into them. But the kids seem to understand that there will always be jerks.

Plus, I know that some of these NorCal kids have gone on to improve so much that they could easily drop those jerks... up or downhill.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thank you to all the NorCal coaches and volunteers, NICA is a great organization made up of great people. Even if you don't have kids or yours are already out of school if your close to where one of their races are taking place you should check it out just a great atmosphere.

aka dan51
    This could have been an awesome passive-aggressive lesson.

Brian talking to the girl in front of the ****** "See, here's a perfect example of how not to act on the trail. We're all here having fun, but this guys has a bad attitude and is being a dick, and look what it got him. An embarrassing crash and a face full of dirt. Had he been respectful and considerate of others enjoying the sport he'd be going home with dignity and self-respect."
    At which point they start riding back up hill and never acknowledge the dbag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

banned
    Jan 2013
    Point-Counterpoint

I was not out in riding in Marin today.

However, A bunch of my friends were out there today.

Here's an alternate point of view from a rider who is an active member of local groups, a veteran rider who has paid his dues with beginner clinics, trail work days, etc.

"I'll put down in the memory books, if I'm MTB coaching kids someday and running a "beginners seminar," Tamorancho is probably not the idea place to take, what, 50 kids? Nice to see them out, but I hope they were having more fun than some of their faces revealed."

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    you shouldn't be wishing bad things on people who displease or inconvenience you
    I wish you'd shut the...
    O nevermind...
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.

Climbs = necessary evil
    That blows and he got what he deserved.

Today I was nearing the end of a 15 mile loop and was on some tight single track and saw a young boy and his dad riding downhill slowly towards me. I could see the boy was concentrating hard on keeping is bike on the trail, so even though I had the right of way, I pulled off. As he passed me, I told him that he was doing great and keep up the good work.

It's so important for young people to have good experiences in the outdoors and learn to enjoy it. They spend too much time on video games and their early experiences in the outdoors need to be good ones to encourage them to go back,

mtbr member

Good on you for teaching the youngsters and keeping it cool

That guy was a total ******bag...glad he fell on his face.
    Switchbaxr

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Probably a roadie, they are all *****. (some sarcasm)

I was riding on PAVEMENT on my Glory around the lake at home to get from one side to the other, and of course I had my FF popped up on my head. This guy passes me from behind and says "do you think your helmet does any good like that?" I was caught off guard so couldn't think of a witty remark, but I did turn around and go the other way hoping to pass him and see how good his tires do on grass. Oh, he had his bib off, and looked like he had a diaper on.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

> /dev/null 2&>1
    A skilled rider would never blame their own endo on someone else, unless we are talking, say, someone in the middle of a closed course dh around a blind corner.

mtbr member
    There is always a bad apple on the trail and I personally believe that the "Master of Endo" rider got what he deserved. Be a gentleman on and off the trail and have some decency, patience, and compassion when dealing with our future riders. These are the kids that will fall in love with the sport, fight to keep the trails open, and lead the way to all the positive things that come with mountain biking. They will be here long after we are six feet under and teaching them how to handle a-holes like this one will make the trail a better place to be in the future. Kudos to the instructors and all the professional people leading these kids on this ride. Thank you for posting this and as responsible MTB riders that we are, we need to reflect on how many times this incident happens on the trail and really hone our mental skills on how to react in a way that these bad apples in no way ruin the beauty and essence of the ride on each specific trail.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by zgroove View Post
    There is always a bad apple on the trail and I personally believe that the "Master of Endo" rider got what he deserved. Be a gentleman on and off the trail and have some decency, patience, and compassion when dealing with our future riders. These are the kids that will fall in love with the sport, fight to keep the trails open, and lead the way to all the positive things that come with mountain biking. They will be here long after we are six feet under and teaching them how to handle a-holes like this one will make the trail a better place to be in the future. Kudos to the instructors and all the professional people leading these kids on this ride. Thank you for posting this and as responsible MTB riders that we are, we need to reflect on how many times this incident happens on the trail and really hone our mental skills on how to react in a way that these bad apples in no way ruin the beauty and essence of the ride on each specific trail.
    +1 +2 +3
    What he said!!

Also to this neg repper..

To the guy who almost... 01-20-2013 03:24 PM FKFW BTCM built T-Ranch don't harsh on them

Their not helping now are they........

Also If you neg rep me me I'm callin you out so all can see.
    Chickenshits.
    Last edited by GoGoGordo; 01-20-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    First of all, good on ya for being a positive influence.

Second, you should all thank your lucky stars that you don't live in Socal, where similar acts of douchbaggery (sic) occur frequently on the trails, freeways, gas stations, coffee shops, etc. We're moving back to San Jose in a few weeks, and I can not wait!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 01-20-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Lived in SoCal trails and I must agree, no love for any type of cyclist. Sycamore Canyon, Backbone Trail, and Laguna NIguel trails are pretty awesome trails though....

mtbr member
    Not sure about everyone else but I look forward to riding to unwind from the week of work! If I can get a good flow on a trail great! if it's busy with people doing the same as me great! If younger riders are enjoying the trails even better! Basically life is to short to stress out on the trail so "Lance" should wipe the dirt off his face, apologize and walk home and sell his bike! IMO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast